00:00
00:00

Might be quitting because I suck

272 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-08 00:35:43


I’ve recent been completing if I should quit doing art or not,it has to do with my jealousy and my hatred for my own art because it’s not where I want to be,and I want to improve and practice and I do,whenever I can,I probably making a excuse not to practice...


im just upset with where I am at and feel stuck like I always do,like when people give me tools to help some of it I don’t understand like some tutorials like I can’t get my head around it I’m stupid as hell


How do I fix This?


I think about death,often

BBS Signature

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-08 02:37:10


At 10/8/19 12:35 AM, SaberToothCanine wrote: I’ve recent been completing if I should quit doing art or not,it has to do with my jealousy and my hatred for my own art because it’s not where I want to be,and I want to improve and practice and I do,whenever I can,I probably making a excuse not to practice...

im just upset with where I am at and feel stuck like I always do,like when people give me tools to help some of it I don’t understand like some tutorials like I can’t get my head around it I’m stupid as hell

How do I fix This?


Everyone goes through this phase multiple times be it from art blocks or being art envy just take a few days off if its really too toxic for you, just keep at it and if you dont understand the tutorials try to break it down a bit and see if that helps out.

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-08 03:41:02


Aside from what cow said, you really don't want to be too hard on yourself or your own art. Try to think of art things you think that you are bad at as opportunities to learn or improve on them; if you take the time and effort to learn about them, you'll eventually see notable improvements once you draw those specific stuff.

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-08 08:25:22


At 10/8/19 12:35 AM, SaberToothCanine wrote: im just upset with where I am at and feel stuck like I always do,like when people give me tools to help some of it I don’t understand like some tutorials like I can’t get my head around it I’m stupid as hell

If the tutorials people recommend for you are too difficult, you shouldn't be afraid/embarrassed to ask for even simpler resources. It's fine to admit you're not skilled enough if you're putting actual effort to be better.


I don't know what kind of style or level you're at but if, say, you're starting out with cartoon then you shouldn't force yourself to look up photorealistic references or tutorials on accurate anatomy. You should also try to avoid diving into what exactly you want to draw. You'll feel even less motivated when you realize you can't draw the exact poses, perspective, etc. Instead you should further lower your expectations and start with much simpler stuff.



Marck "Marckus" Ello

Obsessive artist and storyteller

Currently working on: Insufficient, an animation series

BBS Signature

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-08 17:05:32


Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes progress. Remember that.

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-08 22:46:49


At 10/8/19 08:25 AM, MarckEllo wrote:

you're starting out with cartoon then you shouldn't force yourself to look up photorealistic references or tutorials on accurate anatomy. You should also try to avoid diving into what exactly you want to draw.


Strong disagree. There's a reason EVERYONE will tell you to study anatomy. It's crucial. You can practice all you want doesn't mean you will improve. There's a youtube video called "Why "I have Drawn my Entire Life" Doesn't Matter

".


I know everyone likes to say "just practice you'll get better!" That's not really how it works. You need to learn from every piece. Ask yourself what you don't like, and how you can fix it.

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-09 02:59:19


At 10/8/19 10:46 PM, UfelosRed wrote:
At 10/8/19 08:25 AM, MarckEllo wrote:
you're starting out with cartoon then you shouldn't force yourself to look up photorealistic references or tutorials on accurate anatomy. You should also try to avoid diving into what exactly you want to draw.

Strong disagree. There's a reason EVERYONE will tell you to study anatomy. It's crucial. You can practice all you want doesn't mean you will improve.


You're missing my point. I'm not trying to lecture Saber, I'm trying to motivate them. Obviously, only drawing a sphere a hundred times a day just because the head resembles one does not make one a master at drawing heads.


Let me change my previous wording to make it clearer.


"If you're starting out with cartoon, then you shouldn't force yourself to master photorealism and accurate biological anatomy down to the gluteus maximus, just for the sake of enjoying the experience of learning to express your art.


Unless you're a fully determined artist with an optimistic mindset who is learning to recreate the human form, then it's definitely advisable for you to do so. If that's the case however, you wouldn't be making this thread in the first place so I don't really need to mention these last two sentences."


There's a youtube video called "Why "I have Drawn my Entire Life" Doesn't Matter
".


Don't know how this is relevant but I'll give it a look. Title sounds like an enjoyable online rant.


Marck "Marckus" Ello

Obsessive artist and storyteller

Currently working on: Insufficient, an animation series

BBS Signature

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-09 09:56:35


At 10/8/19 12:35 AM, SaberToothCanine wrote: I’ve recent been completing if I should quit doing art or not,it has to do with my jealousy and my hatred for my own art because it’s not where I want to be,and I want to improve and practice and I do,whenever I can,I probably making a excuse not to practice...

im just upset with where I am at and feel stuck like I always do,like when people give me tools to help some of it I don’t understand like some tutorials like I can’t get my head around it I’m stupid as hell

How do I fix This?


Everyone is like this

I suck at music and i wanted to quit but i tryed and it still sicks but its ok

I am still learning new things

maybe keep trying and you be very good someday :)


-Timeless

BBS Signature

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-09 19:10:15


For me at least I try to separate my practice from the art I'm creating. The art I'm creating may not be to my liking but it wouldn't exist if I had not made it. Acknowledge that there are mistakes in it. You may not like it. But remember it would not exist if you didn't decide to start.


When I am practicing I'm extremely critical about what I'm doing. It is more important to understand what I am doing rather than the results. So when you are practicing be sure to be okay with making mistakes. Continue onward look at it as a learning experience. It was very important to learn, and sometimes you don't see your mistakes. Having someone point out can help you grow as an artist as well.

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-10 14:56:16


At 10/9/19 02:59 AM, MarckEllo wrote:


Let me change my previous wording to make it clearer.


Sorry, i probably just misunderstood. I read it like you were saying "forget about accurate anatomy, just draw till you get better."

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-10 15:58:38


Maybe try taking a course in drawing could help out a lot. I went from drawing badly to drawing better designs after a few months with my teacher. Don't get me wrong it was tough work, but it will help out a lot if you have the mind set to do it.


BBS Signature

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-10 18:10:41


Maybe you just need a breather, you don't need to quit. Also you shouldn't set too high of a goal at the start. Just take little goals and do your best to achieve them steadily. Please keep going. :)

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-10 20:02:50


“Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.” - Stephen King


You already have good progress, don't give up.

You might be on the verge of a art breakthrough, see this chartiu_61120_5739368.jpg

if all else fails, practice makes perfect https://www.quickposes.com/en/gestures/randomhttps://www.quickposes.com/en/gestures/random


You can lead a horse to water, but that horse is a actually a donkey and he wont listen to a word you say because he is rebellious

BBS Signature

Response to Might be quitting because I suck 2019-10-16 22:50:20


I hope this isn't too late: but don't quit. The only surefire way to fail is to quit. Art takes time. Especially if you are self-teaching.