00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

marbleheadzzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio!

7,962 Views | 48 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Support Goals

THANK YOU everyone who has come aboard as a Supporter this month, in addition to those who continue to support NG month after month, year after year!

Our goal for the early 20s is to transition Newgrounds completely off third-party ads. We’ve been wanting this for years now and it’s do or die time; we’re not gonna spend the next decade designing the site around ads and dwelling on evolving ad-tech.

We started January with 2,600 active supporters and set an aggressive goal of 3,000 by the end of the month. We’ve been on track to achieve that goal but this week momentum slipped a bit and we’re gonna need an uptick in support to make it happen. 

3,000 active supporters would be a new record for NG and on a personal note, ads make me depressed and are a big distraction both for visitors and our ongoing site development. If you enjoy Newgrounds, this is the best $3 per month you could spend.

Flash Emulation Update

We quietly launched Ruffle support yesterday! Quietly because we’re still working some things out and Ruffle is still evolving. 

Ruffle is an open-source, in-browser Flash emulator developed by @Mike and a bunch of other smart people in the open-source community. If you have an interest in Flash preservation and have some spare cash, I highly recommend becoming a Ruffle sponsor!

If you have Flash content on NG, go to the Preview page in your project and click the “Test with Ruffle” link below your content. If it works with Ruffle, check the “Works with Ruffle emulation” box under your SWF in the Project Details form. If your entry is a click-based game, you can also check “Touchscreen friendly” and it should work on mobile when we get that going. UPDATE: Ruffle content is now running on mobile! Go hunt some lamers on your phone:

We tried running all movies through Ruffle out the gate yesterday but that was too optimistic and we dialed it back. Some movies may still be running with Ruffle, though; if your movie is loading with Ruffle and NOT working, go to your Project Details and uncheck the “Works in Ruffle emulation” box.

Ruffle will soon be getting a big performance boost from a WebGL rendering update, after which I’ll likely share some showcase links. If you want to try something now, my old game UFA is running pretty well.

Audio Updates

Our projects system update introduced ratings to Audio submissions and they are now being applied to audio search. We’ve been updating existing submissions as we find them but be warned: there will still be audio that is improperly rated until someone updates it. The next area to utilize ratings will be the main Audio Portal hub!

Side note: if you need music for your game or animation, be sure to give the Audio Portal a look! Check underneath each song for info about licensing and/or use; a lot of songs in the Audio Portal are free to use.

Community News

Pixel Day is January 23rd! There are $100 prizes each in the categories of art, animation, game and chiptune. If you’ve made something special with pixel art, January 23rd would be a great day to share it!

The Original NG Character Animation Contest deadline is February 26th. There have already been winners in the script, character design, music and voice acting categories; now the goal is to create a trailer or teaser for what an episode might look like!

@Alvin-Earthworm could use our help! His friend has set up a GoFundMe to cover Alvin's therapy & medical bills.

@OrangePylon has released a free Abomi Nation demo on Steam! It’s a monster-collecting roguelike RPG. The music is by @Paranoidhumanoise, who OrangePylon found here on NG after making a listing in the Collabinator.

@DreamEater has released an album! You can listen to the songs here on NG or support him via Spotify and YouTube. For the album art, DreamEater commissioned @Kazukoto here on Newgrounds!

I think that's about all for now! Any big news I missed?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 11:56:44

Well that is good to know Tom, although I won't have some time to try with ruffle, I will still think about it. It might be difficult to getting 3,000 supporters, but I hope things will work out.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 12:07:18

It would be a good function to return the old design or adjust the site design for yourself, but this is most likely not going to happen ;(

And basically, everything is fine here, but I want to return the old one...

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 13:11:51

The SWF is dead, long live the SWF!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 14:35:24

At 1/15/20 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: @OrangePylon has released a free Abomi Nation demo on Steam! It’s a monster-collecting roguelike RPG. The music is by @Paranoidhumanoise, who OrangePylon found here on NG after making a listing in the Collabinator.

Thanks for the mention, Tom! I hope people check it out -- it's been a real journey getting this far in development.

I'm super excited to hear about Ruffle! Swivel did such a great job at keeping Flash useful (I used it for scenes in the trailer above), so hopefully Ruffle can work that magic again.

Also, here's hoping things work out for Alvin. Dude's a legend.

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 15:06:04

At 1/15/20 12:07 PM, C211 wrote: It would be a good function to return the old design or adjust the site design for yourself, but this is most likely not going to happen ;(

This would essentially double the workload of bug fixes that Tom has to deal with for no reason other than nostalgia.

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 15:08:39

I understand everything, but I still hope that it will be in the future, because you can get nostalgic, because WayBack Machine does not save the entire site, but some pages, and you want to see the old design at the moment.

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 16:47:38

At 1/15/20 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: We quietly launched Ruffle support yesterday! Quietly because we’re still working some things out and Ruffle is still evolving. 

Quietly but deadly, isn't that the saying?

Works exactly as I was hoping. Really, really nice! I only have two swf files to actually present with ruffle, but I hope more people will test their files!

Some first bugs I found:

• Firefox seems to run smoother than Brave (Mac)
  • Text-Alignment appeared not centered
  • Image-Scaling not sub-pixel-accurate
  • One project had the actual swf file removed and I had to reupload.

But the pros are:

• Sound-Animation-Synchronization is perfect
  • Font rendering is accurate
  • Click-Input worked.

About the speed: At first run, it behaved a little choppy but reloading did the trick. Maybe there is something else on this site slowing down the rendering sometimes. And As far as I understand, this is using Canvas for now? Looking forward to the upcoming WebGL update!

Thanks to the NG Team and everyone involved! What a way to start 2020!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 16:54:40

3,000 is too optimistic for my taste

Maybe Ruffle support will inspire NG support? Great job @mike

Glad that gofundme's get announced on here, it's a nice supportive community. @heyopc was able to start producing music again recently after a robbery thanks to a lot of people on here and twitter :)

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 17:09:16

At 1/15/20 04:54 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: 3,000 is too optimistic for my taste

Power perceived, power achieved. Supporter calls usually stay pretty modest but this one is shootin' for the moon and has had a pretty great spike forward among most other efforts. I think if putting forth that beaming optimism gets more results, then we should embrace a more uplifting attitude and all keep up the momentum

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 17:29:00

Holy shit it works! I knew that Ruffle was being developed, but I had no idea it was gonna be out and working so fast! I should have known better; with Mike and you guys behind it, it was gonna be great, haha! This is awesome! Long live Flash!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 17:58:34

We were talking on the phone with a friend yesterday and he mentioned how important flash content is historically and how NewGrounds should be a main actor in preserving it; I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

I've found this place to be the opposite of what I was told. I was led to believe at some point that everyone here was an edgy, unfunny kid, only to find out it was actually full of amazing and incredibly talented people (and edgy unfunny kids) whose mission is to let art be about creativity and not ad-sense algorithms.

I'll try to promote NG as much as I can with the small platform I have, this place truly deserves it.

Thank you to all the team for your hard work!

Failure at not procrastinating made this post possible.

(awesome pixel gorilla by BigBossErndog)

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 19:23:50

At 1/15/20 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: Our goal for the early 20s

Feels weird reading that.

Like nearly a hundred years ago weird...

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 20:09:22

At 1/15/20 12:07 PM, C211 wrote: It would be a good function to return the old design or adjust the site design for yourself, but this is most likely not going to happen ;(

What is with you people? The old design was not that different, and it wasn't super amazing either.

People STILL don't like it, even though the current design is a lot closer to what people want these days.

The last thing we need is to go back 10 years. Jeezus.

Just some dork who's loved NG since 2004, yet isn't very artistic himself. You should check out my massive favorites lists.

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 20:11:01

I don't understand it, I assume that Lamer Hunter is there for us to try out Ruffle, but I can't see any option to use it.

Just getting the standard (plugin blocked) nonsense from Chrome as per any flash on any site. What am I missing?

Just some dork who's loved NG since 2004, yet isn't very artistic himself. You should check out my massive favorites lists.

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 21:21:22

At 1/15/20 08:11 PM, d0ugl4sm0 wrote: I don't understand it, I assume that Lamer Hunter is there for us to try out Ruffle, but I can't see any option to use it.
Just getting the standard (plugin blocked) nonsense from Chrome as per any flash on any site. What am I missing?

Oh weird - it shouldn’t be trying to run the Flash plugin - if you visit that page incognito in Chrome does it still do the plugin box?

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 21:24:10

So, that means I can now watch .swfs in mobile? but yeah sure... If the user has the "test with ruffle" on right?

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-15 21:27:25

Yo, Tom!

Just returned after years and years now that I fell into Voiceover. I was so happy to see this place in the condition it's in. Thanks! And can't wait to see where this ship goes.

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-16 00:04:59

I find it interesting that the ratio of monthly supporters to yearly supports is almost 1:1. I expected monthly to be vastly higher.

(>'-')>

That do or die thing sounds just a little troubling but... everything else: awesome.

And Ruffle's progressing faster than anticipated! Hope this movement helps incentivize a sizable support boost here as well. Flash preservation is definitely something to get behind.

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

A couple possible Ruffle/site bugs:

• The collapse feature on submission pages doesn't seem to work that well with Ruffle, if you collapse the game the sound keeps playing anyway, and if you expand it again the background's just black.
  • On Wasted Sky - are you supposed to be able to shoot? The avoiding bit works great, but I can't seem to find a way to defeat the first boss. His projectiles don't do the ship any harm, and there doesn't seem to be a way to defeat him either. All you can do is move around. If this is a system-specific thing: Chrome, 64-bit, Win 10.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-16 08:43:59

At 1/16/20 07:53 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: A couple possible Ruffle/site bugs:

Hmmm when I play Wasted Sky, my ship shoots when I hold down my mouse button - wonder what is happening differently on your end... Has anyone else here tried Wasted Sky and did the ship shoot or not shoot?

BBS Signature

At 1/16/20 08:43 AM, TomFulp wrote: Hmmm when I play Wasted Sky, my ship shoots when I hold down my mouse button - wonder what is happening differently on your end... Has anyone else here tried Wasted Sky and did the ship shoot or not shoot?

Figured that might be what it was supposed to be doing, though no shots here. Have tried it via Firefox too now, with/without incognito mode, same thing there.

Could this have anything to do with GPU or hardware? Some web GL related requirements? I'd think I'm on a pretty standard setup. Console errors, btw, there's a lot of:

SetProperty: Invalid target enemy1
core.ruffle.js:1 Invalid variable path: /playa/:shoot
core.ruffle.js:1 CloneSprite: Source is not a movie clip
core.ruffle.js:1 SetProperty: Invalid target enemy2
core.ruffle.js:1 SetProperty: Invalid target enemy3
core.ruffle.js:1 SetProperty: Invalid target enemy4
core.ruffle.js:1 SetProperty: Invalid target enemy5
core.ruffle.js:1 SetProperty: Invalid target enemy6
core.ruffle.js:1 SetProperty: Invalid target enemy7

...and so on.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-16 09:11:41

At 1/16/20 08:49 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/16/20 08:43 AM, TomFulp wrote: Hmmm when I play Wasted Sky, my ship shoots when I hold down my mouse button - wonder what is happening differently on your end... Has anyone else here tried Wasted Sky and did the ship shoot or not shoot?
Figured that might be what it was supposed to be doing, though no shots here. Have tried it via Firefox too now, with/without incognito mode, same thing there.

Oh whoops, I just checked and looks like the latest Ruffle update broke Wasted Sky.

I also think my browser cache is messing with the update and I have to browse incognito at the moment.

UFA is working well now:

BBS Signature

At 1/16/20 09:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Oh whoops, I just checked and looks like the latest Ruffle update broke Wasted Sky.

Ah that explains it.

I also think my browser cache is messing with the update and I have to browse incognito at the moment.

UFA is working well now:

//www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/183575

Working perfectly here too. Nice.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-16 12:15:05

Does adless include the ads that we can put into submissions?

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-16 14:07:21

At 1/16/20 09:22 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/16/20 09:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Oh whoops, I just checked and looks like the latest Ruffle update broke Wasted Sky.
Ah that explains it.

Update - this is now fixed and you can shoot again.

Some of us are experience black screens on Ruffle content due to some caching issues that will be getting sorted out. If anyone is experience a black screen, running the content Incognito will work for now since that doesn't use your cache.

BBS Signature

At 1/16/20 12:15 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Does adless include the ads that we can put into submissions?

Those ads will continue to run for now but due to evolving ad-tech regulations they may have to be phased out in the coming months / years.

For example the California Consumer Privacy Act went into effect this year and while NG doesn't sell user data, based on how the law is interpreted third party ads may be considered a sale of data. There might be a workaround where users can opt-out in-game before an ad is loaded but at that point everyone will likely opt out and it seems kinda pointless given how little revenue these ads produce currently.

Google is seizing the opportunities presented by ongoing privacy regulation by announcing a plan to remove third party cookies in Chrome in the next two years. This could lead to a better-for-privacy AND better-for-Google way of doing things (as if Adsense wasn't already an advertising monopoly) but it's another big question mark for old Flash ads.

The irony is that a lot of these regulations are intended to hurt Google and Facebook but Google and FB claim they are already compliant because they own both the user data AND the ad platforms. Regardless, proper regulation could ultimately level the playing field for NG since our business model isn't based on knowing and sharing everything about you. It's another big incentive for us to replace ads with paying supporters, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-16 14:29:55

At 1/16/20 02:07 PM, TomFulp wrote: Some of us are experience black screens on Ruffle content due to some caching issues that will be getting sorted out. If anyone is experience a black screen, running the content Incognito will work for now since that doesn't use your cache.

Update - caching issue is fixed so no more black screen!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixels, Support, Flash and Audio! 2020-01-16 21:26:14

At 1/15/20 09:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: Oh weird - it shouldn’t be trying to run the Flash plugin - if you visit that page incognito in Chrome does it still do the plugin box?

Oddly, after the page sat there a few minutes (while I perused this thread and made that last reply) it changed while I was not using that tab. When I clicked back, it was up and ready to go. So I hit play and basked in its glory. Just a fluke maybe?