00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinbad118 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Its Coach Fro to you

584 Views | 19 Replies

Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-24 14:05:27

I volunteered to be my daughters soccer coach and I have no clue what I'm doing. The girls had a lot of fun the first day of practice, but I highly doubt I'm even going to learn where they go on the field let alone teach them where they go on the field before their first game.

Someone save me?

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-24 16:44:50

Rule 1: Lash out violently at your opposition

Rule 2: The groin is never off limits

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-24 17:00:43

Turn to the nearest Brazilian for help.

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-24 17:27:07

Follow this helpful training video.

BBS Signature

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-24 19:25:31

Well, as it so happens, I am a goalkeeper in football, or as you call it, soccer! So I can help you out a little I'm sure. How old are they? If they are young kids, it's not going to be too important where they play, let them try and work out what positions they want to play. From my experience though, you may find it hard to get someone to volunteer to be a keeper, or defender.

If you can find someone to be a keeper, do some basic catching practice with them, some of these videos will help, go for some of the more basic drills if they are quite young.

Defenders, you'll want those who have some strength to them, to keep others off the ball, but you don't want to teach them how to foul! And they might need some speed to them to keep up with fast attackers, which brings me to attackers, make sure they have some good shooting power, speed will also help, but you can have quick midfield to make up for this if your attackers have good shooting power.

This is all very basic, I'm not a coach, I'm a goalkeeper, and it's also all going to depend on how many players per side you are playing as well, such as 5v5, 7v7 or 11v11, and what type of field you are playing on, such as grass, or astroturf (of which there are various ones).

And also, this is probably one of my rare non-shitposts! WOW!

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-25 00:03:43

Just intimidate the hell out of the other team.

iu_50169_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-25 00:06:39

Tell them that rich people founded FED to control the United States of America.

Tell them about JFK's speech about secrecy and secret organizations, and about how Eisenhower warned the public about the military-industrial complex.

Tell them about the phenomenon of consolidation in history of economy of USA.

Tell them about Operation Northwoods.

Show them The Matrix and tell them about the real symbolism behind this movie.

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-25 05:52:43

1. It's called football, and 2. Whatever you do, don't let it look like more show than sport (you know, like the men's world cup).

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-25 14:44:03

At 8/24/19 07:25 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Well, as it so happens, I am a goalkeeper in football, or as you call it, soccer!

The term soccer originated in England as a short-hand variant of “association football” to differentiate it from rugby football (rugger).

You guys can’t Brexit out of history too.

BBS Signature

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-25 15:06:59

At 8/25/19 02:44 PM, wwwyzzerdd wrote:
At 8/24/19 07:25 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Well, as it so happens, I am a goalkeeper in football, or as you call it, soccer!
The term soccer originated in England as a short-hand variant of “association football” to differentiate it from rugby football (rugger).

You guys can’t Brexit out of history too.

The fun thing about words is that they change over the years, football was around for longer, and soccer did originate from Britain, but it is no longer in common useage in British English for the sport, football is. So there is nothing incorrect about my statement, nor was it ignoring the history of the words, football is what the game is known as in the UK at this current moment in history.

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-25 22:21:24

Better get some mom's to volunteer for snack duty.

BBS Signature

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-25 22:24:07

Uh buddy you threw yourself into that position. And I can’t help you since I don’t play soccer.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-26 11:07:18

At 8/24/19 07:25 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Well, as it so happens, I am a goalkeeper in football, or as you call it, soccer! So I can help you out a little I'm sure. How old are they? If they are young kids, it's not going to be too important where they play, let them try and work out what positions they want to play. From my experience though, you may find it hard to get someone to volunteer to be a keeper, or defender.

If you can find someone to be a keeper, do some basic catching practice with them, some of these videos will help, go for some of the more basic drills if they are quite young.

Defenders, you'll want those who have some strength to them, to keep others off the ball, but you don't want to teach them how to foul! And they might need some speed to them to keep up with fast attackers, which brings me to attackers, make sure they have some good shooting power, speed will also help, but you can have quick midfield to make up for this if your attackers have good shooting power.

This is all very basic, I'm not a coach, I'm a goalkeeper, and it's also all going to depend on how many players per side you are playing as well, such as 5v5, 7v7 or 11v11, and what type of field you are playing on, such as grass, or astroturf (of which there are various ones).

And also, this is probably one of my rare non-shitposts! WOW!

We need to talk...

So it's 5v5, 4 on the field and 1 goalie. I'm assuming it's on grass. All I really need to know is a basic formation. Diamond? 3 midfielders, 1 attacker, 1 defender maybe?

Where do they line up on the field when the game starts? Could you draw it up so I see what it looks like during the opening kick off?

If the ball goes out of bounds at various spots how do we handle that and where should they be on the field when that happens?

Attackers/Defenders should move with the ball until about half way up the field and then kind of shadow/wait for the ball right? While midfielders kind of play both offense and defense?

If I could see these visuals and have these scenarios explained to me I would feel a thousand times better going into the first game. Mostly where they line up haha. When do we throw in? When do we kick in? When do we kick in from the corner? Etc...

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-26 11:08:36

At 8/24/19 02:20 PM, Unknown-Recognition wrote:
At 8/24/19 02:05 PM, Fro wrote: I volunteered to be my daughters soccer coach and I have no clue what I'm doing. The girls had a lot of fun the first day of practice, but I highly doubt I'm even going to learn where they go on the field let alone teach them where they go on the field before their first game.

Someone save me?
well shit i don't know, I don't even know the first thing about soccer.

I'm in the same boat. They told me I didn't need to know anything to do it though.

sooo maybe watch some videos on YouTube?

Yeah, I have been. They also sent practice plans attached with youtube videos so hopefully that helps a bit.

At 8/24/19 02:34 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: forget about the team and organize a quality firm to engage in mass offs at their upcoming matches

Now there's an idea.

At 8/24/19 03:33 PM, Dootz wrote: >Look up the rules of soccer.

It's so different, but I have a general sense. The only thing I don't understand is where the players line up in the beginning of the game, when the ball goes out of bounds and is getting kicked back in, etc...

>Find out from the girls what position they usually play.

They're supposed to play everything at this age. I have to rotate them. Some of them have never played before.

>Go from there, giving them encouragement in all situations on the field, both practice and actual games.

That I can do.

>Success

Hopefully. I just want them to have fun.

At 8/24/19 04:44 PM, Viridis wrote: Rule 1: Lash out violently at your opposition

The groin is slightly less effective in girls sports, but could be useful for angry parents.

At 8/24/19 05:00 PM, ZetoSoul wrote: Turn to the nearest Brazilian for help.

Do you have someone to send my way?

At 8/25/19 12:03 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: Just intimidate the hell out of the other team.

I'm scarier than this believe it or not.

At 8/25/19 10:21 PM, Kiwi wrote: Better get some mom's to volunteer for snack duty.

The mom's keep saying that I'm the snack.

At 8/25/19 10:24 PM, FelixZophar wrote: Uh buddy you threw yourself into that position. And I can’t help you since I don’t play soccer.

We all start to learn somewhere. I'm learning how to coach soccer for the first time and you need to learn how to teach me to coach soccer.

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-26 11:11:33

At 8/26/19 11:08 AM, Fro wrote:
At 8/24/19 04:44 PM, Viridis wrote: Rule 1: Lash out violently at your opposition
The groin is slightly less effective in girls sports, but could be useful for angry parents.

Im pretty sure getting kicked in the cunt hurts enough for women.

Can someone verify.

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-26 11:17:22

At 8/26/19 11:08 AM, Fro wrote: We all start to learn somewhere. I'm learning how to coach soccer for the first time and you need to learn how to teach me to coach soccer.

Bro I haven’t played soccer since I was in elementary school. That’s way behind me.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-26 12:59:13

At 8/26/19 11:07 AM, Fro wrote: We need to talk...

I can help!

So it's 5v5, 4 on the field and 1 goalie. I'm assuming it's on grass. All I really need to know is a basic formation. Diamond? 3 midfielders, 1 attacker, 1 defender maybe?

5v5 is what I play, so that's good, formation is going to depend on who you are playing against, and the strengths of your team, I really wouldn't worry too much about midfield in 5v5. If you are playing against a defensive team, 1-1-2, against an attacking team, 2-1-1, or if the really outclass you 3-0-1 and park that bus like a boss!

5v5 is often fake turf of some kind, we play on 3G pitches, but you might be playing on grass, if it is grass, that's good for your keeper, because damn, artifical turf is bad for diving!

Where do they line up on the field when the game starts? Could you draw it up so I see what it looks like during the opening kick off?

Okay, so here is a basic pitch, it's a rought drawing in paint, but it gives a basic image. Both of these teams are play 2-1-1, Team Blue has the kickoff, so one of their players is in the centre circle (the attacker), and one is close by, just outside (the midfielder), this allows for a short simple pass, but they can always play to defence if needed.

Team Red could pull their players up a bit closer to give some pressure, depending on how attacking they want to be, but they aren't allowed in the centre circle until Team Blue have played the ball.

Generally speaking, in 5v5, the keeper is not allowed to leave the semi-circle area, and players are not allowed inside it, if a defender from Team Blue goes into their own area, or the keeper leaves it, Team Red get a penalty kick. If an attacked from Team Red goes into the semi-circle, then Team Blue get a free kick. These rules can change from tournament to tournament, so check with the referee, but train your team to follow these rules.

iu_50879_1568164.png

If the ball goes out of bounds at various spots how do we handle that and where should they be on the field when that happens?

Rules can differ, some pitches might be closed in, and have sides where the ball just bounces off, in these cases, play just continues. Otherwise, there might be a form of rolling, or throwing in, or even kicking in, these can be explained by the ref. As to where you want to position your players, you want them to be in an empty space, or be able to run into space if they are being marked.

So in the below example, they can play the ball through the orange line, and the player makes a run towards it, as they are all marked. Or they can try and make a play through the green line and give the ball to their keeper, this can have a risk to it.

iu_50880_1568164.png

If it's a corner, you'll want to try and get the ball to a player who can shoot towards the keepers wide corner of the net, as this can be tricky to cover. Your defenders may want to join in the attack for a corner in 5v5, since numbers are important, unless you have one attacker who can just wreck a whole team.

iu_50881_1568164.png

Attackers/Defenders should move with the ball until about half way up the field and then kind of shadow/wait for the ball right? While midfielders kind of play both offense and defense?

Defenders need to stop the opposing attack from getting a shot on, so by running at them and making them panic, getting a tackle in, or blocking the shot with their body (but not their hands!), if a defender has the ball, they should be getting rid of it as soon as possible, unless they are confident they can make a run, they should be passing to midfield, or to another defender, depending on how much pressure there is.

Midfield should be able to make runs, get into space, and play the ball to the attacker, passing is very important for midfield, speed will be useful. As for the attackers, they should have some good awareness of who is near them, and be able to run into space ready to get the ball.

In 5v5, all players need to be able to defend to an extent though, you will want your attack to join the defence if the ball is not in your posession and is in your half. My team is not very good at this, and attackers just chill all the way at the opposite end, this is not helpful, the more people you have defending, the more chance of regaining control of the ball.

If I could see these visuals and have these scenarios explained to me I would feel a thousand times better going into the first game. Mostly where they line up haha. When do we throw in? When do we kick in? When do we kick in from the corner? Etc...

A lot of the rules for the game can be answered by the referee, because 5v5 can have differing rules depending on the tournament, I have played in a variety of tournaments, and had atleast 3 different sets of rules. But hopefully this has helped! And I can help you further if you have more questions!

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-26 13:20:27

At 8/26/19 12:59 PM, Little-Rena wrote:
At 8/26/19 11:07 AM, Fro wrote: We need to talk...
I can help!

5v5 is what I play, so that's good, formation is going to depend on who you are playing against, and the strengths of your team, I really wouldn't worry too much about midfield in 5v5. If you are playing against a defensive team, 1-1-2, against an attacking team, 2-1-1, or if the really outclass you 3-0-1 and park that bus like a boss!

We won't know what the other team is playing. These are just 6 year olds playing in a rec league so I'm assuming just getting down 1, maybe 2 formations will be at the max of their comprehension and my ability to be able to teach them. Do you have a recommendation for one solid formation that will help? Everything that I looked up recommended either a 1-2-1 or a 2-1-1.

I actually have about 3 really fast and accurate goal shooters, one very slow, but extremely accurate and strong kicker, but the rest are just kind of daisy pickers/there to have fun.

5v5 is often fake turf of some kind, we play on 3G pitches, but you might be playing on grass, if it is grass, that's good for your keeper, because damn, artifical turf is bad for diving!

Okay, so here is a basic pitch, it's a rought drawing in paint, but it gives a basic image. Both of these teams are play 2-1-1, Team Blue has the kickoff, so one of their players is in the centre circle (the attacker), and one is close by, just outside (the midfielder), this allows for a short simple pass, but they can always play to defence if needed.

If this is a 2-1-1, why does it look like a 1-1-2 to me?

Team Red could pull their players up a bit closer to give some pressure, depending on how attacking they want to be, but they aren't allowed in the centre circle until Team Blue have played the ball.

Generally speaking, in 5v5, the keeper is not allowed to leave the semi-circle area, and players are not allowed inside it, if a defender from Team Blue goes into their own area, or the keeper leaves it, Team Red get a penalty kick. If an attacked from Team Red goes into the semi-circle, then Team Blue get a free kick. These rules can change from tournament to tournament, so check with the referee, but train your team to follow these rules.

Got all of that.

Rules can differ, some pitches might be closed in, and have sides where the ball just bounces off, in these cases, play just continues. Otherwise, there might be a form of rolling, or throwing in, or even kicking in, these can be explained by the ref. As to where you want to position your players, you want them to be in an empty space, or be able to run into space if they are being marked.

So in the below example, they can play the ball through the orange line, and the player makes a run towards it, as they are all marked. Or they can try and make a play through the green line and give the ball to their keeper, this can have a risk to it.

If it's a corner, you'll want to try and get the ball to a player who can shoot towards the keepers wide corner of the net, as this can be tricky to cover. Your defenders may want to join in the attack for a corner in 5v5, since numbers are important, unless you have one attacker who can just wreck a whole team.

In what situation is there a side kick or corner kick? I'm assuming there's a side kick if it goes out of bounds at the side and a corner kick if it goes out over the endline?

Who is the one to throw or kick in? Do I assign a player to do that?

Defenders need to stop the opposing attack from getting a shot on, so by running at them and making them panic, getting a tackle in, or blocking the shot with their body (but not their hands!), if a defender has the ball, they should be getting rid of it as soon as possible, unless they are confident they can make a run, they should be passing to midfield, or to another defender, depending on how much pressure there is.

Ok, that kind of makes sense to me. I think at this age they're not really going to worry about that too much and most are just going to crowd and kick at the ball. (That's what the official guide tells me they're going to do)

Midfield should be able to make runs, get into space, and play the ball to the attacker, passing is very important for midfield, speed will be useful. As for the attackers, they should have some good awareness of who is near them, and be able to run into space ready to get the ball.

In 5v5, all players need to be able to defend to an extent though, you will want your attack to join the defence if the ball is not in your posession and is in your half. My team is not very good at this, and attackers just chill all the way at the opposite end, this is not helpful, the more people you have defending, the more chance of regaining control of the ball.

I think that's going to be hard to teach. It's almost seems like that at this age that the girls are just going to run to the ball no matter what.

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-26 16:47:50

At 8/26/19 01:20 PM, Fro wrote: We won't know what the other team is playing. These are just 6 year olds playing in a rec league so I'm assuming just getting down 1, maybe 2 formations will be at the max of their comprehension and my ability to be able to teach them. Do you have a recommendation for one solid formation that will help? Everything that I looked up recommended either a 1-2-1 or a 2-1-1.

If this is a 2-1-1, why does it look like a 1-1-2 to me?

(DEF)-(MID)-(ATT) that's how formations work, so 2 defenders, 1 midfield, and 1 attacker. If you have good attackers, you want 1-1-2, or you can play 1-2-1 with the midfield joining in the attack!

I actually have about 3 really fast and accurate goal shooters, one very slow, but extremely accurate and strong kicker, but the rest are just kind of daisy pickers/there to have fun.

Well that works quite well for 1-1-2, your slow, but accurate kicker takes the midfield role, and 2 of your fast goal shooters go in the attack.

In what situation is there a side kick or corner kick? I'm assuming there's a side kick if it goes out of bounds at the side and a corner kick if it goes out over the endline?

Who is the one to throw or kick in? Do I assign a player to do that?

That's right for the side, and corner rules, a corner only happens if one of your own players hits it over the endline on your side, if the opposition hits it over your sides endline, it's a goalkick/keepers ball. As for who takes them, get the person who can pass well to do it.

Ok, that kind of makes sense to me. I think at this age they're not really going to worry about that too much and most are just going to crowd and kick at the ball. (That's what the official guide tells me they're going to do)

Fair enough!

I think that's going to be hard to teach. It's almost seems like that at this age that the girls are just going to run to the ball no matter what.

Ah well, try to teach some skills to them, for those who want to be goalkeepers, make sure to give them more structure training, as the skills learnt there are harder than outfield skills.

Response to Its Coach Fro to you 2019-08-26 18:00:18

I too was an athletic instructor, but for a summer job. Very stressful at first, but you will get used to it. Just make sure to sound like you know what you are talking about even if you don't. That's what I learned, makes people listen better.

Tempus Edax Rerum

BBS Signature