00:00
00:00

Pimps Quest 2 Techdemo is now live!

428 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

After 17 years Pimps Quest is finally getting a sequel! 

For those of you unaware, Pimps Quest was one of the quintessential OG Newgrounds flash games made in 2002 by its creator Ben Spurgin. You can still play the original here 

Sadly Ben passed away in late 2009 when he relapsed and died of a heron overdose. He is forever immortalized on Newgrounds with his own page dedicated to him and his work. https://www.newgrounds.com/collection/stickslayer

Ben was working on a Pimps Quest 2 however it never got finished, he was even working on a Pimps Quest Online game which had a closed beta but the only evidence of it now is a NG bbs posts. From the mid 2000’s

About the game:

Pimps Quest 2 is not a direct sequel, instead it set 17 years after the events of the original Pimps Quest. The story is outlined and script is mostly written and currently I am in the phase of tying them together through puzzles/events.

With this announcement I have released a small tech demo to show that this game announcement has legs. I have made a “vertical slice” of gameplay to demo everything I want to do with a full Pimps Quest game. Including puzzle solving, NPC dialog, cutscenes, shootouts, Newgrounds api integration and much more. Oh and the whole thing works on mobile. 

This game was originally going to be a remake of the original however there was too many things I wanted to change/fix so I decided to stick my flag in the ground and continue the adventures of Hooch Pandersnatch. The tech demo is styled off the original (an artifact of it originally being a remake) but with lots of new features, my goal is to make it feel like the original but a bit smoother, a bit deeper and most importantly. Fun.

I am treating this game like a “first party” Newgrounds game, this means it will be sitelocked to NG, fully integrated with Newgrounds.io api including medals and maybe scoreboards and using music solely sourced from the Audio portal.

This game is not for profit, it will be put up for free with no ads, no in game monetization and no fundraising (Tom Fulp also said he can disable ads on the final product page). 

I will open source a version of the game engine (Phaser 3 with many helper functions for multi room puzzle/point n’ click games) in the future.

All the programming and art has been done by me, it’s programmed in ES6 JS using the Phaser 3 engine, the art has been made using SVG drawing tools (Sketch, Figma) to emulate the original games style. I wanted to build this on Wick in time for the Wick game jam but I found it too difficult and slow (I have lots of experience with Phaser CE and 3). I may still use Wick to make cutscenes when it allows me to export MP4 movies.

You like what I am doing? Feel free to leave a comment on this post!

The game currently doesn’t have a release date, my only personal goal for this game is to get it on the front page like the original. 

The game has many unfinished sections due to sickness in my family (I am hooked up to an IV in a Chinese hospital as I write this post) and was hoping to have more fleshed our mechanics and voice acting, however the more time I spend on the tech demo the less time I have for the full release sequel.

Response to Pimps Quest 2 Techdemo is now live! 2019-09-08 06:57:48

Get well soon and thanks for the new pimp's quest, i used to enjoy playing it as a child

Response to Pimps Quest 2 Techdemo is now live! 2019-09-09 02:24:05

At 9/8/19 06:22 AM, Jamessimo wrote: //www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/738052

For those of you unaware, Pimps Quest was one of the quintessential OG Newgrounds flash games made in 2002 by its creator Ben Spurgin. You can still play the original here 

Sadly Ben passed away in late 2009 when he relapsed and died of a heron overdose. He is forever immortalized on Newgrounds with his own page dedicated to him and his work. https://www.newgrounds.com/collection/stickslayer

Ben was working on a Pimps Quest 2 however it never got finished, he was even working on a Pimps Quest Online game which had a closed beta but the only evidence of it now is a NG bbs posts. From the mid 2000’s

About the game:

Pimps Quest 2 is not a direct sequel, instead it set 17 years after the events of the original Pimps Quest. The story is outlined and script is mostly written and currently I am in the phase of tying them together through puzzles/events.

With this announcement I have released a small tech demo to show that this game announcement has legs. I have made a “vertical slice” of gameplay to demo everything I want to do with a full Pimps Quest game. Including puzzle solving, NPC dialog, cutscenes, shootouts, Newgrounds api integration and much more. Oh and the whole thing works on mobile. 

This game was originally going to be a remake of the original however there was too many things I wanted to change/fix so I decided to stick my flag in the ground and continue the adventures of Hooch Pandersnatch. The tech demo is styled off the original (an artifact of it originally being a remake) but with lots of new features, my goal is to make it feel like the original but a bit smoother, a bit deeper and most importantly. Fun.

I am treating this game like a “first party” Newgrounds game, this means it will be sitelocked to NG, fully integrated with Newgrounds.io api including medals and maybe scoreboards and using music solely sourced from the Audio portal.

This game is not for profit, it will be put up for free with no ads, no in game monetization and no fundraising (Tom Fulp also said he can disable ads on the final product page). 

I will open source a version of the game engine (Phaser 3 with many helper functions for multi room puzzle/point n’ click games) in the future.

All the programming and art has been done by me, it’s programmed in ES6 JS using the Phaser 3 engine, the art has been made using SVG drawing tools (Sketch, Figma) to emulate the original games style. I wanted to build this on Wick in time for the Wick game jam but I found it too difficult and slow (I have lots of experience with Phaser CE and 3). I may still use Wick to make cutscenes when it allows me to export MP4 movies.

The game currently doesn’t have a release date, my only personal goal for this game is to get it on the front page like the original. 

The game has many unfinished sections due to sickness in my family (I am hooked up to an IV in a Chinese hospital as I write this post) and was hoping to have more fleshed our mechanics and voice acting, however the more time I spend on the tech demo the less time I have for the full release sequel.

Am I really the only one who thinks this feels like a blatant attempt to use someone else's work to boost this guy's popularity? This isn't a collaboration of OG newgrounds developers working to create a memorial to this guy, this is your attempt to take his idea to make your own game, then use people's sense of nostalgia to convince people to rate it higher and play it when they probably wouldn't have looked twice at it in the past.

I remember the original Pimp's Quest, and I remember having a nice little chuckle at the jokes. At the time, it was great. This was back when making games like this was new territory. The biggest reason a game like that, which would never hold up to the standards of the cheapest games today, was lauded so much is because of where and how it was made.

If you want to do a tribute, get some other people involved and make it clear that it's not an attention grab for you. I'm betting there are plenty of people who would be willing to put in a little time and effort to help make a tribute game for this guy without wanting credit if that's really what this is about. Without something like this, this is just straight disrespectful.

Response to Pimps Quest 2 Techdemo is now live! 2019-09-09 05:07:20

At 9/9/19 02:24 AM, Aslanemperor wrote:

About the game:

Am I really the only one who thinks this feels like a blatant attempt to use someone else's work to boost this guy's popularity? This isn't a collaboration of OG newgrounds developers working to create a memorial to this guy, this is your attempt to take his idea to make your own game, then use people's sense of nostalgia to convince people to rate it higher and play it when they probably wouldn't have looked twice at it in the past.
I remember the original Pimp's Quest, and I remember having a nice little chuckle at the jokes. At the time, it was great. This was back when making games like this was new territory. The biggest reason a game like that, which would never hold up to the standards of the cheapest games today, was lauded so much is because of where and how it was made.
If you want to do a tribute, get some other people involved and make it clear that it's not an attention grab for you. I'm betting there are plenty of people who would be willing to put in a little time and effort to help make a tribute game for this guy without wanting credit if that's really what this is about. Without something like this, this is just straight disrespectful.

I understand where your coming from.

I ran this through Tom and a select few NG people and no one has given me any indication that this is a bad idea. Again I have stated that this is meant to be a tribute, I loved Pimps Quest and myself (and others) have always wanted to PimpsQuest 2.

its meant to be a tribute to Ben and the entire old school NG community. Again I plan to make 0 money off this, I have not linked to anything offsite and Tom will even pull ads off the final product page.

This is how I wanted to Tribute Ben and his honesty amazing history on and off this site. I have a post already written asking for help, here it is

“Want to get involved? I have made a thread over in collaboration for anyone who wants to help, as I said this is a NG project, so any Newgrounders who want help with Audio, voice acting, art, game design or even just shoot off ideas I would love to talk to you. “

I removed ot it last minute as I am in hospital and don’t have time to set up a thread in collab and start responding to people. Perhaps that was foolish, I posted the game early because I wanted a moral boost since I am away from my wife and kids.

sorry is this is rambling, I have an IV filling me with something I can’t read and posting this on my phone.

Thank NG you for your feedback however, I do know some people will share your opinion and naturally since it’s 2019 if enough people get angry I will pull the plug. I just wanted to do something nice.

At 9/9/19 05:07 AM, Jamessimo wrote:
At 9/8/19 06:22 AM, Jamessimo wrote:
Thank NG you for your feedback however, I do know some people will share your opinion and naturally since it’s 2019 if enough people get angry I will pull the plug. I just wanted to do something nice.

DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER

The following statement is purely MY OWN thoughts and does not reflect on the newgrounds admins or moderation team.

I was really tempted to delete Asianemperor review. However, after thinking about it, his statement was on subject, in my opinion, given everything as whole. As well as there are people who remember the first Pimps Quest and will feel strongly either for or against one way or another.

With that being said OP, it just going to come with the territory which I'm assuming you were aware of such anyway. I'll monitor the reviews but I'm going to be hard press to really delete any of them at this point since it dances on the grey area, fine line of controversial (other mods feel free to chime in). If someone made LInks Quest for Ass 3 or Rise of MK 3, would feel the same way.

With that being said, it's your creation, I understand it's a demo but you do have a tall order to compete with the original. It's just a start, however I think with some TLC, it'll turn out decent. Just right now, I'm not seeing the theme of really at all, just a basic point and click room escape game. The story really what going to tie this together. Won't take long, but maybe play the old game and use that for inspiration. Maybe use some of the characters there to come back and tell the story on what happened afterwards, and maybe help solve their new problems. Maybe try to reclaim old territory from someoen new on the block. IDK. I think it be worth something though.

However, I do look forward to more updates.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Pimps Quest 2 Techdemo is now live! 2019-09-09 17:12:16

I played through the demo and it's got that old school feel.

I'd be honored to play it when it comes out.

BBS Signature

Response to Pimps Quest 2 Techdemo is now live! 2019-09-10 00:41:00

At 9/9/19 05:07 AM, Jamessimo wrote:

About the game:

I understand where your coming from.

I ran this through Tom and a select few NG people and no one has given me any indication that this is a bad idea. Again I have stated that this is meant to be a tribute, I loved Pimps Quest and myself (and others) have always wanted to PimpsQuest 2.

its meant to be a tribute to Ben and the entire old school NG community. Again I plan to make 0 money off this, I have not linked to anything offsite and Tom will even pull ads off the final product page.

This is how I wanted to Tribute Ben and his honesty amazing history on and off this site. I have a post already written asking for help, here it is

“Want to get involved? I have made a thread over in collaboration for anyone who wants to help, as I said this is a NG project, so any Newgrounders who want help with Audio, voice acting, art, game design or even just shoot off ideas I would love to talk to you. “

I removed ot it last minute as I am in hospital and don’t have time to set up a thread in collab and start responding to people. Perhaps that was foolish, I posted the game early because I wanted a moral boost since I am away from my wife and kids.

sorry is this is rambling, I have an IV filling me with something I can’t read and posting this on my phone.

I think the approach says a lot in something like this. If you'd followed through with the original collaboration post, my attitude about this would be very different. As Kidray points out, it's 2019. Though I get the impression he thinks my outrage is some sort of cancel culture overreaction, the fact is that I'm seeing one thing after another from my childhood being remade by people with no scruples or some political agenda to push. As a result of that,I'm a tad bit sore on this particular subject. I'm sorry if I misread your intentions. If you go on and push the collab route, I wish you the best. I don't know why you're in a Chinese hospital away from your family, but please be careful and get better (it's getting really dicey over there and we know how they feel about internet censorship).

Response to Pimps Quest 2 Techdemo is now live! 2019-09-14 05:53:41

At 9/9/19 02:24 AM, Aslanemperor wrote: Am I really the only one who thinks this feels like a blatant attempt to use someone else's work to boost this guy's popularity?

Nope. That's exactly how it came off to me as well.

Response to Pimps Quest 2 Techdemo is now live! 2019-09-14 12:45:26

At 9/9/19 02:24 AM, Aslanemperor wrote: Am I really the only one who thinks this feels like a blatant attempt to use someone else's work to boost this guy's popularity?

I get the 'eebie jeebies from thinking about someone making a sequel without the original guy's permission.

Calling it "Pimp's Quest 2" is pretty disrespectful, because it's not a sequel but rather a re-hash from a different developer. If it was a collaboration effort, it'd be a different story-- since a large undertaking with multiple individuals is glorious enough to rightfully be called a sequel.

If you want to do a tribute, get some other people involved.

Same. The exclusion of giving others the opportunity to join in really does make this a selfish project.

I'm cool with it being made, but there's more you could've done to honor the original creator. *shrug*

Respectfully unaware since <<insert date of birth here>>

Response to Pimps Quest 2 Techdemo is now live! 2019-09-16 01:26:22

Hey guys, I am out of the hospital now and now have the energy and time to open up the game for collaboration!

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1444904

I am accepting literally anything people are kind enough to donate, as said in the post, there is no ego here, even the smallest contribution will get you in the credits.

I will be formalizing all the outlines of the game and start sharing what I have so far and go from there. I don't have a wealth of experience management collabs so please be patient and if you want I can always use a hand if your knowledgeable in this area!

No hard deadlines and no stress.

Just a little bump, I was on the excellent @groundspatrol podcast talking about the late Ben Spurgin and his great work. https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/886516

i also talk about pimps quest 2 and its future in the second half of the episode if anyone is interested!