00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BACKRUMS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The ~Future~ Of Music

1,619 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-06 21:12:45

People of Newgrounds, it has come to my attention that 2020 is but only around the corner. With each passing decade come a new wave, a new sound that dominates the musical landscape. This change has always and will always occur with each passing decade. What will the year 2020 and beyond hold for us? My solid bet is on one particular subgenre of music, FUTURE! Future funk, future bass, future TRAP even???? [my audios for details, shameless plug blegh uwu] Future takes a fine funky aesthetic from a time long ago and re-imagines it into a dancy and upbeat banger. At the beginning I got hooked on to Mikazuki Bigwave, an artist whose music is purely energetic, jazzy, and nostalgic and funky all at once. Future trap could exist to bridge the transition in between the old and new waves of music and so far, I can see this being the most plausible. With any luck this wave will take off and I'll get to see an underrated genre get the recognition it deserves! Any thoughts on the "future" wave?

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-06 22:42:46

There won't be a future for music if we don't survive the collapse.

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-07 09:22:01

At 10/6/19 10:42 PM, Bonnot wrote: There won't be a future for music if we don't survive the collapse.

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-07 13:49:54

At 10/7/19 09:22 AM, BlackLynk wrote:
At 10/6/19 10:42 PM, Bonnot wrote: There won't be a future for music if we don't survive the collapse.

Exactly what's the point of this enterprise, OP? Bonnot is right. If an entire civilisation or group of people is wiped out there'll be none of their music to share, there won't be a future.

Re your post: Genre blending is always the way to go, but no one's gonna say that manufacturing a genre and calling it something is what works. It never does. What something is labelled as is often up to listeners and fans. It happens organically, and it could be as a result of something a band says or does. Or it could be down to the people describing a movement, or a dance, or a drumbeat, or a kind of feel.

Also. The future will very quickly become the past. In the next decade - heck, in the next few years or months, sometimes, younger people will describe the future, and its music, in different terms than you. Might be hard to conceive, but it's true. Calling something "future" when it can be quickly made obsolete is farcical.

Oh and by the way, you've just wasted a few seconds of the future; they've quickly become the past as you've been reading this. Case in point.

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-09 15:12:23

At 10/7/19 01:49 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 10/7/19 09:22 AM, BlackLynk wrote:
Exactly what's the point of this enterprise, OP? Bonnot is right. If an entire civilisation or group of people is wiped out there'll be none of their music to share, there won't be a future.

Re your post: Genre blending is always the way to go, but no one's gonna say that manufacturing a genre and calling it something is what works. It never does. What something is labelled as is often up to listeners and fans. It happens organically, and it could be as a result of something a band says or does. Or it could be down to the people describing a movement, or a dance, or a drumbeat, or a kind of feel.

Also. The future will very quickly become the past. In the next decade - heck, in the next few years or months, sometimes, younger people will describe the future, and its music, in different terms than you. Might be hard to conceive, but it's true. Calling something "future" when it can be quickly made obsolete is farcical.

Oh and by the way, you've just wasted a few seconds of the future; they've quickly become the past as you've been reading this. Case in point.

i feel like you're spouting off about a genre you know nothing about, thanks for the response tho, that's a bump homie 👊

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-09 15:36:06 (edited 2019-10-09 15:43:36)

At 10/9/19 03:12 PM, BlackLynk wrote: i feel like you're spouting off about a genre you know nothing about, thanks for the response tho, that's a bump homie 👊

Only one way to find out 😏 I happen to be a fan of one of the best genre blenders in existence, Akiko Shikata, so what you're suggesting isn't exactly new. And she isn't exactly alone in doing what she does either. Practically every VGM artist known to us today does this.

Also, do you want it to burn hot and fast like Tecktonik and bigroom, or do you want it to endure like what was once experimental, or prog stuff?

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-09 15:47:39

I think we'll just continue to see more and more genre-blending from all across the musical landscape. People are tired of hearing only a couple of genres at a time, and I think this recent rise in ultra-experimental music will only continue to grow and become more intense in the 2020s.

coo coo bitch lmfao

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 01:03:11

I hope a new subgenre of Drum and Bass appears uwu

iu_60929_7326896.jpg

How's it going mate? 🤠

BBS Signature

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 01:48:38

Future? Fuck dude I spend so much time looking to the past I don't even care about a future. All I know is that mostly guitar based music is dead in the mainstream and probably weird semi alternative cultures will keep getting squeezed by the mainstream in the nearby future. Fuck maybe everything will get nuked to shit and people start going Mad Max in desert areas and start blasting Motorhead (or Children of Technology idk) because it's sick post apoc raiding music.

Fuck maybe old metal will get popular again

iu_60939_5115304.gif

Yeah fuckin right

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 02:14:53

At 10/10/19 01:03 AM, J-DieswYx wrote: I hope a new subgenre of Drum and Bass appears uwu

same DnB goes dumb hard

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 03:46:06

At 10/10/19 01:48 AM, MercyfulDeath wrote: Fuck maybe old metal will get popular again

Yeah fuckin right

Here, folk and trad (and early music especially) are among the genres getting a resurgence.

Now I'm glad my beloved gifted me that medieval snare, not just because I love its sound and feel. I'm going to have context to play it too. 💓

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 04:04:47

It's almost 2020 and I am still listening to deathcore. Slaughter to Prevail's new LP is what I am waiting in 2020.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 06:26:44

At 10/10/19 04:04 AM, iscrulz wrote: It's almost 2020 and I am still listening to deathcore. Slaughter to Prevail's new LP is what I am waiting in 2020.

if we're talking the deathcore route, check out that album from Thy Art Is Murder, Human Target. Solid little ditty that dropped this year. At this point though, i really wish these bands would evolve just a little too stay alive. This area of music isn't doing so hot for a reason

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 06:45:33

At 10/10/19 06:26 AM, BlackLynk wrote:
At 10/10/19 04:04 AM, iscrulz wrote: It's almost 2020 and I am still listening to deathcore. Slaughter to Prevail's new LP is what I am waiting in 2020.
if we're talking the deathcore route, check out that album from Thy Art Is Murder, Human Target. Solid little ditty that dropped this year. At this point though, i really wish these bands would evolve just a little too stay alive. This area of music isn't doing so hot for a reason

Careful what you wish for.

I'm happy if people evolved musically of their own accord and shared with us their soul, not because they're trying to appeal to a fandom or trying to stay relevant or trying to earn money. Coldplay is the example often cited in these parts of how wrong a band's evolution can go.

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 15:08:50

I'm gonna be completely honest with all of ya's

I don't really see a future for music... Like, at all.The only thing I've noticed with music lately is how most musicians and even groups (mainly in rap music and all of that shit) are full of themselves. I honestly do wish we could go back to making music with actual instruments and not relying on either other people or relying too much on computers.

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 15:20:49 (edited 2019-10-10 15:24:25)

At 10/10/19 03:08 PM, Leichenschmaus wrote: I'm gonna be completely honest with all of ya's
I don't really see a future for music... Like, at all.The only thing I've noticed with music lately is how most musicians and even groups (mainly in rap music and all of that shit) are full of themselves. I honestly do wish we could go back to making music with actual instruments and not relying on either other people or relying too much on computers.

Speaking as a drummer (and as a multi-instrumentalist who records)... I'm surprised you're saying this considering that you're dependent on a drummer, and the drummer is dependent on a bassist, and both are dependent on someone else.

Music is communication: whether it be communication with other musicians, or communication between a musician and their audience, it is communication. Once that is lost, then the whole purpose of music is lost. Doesn't matter the means, whether offline or online.

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 15:37:43

At 10/10/19 03:20 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 10/10/19 03:08 PM, Leichenschmaus wrote: I'm gonna be completely honest with all of ya's
Speaking as a drummer (and as a multi-instrumentalist who records)... I'm surprised you're saying this considering that you're dependent on a drummer, and the drummer is dependent on a bassist, and both are dependent on someone else.

Music is communication: whether it be communication with other musicians, or communication between a musician and their audience, it is communication. Once that is lost, then the whole purpose of music is lost. Doesn't matter the means, whether offline or online.

Huh...I guess I just might be dumb them

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 15:52:29

At 10/10/19 03:37 PM, Leichenschmaus wrote:
At 10/10/19 03:20 PM, Troisnyx wrote:

Huh...I guess I just might be dumb them

Your words, not mine.

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 16:07:07

Not relying on other people??? Dude, collaboration between people has literally ALWAYS been an integral part of music, and it always will be. All the way back to orchestras in ancient Greece. Wishing for everybody to "go back" to a time when we didn't rely on others to make music is ridiculous and it will never happen.

And when have musicians NOT been full of themselves? I don't think that's a particularly new thing.

"I don't see a future for music... at all." Okay???? What does that even mean?? Are you saying music as a whole is gonna collapse or some shit? What are you talking about? Or is that your way of saying you don't like "modern" music?

Music with computers is personal taste, but I personally think a lot of great genres have come from or have been aided by computers. Synthwave, digital rock, dubstep, IDM, vaporwave, chillhop, electronica, all these genres have had computers as their best friend. But again, that's my opinion.

coo coo bitch lmfao

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 20:21:52

At 10/10/19 03:46 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Here, folk and trad (and early music especially) are among the genres getting a resurgence.

Now I'm glad my beloved gifted me that medieval snare, not just because I love its sound and feel. I'm going to have context to play it too. 💓

Yeah, I saw a boom recently around 2015 for traditional 80's style metal in the underground. I can't really say I vibed much with it or even participated because I was busy trying to get my own shit off the ground and failing, plus a lot of those bands came from rethrash kid backgrounds and most of those guys pissed me off because they were dumb assholes pretending to like thrash for the hipster points, so having them invade my goddamn Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol and NWOBHM videos with less than 10,000 views from 2008 in Youtube peeved me quite a bit. I guess I've matured now, since I post my shit much more freely and I don't really give a fuck if anyone likes it or not. Can't say much for folk metal, never was the biggest fan of it, but one day I'll listen to Skyclad for shits and giggles. Probably.

On another note, medieval snares are a thing? srsly?

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 20:22:47

At 10/10/19 03:46 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Here, folk and trad (and early music especially) are among the genres getting a resurgence.

Yeah, I saw a boom recently around 2015 for traditional 80's style metal in the underground. I can't really say I vibed much with it or even participated because I was busy trying to get my own shit off the ground and failing, plus a lot of those bands came from rethrash kid backgrounds and most of those guys pissed me off because they were dumb assholes pretending to like thrash for the hipster points, so having them invade my goddamn Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol and NWOBHM videos with less than 10,000 views from 2008 in Youtube peeved me quite a bit. I guess I've matured now, since I post my shit much more freely and I don't really give a fuck if anyone likes it or not. Can't say much for folk metal, never was the biggest fan of it, but one day I'll listen to Skyclad for shits and giggles. Probably.

On another note, medieval snares are a thing? srsly?

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-10 20:27:23

At 10/10/19 08:22 PM, MercyfulDeath wrote: On another note, medieval snares are a thing? srsly?

Yeah; look up MioHomu; I own one of those. Calfskin heads, no raised rims, gut snares. It's traditionally played on the head with the snares, but I treated it like a tenor drum for the purposes of this song.

A good source for what one looks like and how one's played is Thoinot Arbeau's "Orchésographie"; if you can find a translation or someone by you who can read the early modern French, that'd be great.

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-11 13:13:55

At 10/10/19 10:31 AM, FlyingKittyz wrote: Future Dubstep

aye, you might could be on to something

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-11 13:17:05

At 10/10/19 04:07 PM, HavryloThePigeon wrote:
Not relying on other people??? Dude, collaboration between people has literally ALWAYS been an integral part of music, and it always will be. All the way back to orchestras in ancient Greece. Wishing for everybody to "go back" to a time when we didn't rely on others to make music is ridiculous and it will never happen.

And when have musicians NOT been full of themselves? I don't think that's a particularly new thing.

"I don't see a future for music... at all." Okay???? What does that even mean?? Are you saying music as a whole is gonna collapse or some shit? What are you talking about? Or is that your way of saying you don't like "modern" music?

Music with computers is personal taste, but I personally think a lot of great genres have come from or have been aided by computers. Synthwave, digital rock, dubstep, IDM, vaporwave, chillhop, electronica, all these genres have had computers as their best friend. But again, that's my opinion.

somebody with some sense, thank god

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-13 09:51:24

Hopefully, it'll have something to do with metal

Notorious internet cunt

My old username was StaticSkull

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-20 22:39:21

Future bass will be renamed to bass

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-21 05:38:17

Well if we're predicting the new wave, we should look at world events that evolve around us. If there was anything that caused the counter-culture dominance of the 1960's and 1970's, it was the Vietnam war, the cuban missle crisis, and the changing mentality after the end of the second world war. If there was anything that caused the upbeat fast-paced rhythm of the 80's it was the statistical increase of lead in the blood, and of course all that sweet sweet cocaine. Speaking of drugs, is it any wonder that popular genres have seemed to slow in tempo and energy these days in the wake of the opioid crisis in America?

I'm with you OP, I'm hoping for an energetic and upbeat wave in the future... Coke needs to make a comeback

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-22 16:57:26

Wait until these AI composers start coming more and more

https://aiva.ai/

Then let's talk about future of music.

SpotifyYouTubeDiscordBandcampTwitterFacebook

BBS Signature

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-22 20:50:44

At 10/22/19 04:57 PM, eluukkanen wrote: Wait until these AI composers start coming more and more

AI? We have a culture and a togetherness and a camaraderie to preserve with the music we make.

Until the AI passes the Turing test, it's not going to comprehend that. Take heart!

Response to The ~Future~ Of Music 2019-10-22 21:26:07 (edited 2019-10-22 21:38:10)

At 10/22/19 04:57 PM, eluukkanen wrote: Wait until these AI composers start coming more and more

yuck.. listened to the cinematic demo and it sounds like a child's attempt at minimalism. Maybe when the AI grows up and takes a few theory lessons will Aiva's writing become cohesive and interesting.

Edit: Watched the ending of the demo and realized their point. AI starts off with a template of motifs for the "composer" to sample and manipulate from. Here's the full track of one of their demo's that started with AI while incorporating some human tinkering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k-c70psmv8

Here's an interesting comment about it:

iu_63820_4812473.png

That's really intriguing to me. People are clamoring for the uninspired. Now this is what I think @Leichenschmaus is referring to when he says music has no future. The trajectory of the future in all aspects of life seem to consist a desire for more automation and that is already the case here for music. Whether music is dead is more of a philosophical debate. I find it more likely that human's capability to listening and communicating to one another will diminish and potentially die as it already has been in many of our human interactions.

The meaning behind a piece of art has already been treated as relative, hence the theory behind it becomes lost and the message unclear. Therefore, our means of communicating becomes less coherent. This is Leichenschmaus point more or less that I don't necessarily disagree with when I choose to be pessimistic about the future.