00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Your Programing Language Choice?

4,138 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-08-17 18:53:16

ActionScript 2 was a lot of fun back in its day.

Everything just seemed to work. Even if you didn't have much programming knowledge, you could put together a game with just some buttons and "gotoAndPlay" statements.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-08-19 16:47:56

Honestly, the language I know the best is Python, but I've been trying to teach myself shit like C++.

I mean, I know HTML, too, but does that really... count? Not trying to belittle web devs or anything, it's just HTML is a very different language compared to most others.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-08-22 15:04:12

I used to care strongly about what language I used because I based my opinions entirely off memes. I for example used to really hate java because I kept running into memes it made you into a terrible programmer without myself even knowing a single line of java code or even how to use java beyond installing it to play runescape (Which funny enough doesn't even use Java anymore). Now I just use whatever as long as I can make a game out of it. But I do have a language hierarchy that I make a priority of what languages to become familiar over others. Assembly and C (C89 to be more specific) are my highest priority to be familiar with to become an overall better programmer in general so I can make better games. But I would use anything these days to make a game no matter how trivial it is. If it was just a small little snake clone in BATCH scripting (I know that BATCH is a scripting language, but I wanted an extreme example because I've seen some cool games made with very complex BATCH scripts), that's fine by me. I like a challenge. And using something like BATCH that wasn't even meant for games into a game of some sort is fun.

At 8/19/20 04:47 PM, HBaguette wrote: Honestly, the language I know the best is Python, but I've been trying to teach myself shit like C++.

I mean, I know HTML, too, but does that really... count? Not trying to belittle web devs or anything, it's just HTML is a very different language compared to most others.

HTML is a markup language that tells the browser how to render the page. There is no programming or even scripting involved, HTML5 to my understanding is all just fancy marketing that uses other technologies to let the browser know how to handle a program or application made in say JavaScript or whatever else can be ported to the web. I'm still learning myself about programming and scripting, so don't quote me on this. So no, I would say that HTML doesn't count as knowing programming. CSS wouldn't count either. Even web devs would say that knowing basic HTML doesn't count as being able to program, they use other actual languages with HTML as a glue of sort to make web pages.

"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work"

~Thomas Edison.

Embrace failure, embrace mistakes, each one is another step to success.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-08-30 21:05:39

Lua! I wish I could do everything in Lua. Well, for now I'm with JavaScript as I'm developing for web.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-10-01 12:39:26

At 10/14/19 04:09 PM, C0deSweat wrote: Personally I'm learning python so it can be easier to learn a new language, mainly because I don't know what I can and can't do with python.. I'd like to see my code in first hand results to keep me motivated during the failures. Maybe something like JS, Java(java is super long to script), sooommmtthing.... animated or visual?

I`m everywhere on this one, I just want some thoughts on peoples views and experiences with languages.

Thanks Guys.

Keep doing what your're doing man, python is the best language to start on and it is supeeeeeer useful.

At 2/3/20 03:25 PM, Jervaited wrote: ...
Knowing as many languages/libraries as possible is not a key point in programming.

Exactly, stay away from things like Brainfuck.

A.K.A. ONimiv

"I agree with that Onim person" ='D

BBS Signature

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-10-19 21:13:57

Python for me, currently the easiest language I can program games in.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-10-28 02:00:50

At 10/14/19 04:09 PM, C0deSweat wrote: Personally I'm learning python so it can be easier to learn a new language, mainly because I don't know what I can and can't do with python.. I'd like to see my code in first hand results to keep me motivated during the failures. Maybe something like JS, Java(java is super long to script), sooommmtthing.... animated or visual?

I`m everywhere on this one, I just want some thoughts on peoples views and experiences with languages.

Thanks Guys.

Personally, I like Python just because of how easy it is to use. Of course, that opinion may change in the future.

I'm quite new to programming. Am currently making a really tiny game. Play the Alpha Version Now!

BBS Signature

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-10-29 15:15:25

I use javascript as my main programming language, for developing sites, or other application in nodejs.

For simple scripts and automatize life, i use Python.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-11-15 22:11:38

Assembly is my favorite (although I hardly use it)

I like C and Lua

Though I HATE C# (I hate the way it works)

X2Sたr / 赤月の魔術師

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-12-28 23:24:18

I unironically do the most programming in Brainfuck. It's the only language I can use without looking up how to do things every 2 seconds. There's no overly complicated commands or anything so coding is mostly headache free despite how different it is from most modern languages. I have programmed in other languages but they are all so confusing that I have to constantly peek at a tutorial to get anything to work.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2021-01-10 08:24:28

SQL is the main body of my job.

Other than that, I do like Python and C#.

hee-ho, bitch!

BBS Signature