00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Aquarium

2,517 Views | 74 Replies

Aquarium 2020-01-11 19:01:20

Anybody got one?

I'm thinking about getting something, haven't had fish since I was a kid and I'm watching all kinds of videos.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-11 19:52:11

Never really been a fan of fish, other than as a food, I find them to be pretty boring pets, all I know is, keep the water clean.

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-11 19:58:04

At 1/11/20 07:52 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Never really been a fan of fish, other than as a food, I find them to be pretty boring pets, all I know is, keep the water clean.

I tend to prefer dogs, but can have a cat. I like my pets more than others, cuz how I have em trained.

I was just thinking, it'd be something I could poke around with and watch a little bit, and something to maybe entertain the cat I have.

I can agree with a no care for fish, cuz a lot of alternative "pets" are more decorations and a chore.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-12 01:14:54

At 1/11/20 07:52 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Never really been a fan of fish, other than as a food, I find them to be pretty boring pets, all I know is, keep the water clean.

But you told me you were a fish?

...something's fishy

Just another NG user.

Thanks, @COOLZONE17500 for the cool signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-12 06:12:29

At 1/12/20 01:14 AM, ZomAlien wrote:
But you told me you were a fish?

...something's fishy

Little-Rena is a gay fish.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-12 06:13:25

At 1/11/20 07:01 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: Anybody got one?

I have. The fish have survived quite a bit more stuff than by any rights they should.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-12 14:44:32

At 1/12/20 06:13 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
I have. The fish have survived quite a bit more stuff than by any rights they should.

What size and what do you have in it?

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-13 05:47:33

At 1/12/20 11:27 PM, Leidolfr wrote:

I'm thinking about getting something, haven't had fish since I was a kid and I'm watching all kinds of videos.
I had a big tank as a kid, fish are a pain in the ass, cleaning the tank and shit. Though I always thought it would be cool to have a salt water eco system, you know things that basically regulate themselves. My exes doctors office had one that had like shrimp and lobsters and shit, was pretty nifty. Also, this short lived show I used to enjoy the fuck out of, when you're super drunk you get right into it...

I'm thinking of getting a 20 gallon or less and have half my fish be cleaner type, maybe some shrimp, live plants to. Yes yes, I know I'll still have to clean it and mess with it, but not as much as if I went out and got a bunch of goldfish.

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-13 06:00:34

I had a pet tortoise when I was young.

I may keep fish as pets if they are easier to handle.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-13 09:20:06

At 1/13/20 06:00 AM, Sobolev wrote: I had a pet tortoise when I was young.
I may keep fish as pets if they are easier to handle.

Well, from what I've been reading/watching, fish can be a chore. Daily wipe down glass with magnet wipe, and 2-3 feedings, maybe weekly cleaning of gravel, filter checks, water changes. I plan to try live plants, which feed off the poop. Also, a good amount of fish that'll break down poop further.

I'm still doing research and watching stuff, it'll probably be a couple few months before I act.

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-13 12:47:34

At 1/12/20 02:44 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:

60 by 30 by 30 cm, guppies of many different colours.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-13 18:24:34

At 1/13/20 12:47 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 1/12/20 02:44 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
60 by 30 by 30 cm, guppies of many different colours.

How much water does that hold?

It wasn't till I looked into fish recently that I even knew what a guppy really was. My ignorant self thought they would be plain, but they're really not.

I might go for even smaller fish, maybe, so I can get more.

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-14 03:20:35

At 1/13/20 06:24 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: How much water does that hold?

54 litres.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-14 05:52:54

At 1/14/20 03:20 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
54 litres.

Any tips?

I was looking at guppies, but it seems it's easy to have too many of them. What do you do with your baby fish?

Anything else in the tank?

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-14 09:36:56 (edited 2020-01-14 09:38:08)

All pets can be a chore, Just with fish, they are expensive to start up, but cheap to maintain.

Dogs/cats other way around from my experience. I took my mothers former dog to the vet for fungus on he ears, and she got a bill for 125 dollars just for the visit. I had an abscess on my arm from a spider bite, and I only had to pay 50 dollars for my visit. Seems off huh?

In any event, make sure you have a bottom feeder for your tank such as a catfish or algae eater, and cleaning won't be such a chore. Fish are fun pets such as orange puffer, they'll recognize you after a while kinda fun to see them swim up to say hi.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-14 17:55:40 (edited 2020-01-14 17:59:46)

At 1/14/20 05:52 AM, billybobthwarten wrote:
At 1/14/20 03:20 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
54 litres.
Any tips?

I was looking at guppies, but it seems it's easy to have too many of them. What do you do with your baby fish?

Go for guppies, they are easy and beautiful, a way to not get too many of them it's to just let nature be, guppies will eat most of their fry (don't put the female in a breeding box), the most healthy and smart ones will remain. I recommend getting a snail, they help with algae, I have a nerite snail, they are easy to find on stores and clean really well, they also wont be a plague since they only reproduce in brackish water.

You will want to get a proper heater if you live in cold place, best temp is 24C.

A must do is to cycle your new aquarium first before adding any fish. It's really important, google it to find more.

You should also do water changes every week or so, it's important.

Want to do it really perfect? This website is dope: http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-18 12:26:40

At 1/14/20 05:52 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: Any tips?

Don't be me and actually clean that shit once in a while.

Just let them be. Most will be eaten. Just enough will survive.

Not in terms of fish, but see point 1.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-01-18 12:48:21

I have a Rose Tail Betta that lives in a fully planted 15 gallon aquarium on the end of my desk. Tempted now and then to get a smaller aquarium and stock it with Cherry Shrimp too. Would love to have a much larger salt water aquarium if I had the space for it.

The aquarium I use for the Betta is a Fluval Flex, which I quite like because the filtration, pump and heater are all stored out of sight in a hidden compartment at the back.

In my case it's a fairly low maintenance hobby. I do about a 30% water change every week, wipe down the glass and trim some of the plants back from time to time. If you're serous about taking care of the fish's health it can be an interesting hobby too. You'll find yourself reading up on fish biology, aquatic plants, the nitrogen cycle etc.

iu_86441_2318375.jpg

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-09 10:51:06

Went and got a 40 gallon, gonna be a couple-few weeks before I have it all set up.

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-10 09:07:56

Ended up ordering plants, cuz wasn't happy with what I saw locally. I'm going to start assembling it all when they arrive, then a week or so later I'll add fish.

Thinking, a betta, some Cory catfish, some kind of pleco, snails, shrimp, and some small schooling fish. All small, so I can have a diverse and stocked.

It'll be a bit before that's all done, quarantine and all.

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 05:09:50

At 2/10/20 09:07 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: Thinking, a betta, some Cory catfish, some kind of pleco, snails, shrimp, and some small schooling fish. All small, so I can have a diverse and stocked.

I like Goldfish. And having big fish in a small tank sounds like a torture to it.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 05:44:02

At 2/11/20 05:09 AM, Sobolev wrote:
At 2/10/20 09:07 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: Thinking, a betta, some Cory catfish, some kind of pleco, snails, shrimp, and some small schooling fish. All small, so I can have a diverse and stocked.
I like Goldfish. And having big fish in a small tank sounds like a torture to it.

It is, they can get to be over a foot. You've probably heard that fish only grow as large as their environment, not entirely true. Yeah, they won't grow that size if kept in a smaller setting, but their organs grow a little larger than normal proportions for their body size, likely shortening their lives.

Most people shouldn't get goldfish anyway, poop monsters.

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 06:36:24 (edited 2020-02-11 06:36:35)

I've had friends who have had 'em, and realized it's so much more work than you'd imagine to keep it clean, and keep the fish healthy. Personally: no plans.

They are real nice to look at though...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 09:16:44 (edited 2020-02-11 09:19:00)

At 2/11/20 06:36 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: I've had friends who have had 'em, and realized it's so much more work than you'd imagine to keep it clean, and keep the fish healthy. Personally: no plans.

They are real nice to look at though...

Yeah, I've been watching videos and reading lots. Weekly water changes, level checks of pH and such, wiping and scrubbing of glass...

Doing what I'm doing, with plants, you don't really have to suction poop off the bottom.

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 12:47:22

At 2/11/20 09:16 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: Yeah, I've been watching videos and reading lots. Weekly water changes, level checks of pH and such, wiping and scrubbing of glass...

Also occasionally sick fish, and taking care of baby fish if you happen to not have all the same sex. If you want to keep 'em. Their cannibalism may otherwise solve such problems.

Doing what I'm doing, with plants, you don't really have to suction poop off the bottom.

Ah so water plants take care of that? Specific types? Did not know that bit.

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 13:07:07

At 2/11/20 12:47 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/11/20 09:16 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: Yeah, I've been watching videos and reading lots. Weekly water changes, level checks of pH and such, wiping and scrubbing of glass...
Also occasionally sick fish, and taking care of baby fish if you happen to not have all the same sex. If you want to keep 'em. Their cannibalism may otherwise solve such problems.

I got a second tank, a 5 gallon. I'll quarantine fish there before adding to others and there if I need to later.

Ah so water plants take care of that? Specific types? Did not know that bit.

I'm sure it still needs to be done, but less. All aquarium plants are going to get nutrients from their roots and their stems, some more one way than the other. If you plant a tank, it does a lot of beneficial stuff.

There's a reason why I want half my fish to be cory cats.

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 13:44:48

At 2/11/20 01:07 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: I got a second tank, a 5 gallon. I'll quarantine fish there before adding to others and there if I need to later.

Nice, you've planned ahead! Another option would be to have a net or cage of sorts within the bigger tank, with holes sized so only the smaller fish have access to it.

I'm sure it still needs to be done, but less. All aquarium plants are going to get nutrients from their roots and their stems, some more one way than the other. If you plant a tank, it does a lot of beneficial stuff.

They... eat poop?

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 13:55:30

At 2/11/20 01:44 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/11/20 01:07 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: I got a second tank, a 5 gallon. I'll quarantine fish there before adding to others and there if I need to later.
Nice, you've planned ahead! Another option would be to have a net or cage of sorts within the bigger tank, with holes sized so only the smaller fish have access to it.

Well yeah, but I'd think you'd want to remove a sick fish entirely.

They... eat poop?

Mostly food that drops to the bottom, which can sit there and cause problems. They help turn over stuff at the bottom, so it gets filtered and maybe absorbed by plants.

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 14:03:48

At 2/11/20 01:55 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: Well yeah, but I'd think you'd want to remove a sick fish entirely.

Ah right, yeah! Separate tank required there. Was just thinking bout those snuggery tiny baby fish.

Mostly food that drops to the bottom, which can sit there and cause problems. They help turn over stuff at the bottom, so it gets filtered and maybe absorbed by plants.

Definitely handy.

BBS Signature

Response to Aquarium 2020-02-11 14:24:41

At 2/11/20 02:03 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/11/20 01:55 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: Well yeah, but I'd think you'd want to remove a sick fish entirely.
Ah right, yeah! Separate tank required there. Was just thinking bout those snuggery tiny baby fish.

That's another positive of a planted tank. Like one full of decorations, a place to hide is important for babies.

Definitely handy.

I should have said, they often eat food at the bottom. They'll eat their own foods and should be fed too, but their useful for helping police the bottom. Plus, they're kinda cute(I guess) and a schooling fish.

iu_93027_4845136.jpg

I can't tell you how many videos I've watched and pages I've read since I've decided to get into this.