00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jibrail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Worst video game company right now.

2,207 Views | 40 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

For me it's bethesda because they keep making mistakes with fallout 76.

UwU

BBS Signature

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-03 20:18:13

Data Design Interactive.

They may not be as well known as a lot of other candidates, but in terms of actual game design, they are easily the worse game company that is currently active right now. I dare anyone to name a game that they have developed that is any good.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-05 18:01:52

Unfortunately, my answer is Nicalis. I love what they did with The Binding of Isaac, as they delivered on the port very well. However, the revelations surrounding their CEO, the toxic work environment he creates and the way that game designers have been ghosted, neglected and outright screwed over, has really jaded my opinion of the company. The real tragedy is that the wonderful and talented people working there will be punished by the loss of business, as most everyone who has weighed in on the matter have pointed out.

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-05 21:34:29

the obvious fucking scammers with their cube cube tetris style bullshit and other blackjack etc. dumb fucking advertisements with a dude literally holding a photoshopped gigantic check, probably even using some pics of people that dont know their picture was taken and used for the ads, using a guy with an unflattering hair cut and saying "this guy couldnt be a paid actor with how bad he looks! so you know we're real!" fuck that company

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-06 00:57:40

At 2/5/20 11:10 PM, VulcanSurge wrote: Activision Blizzard, Bethesda, and EA are awful though people are gonna forget Bethesda when Doom Eternal comes out.

I agree. Sad that Id publishes through them now.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-06 16:51:23

Blizzard as of late apparently..

Been around since 2004. (as a lurker that is!)

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-06 21:32:06

Game Freak/Pokemon Company.

Okay, fine, putting my bias aside, I'd say Blizzard, given their current controversy with Warcraft Reforged.

BBS Signature

EA, Blizzard, Bethesda, Ubisoft, and Atari. EA will always be my #1 most hated though. They killed countless legendary game series.

Oh, and Microsoft. For killing Perfect Dark, and Rare in general.

Fuck you for that

derp

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-06 23:39:58

CDPR, they keep standards too high

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-07 00:04:44

Whenever Bethesda is mentioned, I like to think that a lot of their incompetence with game development and merchandise they promise is because of pressure from their parent company Zenimax studios. There's plenty of videos on youtube that discuss this, which hit the nail on their point as well. I'm a big fan of their work, Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas was what got me hooked onto them. I'm still hoping they change the way they make their games and how they plan to meet the standards of their fans. Delaying the release of Doom Eternal seems like a good sign. I'd rather wait out plenty of delays then be given a game that feels unifinished and buggy.

Unclear, Understand, Unreal

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-07 12:30:43

Yeah, I agree.

UwU

BBS Signature

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-07 18:00:18

Konami. Turning Silent Hill into Pachinko! They also gave the boot to Kojima and Igarashi though I suppose because of that at least I got Bloodstained Ritual Of The Night when Iga went independent then reunited the "good ol crew" for music compositions and additional art!

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-07 18:44:58

At 2/3/20 03:35 PM, TimeWizard777 wrote: For me it's bethesda because they keep making mistakes with fallout 76.

EA, Bethesda, and Blizzard that's now common sense

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-08 09:29:00

Probably some obscure Chinese company that make predatory cash grab games for mobiles and iPads and stuff. But of course everyone is gonna name the big names like Bethesda, EA and Ubisoft because they actually make games we know and care about.

Of course you still get to think they're shit because they are.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-08 10:01:32

At 2/8/20 09:29 AM, Mismo wrote: But of course everyone is gonna name the big names like Bethesda, EA and Ubisoft because they actually make games we know and care about.

This is why I hate questions like this. It rarely has to do with actual quality of the games themselves and more around the lines of whatever big publisher fucks up at the moment. While they do deserve heavy scrutiny, (especially Bethesda’s continued fall from grace) it’s more so just a matter of effort, as all of them do make great games when they want to.

The most objective answer is companies like Rebellion, DDI and other low effort hacks who constantly make shitty titles, but never get the heat that they deserve because they fly under the radar, and gaming interest tends to only focused on AAA blockbusters and indie darlings with little in between, if that.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-08 14:08:55

THEY KEEP PUSHING THEIR FUCKING SHITiu_92203_6319825.jpg

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-08 14:12:23

At 2/8/20 10:01 AM, orangebomb wrote:
At 2/8/20 09:29 AM, Mismo wrote: But of course everyone is gonna name the big names like Bethesda, EA and Ubisoft because they actually make games we know and care about.
This is why I hate questions like this. It rarely has to do with actual quality of the games themselves and more around the lines of whatever big publisher fucks up at the moment. While they do deserve heavy scrutiny, (especially Bethesda’s continued fall from grace) it’s more so just a matter of effort, as all of them do make great games when they want to.

I mean, the thread's name is "worst video game companies right now"

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-08 14:19:40

At 2/5/20 06:01 PM, DarthBotto wrote: Unfortunately, my answer is Nicalis. I love what they did with The Binding of Isaac, as they delivered on the port very well. However, the revelations surrounding their CEO, the toxic work environment he creates and the way that game designers have been ghosted, neglected and outright screwed over, has really jaded my opinion of the company. The real tragedy is that the wonderful and talented people working there will be punished by the loss of business, as most everyone who has weighed in on the matter have pointed out.

They're from California and run by a guy named Tyrone, whatever did you expect, a homely Costco-style atmosphere?

iu_92204_964020.jpg

Western media has descended to the level of Soviet media, pre-Glasnost, except the American people largely still drink from that poisoned well, thinking it provides "news."

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-08 15:01:37

At 2/8/20 09:29 AM, Mismo wrote: Probably some obscure Chinese company that make predatory cash grab games for mobiles and iPads and stuff. But of course everyone is gonna name the big names like Bethesda, EA and Ubisoft because they actually make games we know and care about.

uhh, they're hardly kinda obscure anymore when they're buying controlling stock in hollywood studios!

Elevent billions in revenue a year also means that predation is big business, and business sure is good!

iu_92214_964020.jpg

Two honorary runners up though would have to be Giant and 'our' very own R2 (see: wartune, league of ___), who don't make games so much as buy them, rebrand them, and run off the free players so they can milk the whales dry. (Might recall these used to be owned by Kabam) You gotta be extra ruthless to stand up to an empire backed by the Chinese government, after all! Pretty much every 'free' flash-based or mobile MMO is getting snapped up by those two the past few years.

Thank gawd Fantasy Online died before they hit the scene I guess! Was a cute li'l thing I'd hate to see with jacked up prices.

Giant also launches insane amounts of lawfare at Japan to force them into Chinese courts and steal their IPs there.

That's the purpose of making Blatantly Obvious Clones through no-name subsidiaries like Pocky Pirates/Ninja

They want to be sued..... but if you do, you'd be stepping into a nasty little trap! They stole the 2.5D Dynasty game from Koei that way. Of course that was probably easier to lose than most since it was based on Chinese history.

Once you sue you'd be surprised to find that little 'nobody company' can suddenly afford 10k/hour hotshot mega firms!

Chinese court ruled in their favour and said they'd made their assets first, F how long the 3D version has been around!

Or that Capcom had made 2D beat'emups in the same style back in the 90s with no trouble.

They also swiped the rights for Bleach Online the same way.

The only consolation is Giant and R2 aren't very "big thinkers," you can tell immediately you're playing one of their offerings once you know the menu layout/combat and gambling systems to look for.

If the insane tiers of P2W madness and unending 'special offer pop-ups' during play hadn't tipped you off first, that is.

You can also tell when they buy stake in a US company similarly. All contests get a few dozen zeros impossible for free players to attain strewn in here and there, 'campaign quests' will now take multiple months if not YEARS to complete free, etc

Western media has descended to the level of Soviet media, pre-Glasnost, except the American people largely still drink from that poisoned well, thinking it provides "news."

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-08 17:59:28

At 2/8/20 02:12 PM, solitonmedic wrote: I mean, the thread's name is "worst video game companies right now"

I’m not questioning your observation, but that wasn’t the point I was making. The point is that every time a conversation of bad game companies pops up, EA, Activision Blizzard and/or Bethesda seems to be the default answer, despite the fact that there are worse game companies in terms of measurable quality, and they rarely if ever get called out for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-08 18:41:14

At 2/8/20 03:01 PM, OpusFreiling wrote:
At 2/8/20 09:29 AM, Mismo wrote: Probably some obscure Chinese company that make predatory cash grab games for mobiles and iPads and stuff. But of course everyone is gonna name the big names like Bethesda, EA and Ubisoft because they actually make games we know and care about.

uhh, they're hardly kinda obscure anymore when they're buying controlling stock in hollywood studios!
Elevent billions in revenue a year also means that predation is big business, and business sure is good!

Two honorary runners up though would have to be Giant and 'our' very own R2 (see: wartune, league of ___), who don't make games so much as buy them, rebrand them, and run off the free players so they can milk the whales dry. (Might recall these used to be owned by Kabam) You gotta be extra ruthless to stand up to an empire backed by the Chinese government, after all! Pretty much every 'free' flash-based or mobile MMO is getting snapped up by those two the past few years.
Thank gawd Fantasy Online died before they hit the scene I guess! Was a cute li'l thing I'd hate to see with jacked up prices.
Giant also launches insane amounts of lawfare at Japan to force them into Chinese courts and steal their IPs there.
That's the purpose of making Blatantly Obvious Clones through no-name subsidiaries like Pocky Pirates/Ninja
They want to be sued..... but if you do, you'd be stepping into a nasty little trap! They stole the 2.5D Dynasty game from Koei that way. Of course that was probably easier to lose than most since it was based on Chinese history.
Once you sue you'd be surprised to find that little 'nobody company' can suddenly afford 10k/hour hotshot mega firms!
Chinese court ruled in their favour and said they'd made their assets first, F how long the 3D version has been around!
Or that Capcom had made 2D beat'emups in the same style back in the 90s with no trouble.
The only consolation is Giant and R2 aren't very "big thinkers," you can tell immediately you're playing one of their offerings once you know the menu layout/combat and gambling systems to look for.
If the insane tiers of P2W madness and unending 'special offer pop-ups' during play hadn't tipped you off first, that is.
You can also tell when they buy stake in a US company similarly. All contests get a few dozen zeros impossible for free players to attain strewn in here and there, 'campaign quests' will now take multiple months if not YEARS to complete free, etc

Gotta agree with you....if I'm to be 100% honest Chinese corporations like Tencent are terrible and ruthless when it comes to buying up stocks in other big companies. I mean we already know they're in a threeway with Actvision and Blizzard! That and they're the proprietors of loot boxes and whale-milking insanity.

One thing I do question is why can a Chinese court call anyone in to take control of ips? I mean if some Russian guy has a beef with me over a shit-post do I have to fly all the way to Russia to be tried by a Russian court? If I was a Japanese person who knew I was in the right I'd laugh and tell China and their courts to fuck themselves. What are they gonna do? Cut me off from their cheap knock off products? I think I'll live!

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-09 06:23:06

RobTopGames AB.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-09 16:44:06

At 2/8/20 06:41 PM, nightsavior wrote:

Gotta agree with you....if I'm to be 100% honest Chinese corporations like Tencent are terrible and ruthless when it comes to buying up stocks in other big companies. I mean we already know they're in a threeway with Actvision and Blizzard! That and they're the proprietors of loot boxes and whale-milking insanity.

One thing I do question is why can a Chinese court call anyone in to take control of ips? I mean if some Russian guy has a beef with me over a shit-post do I have to fly all the way to Russia to be tried by a Russian court? If I was a Japanese person who knew I was in the right I'd laugh and tell China and their courts to fuck themselves. What are they gonna do? Cut me off from their cheap knock off products? I think I'll live!

It's a yuuuuge market, and the Chinese are uh.... known to be very competitive when it comes to P2W

(plus, especially in the case of japan, their clone games are kind of invasive, down to hunting down ad buys and planting theirs right next to yours, or scheduling tournaments or conventions on the same day as yours. In short, they're dicks)

Sometimes it's worth the risk, though not for such big IPs. It's a little hard to explain without a dozen legal links but the gist is their copyright laws take precedence over international 'on the mainland' the way they're written up and they can and will shut you out (ie anyone that wants to play the game would need to go the trouble of getting a VPN....most of which are 'illegal' It's effectively monopolisation of a sort.)

and similar to how if you want to open a business there they need a controlling percentage before allowing it, opening an online game 'on the mainland' means one of the Big 3 need to "sponsor" you at the least.

And in the same way they often steal technical data from manufacturers they partner with... if you aren't careful with how you launch, they'll strip and replicate your entire code! RIP Cloudstone you were too good for this earf o7

And yeah, India has an equally sized market you could say, but they're hardcore "freemiums" mostly. There's not a lot they go completely apeshit for and drive themselves into personal debt the way the Chinese do.

Basically even if you don't want to try and enter their market, they'll cook up some way to make you if you're big enough. If only just to force a confrontation on their home turf, with a plethora of excuses and "accidental delays" over why they can't fight it out in yours.

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-09 17:04:21

At 2/9/20 04:44 PM, OpusFreiling wrote:
At 2/8/20 06:41 PM, nightsavior wrote:

It's a yuuuuge market, and the Chinese are uh.... known to be very competitive when it comes to P2W
(plus, especially in the case of japan, their clone games are kind of invasive, down to hunting down ad buys and planting theirs right next to yours, or scheduling tournaments or conventions on the same day as yours. In short, they're dicks)
Sometimes it's worth the risk, though not for such big IPs. It's a little hard to explain without a dozen legal links but the gist is their copyright laws take precedence over international 'on the mainland' the way they're written up and they can and will shut you out (ie anyone that wants to play the game would need to go the trouble of getting a VPN....most of which are 'illegal' It's effectively monopolisation of a sort.)
and similar to how if you want to open a business there they need a controlling percentage before allowing it, opening an online game 'on the mainland' means one of the Big 3 need to "sponsor" you at the least.
And in the same way they often steal technical data from manufacturers they partner with... if you aren't careful with how you launch, they'll strip and replicate your entire code! RIP Cloudstone you were too good for this earf o7
And yeah, India has an equally sized market you could say, but they're hardcore "freemiums" mostly. There's not a lot they go completely apeshit for and drive themselves into personal debt the way the Chinese do.
Basically even if you don't want to try and enter their market, they'll cook up some way to make you if you're big enough. If only just to force a confrontation on their home turf, with a plethora of excuses and "accidental delays" over why they can't fight it out in yours.

Yeah.....fuck those guys! Don't get me wrong,once in awhile a really good indie game comes out of China from a truly passionate tiny game studio but their mobile games and MMOS are spyware ridden/whale-fishing trash.

Don't know what I hate more. Rockstar's reluctance to fix RDR2, or how angry I still am that Tencent turned communist and disabled trades. I literally bought the game just to make money. Now it just sits in my Steam library mocking me.

Edit: Oh and Konami. I was more excited for Silent Hills than I am for CBP2077

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-10 08:16:24

well, i think Valve is next EA over trade hold and threat people working on team fortress 2...

man, i can't believe gaben is greedy piggy. maybe he need liposuction

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-10 08:36:44

Everybody complains about how bad the big triple a companies but no one really talks about how slimy and manipulative mobile game developers are

dio brando cum burger

BBS Signature

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-10 11:26:35

All of them

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-16 17:34:04

EA or Activision-Blizzard. I'm not torn between the two. I just can't tell them apart right now.

Response to Worst video game company right now. 2020-02-20 20:00:59

In terms of mobile game developers, Playgendary is by far the worst company out there when considering their size. Their games are riddled with advertisements.

But, I could have easily said nearly the entire mobile games industry and I would have been pretty accurate as well. Nearly every ad played on a free mobile game is incredibly predatory. They use fake playable demos, fake x's, near invisible x's. Whatever you can possibly imagine just to get one person to download their game, that isn't any different from the 10 other zipline games.