00:00
00:00

Delicious Blocks of Cheese

521 Views | 42 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-27 05:57:44

In 2014 for some reason (I can't fathom) I thought it sounded really good when you COMPRESS THE HELL of your songs, effectively turning my waveforms into near full blocks. What was I thinking!? I wonder if anyone has ever made a perfect solid rectangle here on Newgrounds. If you have any blocky waveforms in your past, atone by posting them here.

iu_72637_3307000.png

iu_72638_3307000.png

Zombie: ...............

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

Some more delicious blocks of cheese:

iu_72639_3307000.png

iu_72640_3307000.png

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-27 14:53:07

lmao that's nothing, try mine

iu_72691_6170223.png

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-27 14:53:48

At 11/27/19 02:53 PM, Bonnot wrote: lmao that's nothing, try mine

iu_72692_3307000.jpg

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

More cheese blockiu_72694_6170223.png

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-27 15:30:17

Honestly only recently I started to compress my shit, because it does sounds much better when being loud. Most of my shit prior to 2019 are quiet mixed. Also I have an addiction to eargasm on my ATH-M50x, so the louder and wider the track the more eargasm I get. Most of my followers been wondering the same thing why I compress my shit so much. After recorded, I literally just clicked Limiter and Max Loudness and tada!

The reason why I beat other people in the Loudness War is that I do properly spend my time mixing my shit BEFORE compression. I'd be well balanced the panning and dynamic on reasonable volume, recorded it in Edison, normalize it so there won't be maxed-out sounds, then I saved it. I then import the WAV into the DAW and from there compressed to max. It's the reason why my track still sound nice even after so many things going on in each work.

I adapted a lot of mixing techniques from trailer music like Two Steps From Hell, Generdyn Music and @EvilRaccoon, but unlike trailer music I don't abuse the compression, at least not to the point of ear-bleeding like those shit they play in movie trailers.

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-27 15:32:20

At 11/27/19 03:01 PM, Bonnot wrote: More cheese block

That's a nice looking block of cheese

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-27 15:35:20

At 11/27/19 03:30 PM, Bonnot wrote: Honestly only recently I started to compress my shit, because it does sounds much better when being loud. Most of my shit prior to 2019 are quiet mixed. Also I have an addiction to eargasm on my ATH-M50x, so the louder and wider the track the more eargasm I get. Most of my followers been wondering the same thing why I compress my shit so much. After recorded, I literally just clicked Limiter and Max Loudness and tada!

The reason why I beat other people in the Loudness War is that I do properly spend my time mixing my shit BEFORE compression. I'd be well balanced the panning and dynamic on reasonable volume, recorded it in Edison, normalize it so there won't be maxed-out sounds, then I saved it. I then import the WAV into the DAW and from there compressed to max. It's the reason why my track still sound nice even after so many things going on in each work.

I adapted a lot of mixing techniques from trailer music like Two Steps From Hell, Generdyn Music and @EvilRaccoon, but unlike trailer music I don't abuse the compression, at least not to the point of ear-bleeding like those shit they play in movie trailers.

I used to like audio that sounded like that. I think lately, my "ear taste buds?" have changed. I really like audio that can "breathe" now. I like being able to hear every individual note with the utmost clarity, and I like being able to differentiate the quiet from the loud. Still, that style of sound works for what it does!

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-27 15:38:21

This was a song I made back in 2014 with ridiculous compression. I used to really love the way these kind of songs sounded. It's totally not my thing anymore though, but back in the day I thought this sounded really good lol.

Today it's just a big block of cheese with a slightly stinky smell.

iu_72707_3307000.png

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

iu_72768_5941491.png

I believe this takes the cake.

(I never realized how much space this spectrum filled up until they put in the new audio player)

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-27 20:14:30

At 11/27/19 08:11 PM, JordanKyser wrote:

(I never realized how much space this spectrum filled up until they put in the new audio player)

//www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/735534

Holy shit, dude... That would feed an entire mouse village!

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-28 04:32:22

At 11/27/19 03:30 PM, Bonnot wrote: I adapted a lot of mixing techniques from trailer music like Two Steps From Hell, Generdyn Music and @EvilRaccoon, but unlike trailer music I don't abuse the compression, at least not to the point of ear-bleeding like those shit they play in movie trailers.

Yeah, I still experiment to this day with a lot of mixing techniques, and the latest track I put up here is also incorrect. I have picked up a few things from trailer music mixer's course by Joël Dollié who is a great guy. Believe it or not, I still learn a lot from Alan Meyerson just in terms of placement and balance, although I can't afford the Mixwiththemasters.com annual sub for his videos.

Trailer tracks are an interesting one. Because we'll mix the stems (compression/ limiting/ etc) and deliver them, these will be rebalanced and mixed within the trailer (dialogue and SFX) and then mastered. We do deliver a full mix too. I try to make my tracks loudish - but I don't think I'll ever go move too much into the soundwar, especially since I try to hit a -6db mix with mastering doing the rest.

8Dio are quite pleased with the tracks I have been handing them recently. Personally, I find volumes are controlled at mixing groups, that's where I determine the dynamics. The mastering therefore becomes more of a cherry on top volume boost when required. Ultimately, if people want it louder, they will turn up their volume. Here's what my delivery last week looked like.

iu_72838_2296667.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-28 16:53:34

At 11/27/19 08:11 PM, JordanKyser wrote:

//www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/735534

damn son that's a solid block

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-28 17:08:07

At 11/28/19 04:32 AM, EvilRaccoon wrote: Trailer tracks are an interesting one. Because we'll mix the stems (compression/ limiting/ etc) and deliver them, these will be rebalanced and mixed within the trailer (dialogue and SFX) and then mastered. We do deliver a full mix too. I try to make my tracks loudish - but I don't think I'll ever go move too much into the soundwar, especially since I try to hit a -6db mix with mastering doing the rest.

I've noticed the recent stuff of your are better mixed than the old stuff of your on NG. Not too loud but enough to fit in demo works. That was my only criticism IMO on some of your older works, that they were very loud. But overtime you articulated your mixing very well, and that was when I start to learn the tricks from you.

8Dio are quite pleased with the tracks I have been handing them recently. Personally, I find volumes are controlled at mixing groups, that's where I determine the dynamics. The mastering therefore becomes more of a cherry on top volume boost when required. Ultimately, if people want it louder, they will turn up their volume. Here's what my delivery last week looked like.

I checked out your recent demo works on Adagio Viola, they're well done, and most importantly very professional. You are moving to places and that make me so happy.

At 11/28/19 05:09 PM, Ricoculous wrote:
It's not really as compressed as it is clipped
//www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/677428

Sliced cheese

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-28 17:45:55

At 11/28/19 05:08 PM, Bonnot wrote: I've noticed the recent stuff of your are better mixed than the old stuff of your on NG. Not too loud but enough to fit in demo works. That was my only criticism IMO on some of your older works, that they were very loud. But overtime you articulated your mixing very well, and that was when I start to learn the tricks from you.

Yeah, I think like everyone else, we just try and improve over time, learning tricks from each other is a great challenge, and enjoyable too I find! There's so much wrong with my old tracks, partly why I was keen to throw them away - but the nostalgia and messages of users looking from them made me think otherwise.

I checked out your recent demo works on Adagio Viola, they're well done, and most importantly very professional. You are moving to places and that make me so happy.

Thanks so much! <3 The challenge in these tracks is really trying to use a library which is incomplete as the forefront of a track, when I see the final libraries that Troels uses they are way more advanced than what beta testers receive. In some cases, there's no UI. So I personally find the demos I do a little...raw'ish. There's many opportunities these days in library music, and I'm lucky enough to have met a lot of nice people. I have an existing composer which I'm friends with that is interested in me working with Really Slow Motion. One side of me loves the idea the other is a little concerned at the exclusivity contract.

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-11-30 02:41:48

At 11/27/19 05:57 AM, JessePajamas wrote: I wonder if anyone has ever made a perfect solid rectangle here on Newgrounds.

Not mine but I guess we already have the winner...

background: #fda238;

That was intentional, though.

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-12-01 10:47:24

At 11/30/19 02:41 AM, Noisysundae wrote:
At 11/27/19 05:57 AM, JessePajamas wrote: I wonder if anyone has ever made a perfect solid rectangle here on Newgrounds.
Not mine but I guess we already have the winner...

//www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/656213

That was intentional, though.

sacre bleu

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-12-01 18:49:02

This is far from a block of cheese, but I have to poast it because wtf?

iu_73708_2552892.png

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-12-01 19:19:27

At 12/1/19 06:49 PM, SethSkoda wrote: This is far from a block of cheese, but I have to poast it because wtf?

//www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/895485

wtf indeed? how do you get a waveform looking that weird?

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

At 12/1/19 07:19 PM, JessePajamas wrote:
At 12/1/19 06:49 PM, SethSkoda wrote: This is far from a block of cheese, but I have to poast it because wtf?

It's an extremely low frequency oscillation. The overall volume level of the track is pretty low. Why? Because of said oscillation, there is little room for the sounds, particularly at or close to the peaks.

On a side note, another thing that can kill volume levels is DC offset. This happens a lot with trackers.

EDIT: I just counted the number of cycles and did the math. The oscillation is about 0.054Hz. Yeesh!

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-12-01 21:38:08

At 12/1/19 07:23 PM, SethSkoda wrote:

It's an extremely low frequency oscillation. The overall volume level of the track is pretty low. Why? Because of said oscillation, there is little room for the sounds, particularly at or close to the peaks.
On a side note, another thing that can kill volume levels is DC offset. This happens a lot with trackers.
EDIT: I just counted the number of cycles and did the math. The oscillation is about 0.054Hz. Yeesh!

With clever editing techniques, could we edit a waveform to make shapes or even words? I wonder.

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

At 12/1/19 09:38 PM, JessePajamas wrote: With clever editing techniques, could we edit a waveform to make shapes or even words? I wonder.

You would be somewhat limited, as the waveform is a result of changing voltages over a period of time.

These voltages are applied across speakers. Varying voltages cause a coil to move due to the changing electromagnetic field around it interacting with the magnet in said speaker. This movement produces the sound you hear (or don't, depending on the frequency).

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-12-01 21:43:56

At 12/1/19 09:42 PM, SethSkoda wrote:
At 12/1/19 09:38 PM, JessePajamas wrote:
At 12/1/19 07:23 PM, SethSkoda wrote:

With clever editing techniques, could we edit a waveform to make shapes or even words? I wonder.
You would be somewhat limited, as the waveform is a result of changing voltages over a period of time.
Hence these voltages are applied across speakers. Varying voltages cause a coil to move due to the changing electromagnetic field around it interacting with the magnet in said speaker. This movement produces the sound you hear (or don't, depending on the frequency).

But would it be IMPOSSIBLE to do so?

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-12-01 21:48:12

At 12/1/19 09:43 PM, JessePajamas wrote: But would it be IMPOSSIBLE to do so?

No. But I put emphasis on the limitation you would encounter.

If you have two waveforms together in the same space, you could do much more than with a single waveform. But don't be fooled. Shapes like a perfect circle or double helix would translate to complete silence.

At 12/1/19 09:48 PM, SethSkoda wrote:
At 12/1/19 09:43 PM, JessePajamas wrote: But would it be IMPOSSIBLE to do so?
No. But I put emphasis on the limitation you would encounter.
If you have two waveforms together in the same space, you could do much more than with a single waveform. But don't be fooled. Shapes like a perfect circle or double helix would translate to complete silence.

I wonder if people ever attempted to make art or pictures using only waveforms. With Volume alone you could probably make shapes that are are symmetrical vertically like

iu_73754_3307000.jpg

Possibly?

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-12-01 22:07:49

Why compress when you could just wave shape?

iu_73752_6724568.png

Also this isn't just a Newgrounds thing, I noticed a lot of over-compressed masters when it comes to a lot of music lately, even those "Top 100 dance hits!"

Compression isn't the only thing you need to make something sound heavy or dark. I would say it has something to do with not really knowing what they are doing and just want their track to be a big banger.

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Delicious Blocks of Cheese 2019-12-01 22:08:59

At 12/1/19 10:07 PM, Gage wrote: Why compress when you could just wave shape?

Also this isn't just a Newgrounds thing, I noticed a lot of over-compressed masters when it comes to a lot of music lately, even those "Top 100 dance hits!"

Compression isn't the only thing you need to make something sound heavy or dark. I would say it has something to do with not really knowing what they are doing and just want their track to be a big banger.

I've been at this for 10 years and even I still have no idea what i'm doing!

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature