00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Your Programing Language Choice?

2,182 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Your Programing Language Choice? 2019-10-14 16:09:59

Personally I'm learning python so it can be easier to learn a new language, mainly because I don't know what I can and can't do with python.. I'd like to see my code in first hand results to keep me motivated during the failures. Maybe something like JS, Java(java is super long to script), sooommmtthing.... animated or visual?

I`m everywhere on this one, I just want some thoughts on peoples views and experiences with languages.

Thanks Guys.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2019-10-25 21:26:15

At 10/14/19 04:09 PM, C0deSweat wrote: Personally I'm learning python so it can be easier to learn a new language, mainly because I don't know what I can and can't do with python.. I'd like to see my code in first hand results to keep me motivated during the failures. Maybe something like JS, Java(java is super long to script), sooommmtthing.... animated or visual?

I`m everywhere on this one, I just want some thoughts on peoples views and experiences with languages.

Thanks Guys.

I like Javascript.

danidre14

E-mail me here.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2019-10-28 22:59:08

Currently would have to be Python.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2019-11-15 00:43:53

At 10/25/19 09:26 PM, danidre14 wrote:
At 10/14/19 04:09 PM, C0deSweat wrote: Personally I'm learning python so it can be easier to learn a new language, mainly because I don't know what I can and can't do with python.. I'd like to see my code in first hand results to keep me motivated during the failures. Maybe something like JS, Java(java is super long to script), sooommmtthing.... animated or visual?

Thanks Guys.
I like Javascript.

Believe the language is complicated in its syntax or structure?

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2019-11-21 09:53:00

C#, Go, Javascript, Python

Least favorite: C++

Most mastered language: C++ by far.

= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2019-11-22 17:58:14

I would say Java is probably my favorite programming language. I'm also a big fan of Lua, as I find it has a nicer syntax than Python personally. I'm far from being any kind of programming expert though. I still have a lot to learn, so my opinions may change in the future.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2019-12-14 04:39:24

Thanks Guys.

Trying to finish working on learning Python so I can build apps for SingularityNet. But I mostly work with Ruby, HTML, CSS, and Shell. I tried ChatScript once, but the service on Github is iffy, and I haven't found a good way to automatically start with a specific chatbot in Ruby.

I mostly build Static Site Generators and Artificial Intelligence these days.

( Though interestingly, I think that plays a role in my increasing disinterest in Science Fiction. )

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-01-06 13:08:37

Anything and everything with very little exceptions should be coded in C/C++. Then comes Java, SQL, and any other web language. Anything else is rubbish.

Tempus Edax Rerum

BBS Signature

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-01-14 18:14:01

At 1/6/20 01:08 PM, Gimel wrote: Anything and everything with very little exceptions should be coded in C/C++. Then comes Java, SQL, and any other web language. Anything else is rubbish.

So close minded, it's sad.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-01-15 07:15:02

At 1/14/20 06:14 PM, clud65 wrote:
At 1/6/20 01:08 PM, Gimel wrote: Anything and everything with very little exceptions should be coded in C/C++. Then comes Java, SQL, and any other web language. Anything else is rubbish.
So close minded, it's sad.

No. My eyes have been opened and I am enlightened.

Tempus Edax Rerum

BBS Signature

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-01-16 15:26:32

this, though replace java with python and I agree. And I bet those little exceptions should be written in assembly instead lol

keebs yay

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-01-20 18:09:23

At 1/16/20 03:26 PM, UnrealQuake2k4 wrote:
this, though replace java with python and I agree. And I bet those little exceptions should be written in assembly instead lol

Ah assembly works too.

Tempus Edax Rerum

BBS Signature

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-01-27 09:50:09

Usually working with java, javascript or c# while making games, when doing some bot scripts for work I use python as its pretty easy and clean.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-02-03 10:11:30

Python and c++.

There are so many libs in python. You can basicly do anything.

C++ is also good. It is a more complicated language.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-02-03 15:25:09

If you are wanting to learn a language other than python. Learn Java.

It is as OOP (Object Oriented) as you can get, which makes it an excellent stepping stone should you find yourself needing to learn another OOP-related language.

Knowing as many languages/libraries as possible is not a key point in programming.

Rather, it is ensuring that you can learn another language/library as fast as possible when the time calls for it.

Personally for me, I enjoy C# the most :V

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-02-08 05:10:18

Haxe and Typescript.

Although not a follower of [hseroK divaD], she's a devoted Branch Davidian.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-02-20 20:09:02

Not a big fan of Apple, and xcode is the most horrible IDE I've ever used, but Swift is an outright fun and convenient, high level language. would be great if you didn't have to deal with objective C at the same time. I like c++ because of the performance, but making the same thing in Rust requires less effort while keeping the same performance. Modern languages offer very convenient solutions, so I'd recommend those. Also it depends on what you're making. I wouldn't use C++ outside of game development. php is absolutely awful for anything, so for fullstack I'd go maybe java + js. I'm hoping web assembly gets natively supported so that we can get rid of js too, though. As a language, i do not like it.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-03-22 10:44:51

I like C++ and Javascript

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-04-06 09:36:09

I work with C# mostly but I worked with AS3, C++, LUA, Python, Java and JavaScript.

I think the programming language choice should be always the most useful one for the task. Given the grumpy programmer answer, I mostly like C#

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-04-12 11:07:55

What do you want to do?

• Make websites? Learn JavaScript.
  • Make web apps? Learn Flutter/Dart or React Native/JavaScript or ...
  • Make a AAA game? Learn C++.
  • Make a non-AAA game? Learn Unity/C# or Godot/GDScript or Love2D/Lua or Haxe or ...
  • Learn to program? Enroll in a MOOC and learn whatever language is taught by the course.

It sounds like you just want to dip your toes into programming. If that's the case, any popular memory-managed language (JavaScript, Java, Python, C#) is a fine language to start learning with.

Good luck!

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-04-14 12:12:43

Oh please, only plebs use "programming languages". Everyone knows the superior way is with pure ASM.

At 4/12/20 11:07 AM, andretchen wrote: What do you want to do?

It sounds like you just want to dip your toes into programming. If that's the case, any popular memory-managed language (JavaScript, Java, Python, C#) is a fine language to start learning with.

Good luck!

I like most of what you said. Especially with regards to non-AAA games, enrolling in a course and being at the mercy of whatever language they choose (since it really doesn't matter much other than maybe some paradigm stuff procedural vs OOP vs functional), and your distinction between websites and webapps.

I have to question your AAA -> C++ point though. Are you saying this because C++ is (and it absolutely is) the best way to go about engineering a brand new graphics engine from scratch? Because even AAA game development rarely rarely does this. I feel like C# is the way to go for AAA game development, not just because of Unity either.

But I have never done AAA-level development so mostly I'm just curious.

You might want to add C for embedded systems, COBOL for earning potential, and Golang for cloud stuff.

= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-04-28 12:38:14

C#'s been my main language, since I do everything in the Unity Engine. I learnt Java in grade 11 for an online highschool course but I haven't used it since. I've been wanting to learn JavaScript for awhile now so I can make things in the Phaser Framework, but I've had trouble wrapping my mind around the basics.

the final frontier!

BBS Signature

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-04-29 23:00:11

I don't have a strong language preference, but for a first language, starting hard is a good way to make sure you don't struggle later on. In particular, I would advise a compiled language to start (C++, C#, Java) before jumping into an interpreted languages.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-06-20 21:33:04

I have to question your AAA -> C++ point though. Are you saying this because C++ is (and it absolutely is) the best way to go about engineering a brand new graphics engine from scratch? Because even AAA game development rarely rarely does this. I feel like C# is the way to go for AAA game development, not just because of Unity either.

I admit that I added that a bit facetiously, since there's just about zero chance of anyone developping a AAA game from scratch just because s/he read my post. I just wanted to underscore that there's not a single, best language out there. Instead, it's a matter of finding the language that best fits your domain.

About C#, sure, why not? I'm not a AAA dev either though, so what do I know?

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-07-10 20:47:48

At 11/22/19 05:58 PM, Steveurkel wrote: I would say Java is probably my favorite programming language. I'm also a big fan of Lua, as I find it has a nicer syntax than Python personally. I'm far from being any kind of programming expert though. I still have a lot to learn, so my opinions may change in the future.

Been about 8 months since I made this post and I've learned a lot in that time. I would now say that C++ is my preferred compiled language, and I have officially jumped on the Python train, especially for web development which is currently the field that I am focusing on in my studies. Of course, I'm still learning and in another 8 months my opinions will probably change yet again, but that's just one of the many joys of programming lol.

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-07-15 08:44:23

I really liked my experience with C++ for game development. Most of the time the C++ part involves the back-end of the code, and handles a lot of the heavy lifting (especially on limited systems like consoles). But then, there's the front-end, which is usually handled by something more dynamic, like Lua and Python. I love going back and forth between the two, building complex systems on C++, and then using those systems effortlessly with dynamic languages.

However, when it comes to picking just one, I'd say C#. AS3 was a long time favourite of mine, but nowdays I've only seen it used in proprietary engines that still use Scaleform or other technologies that allows them to bind Flash content to their C++ code. Sadly, it is becoming less relevant with each passing day, but there are still AAA games using Flash for the UI.

I personally like C++! It's kind of a pain in the ass but I personally like having a lot of control over my code and its resources and having my code run a lot faster (learning low-level stuff can be pretty rewarding. Painful but rewarding.). A major perk is that pretty much every professional software dev learns C++ so it's easy to get help when you need it.

Also, there are a lot of languages that inherit C++'s functions so learning C++ makes learning other object oriented languages a lot easier (maybe scripts too. This might be a crime but I haven't learned scripting languages yet haha).

Response to Your Programing Language Choice? 2020-08-07 06:09:15

I have made a website using Java Script. I am completely satisfied, I recommend it.

At 8/7/20 06:09 AM, MilanaBezi wrote: I have made a website using Java Script. I am completely satisfied, I recommend it.

It is the best programming language available today. This is my website with Java Script, check it out for yourself.