00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of February we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 194 people to reach our goal of 3,100 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in March!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

China flu

1,233 Views | 56 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

China flu 2020-01-25 15:30:14

As of today, January 25 (or 26 i guess) about 1,400 people are infected with the coronavirus in China, and 42 are dead. There are also 43 confirmed cases abroad in 13 countries, and even more suspected cases in nine more countries. 11 cities in China have been quarantined, and now they're attempting to build two new hospitals in literally less than a week.

Possible 2009 repeat incoming?

Response to China flu 2020-01-25 16:33:53

At what point should I leave society into total self isolation in the wilderness? Asking for a friend.

Tempus Edax Rerum

BBS Signature

Response to China flu 2020-01-25 18:17:27 (edited 2020-01-25 18:24:24)

Would getting your flu or pneumonia shot this year help at all? Because I haven't had a either of them since I was a minor.

Response to China flu 2020-01-25 19:44:15

At 1/25/20 06:17 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Would getting your flu or pneumonia shot this year help at all? Because I haven't had a either of them since I was a minor.

It wouldn't. This is a brand new strain.

Response to China flu 2020-01-25 21:29:03

The fact that we are talking about another China virus tells you something of that country. It's another virus that jumped from animal (pigs) to humans.

The most bothersome thing about the coronavirus is that the infected person doesn't show symptoms for a few days, and when first symptoms do appear they seem like any common flue, or cold, but when it progresses further it can send you to the hospital. Most people can survive it, but it hits the weak the hardest, like the elderly and people who have weak immune systems.

China is trying to do all they can to contain it, even shutting down public transportation - though they were a few weeks late in responding to it. It's already hit US shores, bu tit seems to better contained by all the preventive actions by the CDC. We will see how this plays out in the coming weeks.

Response to China flu 2020-01-25 21:50:49 (edited 2020-01-25 21:53:15)

The CDC recommends a respiratory mask with a P100 filter apparently a P100 filter is enough to filter out influenza, swine flu, pneumonia, SARS and MERS and should be able to keep the viruses out.

Though the practicality of wearing a face mask is kind of silly unless you live in a heavily populated city in a developing country.

They are pretty cheap though

Response to China flu 2020-01-25 22:08:53

At 1/25/20 09:50 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: The CDC recommends a respiratory mask with a P100 filter apparently a P100 filter is enough to filter out influenza, swine flu, pneumonia, SARS and MERS and should be able to keep the viruses out.
Though the practicality of wearing a face mask is kind of silly unless you live in a heavily populated city in a developing country.

I see a lot of people in Shanghai wearing those in pictures of heavy smog days, so I guess that helps with that? Though I still wouldn't want to live there.

Response to China flu 2020-01-25 23:52:59

At 1/25/20 10:08 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 1/25/20 09:50 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: The CDC recommends a respiratory mask with a P100 filter apparently a P100 filter is enough to filter out influenza, swine flu, pneumonia, SARS and MERS and should be able to keep the viruses out.

I see a lot of people in Shanghai wearing those in pictures of heavy smog days, so I guess that helps with that? Though I still wouldn't want to live there.

I’m no medical expert, though I would probably wager that this will be not that much different than the SARS outbreak that spread around China for a couple of months before burning itself out.

As for the masks, they are practically ubiquitous in major Asian cities (Seoul, Tokyo, etc.) with very dense populations, and we rarely if ever hear about these diseases spreading there, though that may also have to do with cleanliness being a much higher priority than in China. (Of course, I would imagine that the Chinese know this as well with the masks, and the protection against the smog is a bonus)

While we should acknowledge that any disease can break out on a huge scale, (Which really shouldn’t come as a huge surprise to China) the rule of thumb is that the more hyped up a disease really is, the less threatening they really are, especially when they are caught this early and quarantines can be set up and scientists can figure them out. Remember when everyone lost their shit about the bird/swine flu, and how it ended up becoming nothing than a random strain of flu that was easily dealt with?

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to China flu 2020-01-27 17:45:47

Western media has descended to the level of Soviet media, pre-Glasnost, except the American people largely still drink from that poisoned well, thinking it provides "news."

Response to China flu 2020-01-27 19:45:07

This map tracks coronavirus reports and deaths.

One thing that immediately stands out is the graph on the left-hand side of the page showing total confirmed cases in China vs. other countries. Chinese cases continue to skyrocket, whereas other countries are steady. My guess is it has to do with quarantine procedures in China.

Response to China flu 2020-01-27 22:58:32

At 1/27/20 05:45 PM, OpusFreiling wrote: http://www.interaksyon.com/politics-issues/2020/01/24/160692/coronavirus-wuhan-deportation-order-aklan-philippines/ ain't taking no chances, and going full Madagascar here, haha

*laughs in Greenland*

BBS Signature

Response to China flu 2020-01-28 09:34:27

At 1/27/20 07:45 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: This map tracks coronavirus reports and deaths.

One thing that immediately stands out is the graph on the left-hand side of the page showing total confirmed cases in China vs. other countries. Chinese cases continue to skyrocket, whereas other countries are steady. My guess is it has to do with quarantine procedures in China.

The virus originated in a densely populated city in China so of course there's more cases there.

Response to China flu 2020-01-28 10:21:19

At 1/28/20 09:34 AM, Entice wrote:
At 1/27/20 07:45 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: This map tracks coronavirus reports and deaths.

The virus originated in a densely populated city in China so of course there's more cases there.

the virus must have been created, because a virus cant just appear out of thin air

Response to China flu 2020-01-28 20:19:28 (edited 2020-01-28 20:21:47)

RIP Hong Kong 8 confirmed cases and you're still getting your ass beat by police batons

BBS Signature

Response to China flu 2020-01-28 21:02:29

At 1/28/20 10:21 AM, Kieran wrote:
At 1/28/20 09:34 AM, Entice wrote:

the virus must have been created, because a virus cant just appear out of thin air

It jumped from animals to humans, which can be the worst. Some of the worst virus in human history crossed over like this.

Response to China flu 2020-01-28 21:55:48

At 1/28/20 09:02 PM, EdyKel wrote: It jumped from animals to humans, which can be the worst. Some of the worst virus in human history crossed over like this.

Was it bats or not? I'm hearing conflicting information.

Response to China flu 2020-01-28 22:57:49

At 1/28/20 09:55 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 1/28/20 09:02 PM, EdyKel wrote: It jumped from animals to humans, which can be the worst. Some of the worst virus in human history crossed over like this.

From what I have been hearing, it came from pigs in China - and they have been warning about this for years, it seems (2018 article).

Response to China flu 2020-01-29 10:17:47

Did anyone notice the information that the only Chinese laboratory that can handle viruses like ebola, SARS etc. is in Wuhan? It is also located near the market that is blamed to be a source of the virus. Maybe they are simply not telling the truth and somehow the virus escaped from the lab or was simply taken out by someone?

Equal medal chances for everyone!

Response to China flu 2020-01-29 11:44:43 (edited 2020-01-29 11:45:05)

At 1/29/20 10:17 AM, HerbieG wrote: Did anyone notice the information that the only Chinese laboratory that can handle viruses like ebola, SARS etc. is in Wuhan? It is also located near the market that is blamed to be a source of the virus. Maybe they are simply not telling the truth and somehow the virus escaped from the lab or was simply taken out by someone?

Why yes! I did notice that.

Perhaps one of you Rationalists like EdyKel can explain to my simple mind, in the most patronising way possible, why Pitbright UK owns the patent to this virus? Filed in 2015 and granted in 2018: patents.justia.com/patent/10130701

Response to China flu 2020-01-29 13:47:34 (edited 2020-01-29 13:56:38)

At 1/29/20 11:44 AM, AcidX wrote:
At 1/29/20 10:17 AM, HerbieG wrote: Did anyone notice the information that the only Chinese laboratory that can handle viruses like ebola, SARS etc. is in Wuhan? It is also located near the market that is blamed to be a source of the virus. Maybe they are simply not telling the truth and somehow the virus escaped from the lab or was simply taken out by someone?
Why yes! I did notice that.

Perhaps one of you Rationalists like EdyKel can explain to my simple mind, in the most patronising way possible, why Pitbright UK owns the patent to this virus? Filed in 2015 and granted in 2018: patents.justia.com/patent/10130701

Sure thing "boy who cries crisis actors". The coronavirus is not one strain, it's a a category that covers an entire family of virus strains that affects birds and mammals, causing different effects (in pigs it cause diarrhea). In humans It typically affects our respiratory system. The most common name for mild strains of the coronavirus is the "common cold". The coronavirus family also include more lethal strains such as SARS and MERS.

A strain of the coronavirus jumped species in China, from pigs to humans - 70% of our diseases come from animals, mostly through contact or from eating them. This particular strain of the coronavirus has been identified since 2012, causing Diarrhea in pigs, with warnings it could cross over to humans. The most common explanation for how it crossed over is most likely a lack of regulations over sanitary conditions in Chines pig farms, as the Chines government probably looked the other way with the rapid growth of the pork industry to meet skyrocketing demand for pork in a growing Chines economy - even the US exports pork to China to meet it's insatiable demand, with many large US pork farms now owned by China.

As for the patent... It was for a weakened strain of the virus, with the aim of trying to find a cure in birds and other animals.

If you actually did just little bit of research to critique your own conclusion, instead of just accepting what ever someone throws out there on the net in order to bend you over to make you moan with pleasure, people like me wouldn't expose how foolish and gullible you are with a simple and basic google search.

Response to China flu 2020-01-29 15:42:18

Ah yay, my favourite. Thank you.

Although the question is why have Pitbright got ownership of this patent?

iu_89214_741767.gif

This thread already covers some strains. That is what the Patent is for:

Alpha 

• Canine coronavirus (CCoV)
  • Feline coronavirus (FeCoV)
  • Human coronavirus 229E (HCoV-229E)
  • Porcine epidemic diarrhoea virus (PEDV)
  • Transmissible gastroenteritis virus (TGEV)
  • Human Coronavirus NL63 (NL or New Haven)

Beta 

• Bovine coronavirus (BCoV)
  • Canine respiratory coronavirus (CRCoV)—Common in SE Asia and Micronesia
  • Human coronavirus OC43 (HCoV-OC43)
  • Mouse hepatitis virus (MHV)
  • Porcine haemagglutinating encephalomyelitis virus (HEV)
  • Rat coronavirus (Roy). Rat Coronavirus is quite prevalent in Eastern Australia where, as of March/April 2008, it has been found among native and feral rodent colonies.
  • (No common name as of yet) (HCoV-HKU1)
  • Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV)
  • Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV)

Gamma 

• Infectious bronchitis virus (IBV)
  • Turkey coronavirus (Bluecomb disease virus)
  • Pheasant coronavirus
  • Guinea fowl coronavirus

Delta 

• Bulbul coronavirus (BuCoV)
  • Thrush coronavirus (ThCoV)
  • Munia coronavirus (MuCoV)
  • Porcine coronavirus (PorCov) HKU15

So is this Sequence ID unknown?

Response to China flu 2020-01-29 19:10:58 (edited 2020-01-29 19:25:27)

At 1/28/20 10:57 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 1/28/20 09:55 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
From what I have been hearing, it came from pigs in China - and they have been warning about this for years, it seems (2018 article).

Now, it doesn't seem like they know where it came from. Bats are back as a main suspect, since they were the prime suspect of other coronaviruse outbreaks, like SARS and MERS - but other animals (including snakes) haven't been ruled out.

The problem with this strain (2019-nCoV) is that it has a 14 day incubation period, and is infectious during that time, which makes tracking it down difficult.

On another note:

QAnon conspiracy theorists are telling people to drink bleach as a cure against the deadly Wuhan coronavirus

Response to China flu 2020-01-29 21:29:24

At 1/29/20 07:10 PM, EdyKel wrote: On another note:
QAnon conspiracy theorists are telling people to drink bleach as a cure against the deadly Wuhan coronavirus

People are also wearing giant plastic bottles on their heads on public transportation. I didn't even know they made them that big.

Response to China flu 2020-01-29 21:30:47

At 1/28/20 10:57 PM, EdyKel wrote: From what I have been hearing, it came from pigs in China - and they have been warning about this for years, it seems (2018 article).

Not surprised they didn't act, seeing how it took them three weeks to even act against what's going on now. By then it was the equivalent of shutting the barn doors when the cows are seven states away.

Response to China flu 2020-01-31 13:12:53

I am in no way trying to say the flu outta China isn't a possibly very serious problem that needs to be stopped or controlled by the quarantines etc.

But as the USa had 178 flu deaths in 2018 ...with 400 million plus people, China having 2.5 times as many people should by average see around 350-400 deaths by flu complications in a normal flu season.

Anyway I don't think its quite time yet to all head for the woods and hide from each other (says the guy who lives rurally aka out in the woods)

https://www.verywellhealth.com/deaths-from-flu-2633829

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Response to China flu 2020-01-31 19:10:13

The Weather Channel · 1 hour ago US Declares Public Health Emergency Over Coronavirus; Seventh Case Confirmed in US

I definitely would invest in a respirator some and hand sanitizer and maybe get your shots up to date. Not trying to stoke stuff but just to be on the safe side.

Response to China flu 2020-01-31 22:04:14

At 1/31/20 07:10 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: I definitely would invest in a respirator some and hand sanitizer and maybe get your shots up to date. Not trying to stoke stuff but just to be on the safe side.

I'm just glad I'm not a librarian anymore. I got sick ALL THE TIME during fall/winter.

The worst vector of sickness was definitely the public computers. We'd use air cans on the keyboards and Clorox wipes on the keyboards/mice first thing every morning, but it barely made a dent in the problem.

Is it too much to ask for people who are sick to STAY HOME? I mean, if you don't have a computer (we were a rural library, many patrons didn't) and need to do something important like pay bills or fill out a FAFSA form, then yeah, I get it. But if you've just come to the library to use the computer to check Facebook or play games, for fuck's sake, go home!

Response to China flu 2020-02-01 04:02:21

Nothing to say, just we’re Going to die

Response to China flu 2020-02-01 07:35:38

Equal medal chances for everyone!

Response to China flu 2020-02-01 11:24:52

At 2/1/20 04:02 AM, JackSbertox wrote: Nothing to say, just we’re Going to die

No. A lot of people immune can deal with it. Just like with any other flu.

BBS Signature