00:00
00:00

Your biggest stumbling block?

449 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What stops you from getting a lot of pieces done?

For me, it's not a creative block (though I do run into that once in a while). My biggest issue is that I get ideas and take on too many projects at once. Then I kinda lose interest in them once I've started. Thank you, ADHD and autism.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-22 18:50:12

I've been trying to determine what it has been for a while. There's many short snippets of "concepts" but no full songs I have made. Perhaps it's the idea of challenge to create these concepts, instead of the challenge to create a full song. Gratification comes into play here, and especially the time it takes to achieve the gratification. Creating short snippets and calling them achievements (quantity, in my opinion) takes much less time than creating a full song.

Just figured an obvious compromise. Using the short gratification of creating snippets and plugging them into each other with a certain taste....kind of....as if creating a full s-

Overthinking this. Thanks doc, we got really far this session.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-22 19:49:17

Honestly, what you have said is pretty much the same here. I have too many projects going at once, and the lesser projects are the ones I lose interest in even uploading. Also, the whole "block" that I get once in while hurts, but I have to get through it by making a new song (kind of defeats the point, but sometimes you have to). Usually, a song contest would get me out of a certain funk that I may randomly get in, but that is not always the case.

I usually get a musician's block when I have used the same thing over and over again. Usually, it is because I fear people will either think I am losing originality or will not like my sound design (could be both). Honestly, the worst blocks are when I create so many projects at once. As I am typing this, I have 4+ projects going on at once, and I only plan to actually upload one or two within the next two weeks.

Another thing that puts me in a big panic is trying to make big projects in short periods of time. We have all been there, haven't we? I can name a few examples of where this can happen. How about, NGADM and NGUAC? My first time doing either of these was a big panic attack waiting to happen.

One way I try to get out of a musician's block really quickly is to just create a random song and just put it out there. I don't mean completely random, but it should still sound like an actual song. It is fun to create a song just from a random idea.

BBS Signature

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-22 20:36:35

Not enough time.

Over the years I've developed workflows and techniques that could minimize the time I spent on a project. But none of that really worked because I'd never have enough time to finish them. So I overcame with new method. Started in January, I stop saving projects, and finish entire works, all in one go. No blooper, no re-edit, all must be done within a night or given amount of time.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-23 03:08:18

Biggest block? D E P R E S S I O N. I've a feeling that I've got such a heavy case of anhedonia I can't even feel the music I make or listen to anymore. Sometimes nowadays I basically compose based on what would've gotten a reaction out of me years ago. So far I guess it's worked, but being a musician that writes his shit out of feel and jamming, its incredibly difficult for me to keep anything I come up with and save it for a future song. It also saps inspiration, I could watch or read something cool that could definitely be a song but the ideas just won't come, even if I try to force them to. I swear man, depression is an even worse mind killer than fear.

At 9/22/19 07:49 PM, JordanKyser wrote: I usually get a musician's block when I have used the same thing over and over again. Usually, it is because I fear people will either think I am losing originality or will not like my sound design (could be both).

This so fucking much holy shit. Alot, probably all my stuff relies on I-VI-VII progressions in E minor or C major, and every time I try to write something new I end up using those progressions or some variation of them, and it makes me feel nervous as fuck because it makes me think that there are musicians or good listeners out there that can tell I'm not using anything else and that scares me. Its also a huge block because those progressions are my favorite thing EVER in music and I can't picture my shit without them.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-23 19:24:16

My biggest problem is something I don't know how to explain or even fully understand. I have the inspiration, the motivation, the structural ideas, the workflow and pretty much everything else on lockdown... until I actually open the DAW and suddenly it's like my entire brain gets unplugged and I stare at the blank project doing nothing for an hour, then it takes sometimes upwards of three days to come back from the resulting bad mood.

I've had a lot of time to think about what might be causing this lately since I've been stuck in that place for nearly two months now. One possibility is that it could be related to be less than rudimentary knowledge of music theory, making the process of starting a new song a LOT of guesswork. Maybe it's because I don't have any actual instruments to play and just experiment with, forcing a more technical approach over the fluid approach I prefer with most things. Maybe it's just very extreme procrastination.

Whatever it is, I hate it especially because it makes no sense. Every other kind of block I've run into could be solved by just powering through it and getting some momentum going again, but with this, I have everything I need to do that and it just doesn't work. Adding insult to injury, my story writing is at an all time high which makes me feel like I can only have one or the other.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-23 19:37:37

At 9/23/19 07:24 PM, Kerosyn wrote:

I have an idea for you if that's your issue. After some searching, there are some applications that can somewhat convert audio to midi. If you are good enough at humming your tunes and get a little more music theory knowledge under your belt, you could get somewhere with your projects in little time. I have no need for these for more than one reason. I can usually pick out what most of my notes are just hearing them in my head, and I already know that anything that does come to me is always C Minor (not sure why, though). I do hum the tunes into my phone using a voice recorder app (I'm usually in a state of hallucinations when melodies come to me), but I don't need an application to transcribe stuff (I have needed it in the past, but I've trained my ears).

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-24 23:46:35

At 9/22/19 02:15 PM, Wookums wrote: What stops you from getting a lot of pieces done?
For me, it's not a creative block (though I do run into that once in a while). My biggest issue is that I get ideas and take on too many projects at once. Then I kinda lose interest in them once I've started. Thank you, ADHD and autism.

Me. Literally me. I have had probably 1500 projects over the years I quit, deleted, never finished or just thought were shit. Now bare in mind I have gigged and toured, had radio play, been paid thousands for games. Yet, here I am. Still a pauper.

I am my own worst critic, by a country mile. Any criticism off here is either a kid being a dick, abusive or constructive. The latter being the rarest and even then most of it is bullshit. So I bat my own ball.

I generally know what works, I generally know how to record and mix. The amount of pure average shite I make far outweighs my pearlers.

If you like my music leave a review, message me for a review. My music's free to use just credit me!

BBS Signature

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-25 06:31:36

Other people usually - Who end up not doing anything/pulling their own weight in the end.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-27 06:03:22

I often try to "prepare" things adjacent to my goal and then never actually go after the goal. I always come up with an excuse as to why I simply just cant write music right now. My newest reason is that I should have a way of writing down my ideas, but then I dont know if I should do it as notations (but then youll have to read it) in a cheater tab sort of thing (but then how do you write down rhythm and grooves?), if I should record myself (but then have to relearn everything by ear). or a combination of these methods (but that would take forever).

I know its not productive, but Im so darn good at preparing things and never executing them. It really sucks to be a box full of ideas thatll never open.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-27 18:10:14

I think mine has to be the lack of confidence sometimes. When I finish my pieces, I feel as if they lack something and I end up put aside because of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-27 18:14:51

At 9/27/19 06:10 PM, Myst1cLuna wrote: I think mine has to be the lack of confidence sometimes. When I finish my pieces, I feel as if they lack something and I end up put aside because of it.

While it is good to be humble, don't underestimate your capabilities. Be aware that while you may not know everything now, there's always more to learn. That alone can be your motivation. Learn and improve.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-29 00:08:38

I think I've come to a point where I no longer worry about the lack of creativity since experience can help you push through some of the lack of content you may find you'll have with a song.

I do want to point to a website that I posted in the NGADM discord:

https://www.edmprod.com/production-pyramid/

If you find yourself having trouble during any step of the music production phases, I suggest you to read up on some of the topics introduced, and practice in the areas you feel you are weak in.

I think for myself, the hardest thing I used to have trouble with was coming up with a melody when I finished working on mainly the chorus, and reading this guide, I realized that the melody is one of the first things you should work on in a song.

Here's why:

You crafted a beautiful sounding bass-line, and you have all the other parts working together. A melody should come simple right? No. It doesn't, and I've had to stop songs because I didn't come up with a good melody that could fit the song. Once you develop your statement with the melody first, everything else comes pretty easy from developing the bass-line, to the rhythm that the song is going to follow.

All of the processes are mechanical, but it does help quite a bit with the workflow and seeing how some artist can come up with great melodies on the fly versus the artist that struggle for months to come up with a few good songs per year.

That my suggestion.

BBS Signature

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-29 00:11:01

I'm a lil' bitch that needs to work harder and not flip out.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-29 11:22:14

Simply getting started and not fretting too hard over the final product. Procrastination is another massive hurdle.

[1] - [2] - [3]

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-29 12:58:42

The ringing in my ears...

It tells me everything about everyone...

At least its not... Symbiotic 🙃😅

BBS Signature

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-09-29 13:06:28

At 9/29/19 11:22 AM, Nabella wrote: Procrastination is another massive hurdle.

I've heard it said that procrastination is a lot like masturbation.

Either way, you fuck yourself.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-10-07 21:57:53

Every since I started learning theory my progress on music has been pretty slow. I don't attempt to "go with the flow" as much anymore these days and always try to fit everything into what I've learned so far in theory. I can happily say I am starting to break free from that block I seem to have which feels pretty good.

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-10-07 22:07:32

At 10/7/19 09:57 PM, Gage wrote: Every since I started learning theory my progress on music has been pretty slow. I don't attempt to "go with the flow" as much anymore these days and always try to fit everything into what I've learned so far in theory. I can happily say I am starting to break free from that block I seem to have which feels pretty good.

Huh.

Learning music theory sped up my progress in the beginning. BUT my work was total shit.

It really is best to use your ears. These days I mainly use theory to build on what I already have. Also to find a wrong note on the piano roll when I hear it (it's a common occurrence when I manually transpose a section I initially wrote in a different key from the rest of the project).

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-10-08 08:38:51

My two biggest killers is I work on to many projects at once then burn out after hitting a creative block tis a deadly kryptonite imo xD always just gave up n lost interest until my stubbornness wins in the end

My inability to properly create "energetic" tracks. I can make something fast in tempo, but I tend to overproduce it until things overlap and it's just creating noise among the different parts. When I slow down and cut things down to the basics I get a much better sound, but the end result always sounds better slowed down to me.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-10-12 11:59:54

At 9/22/19 02:15 PM, OrangeTheory wrote: What stops you from getting a lot of pieces done?

Feel you on the ADHD. I typically start a project and about halfway through I cant think of any ideas. When I have exhausted everything I can do for that day, I take a nap or go to sleep for the night and then listen to it first thing in the morning to perhaps generate fresh ideas. Stepping away for a bit tends to help me. If that doesn't work, I throw everything I can at it until something sticks. Trust me when I tell you, you are not alone in this regard.

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-10-12 14:38:30

At 10/12/19 05:03 AM, VulpesHilarianus wrote: My inability to properly create "energetic" tracks. I can make something fast in tempo, but I tend to overproduce it until things overlap and it's just creating noise among the different parts. When I slow down and cut things down to the basics I get a much better sound, but the end result always sounds better slowed down to me.

Instead of working with tempo-based tracks, try work more on melodic parts.

Trying to predict how a song will be recieved. I'll be all the way through the production of a song or loop, and if it doesn't feel like something somone wants I'll be hesitant to submit it. Then I'll show it to people and they'll be like "cool" , and then I'll submit it to newgrounds then sometimes it will get a mysterious blam. I'm trying to be a clarvoiyant that pleases everyone with my music instead of just having a good time with making it. After all, I just make music for fun.

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Zero Level

BBS Signature

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-10-16 23:18:04

At 10/15/19 11:46 PM, Syntrus wrote: Trying to predict how a song will be recieved. I'll be all the way through the production of a song or loop, and if it doesn't feel like something somone wants I'll be hesitant to submit it. Then I'll show it to people and they'll be like "cool" , and then I'll submit it to newgrounds then sometimes it will get a mysterious blam. I'm trying to be a clarvoiyant that pleases everyone with my music instead of just having a good time with making it. After all, I just make music for fun.

Bro, you have been here longer than me. Why do you care about votes or reception? We aren't here to impress anyone. I know you do good work, I'm sure you welcome my feedback whether good or bad.

You do you. To hell with anyone else. That is what I've done for a decade. Blams and 0 bombs mean jack. I like reviews.

If you find yourself second guessing a track ask yourself, am I doing this to impress others? If you answer yes, drop it. Impress yourself first.

If you like my music leave a review, message me for a review. My music's free to use just credit me!

BBS Signature

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-10-16 23:53:40

Bro, you have been here longer than me. Why do you care about votes or reception? We aren't here to impress anyone. I know you do good work, I'm sure you welcome my feedback whether good or bad.

I absolutely do @pittbulljones

You do you. To hell with anyone else. That is what I've done for a decade. Blams and 0 bombs mean jack. I like reviews.

I like reviews too I'll keep that in mind.

If you find yourself second guessing a track ask yourself, am I doing this to impress others? If you answer yes, drop it. Impress yourself first.

Good advice thanks.

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Zero Level

BBS Signature

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-10-17 04:27:52

overdoing stuff,,ill fuck with it until its a mess lol need to stick to the KISS principle

Response to Your biggest stumbling block? 2019-10-18 12:06:46

At 10/17/19 04:27 AM, Soundslave wrote: overdoing stuff,,ill fuck with it until its a mess lol need to stick to the KISS principle

omg this.