00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Making Music with Free Instruments

705 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is not an advertisement thread, it was written as a tutorial.

Could you create professional music with only free software? Months ago I fought with somebody on this forum about that, but I came to the realization that until I could prove my points, there was no way to show it. Last night, I spent a couple of hours to create two tracks, both cinematic, both made under FL Studio 20 Demo. One was created entirely with free plugins, the other was created all with free Kontakt instruments. Both were created with professional aims of production.

Midnight Drive is a cinematic synthwave track that was created on Windows 10 under FL Studio Demo, with free synths like Dexed, and instruments from Komplete Start and Spitfire Labs. List of instruments used:

Dexed https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

VK-1 Viking https://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer/

Spitfire Labs - Soft Piano, Strings https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs

Komplete Start - Analog Dream, Factory Selection https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-start/

Sonatina Orchestra https://vstbuzz.com/freebies/sonatina-symphonic-orchestra/

Dragonfly Reverb https://michaelwillis.github.io/dragonfly-reverb/

Random Orchestral Piece is a short epic orchestra work that was created on Ubuntu 18.04 under FL Studio Demo, with free Kontakt instruments, with the exception of Full Kontakt instead of Player. List of Kontakt instruments used:

ProjectSAM - The Free Orchestra - Short Strings, Bombastic Basses, Power Strike, Heroic Horns, Sordino Violins

Palette Primary Colors

Performance Samples - Angry Brass, Con Moto Violins Legacy

Embertone - Intimate Strings Lite

Ivy Audio - Clare Solo

Another note, I used catchy chord progressions and melodies as additional demonstration how easy was it to compose with these free instruments.

Since my first day on NG, I have always been assured with people that tools don't matter, it's all about you. There is no barrier but yourselves. I have no gifted bullshit, I'm a high school dropout who never went to any music class. If I could make music with free instruments, then you could too. You don't need those expensive instruments.

Thoughts?

Response to Making Music with Free Instruments 2019-10-05 12:44:03

You know my thoughts on this full well:

1. Yes, you can. Nightfall, which only used FL defaults (Sytrus, and even that was for light touches) and soundfonts, got played on BBC Radio Lancashire.
  2. Yes, you can.
  3. Why are we having this discussion?

My outlook on this is the same as yours and @Samulis': recently I saw him post something where he lamented humanity's descent into batshit insanity for saying "oh it's the gear" or "oh it's the plugins". Your plugins and gear barely, if at all, make the music. Yes, I'm aware I recorded some things live but a bit of humanisation and mixing / mastering know-how and you can do just the same.

Heck, my PC is still broken, I'm relying on an external screen, and even after having won VSCO2 I also still use soundfonts. If you can do cracking things with the instruments / plugins that have little regard, that earns more respect as a composer and producer IMHO.

Response to Making Music with Free Instruments 2019-10-05 13:15:48

At 10/5/19 12:44 PM, Troisnyx wrote: You know my thoughts on this full well:

My outlook on this is the same as yours and @Samulis': recently I saw him post something where he lamented humanity's descent into batshit insanity for saying "oh it's the gear" or "oh it's the plugins". Your plugins and gear barely, if at all, make the music. Yes, I'm aware I recorded some things live but a bit of humanisation and mixing / mastering know-how and you can do just the same.

Heck, my PC is still broken, I'm relying on an external screen, and even after having won VSCO2 I also still use soundfonts. If you can do cracking things with the instruments / plugins that have little regard, that earns more respect as a composer and producer IMHO.

Very well said. Thank you for your words! :)

Response to Making Music with Free Instruments 2019-10-06 10:00:14

At 10/5/19 06:49 PM, MistyWaterflower wrote: I use expensive plugins and I can still barely get my music to sound how I want, not to mention using free stuff that doesn't work well. Don't get me wrong, their useless if you don't know how to use them. I guess it also depends on what genre you're making.

Genre don't really matter because with tools like Komplete Start it was designed for multi styles. Andrew Huang did a video on it that he made only with Komplete Start. That video was what inspired me to transition to free tools.

The skill gap would still be the same with free tools or paid. To use a tool well you should learn how it work and how to use it in ways that you can bend those rules.

Response to Making Music with Free Instruments 2019-10-06 17:25:07

At 10/6/19 11:48 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/6/19 10:00 AM, Bonnot wrote:
At 10/5/19 06:49 PM, MistyWaterflower wrote: I use expensive plugins and I can still barely get my music to sound how I want, not to mention using free stuff that doesn't work well. Don't get me wrong, their useless if you don't know how to use them. I guess it also depends on what genre you're making.
Genre don't really matter because with tools like Komplete Start it was designed for multi styles. Andrew Huang did a video on it that he made only with Komplete Start. That video was what inspired me to transition to free tools.

The skill gap would still be the same with free tools or paid. To use a tool well you should learn how it work and how to use it in ways that you can bend those rules.
Yes, you hit the nail on the head. It's not all about the tools you have. It's more what you do with them.

Yup. I've seen kids who have Omnisphere and Serum, yet still cannot make decent music. It's never about the tools.

Maybe 10 years ago, free tools were rare and such, but @Troisnyx stuff have been around for long time and she never bought anything beside FL Studio. All her stuff were free. @JessieYun also use mostly free stuff and she made Two Steps From Hell level of work.