00:00
00:00

Environmental work

483 Views | 46 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Environmental work 2019-10-06 17:49:24


Does anyone else do anything for the environment?


So I started diving at the docks where I live in an attempt to basically train myself for freediving and get in better shape, and quickly noticed how much trash is down there. I started bringing gloves with me and then starting bringing trash up and throwing it on the dock, and I'd take it to the dumpster when I was all finished.


I rigged a container to float on the surface while it's tied to a rope tied to a cinderblock, so /i can carry it around with me and easily reach the bottom, and load the container with the trash I've been finding down there. Basically makes the job easier for me. I dive for trash at least once every day for a half hour.


So basically I found a way to make cleaning up the waters fun for me. I do want to find out a way to make the waters less murky from all the pollution as well, but I don't know much about how to easily do that. I'm sure some sort of nifty filtration device could do it, but I'd like to make something on my own.


Anywah, That's something I've started doing to clean up the seas. Just a small part on my behalf for cleaning the environment.


Has anyone else taken an active role in cleaning up the environment? If so, do tell! I'd love to hear about other people doing something like that. It might also give me or someone else ideas to incorporate into our own lives.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-06 18:16:44


Started gardening this past year, growing my own food, flower garden etc. We've also got four bird-feeders, two bat houses, and are looking into a heated bird bath for the winter.


In general just cleaning up messes/garbage/spills when I see them, not too dissimilar to your diving! Composting and trying not to buy things in single-use plastic. I bike almost exclusively now. Started buying in bulk and storing in mason jars. I'm not sure how much of an impact I can have when it's clearly our systems of production that need structural change, but it's been pretty easy taking a couple extra steps a day to make sure I'm not supporting/rewarding polluters.


Nobody is perfect, I'm not too critical of others, but if we all made some sort of constructive effort it could help turn things around.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-06 18:20:36


I always try to clean anthills when I find them.


"Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world."

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-06 18:37:15


At 10/6/19 06:16 PM, Canas wrote: Started gardening this past year, growing my own food, flower garden etc. We've also got four bird-feeders, two bat houses, and are looking into a heated bird bath for the winter.

In general just cleaning up messes/garbage/spills when I see them, not too dissimilar to your diving! Composting and trying not to buy things in single-use plastic. I bike almost exclusively now. Started buying in bulk and storing in mason jars. I'm not sure how much of an impact I can have when it's clearly our systems of production that need structural change, but it's been pretty easy taking a couple extra steps a day to make sure I'm not supporting/rewarding polluters.

Nobody is perfect, I'm not too critical of others, but if we all made some sort of constructive effort it could help turn things around.


Growing your own food sounds cool! I do wonder if there's a way to convince my captain of having some planter pots on the roof of the boat or something. Maybe I should look up different spice or berry plants to see how much sunlight they'd need and whatnot.

Ooh, bat house, interesting. I can see those being useful in reducing bugs in the area :D


Yeah, it's surprising how easy it is to contribute and how often people either don't or actively contribute to polluting :/

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-06 18:38:27 (edited 2019-10-06 18:39:50)


At 10/6/19 06:20 PM, satanbrain wrote: I always try to clean anthills when I find them.


How so? Like picking up trash or things that fall on them?

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-06 18:40:32


I garden in the summer, can vegetables, compost all year long, reduce/reuse/recycle, plant flowers specifically for butterflies and bees, feed the birds, donate any clothes that I no longer wear so they don't pollute the landfills, pick up trash if I notice it in my neighborhood, walk/ride my bike when the destination is close....I try my best. Save the earth 🌍♻️🌎♻️🌏

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-06 19:31:41


At 10/6/19 06:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: I garden in the summer, can vegetables, compost all year long, reduce/reuse/recycle, plant flowers specifically for butterflies and bees, feed the birds, donate any clothes that I no longer wear so they don't pollute the landfills, pick up trash if I notice it in my neighborhood, walk/ride my bike when the destination is close....I try my best. Save the earth 🌍♻️🌎♻️🌏


'Tis the only one we got, after all.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-06 22:51:50


At 10/6/19 07:31 PM, GreyHooves wrote: 'Tis the only one we got, after all.

haha. nasa said Venus may have once been habitable but turned into a shithole.

we are headed to that direction.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 00:20:02 (edited 2019-10-07 00:20:22)


At 10/6/19 10:51 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 10/6/19 07:31 PM, GreyHooves wrote: 'Tis the only one we got, after all.
haha. nasa said Venus may have once been habitable but turned into a shithole.
we are headed to that direction.


I doubt it was ever habitable. The air pressure at the surface is something like 1,300 psi. That's more than 90 times what it is on Earth at sea level (about 14 psi).

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 01:28:27


At 10/6/19 06:38 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
At 10/6/19 06:20 PM, satanbrain wrote: I always try to clean anthills when I find them.
How so? Like picking up trash or things that fall on them?


By ruining them.


"Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world."

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 08:57:30


I recycle my pipe threading oil.


BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 09:33:31


At 10/7/19 01:28 AM, satanbrain wrote:
At 10/6/19 06:38 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
At 10/6/19 06:20 PM, satanbrain wrote: I always try to clean anthills when I find them.
How so? Like picking up trash or things that fall on them?
By ruining them.


you boot them into a younger siblings face. its a tried and tested technique.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 12:40:17


At 10/7/19 12:20 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/6/19 10:51 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 10/6/19 07:31 PM, GreyHooves wrote: 'Tis the only one we got, after all.
haha. nasa said Venus may have once been habitable but turned into a shithole.
we are headed to that direction.
I doubt it was ever habitable. The air pressure at the surface is something like 1,300 psi. That's more than 90 times what it is on Earth at sea level (about 14 psi).


I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.


We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 12:41:36


iu_60319_5867179.jpgPretty cool garden spotted at the Chicago airport. The structures are made from recycled materials and they use the herbs for some of the foods that the airport serves.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 12:43:27


At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:20 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/6/19 10:51 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 10/6/19 07:31 PM, GreyHooves wrote: 'Tis the only one we got, after all.
haha. nasa said Venus may have once been habitable but turned into a shithole.
we are headed to that direction.
I doubt it was ever habitable. The air pressure at the surface is something like 1,300 psi. That's more than 90 times what it is on Earth at sea level (about 14 psi).
I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.


I only see one instant solution, and people will both be mad at me and think I'm insane for saying it.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 13:00:02


At 10/7/19 12:43 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
I only see one instant solution, and people will both be mad at me and think I'm insane for saying it.


Kill all humans?


I'm on board.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 13:07:28


At 10/7/19 01:00 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:43 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
I only see one instant solution, and people will both be mad at me and think I'm insane for saying it.
Kill all humans?

I'm on board.


Well, not all. Just the undesirables (which is most of the human population).

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 13:11:17


At 10/7/19 01:07 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:00 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:43 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
I only see one instant solution, and people will both be mad at me and think I'm insane for saying it.
Kill all humans?

I'm on board.
Well, not all. Just the undesirables (which is most of the human population).


So, kill all humans without a Newgrounds account. Should also produce positive results.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 13:13:42


At 10/7/19 01:11 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:07 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:00 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:43 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
I only see one instant solution, and people will both be mad at me and think I'm insane for saying it.
Kill all humans?

I'm on board.
Well, not all. Just the undesirables (which is most of the human population).
So, kill all humans without a Newgrounds account. Should also produce positive results.


lol no, some people with Newgrounds accounts are trash, too.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 13:49:08 (edited 2019-10-07 14:03:39)


At 10/7/19 01:07 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:00 PM, DamnedByFate wrote: Kill all humans?

I'm on board.


Old Testament God already did it. Get wrecked scrub.


Selections from: Genesis - Chapter 6:

"The Lord saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time."


"The Lord was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain."


"So the Lord said, 'I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth--men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air--for I am grieved that I have made them.'"


"So God said to Noah, 'I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both man and the earth.'"


Get your shit together.


Well, not all. Just the undesirables (which is most of the human population).


You're too slooow! (But in an Urkel voice though.)

Abraham and God beat yo ass by like 3000 years:


From Genesis - Chapter 18:

"Then the Lord said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great, and their sin so grievous, that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me.'"


"The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.

Then Abraham approached him and said: 'Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked?'"


"What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it?'"


"Far be it from you to do such a thing--to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike." "Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"


"The Lord said, 'If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.'"


Spoiler alert:

iu_60340_4272520.jpg

He didn't.



Sleep so many dream, sugar prince.

لن أريكم مكان صنع عصير الليمون. నిమ్మకాయ లేదు.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 15:37:21


At 10/7/19 01:13 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:11 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:07 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:00 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:43 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
I only see one instant solution, and people will both be mad at me and think I'm insane for saying it.
Kill all humans?

I'm on board.
Well, not all. Just the undesirables (which is most of the human population).
So, kill all humans without a Newgrounds account. Should also produce positive results.
lol no, some people with Newgrounds accounts are trash, too.


Like the one who just quoted the Bible in this thread LOL

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 17:09:38 (edited 2019-10-07 17:12:43)


At 10/7/19 03:37 PM, Kiwi wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:13 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:11 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:07 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:00 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:43 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
I only see one instant solution, and people will both be mad at me and think I'm insane for saying it.
Kill all humans?

I'm on board.
Well, not all. Just the undesirables (which is most of the human population).
So, kill all humans without a Newgrounds account. Should also produce positive results.
lol no, some people with Newgrounds accounts are trash, too.
Like the one who just quoted the Bible in this thread LOL


You don't like posting apocalyptic quotes for fun?

You don't pull out the occasional hellfire speech just for shits and giggles?

Lame.


Or do you actually think I'm ngman style preaching right now?

I thought I was supposed to suck at recognizing exaggeration and hyperbole.

Can't even link me before talkin' shit about me, man? I love talking shit about me. I do it all the time. Lame.

Sleep so many dream, sugar prince.

لن أريكم مكان صنع عصير الليمون. నిమ్మకాయ లేదు.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 18:13:49


At 10/7/19 05:09 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 10/7/19 03:37 PM, Kiwi wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:13 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:11 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:07 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:00 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:43 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
I only see one instant solution, and people will both be mad at me and think I'm insane for saying it.
Kill all humans?

I'm on board.
Well, not all. Just the undesirables (which is most of the human population).
So, kill all humans without a Newgrounds account. Should also produce positive results.
lol no, some people with Newgrounds accounts are trash, too.
Like the one who just quoted the Bible in this thread LOL
You don't like posting apocalyptic quotes for fun?
You don't pull out the occasional hellfire speech just for shits and giggles?
Lame.

Or do you actually think I'm ngman style preaching right now?
I thought I was supposed to suck at recognizing exaggeration and hyperbole.
Can't even link me before talkin' shit about me, man? I love talking shit about me. I do it all the time. Lame.


Lmao no I like you you're fun shut up

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 18:26:26


At 10/7/19 06:13 PM, Kiwi wrote:
At 10/7/19 05:09 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 10/7/19 03:37 PM, Kiwi wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:13 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:11 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:07 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 01:00 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:43 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
I only see one instant solution, and people will both be mad at me and think I'm insane for saying it.
Kill all humans?

I'm on board.
Well, not all. Just the undesirables (which is most of the human population).
So, kill all humans without a Newgrounds account. Should also produce positive results.
lol no, some people with Newgrounds accounts are trash, too.
Like the one who just quoted the Bible in this thread LOL
You don't like posting apocalyptic quotes for fun?
You don't pull out the occasional hellfire speech just for shits and giggles?
Lame.

Or do you actually think I'm ngman style preaching right now?
I thought I was supposed to suck at recognizing exaggeration and hyperbole.
Can't even link me before talkin' shit about me, man? I love talking shit about me. I do it all the time. Lame.
Lmao no I like you you're fun shut up


Hey, calm down you two, there are children present.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 18:57:17 (edited 2019-10-07 18:57:34)


At 10/7/19 06:26 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 06:13 PM, Kiwi wrote:
At 10/7/19 05:09 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
Can't even link me before talkin' shit about me, man? I love talking shit about me. I do it all the time. Lame.
Lmao no I like you you're fun shut up
Hey, calm down you two


No, you calm UP buddy.

You think people are going to walk around with a plastic bag and a pointy stick on their off-time?

Only an old testament style server wipe of the Earth is going to fix this shit.


I'll carry wrappers around all day if I have to.

Wanna know why?

Because O.G Old Testament God will start poppin' caps in our asses again if we keep up this crap.

(There aren't enough garbage cans around public places/sidwalks honestly.)


there are children present.

Where?

Where da chidrin at?

I'll panic yell at them too.

It's good for their bones.

Sleep so many dream, sugar prince.

لن أريكم مكان صنع عصير الليمون. నిమ్మకాయ లేదు.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 19:26:01


At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:20 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/6/19 10:51 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 10/6/19 07:31 PM, GreyHooves wrote: 'Tis the only one we got, after all.
haha. nasa said Venus may have once been habitable but turned into a shithole.
we are headed to that direction.
I doubt it was ever habitable. The air pressure at the surface is something like 1,300 psi. That's more than 90 times what it is on Earth at sea level (about 14 psi).
I think it would be really lovely if some people cared about our planet and the people on it the way they care about finding life on other planets.

We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.


Right? I mean, sure, space travel and colonization and all that might be a cool thing to shoot for, but our priorities as earthlings seem rather off, to put it mildly.

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 19:26:31


At 10/7/19 12:41 PM, Kiwi wrote: Pretty cool garden spotted at the Chicago airport. The structures are made from recycled materials and they use the herbs for some of the foods that the airport serves.


Oh I love that kind of thing :D

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 19:31:34 (edited 2019-10-07 19:41:11)


At 10/7/19 07:26 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
Right? I mean, sure, space travel and colonization and all that might be a cool thing to shoot for, but our priorities as earthlings seem rather off, to put it mildly.


We can't even clean up after ourselves in space unfortunately.

There's so much junk around earth, that any passing alien scrap miners would instantly be our best friends.

We have junk we need to get rid of, and they can't get enough of it.

iu_60400_4272520.jpgiu_60401_4272520.jpg


Just wait until we reach the bottom of the oceans and start building underground.

side note - "Alien scrap miners" sounds like an interesting premise to a movie.

Sleep so many dream, sugar prince.

لن أريكم مكان صنع عصير الليمون. నిమ్మకాయ లేదు.

BBS Signature

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 19:37:05


At 10/7/19 06:57 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 10/7/19 06:26 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/7/19 06:13 PM, Kiwi wrote:
At 10/7/19 05:09 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
Can't even link me before talkin' shit about me, man? I love talking shit about me. I do it all the time. Lame.
Lmao no I like you you're fun shut up
Hey, calm down you two
No, you calm UP buddy.
You think people are going to walk around with a plastic bag and a pointy stick on their off-time?
Only an old testament style server wipe of the Earth is going to fix this shit.

I'll carry wrappers around all day if I have to.
Wanna know why?
Because O.G Old Testament God will start poppin' caps in our asses again if we keep up this crap.
(There aren't enough garbage cans around public places/sidwalks honestly.)

there are children present.
Where?
Where da chidrin at?
I'll panic yell at them too.
It's good for their bones.


I personally think that, while well-intentioned, small things like that really won't make much if any difference. I think that the really big difference makers will come from individuals who come up with ideas or inventions designed to specifically take care of the problems of pollution, and I have doubts as to whether people motivated by profit would be able to contribute meaningfully. I'm personally focused on the oceans right now, and I'd like to develop a filtration system to remove the pollutants within it, but my current knowledge on filters and whatnot is too lacking to develop something right now :/


So I'll have to settle for removing the big pieces of trash by hand at the moment while studying up

Response to Environmental work 2019-10-07 19:42:49


At 10/7/19 07:31 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 10/7/19 07:26 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
At 10/7/19 12:40 PM, Kiwi wrote: We can't even take care of the life on our damn planet.
Right? I mean, sure, space travel and colonization and all that might be a cool thing to shoot for, but our priorities as earthlings seem rather off, to put it mildly.
We can't even clean up after ourselves in space unfortunately.
There's so much junk around earth, that any passing alien scrap miners would instantly be our best friends.

Just wait until we reach the bottom of the oceans and start building underground.
side note - "Alien scrap miners" sounds like an interesting premise to a movie.


Welp, just another task to put on the docket then. Orbital space junk cleanup.


Hmm... Well, I am a diver, and I AM highly interested in underwater and floating cities/communities, but I'd like to think that that point is reached we'd have less polluting methods of construction >.>