00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Updates & Double XP!

10,567 Views | 47 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Sorry for the short notice but we're offering Double XP today, meaning you can vote on at least ten items and log 20 XP instead of the usual ten.

UPDATE: From Tuesday, November 19th through Sunday, November 24th, we're having Double XP every day! We're getting a lot of stuff uploaded to the Portal as a result of YouTube being a mess this week.

Also please consider becoming a Supporter so we can kick off 2020 in style!

We've been getting heavy traffic and the Under Judgment list is filled up; it would be much appreciated if you helped vote entries through.

Notice to artists uploading video under the "Movies" portal - NG is intended for finished animation pieces. The Movies section isn't intended to be used for demos, live action video, Let's Plays, etc.

Also, please do not upload anything with music you don't have rights to. YouTube for example pays over $1 billion to the recording industry EVERY YEAR. Newgrounds can't do that so we ask that you check out these royalty-free resources. You'll be better off in the long-term, vs having long-term rights issues with your work.

Traffic is likely getting a boost from things like Spooky Month, this YouTube video about Flash, and maybe even this tweet. Not to mention @Derpixon released a new movie this past week waka waka.

As we approach 2020, lots of people are talking about how Flash is going away and some are assuming sites like Newgrounds will go away with it. Here are some reminders of things you can tell people:

• Most of the content people come to Newgrounds for nowadays isn't Flash. It's video content via an HTML5 player, HTML5 games, audio via an HTML5 player and art, which never required Flash.

• We've converted a lot of the classic animation to MP4, which can be viewed without Flash and also on mobile.

• We introduced NG Player, a desktop player that can launch via NG and run Flash content when your browser won't, You should see a link to it when you're on a page that contains Flash content.

• There is a lot of progress being made with in-browser Flash emulation and you'll be seeing a big demonstration of that soon here on NG! Expect most animation to be covered really soon.

The more people you tell, the better off NG will be in 2020! We have lots of cool stuff in the works so expect things around here to only get better. Of course, your support would be greatly appreciated! For $3 a month or $25 for the year, you can browse NG ad-free and get a bunch of perks. Your support helps us keep over 20 years of content on-line while continuing to create a more ideal home to creators for years to come.

Be sure to check out our Best of October! The winners of our Halloween Spooktacular are up next - sorry for the delay, this month has been a bit bonkers. Big updates to the Project System and Collabinator are still looming.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 13:35:27 (edited 2019-11-17 13:35:57)

At 11/17/19 01:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Sorry for the short notice but we're offering Double XP today, meaning you can vote on at least ten items and log 20 XP instead of the usual ten.

We've been getting heavy traffic this weekend and the Under Judgment list is filled up; it would be much appreciated if you helped vote entries through.

Notice to artists uploading video - NG is intended for finished animation pieces, vs demos, live action, Let's Plays, etc.

Also, please do not upload anything with music you don't have rights to. YouTube for example pays over $1 billion to the recording industry EVERY YEAR. Newgrounds can't do that so we ask that you check out these royalty-free resources. You'll be better off in the long-term, vs having long-term rights issues with your work.

Traffic is likely getting a boost from things like Spooky Month, this YouTube video about Flash, and maybe even this tweet. Not to mention @Derpixon released a new movie this past week waka waka.

As we approach 2020, lots of people are talking about how Flash is going away and some are assuming sites like Newgrounds will go away with it. Here are some reminders of things you can tell people:

The more people you tell, the better off NG will be in 2020! We have lots of cool stuff in the works so expect things around here to only get better. Of course, your support would be greatly appreciated! For $3 a month or $25 for the year, you can browse NG ad-free and get a bunch of perks. Your support helps us keep over 20 years of content on-line while continuing to create a more ideal home to creators for years to come.

Be sure to check out our Best of October! The winners of our Halloween Spooktacular are up next - sorry for the delay, this month has been a bit bonkers. Big updates to the Project System and Collabinator are still looming.

Nice man!! (EDIT: I might give you some money soon so I can change my name, thankssss!!)

YouTube: A Call For An Uprising, RichieFromBoston, RFB III, Amandha Vollmer, Montagraph. PLEASE WATCH THEM and RESEARCH!!!!

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 13:53:39

Always a great day when there's double XP to be had!

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 15:04:00

Maybe the heavy traffic's just because Newgrounds rules idk

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 15:45:09

At 11/17/19 01:26 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Notice to artists uploading video - NG is intended for finished animation pieces, vs demos, live action, Let's Plays, etc.

So Newgrounds will allow live recordings, with no animation? (i.e skit comedy, vlogs, instructionals) I remember back in the day this was frowned upon as NG was exclusive to animation, games, and music.

I would love to see live action videos like the old days of Youtube to start popping up in the portal as part of the all inclusive "Everything, by everyone" I can imagine one of the hard problems would be the over saturation of content like this, but if the portal remained live it would be simple enough to blam content like that, right? Curious what your thoughts are about that

This would be encouraging for people to sign up and find an alternative to Youtube, bringing even more traction to the site. Perhaps there can even be a new tab allocated to it towards the top!! I'm sure these are things discussed already at HQ.

Really looking forward to see how Newgrounds keeps up with the times and evolves with the world wide web!

I'll always keep coming to this website no matter what, as it is a part of my existence; thanks for everything you guys do!

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 16:20:39

At 11/17/19 03:45 PM, ZVCH wrote:
At 11/17/19 01:26 PM, TomFulp wrote:
So Newgrounds will allow live recordings, with no animation? (i.e skit comedy, vlogs, instructionals) I remember back in the day this was frowned upon as NG was exclusive to animation, games, and music.

Ooh this made me realize I should change the wording there to be more clear - My intend was to to say NG is for finished animation and not those other things.

I would love to see live action videos like the old days of Youtube to start popping up in the portal as part of the all inclusive "Everything, by everyone" I can imagine one of the hard problems would be the over saturation of content like this, but if the portal remained live it would be simple enough to blam content like that, right? Curious what your thoughts are about that

We currently make some exceptions for live action if it has animated post-production and I'd like to explore a dedicated section for short films - basically stories told via live action but not things like vlogs, Let's Plays, etc... A big problem there IS the saturation of content - both from an infrastructure standpoint but also how it would impact the vibe of the site, not to mention all the extra liabilities with potential unlicensed music use.

This would be encouraging for people to sign up and find an alternative to Youtube, bringing even more traction to the site. Perhaps there can even be a new tab allocated to it towards the top!! I'm sure these are things discussed already at HQ.

People say they want an alternative to YouTube but what they really want is a place that makes YouTube money without any downside. The problem is it would be really hard for any site to achieve both. The more money YouTube generates, the more pressure they are under from advertisers to keep the content safe, the more pressure they are under from the FTC to not gather personal data on kids, etc... People are upset that they have to mark their YouTube videos as "for kids" so that they don't run the better paying "personal-data" ads, where at NG, we've never had those ads to begin with, let alone brand ads or anything of much monetary value.

The only way forward for NG is paying supporters who help keep the site free for everyone else. I don't see any future in on-line advertising for NG and want to move away from it as quickly as possible - it just happens to be taking many years but we're gradually getting there. If 1% of our visitors had jumped on-board when we launched the Supporter upgrade in 2012, we would have been running with no ads and paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars per month for the last seven years. I imagine traffic and supporters would have grown even more in response to that. It's still the dream! Maybe I'm crazy but we're still here and I'll keep saying it.

We could have also afforded developing proper phone and Smart TV apps, which were in the old road-map: "Everything, by Everyone, Everywhere"

Hope I don't sound too bitter there, I'm grateful NG is still here and has had the support it's gotten over the years. There's always a "better" version of where we think the present reality could be but things could also be way worse. Excited for everything to come in 2020 and to keep showing everyone that NG is here to stay.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 16:59:12

At 11/17/19 01:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've been getting heavy traffic this weekend and the Under Judgment list is filled up; it would be much appreciated if you helped vote entries through.

I will do my best Tom!

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 17:52:58

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to vote through stuff! I've been so busy recently!

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 18:47:20 (edited 2019-11-17 18:47:31)

Wow that’s great Tom. I’m glad you’re going through with the classic portal requirements. Maybe that should show the other users. Anyway the ‘ROFL’ react I clicked on, was to display my excitement over this news and the double xp day.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 21:48:58

Having been voting a bunch of "Under Judgement" videos, I think one of the reasons people are uploading more to Newgrounds lately is all the stuff going of with the changes in Youtube for COPPA compliancy. Lots of descriptions about deleting their channels and whatnot. Still, it's nice seeing new content of up and comers!

Also, thanks for making it clear that the movies section is for finished pieces. That being said, would animatics be allowed there? I think there's a ton of people getting into animation that first try out with storyboarding, and I've seen a bunch of people upload that kind of content here, so it'd be nice to know that when it comes to judging.

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-17 23:57:53

if we want an alternative to youtube lets find a free video hosting site and link to our VLOGS on our userpages, it will be dope

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-18 06:37:02 (edited 2019-11-18 06:51:04)

Hope I did get that double EXP yesterday hgmm. Always fun with days like these.

I'm pretty hopeful about the opportunity to turn this Flash dying thing into an advantage for NG rather than vice versa too. As it seems it'll be one of the few places that keeps it alive; can reel in people both for the nostalgia/breadth of content, and for the possibility to actually keep making Flash stuff where people can still view it. Best of both worlds.

At 11/17/19 02:09 PM, NekoMika wrote: EDIT: With the influx of Lego videos, will we also have a Lego Collection?

Oh, would've thought this existed already! Would be great with a little extra space for stuff like:

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-18 10:02:06

As one of those recently arrived Lego stop-motion artists, I echo the call for a Lego Collection. Most of us have migrated over thanks to Youtube's reaction to the Coppa guidelines, and I'm sure more will follow soon.

In fact, one of our guys actually discovered there was a Lego section here pre-2001, but I'm not sure what exactly happened to it.

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-18 12:30:34

At 11/18/19 10:02 AM, PritchardStudios wrote: In fact, one of our guys actually discovered there was a Lego section here pre-2001, but I'm not sure what exactly happened to it.

We removed that collection in 2001 after receiving a legal notice. While I hope they are more accommodating of fan-films nowadays, it would still be best to refer to them as "brick films" vs a brand name.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-18 13:51:43

It's been one fun year! Thank you all who summited.

Just another NG user.

Thanks, @COOLZONE17500 for the cool signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-18 15:43:44

At 11/17/19 05:52 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Sorry, I haven't had a chance to vote through stuff! I've been so busy recently!

This.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-18 15:45:58

I'm excited about the possibility of Notch pitching in with 10,000 buckaroos of support. Hopefully it happens.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-18 16:51:30

At 11/18/19 12:30 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/18/19 10:02 AM, PritchardStudios wrote: In fact, one of our guys actually discovered there was a Lego section here pre-2001, but I'm not sure what exactly happened to it.
We removed that collection in 2001 after receiving a legal notice. While I hope they are more accommodating of fan-films nowadays, it would still be best to refer to them as "brick films" vs a brand name.

Ooh, that's good to know. Feels like this should be publicly available information somehow, considering how many such titles are in circulation... hopefully everyone involved with such craft has the sense to omit the L-word.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-18 18:37:14

At 11/17/19 01:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also, please do not upload anything with music you don't have rights to. YouTube for example pays over $1 billion to the recording industry EVERY YEAR. Newgrounds can't do that so we ask that you check out these royalty-free resources. You'll be better off in the long-term, vs having long-term rights issues with your work.

Or even better, look around in the Audio Portal and try finding something you think would fit what it is you're making and attempt to get ahold of the person who made said audio to give them more exposure on the site. I know it's included in the link you provided, but it is directly at the top of the screen and is an invaluable resource for content creators on the site. Collaborating is a big part of what makes Newgrounds.. Newgrounds.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-18 21:31:50

At 11/18/19 04:51 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 11/18/19 12:30 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Ooh, that's good to know. Feels like this should be publicly available information somehow, considering how many such titles are in circulation... hopefully everyone involved with such craft has the sense to omit the L-word.

Interesting. I do know that Lego is far more accommodating to stop-motion projects now, even hosting their own contests and releasing two different movie making kits over the years. However, even if they overlook it in film titles, that wouldn't be a good name for an official category. Just FYI, "Brickfilms" is also a trademark for "Brickfilms.com" and while they don't enforce it much, and we commonly use it without consequence, that wouldn't be a good name for an official category either. "Brick Flicks" is a phrase that could be used, should a new category be introduced for those films.

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 03:56:17

...waka waka

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 06:43:27

At 11/18/19 09:31 PM, PritchardStudios wrote: Interesting. I do know that Lego is far more accommodating to stop-motion projects now, even hosting their own contests and releasing two different movie making kits over the years. However, even if they overlook it in film titles, that wouldn't be a good name for an official category. Just FYI, "Brickfilms" is also a trademark for "Brickfilms.com" and while they don't enforce it much, and we commonly use it without consequence, that wouldn't be a good name for an official category either. "Brick Flicks" is a phrase that could be used, should a new category be introduced for those films.

Good to know that too. Could always fit all this within a stopmotion category too, maybe under a subcategory for blocks, or bricks, or other common words that can't be trademarked.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 08:27:15

At 11/19/19 06:43 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 11/18/19 09:31 PM, PritchardStudios wrote: Interesting. I do know that Lego is far more accommodating to stop-motion projects now, even hosting their own contests and releasing two different movie making kits over the years. However, even if they overlook it in film titles, that wouldn't be a good name for an official category. Just FYI, "Brickfilms" is also a trademark for "Brickfilms.com" and while they don't enforce it much, and we commonly use it without consequence, that wouldn't be a good name for an official category either. "Brick Flicks" is a phrase that could be used, should a new category be introduced for those films.
Good to know that too. Could always fit all this within a stopmotion category too, maybe under a subcategory for blocks, or bricks, or other common words that can't be trademarked.

Yep.

A generic stop-motion category would work just fine, but a more specific one could be called "brick-flicks" or ""block"-busters" or "toy-animations" or something. Maybe, should that be created, the community could even submit ideas and vote on the final title.

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 11:15:37 (edited 2019-11-19 11:29:02)

At 11/19/19 08:27 AM, PritchardStudios wrote: Yep.
A generic stop-motion category would work just fine, but a more specific one could be called "brick-flicks" or ""block"-busters" or "toy-animations" or something. Maybe, should that be created, the community could even submit ideas and vote on the final title.

Block-busters. XD I like that one! Though maybe trademark issues there too... Brick Flicks has a ring to it too.

I like the idea of a poll. We used to have those but feels like a really long time ago now. Used to be able to recommend submissions for collections too, which seems like a good thing to get back in the same wave if possible.

If there weren't downsides to that particular feature I didn't know of. Seemed like a useful thing to have people voluntarily chip-in on expanding these lists. They aren't all as up-to-date these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 12:11:58

AH I'M SWIMMING WITHIN NOSTALGIC AND CONTEMPORARY BLISS AT NEWGROUNDS.COM

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 13:08:01

A little over exactly 1 year ago was when all the tumblr shit just started happening. People were being banished for being too adult and NSFW.

Now on the complete opposite end, people are being banished from Youtube for being too child friendly lol.

Definitely cool to see more Brickfilms and stop motion stuff on NG, didn't expect people to migrate over as much as last year but it's a bit surprising and pleasant seeing the UJ page nice and filled up

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 13:43:49

At 11/19/19 01:08 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: A little over exactly 1 year ago was when all the tumblr shit just started happening. People were being banished for being too adult and NSFW.

Now on the complete opposite end, people are being banished from Youtube for being too child friendly lol.

Definitely cool to see more Brickfilms and stop motion stuff on NG, didn't expect people to migrate over as much as last year but it's a bit surprising and pleasant seeing the UJ page nice and filled up

I want to make a bigger post about all this but I also want to temper expectations - NG is on the long road to success and there's no quick fix for all this shit going on in the world. I do want to make a big push for supporters though and try removing the ads from E-M content for 2020. That would be a great way to kick off 2020; all pages mobile-friendly, in-browser Flash emulation for animation and some games, no ads on E-M content... That's the sort of shit that has kept me going through some dark years. That would be an awesome way to start a new decade.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 14:05:56

At 11/19/19 01:43 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/19/19 01:08 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: A little over exactly 1 year ago was when all the tumblr shit just started happening. People were being banished for being too adult and NSFW.

I want to make a bigger post about all this but I also want to temper expectations - NG is on the long road to success and there's no quick fix for all this shit going on in the world. I do want to make a big push for supporters though and try removing the ads from E-M content for 2020. That would be a great way to kick off 2020; all pages mobile-friendly, in-browser Flash emulation for animation and some games, no ads on E-M content... That's the sort of shit that has kept me going through some dark years. That would be an awesome way to start a new decade.

No ads for that stuff would definitely be pretty nifty. At the very least it's a statement of sorts.

NG definitely on the rise, I see that shit happen. Maybe it's just been people remembering NG because of flash going away, but there's a bunch of little instances of people just mentioning NG shit or shouting out NG shit or whatever. Always cool to stumble across little things like that.

Maybe next year Soundcloud or Bandcamp will bullshit around with it's creators and we'll have another migration, this time to the audio portal instead of movies this year and art last year lmao. A yearly tradition for a company to do some dumb shit and make them join NG. Or maybe it will be steam or itch or one of the mobile stores screwin around with game devs, and the game scene will start thriving. Tumblr banned NSFW content. Anything can happen

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 20:08:25

Wow double xp up to sunday now? Man that's nice! That would be 14 days worth of catching up!

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Updates & Double XP! 2019-11-19 21:26:17

I just checked today's list of blammed content and... WOW! What the hell is going on?iu_70854_3945050.jpg

BBS Signature