00:00
00:00

September Happenings & Updates

3,861 Views | 31 Replies
Respond to this Topic

September is nearing an end and I gotta say, we’ve seen a lot of great stuff this month! We’ve had a run of stellar original animation, culminating with @Jaime-R’s You Lovely Lovers this week:

Jaime is one of my favorite animators of all time because his work delivers a true sense of wonder, like it comes from beyond the bounds of known reality. He was previously best known for A Prank Time, which is why those birds may look familiar:

Another person who has always blown my mind is the brilliant @Nutcasenightmare, responsible for classics like :the game:, Nothing to Hide, Coming Out Sim and We Become What We Behold. Their latest is Adventures With Anxiety, where you play the role of anxiety. I love this one because it makes you aware of your own brand of anxious thinking:

The Art Portal continues to impress with an endless flow of talent; here’s what has been featured so far this month, ranked by score. The top-rated piece at the moment was made for Madness Day:

Speaking of Madness Day, we celebrated it this past Sunday! The turnout was strong this year and I assume it’s gonna stay that way for years to come, with Project Nexus around the corner. Be sure to add PN to your Steam wishlist!

We’ll be featuring Madness Day music entries on the front page soon but you should also check out my September Music Playlist. This list is still in progress and I’ve been loving a lot of songs this month; I hope you love them too! It should be good to listen to while working. Some samples (click the thumbnail and they can play in-page here):

In terms of site updates, we had an issue this month where an artist deleted their account and it orphaned everyone they had scouted, which branched out to the people they scouted, ultimately de-scouting nearly 2,500 people. We re-scouted those users and made changes so that won’t happen again. In the process, your personal Scout list got updated to be mobile friendly, utilize ratings filters and load as you go, so prolific scouters won’t attempt to load 1k+ artists all at once. Here’s IvanAlmighty’s Scout list as an example.

We’ve made updates to forum and blog posting forms to reduce the chance of losing your work, after @ninjamuffin99 was the 99th person to lose their shit figuratively and literally. Now if you’re writing a forum reply and accidentally close the box or leave the page, re-open it and your text should still be there (we also added a “Are you sure?” prompt as well and some bugs are getting sorted with things going prompt-crazy).

The project system update looms ever closer. As soon as it launches, the next step will be to integrate the Art Portal submission process and finally introduce co-authoring for art. We’re hoping this will be relatively quick and painless since Art publishing was modernized earlier this year.

Fingers crossed that we’ll manage to bring PMs and the Wiki to the modern NG layout before year’s end, at which point we’ll be down to a very small list of pages that remain on the old layout.

If you’ve been enjoying the changes and happenings around NG this year, your Support would be greatly appreciated! It’s just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you get perks including ad-free browsing and you help keep the lights on. Existing supporters are the reason NG is still here but we need more people to come aboard for the long-haul. Even if you can’t support NG at the moment, thank you for coming here and reading this in the first place!

October marks the beginning of our annual Halloween Spooktacular, along with events like Inktober and Octobit. We’re offering prizes for the best spooky animation, games, music, art and stories!

On a personal note, I've been having regular nerve pain + back spasms this month and all your great contributions are keeping me from giving in to sadness.

I'll leave you with the latest @GroundsPatrol and @ACoupleOfCrickets, two NG-themed podcasts:

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 15:04:41

At 9/26/19 02:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: We’ve made updates to forum and blog posting forms to reduce the chance of losing your work, after @ninjamuffin99 was the 99th person to lose their shit figuratively and literally. Now if you’re writing a forum reply and accidentally close the box or leave the page, re-open it and your text should still be there (we might be adding a “Are you sure?” prompt as well, like we have for leaving the page where you write a new blog post).

We out here. Finally Newgrounds is good.

VERY looking forward to project system updates, as well as other misc. updates coming out here and there. Also I love Nicky Case what an inspiration.

RIP STATICSKULL NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 15:12:44

Cool, cool, cool, cool, not losing text is amazing !!

Inktober is always fun !!

SPOOKY-OOKY WRITING CONTEST WILL BE A BLAST

(I'm so gosh darn excited ^^)

Please support Newgrounds, everyone! I got a raise at my job and I'm hoping to support Newgrounds's creators in every way I can (hopefully through commissions and contests.) This is such an easy place to collaborate, and I hope to explore that avenue in the future coming months :)

Respectfully unaware since <<insert date of birth here>>

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 15:19:17

@TomFulp

I'm loving the content on here lately. Really feels like a second wind and I hope it continues. You've been kicking ass on the development front and I'm super excited to see what changes are coming!

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 15:59:19

Keep at it Tom! Been waiting for this art update for awhile!

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 16:04:53

Oh yikes, that huge prune must had been a pain to deal with.

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 16:19:23

At 9/26/19 03:59 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Keep at it Tom! Been waiting for this art update for awhile!

i still wanted animated user icons. Even if just for me. OMG i love animation so much.

None

Jamie-R animation reminds me of like Leonardo da Vinci Style but animated. Very well done.

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 19:01:26

Note: Newgrounds User's Art Scouts List Are Now Updated To Mobile Friendly!

gooad!

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 21:20:35

At 9/26/19 04:19 PM, Luis wrote:
At 9/26/19 03:59 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Keep at it Tom! Been waiting for this art update for awhile!
i still wanted animated user icons. Even if just for me. OMG i love animation so much.

alright now that we got news post writing persistence or whatever, this is gon be the next thing i beg for

RIP STATICSKULL NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 22:19:24

I love Jaime's animations as well. So well animated and so damn bizarre, but it's hard to look away from. This month has been pretty awesome, although it sucks to hear you're still dealing with those horrible back pains :(

Hope you get better!

BBS Signature

Looking forward to new site updates and of course Spooktacular. Always a good time.

Just tested the forum post update, and while it did save the above text, it also asked me if I was sure 3 times when trying to reopen the reply window lol. "Yes, NG, I'm quite sure I want to reply to this post."

I hope your back gets better soon, Tom. Congrats on being officially old.

Edit: And it asked me if I was sure when I clicked submit as well.

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 22:55:22

You know Tom, I just gotta say thank you. Thank you for still being here and taking care of us after over 20 years. Thank you for always doing your best to be as interactive as possible with the community. You're a pretty nice dude, Tom.

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-26 23:57:49

Nice! These updates are sounding nifty af. <3

Windmill Windmill for the land

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-27 00:44:16

Thanks for adding my track (Dewtain Mount) to the playlist!

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-27 06:24:09

Hey Tom, sorry to hear about your recent pain spasms. I hope it's not getting in the way of your work (although on the other hand I hope you're not forced to work too much anyway).

These are some strong submissions...I just checked out Jaime's animation and I thought it was stunning. Personally very happy to continue chipping in a few bucks to support Newgrounds on a monthly basis. I enjoy checking this place and posting from time to time.

Take care.

BBS Signature

At 9/26/19 02:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: Here’s IvanAlmighty’s Scout list as an example.

This is really cool, but shame about all the artists lower down on a few hundred + scout list... nobody's going to have the patience to go that far now. Pagination *hint hint* it's good stuff. I think it'll come back with a vengeance in a few years.

We’ve made updates to forum and blog posting forms

Awesome. And awesome pretty much everything else in this post too except the nerve pain and back-spasms! Hope you somehow manage to circumvent such uncomfortable physiological oddities even without the ever so artful helpful NG inspiration stream!

Hyped for Inktober too. Feels like the best time of the year for art. Great way to stay creative.

Check out the NRC / Hexa #55 (Oct)

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-27 09:01:58

At 9/26/19 02:52 PM, TomFulp wrote:
(...)your personal Scout list got updated to be mobile friendly, utilize ratings filters and load as you go, so prolific scouters won’t attempt to load 1k+ artists all at once(...).

We’ve made updates to forum and blog posting forms to reduce the chance of losing your work, after @ninjamuffin99 was the 99th person to lose their shit figuratively and literally. Now if you’re writing a forum reply and accidentally close the box or leave the page, re-open it and your text should still be there(...).

The project system update looms ever closer. As soon as it launches, the next step will be to integrate the Art Portal submission process and finally introduce co-authoring for art. We’re hoping this will be relatively quick and painless since Art publishing was modernized earlier this year.

Fingers crossed that we’ll manage to bring PMs and the Wiki to the modern NG layout before year’s end, at which point we’ll be down to a very small list of pages that remain on the old layout.

HOLY FUCK I LOVE YOU TOM

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-27 10:52:14

Tom, seriously, you should see a doctor about that. We don't want you to be hurt! :(

Inspiring post otherwise, there really has been a lot of awesome stuff and the post click-away prompt is soooo nice. The problem now is that it activates whenever you click on a mood or want to close the mood selection and it doesn't actually show you which mood you've selected until you exit that.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-27 20:17:22

Nerve pain and back spasms sounds bad, get yourself checked son :(

Good.

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-27 23:57:49

At 9/26/19 10:55 PM, HavryloThePigeon wrote: You know Tom, I just gotta say thank you. Thank you for still being here and taking care of us after over 20 years. Thank you for always doing your best to be as interactive as possible with the community. You're a pretty nice dude, Tom.

This! I always said you were the Best Tom, and you still are. No contest. SOMEONE FIGHT ME

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-28 00:20:02

Thanks for the updates.

£5 man slut for hire. Inquire within

Wi/Ht? #45

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-28 10:36:15

Sad to hear you're still dealing with your backpains Tom, I hope it'll go away soon! The updates are neato, thank you everyone who's working on the site.

BBS Signature

You were talking about an artist who deleted their account and got a bunch of accounts unscouted. I don't have to worry about this (having been approved by audio moderators back in the day), but I'd like to know: could the same thing happen to those who upload audio?

Also, about the back pain... did you pull something lifting heavy stuff?

I did once. My solution was to go to a playground and hang off the monkeybars. I used momentum to stretch my back until I heard (and felt) the pop. There was a moment of intense pain, but then, within seconds, all my pain was gone. If you pulled your back, this may be a solution, but best ask a doctor first.

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-29 03:30:15

I see around the site occasionally that if there 2750 active supporters, NG won't have ads for anything not-adult and I'm wondering if that's like at any point (like in October we reach that number and then dip) or if it's for ppl that renew subscription until the end of the year

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-29 03:53:23

Thank you Tom and staff for taking care of the artists. Congrats to everyone featured here today.

Doubt is part of the creative process.

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-29 18:34:14

At 9/29/19 06:20 PM, gostboy wrote: THIS GUY M-Bot is delete my picture art that i'm allow for and i can't message him. can someone ask him stop it an i'm not steal teh picture or else i'm have to kill him?

It's because you are submitting stolen artwork. The artist has contacted us and requested his work removed. You are a fraud. Continued submission of rule-breaking content will be dealt with accordingly. Go draw or create something 100% your own and M-Bot will not have any need to deal with you. You might even enjoy your newfound hobby.

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-29 18:59:09

At 9/29/19 06:35 PM, gostboy wrote:
At 9/29/19 06:34 PM, Exedor wrote:
At 9/29/19 06:20 PM, gostboy wrote: THIS GUY M-Bot is delete my picture art that i'm allow for and i can't message him. can someone ask him stop it an i'm not steal teh picture or else i'm have to kill him?
It's because you are submitting stolen artwork. The artist has contacted us and requested his work removed. You are a fraud. Continued submission of rule-breaking content will be dealt with accordingly. Go draw or create something 100% your own and M-Bot will not have any need to deal with you. You might even enjoy your newfound hobby.
i did no sut thing and he have no proof of it.

iu_58416_1094947.jpg

Just want to make sure this gets addressed- when I check on B/P and Voting Ranks, I have to look up that list of information on a different website- it seems strange that the rank icon information isn't here. I hope this gets accounted for in the update when the wiki is modernized.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to September Happenings & Updates 2019-09-30 05:31:20

At 9/30/19 12:38 AM, Phobotech wrote: Just want to make sure this gets addressed- when I check on B/P and Voting Ranks, I have to look up that list of information on a different website- it seems strange that the rank icon information isn't here. I hope this gets accounted for in the update when the wiki is modernized.

That really would be neat. Old design had a pretty cool list of levels, built-in aura swapping and all. Similar things for everything = great incentive to really get involved I think! Gamificiation aspects of this place really aren't maximized at the moment.

Check out the NRC / Hexa #55 (Oct)

BBS Signature