00:00
00:00

Environmental work

482 Views | 46 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 20:10:19 (edited 2019-10-07 20:18:51)

At 10/7/19 07:42 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
At 10/7/19 07:31 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 10/7/19 07:26 PM, GreyHooves wrote: Right? I mean, sure, space travel and colonization and all that might be a cool thing to shoot for, but our priorities as earthlings seem rather off, to put it mildly.
We can't even clean up after ourselves in space unfortunately.
There's so much junk around earth, that any passing alien scrap miners would instantly be our best friends.

Just wait until we reach the bottom of the oceans and start building underground.
side note - "Alien scrap miners" sounds like an interesting premise to a movie.
Welp, just another task to put on the docket then. Orbital space junk cleanup.

My idea: Space whales.

Essentially like giant garbage trucks driving backwards to collect space junk. The same way whales collect food.

With a magnetized net trailing behind it.

Hmm... Well, I am a diver, and I AM highly interested in underwater and floating cities/communities, but I'd like to think that that point is reached we'd have less polluting methods of construction >.>

There's an underwater museum in the Canary Islands.

It's awesome looking.

iu_60406_4272520.jpgiu_60407_4272520.jpg

Sleep so many dream, sugar prince.

لن أريكم مكان صنع عصير الليمون. నిమ్మకాయ లేదు.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 21:55:48

At 10/7/19 07:37 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
At 10/7/19 06:57 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 10/7/19 06:26 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 06:13 PM, Kiwi wrote:
At 10/7/19 05:09 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
Can't even link me before talkin' shit about me, man? I love talking shit about me. I do it all the time. Lame.
Lmao no I like you you're fun shut up
Hey, calm down you two
No, you calm UP buddy.
You think people are going to walk around with a plastic bag and a pointy stick on their off-time?
Only an old testament style server wipe of the Earth is going to fix this shit.

I'll carry wrappers around all day if I have to.
Wanna know why?
Because O.G Old Testament God will start poppin' caps in our asses again if we keep up this crap.
(There aren't enough garbage cans around public places/sidwalks honestly.)

there are children present.
Where?
Where da chidrin at?
I'll panic yell at them too.
It's good for their bones.
I personally think that, while well-intentioned, small things like that really won't make much if any difference. I think that the really big difference makers will come from individuals who come up with ideas or inventions designed to specifically take care of the problems of pollution, and I have doubts as to whether people motivated by profit would be able to contribute meaningfully. I'm personally focused on the oceans right now, and I'd like to develop a filtration system to remove the pollutants within it, but my current knowledge on filters and whatnot is too lacking to develop something right now :/

So I'll have to settle for removing the big pieces of trash by hand at the moment while studying up

We definitely need individuals who have money, but aren't controlled by greed and making a profit to support environmental cleanup plans. Unfortunately they're few and far between.

I promise that if I ever get rich I will do what I can. In the meantime, I'll keep doing the small things and encouraging today's youth to participate in environmental cleanups as well.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 22:00:22

At 10/7/19 09:55 PM, Kiwi wrote:
Can't even link me before talkin' shit about me, man? I love talking shit about me. I do it all the time. Lame.
Hey, calm down you two
No, you calm UP buddy.
You think people are going to walk around with a plastic bag and a pointy stick on their off-time?

Wanna know why?
Because O.G Old Testament God will start poppin' caps in our asses again if we keep up this crap.

Where?
Where da chidrin at?
I personally think that, while well-intentioned, small things like that really won't make much if any difference. I think that the really big difference makers will come from individuals who come up with ideas or inventions designed to specifically take care of the problems of pollution, and I have doubts as to whether people motivated by profit would be able to contribute meaningfully. I'm personally focused on the oceans right now, and I'd like to develop a filtration system to remove the pollutants within it, but my current knowledge on filters and whatnot is too lacking to develop something right now :/

So I'll have to settle for removing the big pieces of trash by hand at the moment while studying up
We definitely need individuals who have money, but aren't controlled by greed and making a profit to support environmental cleanup plans. Unfortunately they're few and far between.

I promise that if I ever get rich I will do what I can. In the meantime, I'll keep doing the small things and encouraging today's youth to participate in environmental cleanups as well.

I, for one, am poor, but I do my part to not contribute to pollution and litter. For one, I find a trash can or recycle bin for my trash (Wawa is great for actually having recycling containers and not just trash cans). Second, I don't drive. Not even long distances. I ride my bike (no motor). In rare cases where I have to travel far in inclement weather, I use public transportation. I hate it, though.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 22:32:21

At 10/7/19 10:00 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
Hey, calm down you two
No, you calm UP buddy.

Wanna know why?

Where?
Where da chidrin at?

I, for one, am poor, but I do my part to not contribute to pollution and litter. For one, I find a trash can or recycle bin for my trash (Wawa is great for actually having recycling containers and not just trash cans). Second, I don't drive. Not even long distances. I ride my bike (no motor). In rare cases where I have to travel far in inclement weather, I use public transportation. I hate it, though.

10/10 for doing your part boo thang. Boutta start a gang gang of us environmental savvy newgrounders.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 22:48:58

At 10/7/19 08:10 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 10/7/19 07:42 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
At 10/7/19 07:31 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 10/7/19 07:26 PM, GreyHooves wrote: Right? I mean, sure, space travel and colonization and all that might be a cool thing to shoot for, but our priorities as earthlings seem rather off, to put it mildly.
We can't even clean up after ourselves in space unfortunately.
There's so much junk around earth, that any passing alien scrap miners would instantly be our best friends.

Just wait until we reach the bottom of the oceans and start building underground.
side note - "Alien scrap miners" sounds like an interesting premise to a movie.
Welp, just another task to put on the docket then. Orbital space junk cleanup.
My idea: Space whales.
Essentially like giant garbage trucks driving backwards to collect space junk. The same way whales collect food.
With a magnetized net trailing behind it.

Hmm... Well, I am a diver, and I AM highly interested in underwater and floating cities/communities, but I'd like to think that that point is reached we'd have less polluting methods of construction >.>
There's an underwater museum in the Canary Islands.
It's awesome looking.

I can see that. Get some robotics expert to make that shit. Better yet, learn robots and make that shit :P

That's cool. I would like to see more things like that, but also things that would allow for more interactivity too. Like Gardens with different kinds of kelp or seaweed, or underwater petting zoos or something XD.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 23:23:28

Hey, calm down you two
No, you calm UP buddy.

Wanna know why?

Where?
Where da chidrin at?

I wouldn't say we need them, per se, but they definitely have more of a capability to make a difference in the immediate sense. But like, what we really need are people who have the desire to make a difference, and the motivation to learn how to make the difference. A few other things sprinkled here and there help, like insight, or connections, or whatnot, but It's not impossible for a single person to make a difference regardless of financial situation. At least that's what I believe.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 23:25:22

Hey, calm down you two
No, you calm UP buddy.

Wanna know why?

Where?
Where da chidrin at?

I like to think that every time you get on a subway or bus, you loudly proclaim "I'M ONLY DOING THIS FOR THE ENVIRONMENT, ASSHOLES!" and then take your seat. :D

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 23:27:35

At 10/7/19 10:32 PM, Kiwi wrote:
Hey, calm down you two
No, you calm UP buddy.

Wanna know why?

Where?
Where da chidrin at?

10/10 for doing your part boo thang. Boutta start a gang gang of us environmental savvy newgrounders.

First we need to set up a well choreographed dance for us all to learn. That's a rule for starting a gang, right? Or is that only street gangs?

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-08 13:38:57

At 10/7/19 03:37 PM, Kiwi wrote: Like the one who just quoted the Bible in this thread LOL
You don't like posting apocalyptic quotes for fun?
You don't pull out the occasional hellfire speech just for shits and giggles?

No, and Hail Odin.

At 10/7/19 06:26 PM, OrangeTheory wrote: Hey, calm down you two, there are children present.

I fail to see the problem.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-08 22:17:34

So who knows of a proper way to recycle tires? There are a bunch in the water here and I want to figure out what to do with them before I take them out of the water.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-08 22:37:12 (edited 2019-10-08 22:41:04)

At 10/8/19 10:17 PM, GreyHooves wrote: So who knows of a proper way to recycle tires? There are a bunch in the water here and I want to figure out what to do with them before I take them out of the water.

Here's a start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_recycling

I think they're mostly used to make new road surfaces and alternative fuel.

You might have to call a city representative, or look up what place collects them for recycling.

As far as what an individual can do with them, that's all up to your own creativity.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-08 23:05:07 (edited 2019-10-08 23:08:58)

Oh, and I'd keep a record of all the stuff you've done with photographs If I were you.

You never know if it might be useful someday.

(Tax breaks for charity work, formal recognition from the city/mayor, a fancy plaque on the courthouse, you never know.)

Even if it's purely to help the environment and you don't actually want anything from it, it can't hurt to get some attention for your cause. Even if it's just a small clip on the local news or something.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-09 19:20:53

At 10/8/19 10:37 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 10/8/19 10:17 PM, GreyHooves wrote: So who knows of a proper way to recycle tires? There are a bunch in the water here and I want to figure out what to do with them before I take them out of the water.
Here's a start.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_recycling

I think they're mostly used to make new road surfaces and alternative fuel.
You might have to call a city representative, or look up what place collects them for recycling.

As far as what an individual can do with them, that's all up to your own creativity.

I didn't think to contact a city rep for that before. I looked it up and shot someone

an email asking them about that.

As far as what I would do with them personally, I'm severely limited by what my captain would consider to be acceptable to have around here.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-09 19:21:25

At 10/8/19 11:05 PM, JosephStarr wrote: Oh, and I'd keep a record of all the stuff you've done with photographs If I were you.
You never know if it might be useful someday.
(Tax breaks for charity work, formal recognition from the city/mayor, a fancy plaque on the courthouse, you never know.)
Even if it's purely to help the environment and you don't actually want anything from it, it can't hurt to get some attention for your cause. Even if it's just a small clip on the local news or something.

Oh I already do. :D

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-10 01:12:30

One of my majors is Environmental Science, and i feel like there is so much we can do for or environment other than just turning off the lights and taking shorter showers. What is in our oceans is a major thing so I commend you for diving. Its not something that alot of people think about. Because for the most part, unless its necessary, anything that falls into the ocean is either "too expensive to extract/clean up" or doesn't pose a threat to our (human) life. But I bet you've found some interesting thinks while diving. My friend dives and he found a car in a lake one time. Locals said it was extracted once and something when wrong in the process and ended up sliding back into the lake and they just left it there. He was just saying about how all of those auto fluids (gasoline, oil, chemicals) leaked out of the car and into the lake.

SuperJoker429/RmPGJoker

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-11 01:24:01

At 10/10/19 01:12 AM, SuperJoker429 wrote: One of my majors is Environmental Science, and i feel like there is so much we can do for or environment other than just turning off the lights and taking shorter showers. What is in our oceans is a major thing so I commend you for diving. Its not something that alot of people think about. Because for the most part, unless its necessary, anything that falls into the ocean is either "too expensive to extract/clean up" or doesn't pose a threat to our (human) life. But I bet you've found some interesting thinks while diving. My friend dives and he found a car in a lake one time. Locals said it was extracted once and something when wrong in the process and ended up sliding back into the lake and they just left it there. He was just saying about how all of those auto fluids (gasoline, oil, chemicals) leaked out of the car and into the lake.

I agree. It really should be more pressing for people to take care of the planet because it's everyone's home. I mean, most people don't leave messes in their homes or when something is leaking or stinks or rots or molds they clean it up, yet just outside of our little sanctuaries it's someone else's problem.

And of course, if we take into consideration that the population will only continue to rise and how we love to expand our territories, it makes sense that we will start to find all these new ways to live out on or under the seas, developing floating or underwater communities and whatnot, so it'd be nice if the waters were at least a bit cleaner when that becomes more popular.

Oh, there's just so much garbage down there. I live in this marina that used to be nothing but shrimp boats back in the day, and I'm beginning to suspect that shrimpers aren't typically the environmentally conscious sort.

I probably won't find a car in these waters, but I most certainly will find parts of boats. And not just that, but like, I'll pick up a rock and half of it is black, oil stained... it's everywhere.

I've been reading up on Seagrasses. I'd like to experiment to see if I could plant them in the harbor here to help filter the water. And there are a couple other aquatic plants that can apparently help clean up oil in the water too, but it seems like they could be considered invasive species', so they can't just be used willy nilly.

Maybe silly billy.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-11 02:15:25

first of all you need to understand the earth is flat