00:00
00:00

Since Flash is going away soon...

225 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-05 05:41:21

I think now would be a good time to ask you about other 'applets' you remember using besides Flash. Programs like Java and Silverlight mainly. True, Flash was kind of a security risk but Java certainly was the bigger one of the lot. No wonder then why it was used rather sparingly compared to Flash. As for Silverlight, I suppose it was used even less and it was made by Microsoft so there's that going for it as well.

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-05 10:39:19

At 11/5/19 05:41 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: I think now would be a good time to ask you about other 'applets' you remember using besides Flash. Programs like Java and Silverlight mainly. True, Flash was kind of a security risk but Java certainly was the bigger one of the lot. No wonder then why it was used rather sparingly compared to Flash. As for Silverlight, I suppose it was used even less and it was made by Microsoft so there's that going for it as well.

>this thread again

Newgrounds Player, dude. Install it. Set it as the default way to open Flash files in your user settings. Newgrounds Player makes Flash immortal. Not to mention high res.

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-05 10:46:48

At 11/5/19 10:39 AM, SnootAnon wrote:
At 11/5/19 05:41 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: I think now would be a good time to ask you about other 'applets' you remember using besides Flash. Programs like Java and Silverlight mainly. True, Flash was kind of a security risk but Java certainly was the bigger one of the lot. No wonder then why it was used rather sparingly compared to Flash. As for Silverlight, I suppose it was used even less and it was made by Microsoft so there's that going for it as well.
>this thread again
Newgrounds Player, dude. Install it. Set it as the default way to open Flash files in your user settings. Newgrounds Player makes Flash immortal. Not to mention high res.

Actually, I was just asking about your 'applet' experience in general. It's of course lamentable that one era in internet history is about to close.

At 11/5/19 10:46 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote:
>this thread again
Actually, I was just asking about your 'applet' experience in general. It's of course lamentable that one era in internet history is about to close.

Oh, well I don't have much experience with applets, but I do have some basic knowledge of using them. I remember Java Web Runtime being absolute garbage, but that's what powered MathCats, so I can't be too mad at it. Flash was definitely the victor against Java in that day and age.

Most web applets today utilize WebGL for games, and JavaScript (plus a billion different API's) for programs and services; sometimes they use a combo of both for complex games and rich, interactive web pages. Best to look in to those if you're interested in learning about the future of web applications and content.

On a side note: AIR (or Zinc for Macromedia users) is pretty good if you're comfortable with Flash but want to distribute an SWF as a stand alone program for computers.

Dude, I can't recall anything other than Flash. I killed so much time on dinky Flash games that either shamelessly ripped each other off or genuinely did something interesting that would make me come back to it. I still have fond memories of playing the The Binding of Isaac DEMO on repeat when I was just 12 or 13 years old before buying and playing the full version religiously. Also Club Penguin was where I made my first online friends.

[1] - [2] - [3]

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-05 14:23:21

What about the old grainy hentai games?!

Oh God! Will somebody please think about the old grainy hentai games!

BBS Signature

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-05 14:53:16

At 11/5/19 02:23 PM, ZomAlien wrote: What about the old grainy hentai games?!

no

BBS Signature

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-05 18:54:15

Were is Flash going? Out for cigarettes again?

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-06 05:45:43

At 11/5/19 02:23 PM, ZomAlien wrote: What about the old grainy hentai games?!

I hope they'll live forever too.

I put an african elephant in my fridge but I don't know how to get it out...

I'm usually over here.

At 11/5/19 06:54 PM, Gage wrote: Were is Flash going? Out for cigarettes again?

Worse. He's in jail again.

iu_67194_4272520.png

Unpaid speeding tickets.

Sleep so many dream, sugar prince.

لن أريكم مكان صنع عصير الليمون. నిమ్మకాయ లేదు.

BBS Signature

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-06 14:03:52

At 11/6/19 06:10 AM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 11/5/19 06:54 PM, Gage wrote: Were is Flash going? Out for cigarettes again?
Worse. He's in jail again.

Unpaid speeding tickets.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Actually, I'm more interested in how."

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-06 16:40:37

RealPlayer bitch!

Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-06 18:09:32

>this thread again

Will NG Player work on other sites then?

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-08 10:09:16

At 11/6/19 06:09 PM, c0ral wrote:
>this thread again
Will NG Player work on other sites then?

At the current moment, as far as I know, it doesn't. However, it will open SWF files both on Newgrounds and ones save to the harddrive and play them. Maybe a browser plugin will come in the future that will make NG Player universal.

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-08 10:11:02

At 11/5/19 01:38 PM, Nabella wrote: Also Club Penguin was where I made my first online friends.

Club Penguin was dope af. It pretty much demolished Toon Town IIRC.

Response to Since Flash is going away soon... 2019-11-08 10:16:43

At 11/5/19 05:41 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: I think now would be a good time to ask you about other 'applets' you remember using besides Flash. Programs like Java and Silverlight mainly. True, Flash was kind of a security risk but Java certainly was the bigger one of the lot.

Flashplayer would allow malicious programs to brick new computers. That’s 1000’s of dollars, down the toilet. They didn’t fix this.

We will always have nostalgia and hentai but a lot of influential people want it gone