00:00
00:00

confused about the rules?

179 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

confused about the rules? 2019-10-08 04:11:24


Hello everyone, I am music69012 and i am currently half deaf.

I am just confused about the audio rules.

Please explain to me what do they mean loop pack? and even this is correct, can i use my own pack?

and how to upload an original song.

I have nothing against the rules but i just wanted more information so i don't make the same mistake and join in the audio community.


At 10/8/19 04:11 AM, music69012 wrote: Please explain to me what do they mean loop pack? and even this is correct, can i use my own pack?


A loop pack is simply that, a pack of sampled loops. Whether it comes from your own software or from elsewhere: YMMV (your mileage may vary), but if you are planning to use loops:

  1. Always, ALWAYS read the terms of service. Make sure that the terms allow you to use them for commercial use / that you have the license to use them. If in doubt, get Creative Commons 0 or public domain ones because you can be sure to use them.
  2. More importantly, make sure that the majority of the work in your song is your melodies, your harmonies, your chords, and not just the chords from the loops. Anyone can mash a bunch of loops together to make something, it's an age-old thing that happens every so often.


and how to upload an original song.


https://newgrounds.com/submit


Hitting "Audio" will take you to the audio projects page. To start the process for uploading new audio, enter a title into the "New Title" box and you should be able to take it from there.


The rest should hopefully be self-explanatory, though if you need any help, just respond back and let me know what you need help with.


I have nothing against the rules but i just wanted more information so i don't make the same mistake and join in the audio community.


Naw, it's all good. I'm glad you asked. Welcome aboard!

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-08 07:37:29


Hello! i just wanted to say,

Thank you for talking to me, because I received an 90 days bans from the M-bot, which is it completely fine!


It just surprised me at the start. This is because i didn't understand the rules and wanted to show my talent in music.


Now that i read what you said, i will need to check the chord and any melody in the loops are in sync,

I also used an app called groove box which it is free on iPad/iPhone where you can export into separate wav loops.


Every song i do, is made from the scratch and no sample is used in groove box, just recommended midi note of drum beat. (automated suggestion) sometime i use it and edit it to make it or change the drums sound when i found the right rhythm.


I also use garage band and sometime i do use samples which it is alright?, let me know because i do have receive different instrument from the sample pack to mess around with the synth or the drum machine. (picture below if you don't know what i mean)


I hope everyone is doing alright and I hope i can show you my talent, even then i am half deaf.


From Music69012iu_60488_6983411.jpg


Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-08 07:58:17


At 10/8/19 07:37 AM, music69012 wrote: Hello! i just wanted to say,
Thank you for talking to me, because I received an 90 days bans from the M-bot, which is it completely fine!

It just surprised me at the start. This is because i didn't understand the rules and wanted to show my talent in music.

Now that i read what you said, i will need to check the chord and any melody in the loops are in sync,
I also used an app called groove box which it is free on iPad/iPhone where you can export into separate wav loops.

Every song i do, is made from the scratch and no sample is used in groove box, just recommended midi note of drum beat. (automated suggestion) sometime i use it and edit it to make it or change the drums sound when i found the right rhythm.

I also use garage band and sometime i do use samples which it is alright?, let me know because i do have receive different instrument from the sample pack to mess around with the synth or the drum machine. (picture below if you don't know what i mean)


Thanks for letting me know your process.


Samples, also treat with the same caution as loops, because some sample providers can be very picky about how their stuff's being used. If it comes with your own software (e.g. GarageBand), in most cases it should be okay, because most DAWs allow their default samples to be used for whatever.


GrooveBox might be a bit ambiguous, I'm not entirely familiar with it. It may be the whole Magix problem all over again — whereby most who use the software just want to mash loops, and because of that, legit composers can get caught in the dragnet.


I'll have another mod weigh in on what may have confused you about the rules as well, hoping they can help you out.


@JessePajamas @LexRodent

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-08 08:38:05


At 10/8/19 07:58 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 10/8/19 07:37 AM, music69012 wrote: Hello! i just wanted to say,
Thank you for talking to me, because I received an 90 days bans from the M-bot, which is it completely fine!

It just surprised me at the start. This is because i didn't understand the rules and wanted to show my talent in music.

Now that i read what you said, i will need to check the chord and any melody in the loops are in sync,
I also used an app called groove box which it is free on iPad/iPhone where you can export into separate wav loops.

Every song i do, is made from the scratch and no sample is used in groove box, just recommended midi note of drum beat. (automated suggestion) sometime i use it and edit it to make it or change the drums sound when i found the right rhythm.

I also use garage band and sometime i do use samples which it is alright?, let me know because i do have receive different instrument from the sample pack to mess around with the synth or the drum machine. (picture below if you don't know what i mean)
Thanks for letting me know your process.

Samples, also treat with the same caution as loops, because some sample providers can be very picky about how their stuff's being used. If it comes with your own software (e.g. GarageBand), in most cases it should be okay, because most DAWs allow their default samples to be used for whatever.

GrooveBox might be a bit ambiguous, I'm not entirely familiar with it. It may be the whole Magix problem all over again — whereby most who use the software just want to mash loops, and because of that, legit composers can get caught in the dragnet.

I'll have another mod weigh in on what may have confused you about the rules as well, hoping they can help you out.

@JessePajamas @LexRodent


While i'm not really a sample guy, i'm more of a midi guy, i can at least say that what i know is this: Your songs must be (mostly) your own original work. Using a sample or a loop in a song is not against ToS but making a song entirely composed of premade material is.


For example, i've made songs using loops before, as seen in:

at around 1:53, a chord pattern plays on a rhodes piano. This was a loop from the mixcraft library that i ended up basing the entire song around (even the parts where the loop is absent). This isn't against ToS.


There's parts of the song that use a drum loop from the library as well (starts right at the intro), but other parts of the song has drums that had me take the loop and cut out pieces (such as the kick) to make my own new loops using pieces of the original. The newly created loop can be heard at 2:00.


All the instrumentation otherwise are all midi and were programmed in via interface, note by note, and the melody and other things like arps and such were all composed by me. So even this song which uses a few samples/loops is still at the end of the day, a mostly original piece....


Now, if i made a song that consisted of only that rhodes loop on top of the drum loop, both unedited/unaltered, and uploaded that to the AP, it would be flagged because that would be a track that i didn't really create, but rather, merely assembled. If you are making music on this app "groovepad" which I am unfamiliar with, and all you are doing is dragging and dropping different sounds you find in libraries, then you aren't really making a song of your own creation, you're just assembling one.


Songs made ENTIRELY of sample/loops with high editing are allowed, because that consists of more work than just dragging and dropping premade material on top of each other and calling it a day. Songs like Daft Punk's One More Time is a good example of this. They took an old song, cut it up and pieced it together differently to make an entirely new song. This is cool and I like seeing people do this with loops and samples they find.


Does this make it easy to understand?


Zombie: ...............

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-08 13:14:05


At 10/8/19 08:38 AM, JessePajamas wrote:
At 10/8/19 07:58 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 10/8/19 07:37 AM, music69012 wrote: Hello! i just wanted to say,
Thank you for talking to me, because I received an 90 days bans from the M-bot, which is it completely fine!

It just surprised me at the start. This is because i didn't understand the rules and wanted to show my talent in music.

Now that i read what you said, i will need to check the chord and any melody in the loops are in sync,
I also used an app called groove box which it is free on iPad/iPhone where you can export into separate wav loops.

Every song i do, is made from the scratch and no sample is used in groove box, just recommended midi note of drum beat. (automated suggestion) sometime i use it and edit it to make it or change the drums sound when i found the right rhythm.

I also use garage band and sometime i do use samples which it is alright?, let me know because i do have receive different instrument from the sample pack to mess around with the synth or the drum machine. (picture below if you don't know what i mean)
Thanks for letting me know your process.

Samples, also treat with the same caution as loops, because some sample providers can be very picky about how their stuff's being used. If it comes with your own software (e.g. GarageBand), in most cases it should be okay, because most DAWs allow their default samples to be used for whatever.

GrooveBox might be a bit ambiguous, I'm not entirely familiar with it. It may be the whole Magix problem all over again — whereby most who use the software just want to mash loops, and because of that, legit composers can get caught in the dragnet.

I'll have another mod weigh in on what may have confused you about the rules as well, hoping they can help you out.

@JessePajamas @LexRodent
While i'm not really a sample guy, i'm more of a midi guy, i can at least say that what i know is this: Your songs must be (mostly) your own original work. Using a sample or a loop in a song is not against ToS but making a song entirely composed of premade material is.

For example, i've made songs using loops before, as seen in:
//www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/583764
at around 1:53, a chord pattern plays on a rhodes piano. This was a loop from the mixcraft library that i ended up basing the entire song around (even the parts where the loop is absent). This isn't against ToS.

There's parts of the song that use a drum loop from the library as well (starts right at the intro), but other parts of the song has drums that had me take the loop and cut out pieces (such as the kick) to make my own new loops using pieces of the original. The newly created loop can be heard at 2:00.

All the instrumentation otherwise are all midi and were programmed in via interface, note by note, and the melody and other things like arps and such were all composed by me. So even this song which uses a few samples/loops is still at the end of the day, a mostly original piece....

Now, if i made a song that consisted of only that rhodes loop on top of the drum loop, both unedited/unaltered, and uploaded that to the AP, it would be flagged because that would be a track that i didn't really create, but rather, merely assembled. If you are making music on this app "groovepad" which I am unfamiliar with, and all you are doing is dragging and dropping different sounds you find in libraries, then you aren't really making a song of your own creation, you're just assembling one.

Songs made ENTIRELY of sample/loops with high editing are allowed, because that consists of more work than just dragging and dropping premade material on top of each other and calling it a day. Songs like Daft Punk's One More Time is a good example of this. They took an old song, cut it up and pieced it together differently to make an entirely new song. This is cool and I like seeing people do this with loops and samples they find.

Does this make it easy to understand?


I get it now, thank for the explanation, posting seem a little difficult on here, but i will check with moderator first before posting any more original song on here, just in case i stumble up into trouble again.

Thx

From Music69012

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-08 20:58:06


At 10/8/19 01:14 PM, music69012 wrote:
At 10/8/19 08:38 AM, JessePajamas wrote:
At 10/8/19 07:58 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 10/8/19 07:37 AM, music69012 wrote: Hello! i just wanted to say,
Thank you for talking to me, because I received an 90 days bans from the M-bot, which is it completely fine!

It just surprised me at the start. This is because i didn't understand the rules and wanted to show my talent in music.

Now that i read what you said, i will need to check the chord and any melody in the loops are in sync,
I also used an app called groove box which it is free on iPad/iPhone where you can export into separate wav loops.

Every song i do, is made from the scratch and no sample is used in groove box, just recommended midi note of drum beat. (automated suggestion) sometime i use it and edit it to make it or change the drums sound when i found the right rhythm.

I also use garage band and sometime i do use samples which it is alright?, let me know because i do have receive different instrument from the sample pack to mess around with the synth or the drum machine. (picture below if you don't know what i mean)
Thanks for letting me know your process.

Samples, also treat with the same caution as loops, because some sample providers can be very picky about how their stuff's being used. If it comes with your own software (e.g. GarageBand), in most cases it should be okay, because most DAWs allow their default samples to be used for whatever.

GrooveBox might be a bit ambiguous, I'm not entirely familiar with it. It may be the whole Magix problem all over again — whereby most who use the software just want to mash loops, and because of that, legit composers can get caught in the dragnet.

I'll have another mod weigh in on what may have confused you about the rules as well, hoping they can help you out.

@JessePajamas @LexRodent
While i'm not really a sample guy, i'm more of a midi guy, i can at least say that what i know is this: Your songs must be (mostly) your own original work. Using a sample or a loop in a song is not against ToS but making a song entirely composed of premade material is.

For example, i've made songs using loops before, as seen in:
//www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/583764
at around 1:53, a chord pattern plays on a rhodes piano. This was a loop from the mixcraft library that i ended up basing the entire song around (even the parts where the loop is absent). This isn't against ToS.

There's parts of the song that use a drum loop from the library as well (starts right at the intro), but other parts of the song has drums that had me take the loop and cut out pieces (such as the kick) to make my own new loops using pieces of the original. The newly created loop can be heard at 2:00.

All the instrumentation otherwise are all midi and were programmed in via interface, note by note, and the melody and other things like arps and such were all composed by me. So even this song which uses a few samples/loops is still at the end of the day, a mostly original piece....

Now, if i made a song that consisted of only that rhodes loop on top of the drum loop, both unedited/unaltered, and uploaded that to the AP, it would be flagged because that would be a track that i didn't really create, but rather, merely assembled. If you are making music on this app "groovepad" which I am unfamiliar with, and all you are doing is dragging and dropping different sounds you find in libraries, then you aren't really making a song of your own creation, you're just assembling one.

Songs made ENTIRELY of sample/loops with high editing are allowed, because that consists of more work than just dragging and dropping premade material on top of each other and calling it a day. Songs like Daft Punk's One More Time is a good example of this. They took an old song, cut it up and pieced it together differently to make an entirely new song. This is cool and I like seeing people do this with loops and samples they find.

Does this make it easy to understand?
I get it now, thank for the explanation, posting seem a little difficult on here, but i will check with moderator first before posting any more original song on here, just in case i stumble up into trouble again.
Thx
From Music69012


The best rule of thumb is to only post things that you make yourself.


Zombie: ...............

To be or not to be?

LOL! Fighto!

BBS Signature

My fellow mods explained it right.

But just in case there's still a bit of doubt here's some examples of safe samples and or loops usage :


Individual sounds samples are perfectly fine to use if you create something else out of them. E.g :

  • Individual kick, hi-hat, snare, etc, used to make your own drum patterns.
  • Using a bass soundfont to create an original bass line.


Regarding stock loops, like the ones contained on garegeband (garageband live loops) and other sound packs:

it's allowed if those are just a minimum part of your song. E.g :

  • Stock drum patterns, original bass line, original chord progression and original melody : that's acceptable
  • Stock drum patterns, stock bass line, stock chord progression and original melody : that's not acceptable.

Still, it's highly recommended to avoid those completely.


You also need to be sure your samples and/or audio clips do not come from a copyrighted source as well as the licensing and usage terms of the provider.


BBS Signature

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-09 05:59:05


At 10/9/19 04:32 AM, LexRodent wrote: My fellow mods explained it right.
But just in case there's still a bit of doubt here's some examples of safe samples and or loops usage :

Individual sounds samples are perfectly fine to use if you create something else out of them. E.g :

Regarding stock loops, like the ones contained on garegeband (garageband live loops) and other sound packs:
it's allowed if those are just a minimum part of your song. E.g :
Still, it's highly recommended to avoid those completely.

You also need to be sure your samples and/or audio clips do not come from a copyrighted source as well as the licensing and usage terms of the provider.


Hi Lex Rodent

Ahhh i see! so like short clippet of the sample or midi controlled drum pad?

So if i use (let say garage band instrument) midi piano to make an original piece of a synth or an arp going up.

would that be allowed and second of all i am using (i think this is what it called?) DAWS synthesizer which uses the midi notation and can easily change sound like a piano > retro lead synth.

Thank for the help. I hope i can improve on my music skills and hopefully post it on here.

From Music69012 (The Deaf musician)


PS... Please forgive me, sometime i cannot understand properly at first and just do it without thinking straight.

so therefore i am willing to accept my 90 days ban till i can improve and just to check with the mods or the community before posting the original piece made by me. I am kinda like a simplistic person who didn't read the rules properly.

Music is my main hobby as well as gaming. My actual talent is computing.

I hope everyone is doing ok and i wish everyone to keep their talent up and never give up their dream.

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-09 06:46:16


At 10/9/19 05:59 AM, music69012 wrote:
At 10/9/19 04:32 AM, LexRodent wrote:
Hi Lex Rodent
Ahhh i see! so like short clippet of the sample or midi controlled drum pad?
So if i use (let say garage band instrument) midi piano to make an original piece of a synth or an arp going up.
would that be allowed and second of all i am using (i think this is what it called?) DAWS synthesizer which uses the midi notation and can easily change sound like a piano > retro lead synth.
Thank for the help. I hope i can improve on my music skills and hopefully post it on here.
From Music69012 (The Deaf musician)

PS... Please forgive me, sometime i cannot understand properly at first and just do it without thinking straight.
so therefore i am willing to accept my 90 days ban till i can improve and just to check with the mods or the community before posting the original piece made by me. I am kinda like a simplistic person who didn't read the rules properly.
Music is my main hobby as well as gaming. My actual talent is computing.
I hope everyone is doing ok and i wish everyone to keep their talent up and never give up their dream.


That's correct mate.

If you have as an example, a full 4 bars stock drum pattern, you could make all kinds of cuts and editing to it in order to make it different as well as taking small clips from the individual sounds to make something else.

And also yes :

You can use any instrument provided by your software and use the midi notation to make original chords, melodies, arps, etc, and change the sounds as you see fit for your piece.


Everyone can make an honest mistake, so don't worry about it ;)

Feel free to ask in here or via PM if you have any other questions.



BBS Signature

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-09 14:30:21


At 10/8/19 08:38 AM, JessePajamas wrote: Mixcraft

Do you still use Mixcraft? I don't mean to go off topic, but wow, it's hard to find other Mixcraft users. Everyone wants to use FL Studio, even though it's complicated as all hell to use.

BTW I have 4, 7 and 8 (Pro Studio on 8).

I prefer 7 for composing and midi editing, as 8 changed things relating to such.


Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-10 05:21:01


At 10/9/19 02:30 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/8/19 08:38 AM, JessePajamas wrote: Mixcraft
Do you still use Mixcraft? I don't mean to go off topic, but wow, it's hard to find other Mixcraft users. Everyone wants to use FL Studio, even though it's complicated as all hell to use.
BTW I have 4, 7 and 8 (Pro Studio on 8).
I prefer 7 for composing and midi editing, as 8 changed things relating to such.

I still do use mixcraft and use some samples, midi programming is my favorite thing!

I still perfer 7 because 8 is more complex.

so yes everything i do is garageband, mixcraft programmed song.

If you want me to, i can post my music channel (youtube channel if it allowed to do so) and show you my creativity by listening to one of my music.


Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-10 06:41:07


At 10/10/19 05:21 AM, music69012 wrote: I still do use mixcraft and use some samples, midi programming is my favorite thing!
I still perfer 7 because 8 is more complex.

I feel ya, but I do like some of the stuff 8 has to offer. Especially Pro Studio.

so yes everything i do is garageband, mixcraft programmed song.

Funny you mention GarageBand, that's why Mixcraft was made: GarageBand was not available for Windows.

If you want me to, i can post my music channel (youtube channel if it allowed to do so) and show you my creativity by listening to one of my music.

Yes, go for it

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-10 06:55:26


At 10/10/19 06:41 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/10/19 05:21 AM, music69012 wrote: I still do use mixcraft and use some samples, midi programming is my favorite thing!
I still perfer 7 because 8 is more complex.
I feel ya, but I do like some of the stuff 8 has to offer. Especially Pro Studio.
so yes everything i do is garageband, mixcraft programmed song.
Funny you mention GarageBand, that's why Mixcraft was made: GarageBand was not available for Windows.
If you want me to, i can post my music channel (youtube channel if it allowed to do so) and show you my creativity by listening to one of my music.
Yes, go for it


alright where shall i post my youtube link? should i dm you (just to be safe) or Should i post it here so everyone can see it?

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-10 07:29:36


At 10/10/19 06:55 AM, music69012 wrote:
At 10/10/19 06:41 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/10/19 05:21 AM, music69012 wrote: I still do use mixcraft and use some samples, midi programming is my favorite thing!
I still perfer 7 because 8 is more complex.
I feel ya, but I do like some of the stuff 8 has to offer. Especially Pro Studio.
so yes everything i do is garageband, mixcraft programmed song.
Funny you mention GarageBand, that's why Mixcraft was made: GarageBand was not available for Windows.
If you want me to, i can post my music channel (youtube channel if it allowed to do so) and show you my creativity by listening to one of my music.
Yes, go for it
alright where shall i post my youtube link? should i dm you (just to be safe) or Should i post it here so everyone can see it?


You can post it here. I'm pretty sure no one's gonna get mad about it.

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-10 07:40:10


At 10/10/19 07:29 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/10/19 06:55 AM, music69012 wrote:
At 10/10/19 06:41 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/10/19 05:21 AM, music69012 wrote: I still do use mixcraft and use some samples, midi programming is my favorite thing!
I still perfer 7 because 8 is more complex.
I feel ya, but I do like some of the stuff 8 has to offer. Especially Pro Studio.
so yes everything i do is garageband, mixcraft programmed song.
Funny you mention GarageBand, that's why Mixcraft was made: GarageBand was not available for Windows.
If you want me to, i can post my music channel (youtube channel if it allowed to do so) and show you my creativity by listening to one of my music.
Yes, go for it
alright where shall i post my youtube link? should i dm you (just to be safe) or Should i post it here so everyone can see it?
You can post it here. I'm pretty sure no one's gonna get mad about it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3iwTSefvqnlbrPXSJc8JZQ

here it is! hope ya enjoy it

Response to confused about the rules? 2019-10-10 07:47:13


At 10/10/19 07:40 AM, music69012 wrote:
At 10/10/19 07:29 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/10/19 06:55 AM, music69012 wrote:
At 10/10/19 06:41 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/10/19 05:21 AM, music69012 wrote: I still do use mixcraft and use some samples, midi programming is my favorite thing!
I still perfer 7 because 8 is more complex.
I feel ya, but I do like some of the stuff 8 has to offer. Especially Pro Studio.
so yes everything i do is garageband, mixcraft programmed song.
Funny you mention GarageBand, that's why Mixcraft was made: GarageBand was not available for Windows.
If you want me to, i can post my music channel (youtube channel if it allowed to do so) and show you my creativity by listening to one of my music.
Yes, go for it
alright where shall i post my youtube link? should i dm you (just to be safe) or Should i post it here so everyone can see it?
You can post it here. I'm pretty sure no one's gonna get mad about it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3iwTSefvqnlbrPXSJc8JZQ
here it is! hope ya enjoy it


Mr. Skoda will subscribe to you shortly.