00:00
00:00

VTubers? what are "they?"

330 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

so I was watching some anime video and I came across this ad for these... VTubers? Virtual Youtubers? ill post a video of one to show you what they are.

uhh, do anyone know how they work? I find it sorta interesting really.. but are they AI? actors playing a roll? or are these just normal people hiding behind a character? so a form of roleplaying? is this similar to those vocaloid thingys?

or are these company characters designed to "make money."

I also found out that there's a fuck ton of them too, this shit isn't something new, it's new to 'us' in the west, but no, this shit is pretty big in Japan.

side note: if Japan turned warships like KMS Bismarck and USS Iowa into anime waifus, why not cars? http://syanago.com/character/ how did I find this? good question.

my humor has deteriorated beyond the point of return

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 01:37:48

I enjoy manga and anime. In a moment of weakness, caused by one of my several weaknesses, I have jacked off to hentai and all that. I can say these things without giving too many fucks of what you all think.

But this? THIS?!

This seems like a whole new level of CANCER! All I had to do to smell it was to watch the video to the point that anime girl started talk!

It's CANCER! CANCER I tell you! CANCER MASKED WITH CUTENESS AND SUGARY SWEETNESS!

OP, you're just another infected pawn of the devil! You're spreading it!

Run for your lives!

AAAAAAAAARGH! AAAAAH! AAHAHAHAAAA HAAAH AHAHAHAHAAAA!

*Cough*

Seriously though, what the fuck now Japan?

iu_53181_2594597.gif

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 03:14:18

At 9/5/19 12:46 AM, Unknown-Recognition wrote: so I was watching some anime video and I came across this ad for these... VTubers? Virtual Youtubers? ill post a video of one to show you what they are.

uhh, do anyone know how they work? I find it sorta interesting really.. but are they AI? actors playing a roll? or are these just normal people hiding behind a character? so a form of roleplaying? is this similar to those vocaloid thingys?

I also found out that there's a fuck ton of them too, this shit isn't something new, it's new to 'us' in the west, but no, this shit is pretty big in Japan.

side note: if Japan turned warships like KMS Bismarck and USS Iowa into anime waifus, why not cars? http://syanago.com/character/ how did I find this? good question.

It's pretty much the vocaloid thing from what I see.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 04:49:14

The bigger ones like Kizuna Ai and that and that white hair meme one are probably run by some company that hire voice actors. The motion capture echnology itself is quite simple and cheap in itself, and you could do with something like a Kinect, but all of them are able to sing fairly well and do those typical "anime" voices like pro's so it's probably just a modern form of idol grooming. Nothing wrong with it though, some are really funny to watch

Just a random idiot

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 05:53:34

At 9/5/19 04:49 AM, Ectisity wrote: The bigger ones like Kizuna Ai and that and that white hair meme one are probably run by some company that hire voice actors. The motion capture echnology itself is quite simple and cheap in itself, and you could do with something like a Kinect, but all of them are able to sing fairly well and do those typical "anime" voices like pro's so it's probably just a modern form of idol grooming. Nothing wrong with it though, some are really funny to watch

makes sense.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 07:06:37

Animation directed to fans. Is it that much different than fanart?

"Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world."

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 07:45:48

At 9/5/19 07:06 AM, satanbrain wrote: Animation directed to fans. Is it that much different than fanart?

good point.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 10:12:27

At 9/5/19 01:37 AM, Gremlin wrote: It's CANCER! CANCER I tell you! CANCER MASKED WITH CUTENESS AND SUGARY SWEETNESS!

While I agree with you on principle, there is no need to go full Daily Fail.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 10:29:10

At 9/5/19 10:12 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 9/5/19 01:37 AM, Gremlin wrote: It's CANCER! CANCER I tell you! CANCER MASKED WITH CUTENESS AND SUGARY SWEETNESS!

It is entirely necessary!

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 10:31:46

At 9/5/19 10:29 AM, Gremlin wrote:
It is entirely necessary!

If you must, but please don't go further into 1930s Daily Fail territory and straight-facedly propose an alliance with the Nazis.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 10:48:06

At 9/5/19 10:31 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: If you must, but please don't go further into 1930s Daily Fail territory and straight-facedly propose an alliance with the Nazis.

I don't get it. Please elaborate.

Did I resemble Hitler there or..?

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 11:13:40

iu_53235_7052319.png

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-05 12:20:54

At 9/5/19 10:48 AM, Gremlin wrote:
At 9/5/19 10:31 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: If you must, but please don't go further into 1930s Daily Fail territory and straight-facedly propose an alliance with the Nazis.
I don't get it. Please elaborate.

Did I resemble Hitler there or..?

No, you resembled the Daily Mail and their cancer obsession.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-07 18:25:08

At 9/5/19 12:46 AM, Unknown-Recognition wrote: uhh, do anyone know how they work? I find it sorta interesting really.. but are they AI? actors playing a roll? or are these just normal people hiding behind a character? so a form of roleplaying? is this similar to those vocaloid thingys?

They're all of those. (Except for the AI one)

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-07 19:34:21

Hey these are also on twitch, you see a lot of them on those unfunny twitch fail vids saying the naughty racial slurs.

At 9/5/19 01:37 AM, Gremlin wrote: In a moment of weakness

*strength

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-07 21:49:56

At 9/5/19 12:46 AM, Unknown-Recognition wrote: so I was watching some anime video and I came across this ad for these... VTubers? Virtual Youtubers? ill post a video of one to show you what they are.

I think the future for animation on youtube will be live game engines with actors playing vr games but acting with scripts. So they play a game that looks real and has 3d sets but they act out scenarios so that 3d artist dont have to render it afterwards. It will be faster and efficient.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-08 04:59:08

Doesn't surprise me

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-11 02:29:41

At 9/7/19 09:49 PM, outerdrake wrote:

I think the future for animation on youtube will be live game engines with actors playing vr games but acting with scripts. So they play a game that looks real and has 3d sets but they act out scenarios so that 3d artist dont have to render it afterwards. It will be faster and efficient.

idk man, Imma have to keep my eye on that. see where animation goes. I cannot say for sure, so I cannot refute this. but if it is happening then idk really know what to say.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-11 02:30:38

At 9/7/19 06:25 PM, Mencret wrote:
At 9/5/19 12:46 AM, Unknown-Recognition wrote: uhh, do anyone know how they work? I find it sorta interesting really.. but are they AI? actors playing a roll? or are these just normal people hiding behind a character? so a form of roleplaying? is this similar to those vocaloid thingys?
They're all of those. (Except for the AI one)

but aren't some of them AI though?

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-11 04:11:19

Vtuber community is indeed garbage. Fun fact : 90% of them are guys pretending to be girls.

At 9/11/19 02:30 AM, Unknown-Recognition wrote: but aren't some of them AI though?

There's a few who portray an AI character. But they're still actors playing the role.

There's some who use speech-to-text --> text-to-speech software to mask their real voice. But they're still actors in the end.

I honestly don't think actual AI is that advanced. I've tricked Google's into thinking that a telephone pole was a crosswalk and that there wasn't a bridge in a picture of a bridge plenty of times.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-11 11:05:29

At 9/11/19 06:23 AM, Mencret wrote:
At 9/11/19 02:30 AM, Unknown-Recognition wrote: but aren't some of them AI though?
There's a few who portray an AI character. But they're still actors playing the role.
There's some who use speech-to-text --> text-to-speech software to mask their real voice. But they're still actors in the end.
I honestly don't think actual AI is that advanced. I've tricked Google's into thinking that a telephone pole was a crosswalk and that there wasn't a bridge in a picture of a bridge plenty of times.

okay thanks for explaining it to me.

I think someone said that most of them are guys pretending to be girls.

so if that's true. then imma have rethink "the how low can humanity go?" thread I was going to make.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-11 12:43:00

I liked it better when Kizuna was the only virtual YTuber.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-11 12:58:26

You know Live2D? Facerig?

Stuff like that makes it work. Also VR headset sandbox things. Along with a voice generator or a lot of talent in speaking like an anime.

I was into it too. I would be way more comfortable portraying a loli anime girl than streaming as myself looking like I do meth(I don't).

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-11 16:55:36

At 9/11/19 11:05 AM, Unknown-Recognition wrote: I think someone said that most of them are guys pretending to be girls.
so if that's true. then imma have rethink "the how low can humanity go?" thread I was going to make.

I wouldn't be surprised but I also wouldn't say it's 90% like that guy said. There's this particular one who's pretty popular who doesn't even bother disguising his voice and is a guy in his 40s. He doesn't try to pretend to be the character or anything - it's more humourous than anything else in this case.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-13 00:45:32

At 9/11/19 12:58 PM, Haris wrote:

You know Live2D? Facerig?
Stuff like that makes it work. Also VR headset sandbox things. Along with a voice generator or a lot of talent in speaking like an anime.
I was into it too. I would be way more comfortable portraying a loli anime girl than streaming as myself looking like I do meth(I don't).

no, I did not know that (sorry for long responses, i'm quite lazy and anti-social even on the internet) Imma start looking into it more in the middle of washing.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-13 00:49:34

At 9/11/19 04:55 PM, Mencret wrote:
At 9/11/19 11:05 AM, Unknown-Recognition wrote: I think someone said that most of them are guys pretending to be girls.
I wouldn't be surprised but I also wouldn't say it's 90% like that guy said. There's this particular one who's pretty popular who doesn't even bother disguising his voice and is a guy in his 40s. He doesn't try to pretend to be the character or anything - it's more humourous than anything else in this case.

yeah it's really up to debate about "who's really who" but for one thing I can determine is that this form of entertainment is gaining some traction. so much so that even the west is starting to get into them.

I would say for unbiased sake, that majority are females. but hey a guy made the vocaloid shit so the possibility of some guys being in there isn't too off, (as some male Japanese actors can sound female) I'm not really into this kind of stuff, It doesn't bother me, I just see it as role-playing, or acting. I have no issue with it, I do however sorta find it quite interesting, I would like to know more about why people would do this, or why would a company do this, and for what reason.

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-13 00:58:49

yawn boring thread

BBS Signature

Response to VTubers? what are "they?" 2019-09-13 10:03:13

At 9/13/19 12:58 AM, TheNewEJR wrote: yawn boring thread

thread wasn't made to be ecstatic or full of energy like you, i'm simply asking a question and people answered that question.

surprised it stay on the front page as long, guess many people have the same question as I about this Virtual YouTubers or whatever they're called.