00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of January we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 197 people to reach our January goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in February!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Opinion on RPGs

986 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-22 20:24:05

What do you think are the pros and cons to RPGs in your opinion. I'm curious?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 00:39:34

Not my favorite game type to pick up.

Cons

• Topdown dungeon crawlers have the most laziest repetitive background designs around.
  • Skill grinding is usually not fun and makes the game longer than it should be
  • Turn based combat is more like a puzzle than combat
  • When you catch all the Pokemon you get nothing.>:C

Pros

• 2d topdowns are crazy easy to make
  • It encourages reading
  • Over world maps wouldn't exist with out them
  • They bring people together sometimes

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 01:04:56 (edited 2019-08-23 01:08:11)

At 8/23/19 12:39 AM, thepixelizer wrote: Not my favorite game type to pick up.
Cons
Pros

Ok that's pretty good.I agree with you on the second one, in the con scection, but what do you think could be fixed for that dude?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 01:48:17

I like to use RPGs. Especially when playing games like halo. I think RPGs are useful for destroying larger objects or machines. They’re not really useful for targeting smaller objects like people. But they are useful for destroying things like cars and aircrafts. The thing I don’t like about the RPGs, especially in halo, is they seem really slow. In real life RPGs fire and the rocket is really fast. I don’t know maybe they’re the same speed.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 02:38:14

At 8/23/19 01:04 AM, DunkeyKong wrote:
Cons
Pros
Ok that's pretty good.I agree with you on the second one, in the con scection, but what do you think could be fixed for that dude?

I'm no master game maker but usually redundancy can be solved by a user created content portal, player modifications, missions and mini games, or maybe a fragment of another genre as a side quest like the rail shooter Gummi ships in Kingdom Hearts or the virtual pet Chao in Sonic Adventure2.

Pretty much variety.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 09:14:30

At 8/23/19 01:48 AM, FelixZophar wrote: I like to use RPGs. Especially when playing games like halo. I think RPGs are useful for destroying larger objects or machines. They’re not really useful for targeting smaller objects like people. But they are useful for destroying things like cars and aircrafts. The thing I don’t like about the RPGs, especially in halo, is they seem really slow. In real life RPGs fire and the rocket is really fast. I don’t know maybe they’re the same speed.

It,s interesting that you mention halo as a rpg. I'm curious why you think that?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 09:25:35

At 8/23/19 02:38 AM, thepixelizer wrote:
At 8/23/19 01:04 AM, DunkeyKong wrote:
Cons
Pros
I'm no master game maker but usually redundancy can be solved by a user created content portal, player modifications, missions and mini games, or maybe a fragment of another genre as a side quest like the rail shooter Gummi ships in Kingdom Hearts or the virtual pet Chao in Sonic Adventure2.

Pretty much variety.

So do you think ,even though this might be out of context i think?, that South Park, the stick of truth did this well? I don't know if you ever played the game, or seen some gameplay of it, or ever liked the show, but tell me what you think of it?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 09:28:30

At 8/23/19 09:14 AM, DunkeyKong wrote:
At 8/23/19 01:48 AM, FelixZophar wrote: I like to use RPGs. Especially when playing games like halo. I think RPGs are useful for destroying larger objects or machines. They’re not really useful for targeting smaller objects like people. But they are useful for destroying things like cars and aircrafts. The thing I don’t like about the RPGs, especially in halo, is they seem really slow. In real life RPGs fire and the rocket is really fast. I don’t know maybe they’re the same speed.
It,s interesting that you mention halo as a rpg. I'm curious why you think that?

Well it’s a rocket launcher. Kinda the same thing.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 09:47:15

At 8/23/19 09:28 AM, FelixZophar wrote:
At 8/23/19 09:14 AM, DunkeyKong wrote:
Well it’s a rocket launcher. Kinda the same thing.

Eh ok I'll except it.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 19:32:22

I don't have the patience I used to for most RPGs. If it feels too grindy I'll drop it like a bag of bricks. I love the more primitive turn based ones but more often than not the bosses are shitty HP sponges that can only be killed by DPS which usually ends in me dropping the game. I like monster catching games because I can rotate & evolve my team so when I am grinding it actually feels like I'm making progress. World of Final Fantasy was shite though.

I'm not a fan of Action RPGs. I love Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, so the Tales of series, for example, feels really clunky and slow to me. I love the Ys series but holy shit the intro to Ys 8 was such a slog that I never got far. It sucks because I've loved every game in the series save for those unplayable ones where you attack by just running into the enemy. Rogue Galaxy was masochism in ARPG form. I've gone on about how I think Disgaea is grindy bullshit, but right from the first dungeon Rogue Galaxy hits you with enemies that'll back you into a corner and stunlock you to death. It fucking sucked. One of the best ARPGs I've played is Summon Night: Swordcraft Story.

Not sure if these count as ARPGs or whatever but I'm not a fan of auto-attack RPGs. I played a game for the DS called Contact in middle school and while it had a ton of charm, more often than not the player would just stand there like an idiot letting the enemies wail on him. There was a Summon Night game I played on the DS that pulled the same shit, made worse because I believe the game was fully touchscreen controlled. I'm not going to waste my time with Xenoblade.

Let me be blunt here. I don't like SRPGs. I don't like FE, I don't like FF Tactics, and I definitely don't like Disgaea. I had a fun time with Chroma Squad but I think it's just because it was easy to craft overpowered gear and power through everything. Summon Night is more dating sim than SRPG and I'm glad that the spinoff games are all solid.

I'm sure that I would really enjoy CRPGs like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodline, or Fallout 1 & 2 but I simply don't have the time to put into games that are as deep as those.

I'd like to go more into detail with some of my opinions but my laptop is about to die so I'll try to remember to come back to this thread later...

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-23 21:12:02

At 8/23/19 07:32 PM, Chdonga wrote: I don't have the patience I used to for most RPGs. If it feels too grindy I'll drop it like a bag of bricks. I love the more primitive turn based ones but more often than not the bosses are shitty HP sponges that can only be killed by DPS which usually ends in me dropping the game. I like monster catching games because I can rotate & evolve my team so when I am grinding it actually feels like I'm making progress. World of Final Fantasy was shite though.

I'm not a fan of Action RPGs. I love Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, so the Tales of series, for example, feels really clunky and slow to me. I love the Ys series but holy shit the intro to Ys 8 was such a slog that I never got far. It sucks because I've loved every game in the series save for those unplayable ones where you attack by just running into the enemy. Rogue Galaxy was masochism in ARPG form. I've gone on about how I think Disgaea is grindy bullshit, but right from the first dungeon Rogue Galaxy hits you with enemies that'll back you into a corner and stunlock you to death. It fucking sucked. One of the best ARPGs I've played is Summon Night: Swordcraft Story.

Not sure if these count as ARPGs or whatever but I'm not a fan of auto-attack RPGs. I played a game for the DS called Contact in middle school and while it had a ton of charm, more often than not the player would just stand there like an idiot letting the enemies wail on him. There was a Summon Night game I played on the DS that pulled the same shit, made worse because I believe the game was fully touchscreen controlled. I'm not going to waste my time with Xenoblade.

Let me be blunt here. I don't like SRPGs. I don't like FE, I don't like FF Tactics, and I definitely don't like Disgaea. I had a fun time with Chroma Squad but I think it's just because it was easy to craft overpowered gear and power through everything. Summon Night is more dating sim than SRPG and I'm glad that the spinoff games are all solid.

I'm sure that I would really enjoy CRPGs like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodline, or Fallout 1 & 2 but I simply don't have the time to put into games that are as deep as those.

I'd like to go more into detail with some of my opinions but my laptop is about to die so I'll try to remember to come back to this thread later...

Ok cool dude I curious to hear more from you

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-24 20:23:02

At 8/23/19 09:12 PM, DunkeyKong wrote: Ok cool dude I curious to hear more from you

Yeah I played a ton of RPGs. I haven't beaten nearly as many as I've played mind you, so I'll suggest not to take my opinions as gospel.

I watched a video essay on a really interesting CRPG. (I think it was Planescape Torment). There was a side mission where there are these mole people who are digging a series of tunnels underneath a city, and if you don't stop them the city will cave in. You could just kill the mole people and be done with it, or you could find a translator which will trigger a side mission where you will learn their language and discover that they survive off the energy generated from digging, and that they meant the city no harm. As far as I know the game didn't have any karma system and the reward from solving the quest nonviolently was no better or worse than just killing them all; ergo, taking the pacifist route rewarded you with more worldbuilding. This was something that intrigued me and I'd love to see this be a more common practice in RPGs. Undertale did it sorta, but you were still railroaded into the same key events whether you chose to be a pacifist or a murderer or whatever in between. In my eyes it's no different from JRPGs where the dialogue choices all have the same outcome.

FFX was probably my favorite Final Fantasy game. For a while my only knowledge of the series came from Kingdom Hearts and thus I assumed the FF series would be more of the same shallow "light vs darkness" crap with meaningless pseudo-philosophy sprinkled here and now. I was really caught by surprise in one cutscene where Tidus has a flashback about his abusive dad Jecht, and they explicitly state that Jecht has a drinking problem. Prior to that I just assumed that either Tidus was just a whiny tit who was exaggerating how mean his dad was, or the big twist would be that Jecht's abusiveness was a result of being corrupted by darkness. Most of the FF games have an engaging story but the sphere grid was what kept me interested. I love skill trees and it was really cool how they allowed you to teach one party member's skills to other party members. Although because of this I misunderstood Khimari's Lancet gimmick and thought that I could turn Lulu into my blue mage, thus I fucked her grid so hard that by endgame Yuna had taken her place as black mage. I'll give it a second playthrough when somebody makes a skippable cutscenes mod. This is one of few RPGs that I have actually beaten. While there is a big twist that undermines the entire fucking game, the sequel is yuribait garbage, and the director wrote a supplementary novella where nothing interesting happens other than Tidus gets his head fucking blown off by a landmine, but I do implore you to give FFX a whirl. Or in the very least watch Matt and Woolie play through it.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-24 20:28:40

At 8/24/19 08:23 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 8/23/19 09:12 PM, DunkeyKong wrote: Ok cool dude I curious to hear more from you
Yeah I played a ton of RPGs. I haven't beaten nearly as many as I've played mind you, so I'll suggest not to take my opinions as gospel.

I watched a video essay on a really interesting CRPG. (I think it was Planescape Torment). There was a side mission where there are these mole people who are digging a series of tunnels underneath a city, and if you don't stop them the city will cave in. You could just kill the mole people and be done with it, or you could find a translator which will trigger a side mission where you will learn their language and discover that they survive off the energy generated from digging, and that they meant the city no harm. As far as I know the game didn't have any karma system and the reward from solving the quest nonviolently was no better or worse than just killing them all; ergo, taking the pacifist route rewarded you with more worldbuilding. This was something that intrigued me and I'd love to see this be a more common practice in RPGs. Undertale did it sorta, but you were still railroaded into the same key events whether you chose to be a pacifist or a murderer or whatever in between. In my eyes it's no different from JRPGs where the dialogue choices all have the same outcome.

FFX was probably my favorite Final Fantasy game. For a while my only knowledge of the series came from Kingdom Hearts and thus I assumed the FF series would be more of the same shallow "light vs darkness" crap with meaningless pseudo-philosophy sprinkled here and now. I was really caught by surprise in one cutscene where Tidus has a flashback about his abusive dad Jecht, and they explicitly state that Jecht has a drinking problem. Prior to that I just assumed that either Tidus was just a whiny tit who was exaggerating how mean his dad was, or the big twist would be that Jecht's abusiveness was a result of being corrupted by darkness. Most of the FF games have an engaging story but the sphere grid was what kept me interested. I love skill trees and it was really cool how they allowed you to teach one party member's skills to other party members. Although because of this I misunderstood Khimari's Lancet gimmick and thought that I could turn Lulu into my blue mage, thus I fucked her grid so hard that by endgame Yuna had taken her place as black mage. I'll give it a second playthrough when somebody makes a skippable cutscenes mod. This is one of few RPGs that I have actually beaten. While there is a big twist that undermines the entire fucking game, the sequel is yuribait garbage, and the director wrote a supplementary novella where nothing interesting happens other than Tidus gets his head fucking blown off by a landmine, but I do implore you to give FFX a whirl. Or in the very least watch Matt and Woolie play through it.

Ok thats actually pretty cool, but where can I get the FFX game, and what console is it on?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-24 20:42:34

At 8/24/19 08:28 PM, DunkeyKong wrote: where can I get the FFX game, and what console is it on?

It's on the PS2. If you live near a retro game store you can get it for ~$20. Remastered is on Vita, PS3, PS4, and PC and it has a few extra bosses and summons to collect. It also comes with FFX2 but don't play that garbage.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-24 20:44:28

At 8/24/19 08:42 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 8/24/19 08:28 PM, DunkeyKong wrote: where can I get the FFX game, and what console is it on?
It's on the PS2. If you live near a retro game store you can get it for ~$20. Remastered is on Vita, PS3, PS4, and PC and it has a few extra bosses and summons to collect. It also comes with FFX2 but don't play that garbage.

Ok dude thanks for that game recommendation . Hope you have a wonderful day ok?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-29 22:48:27

I usually find a problem that they could have a good story but weak gameplay or the opposite.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-29 23:09:29

At 8/29/19 10:48 PM, VulcanSurge wrote: I usually find a problem that they could have a good story but weak gameplay or the opposite.

Ok that's interesting so what do you think could balance it out?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-29 23:12:46

At 8/29/19 11:09 PM, DunkeyKong wrote:
At 8/29/19 10:48 PM, VulcanSurge wrote: I usually find a problem that they could have a good story but weak gameplay or the opposite.

Honestly I don't know I just think it's one of those lighting in a bottle moments where you need the right people to do it.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-29 23:14:57

At 8/29/19 11:12 PM, VulcanSurge wrote:
Honestly I don't know I just think it's one of those lighting in a bottle moments where you need the right people to do it.

Ok so what rpg, do you think in your opinion, did this right

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-29 23:19:47

At 8/29/19 11:14 PM, DunkeyKong wrote:

I feel like this is a half assed answer since I've only played the 3DS demo but Radiant Historia seems promising.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-08-29 23:21:26

At 8/29/19 11:19 PM, VulcanSurge wrote:
At 8/29/19 11:14 PM, DunkeyKong wrote:
I feel like this is a half assed answer since I've only played the 3DS demo but Radiant Historia seems promising.

Ok I actually played the demo of it also.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-09-09 03:25:27

I love playing JRPGs alot because I do tend to get invested in the world and characters most of the time. Seeing the characters interact with each other can pretty entertaining, that is if the dialogue is good. Also I like how RPGs while not for everyone has different can have different gameplay styles whether it be turn based or real time action, etc. I'll will admit while it does feel satisfying seeing your character get stronger, it is a pain having to grind every now and then just to get further into the game. I also don't like how some games might have you do some pointless mandatory quest just to make the game longer, or get completely wiped out by a boss because you were a few levels below it. Alot of RPG stories do be kinda convoluted or make little sense not gonna lie. But even with all that whether they're good or bad, once you're done with game it's fun to look back on it and remember the good stuff to admire and make fun of the bad when stupid shit happens. And of course I can't forget about the kickass music in the majority of them

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-09-10 09:43:36

At 9/9/19 03:25 AM, ZenoStriker wrote: I love playing JRPGs alot because I do tend to get invested in the world and characters most of the time. Seeing the characters interact with each other can pretty entertaining, that is if the dialogue is good. Also I like how RPGs while not for everyone has different can have different gameplay styles whether it be turn based or real time action, etc. I'll will admit while it does feel satisfying seeing your character get stronger, it is a pain having to grind every now and then just to get further into the game. I also don't like how some games might have you do some pointless mandatory quest just to make the game longer, or get completely wiped out by a boss because you were a few levels below it. Alot of RPG stories do be kinda convoluted or make little sense not gonna lie. But even with all that whether they're good or bad, once you're done with game it's fun to look back on it and remember the good stuff to admire and make fun of the bad when stupid shit happens. And of course I can't forget about the kickass music in the majority of them

Ok that's very good but what do you think could fix the grinding.Could the character have a premade moves set/states, in which you can improve them by getting different weapons that you can upgrade, or costumes that can\can't evolve if you put it on the right character. Would that change it?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-09-10 13:02:48

As a whole, I generally prefer WRPGs, as you generally have a lot more input into your character and your decisions rather than simply be a part of the story. Also, I also prefer action RPGs to turn based if mostly because turn based battles tend to hamper the pacing in games and often show up when you least expect them.

Weirdly enough, the Pokémon and Persona series are turned based RPGs that I actually enjoy. In the former, there are a wide variety of monsters that you can choose from for various situations, and in the latter, the storytelling is top notch across the board, and while not as varied as Pokémon, you can customize your Persona to fit your needs, and considering that one hit deaths are still a thing, it always helps to be prepared.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-09-10 21:28:51

At 9/10/19 01:02 PM, orangebomb wrote: As a whole, I generally prefer WRPGs, as you generally have a lot more input into your character and your decisions rather than simply be a part of the story. Also, I also prefer action RPGs to turn based if mostly because turn based battles tend to hamper the pacing in games and often show up when you least expect them.

Weirdly enough, the Pokémon and Persona series are turned based RPGs that I actually enjoy. In the former, there are a wide variety of monsters that you can choose from for various situations, and in the latter, the storytelling is top notch across the board, and while not as varied as Pokémon, you can customize your Persona to fit your needs, and considering that one hit deaths are still a thing, it always helps to be prepared.

That's pretty good what are some WRPG's that you know of?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-09-24 22:58:50

At 9/24/19 10:46 PM, peachblush327 wrote: I love RPGs. I admit there are some turds. My favorite RPGs are Kingdom Hearts and Dark Cloud.

Ok but what is dark cloud?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-11-17 22:42:40

At 11/17/19 09:36 PM, PrincessofHeart81 wrote: I love RPGs. Some of them are better than watching television.
My favorite RPG is Kingdom Hearts.
I am not too crazy about turn based battles though. Paper Mario made turn based battles more fun and inventive.

Why is Kingdom Hearts your favorite? Is it the gameplay that impressed you, or is it the story that makes you want it more?

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-11-20 10:21:21

Think that's a way too broad and vague question, cause: The Witcher 3 is an RPG, so is Earthbound on the SNES. Pretty much the one thing in common is that you can lvl-up your character. And when people generally reffer to RPG elements, they talk about, skilltrees, stat distribution when lvling, or skillpoints to put into moves or to increase other stats. All things that don't contribute anything concrete to 'playing a role'.

Seems like the way we see the genre RPG is as a game thats just based on math rather than gameplay/physics and skill, and that really blows. Count that as a con.

So on that matter when actually talking 'roleplaying' I unironically think Halo is more of an actual RPG (not meaning Rocket Propelled Grenade this time) than any turn-based or action- or J-RPG you could name. I feel more like I'm playing the role of an alien-blasting-space-marine with Halo. Rather than I feel like I'm being an adventurer when clicking through menus to make a dude do a move or figuring where to put that ability point for the best result.

Not like those kinda games are bad or anything if you're into that. Just think the whole deffinition has become so watered down and meaningless, or rather starting to mean the opposite of what it says it is.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-11-21 00:11:49

At 8/22/19 08:24 PM, DunkeyKong wrote: What do you think are the pros and cons to RPGs in your opinion. I'm curious?

Pros:

-A very versatile genre that can be adapted in many ways and has so much room for deviation and experimentation

-Perfect for driving a narrative

Cons:

- You see the same narrative tropes being used over and over (Mostly in JRPGs)

- The narrative can take too much precedence over gameplay sometimes.

Response to Opinion on RPGs 2019-11-21 17:17:37 (edited 2019-11-21 17:18:08)

I think before you can get into the pros and cons of RPGs, you have to understand what a "RPG" is.

Firstly, RPG stands for Role-Playing Game, which means that the player will be essentially a character that is involved in the story. This differs from games like Contra, Turok, Goldeneye, Any non-rpg mario game, and other games that do not fit the RPG build.

While it is true that many RPGs rely on numbers and skill trees to develop the characters based on level, games like Zelda and Monster Hunter do not rely on a traditional level system or stat building element.

And while they're losing relevance in today's time, RPGs were a way of extending the life of a game. If you compare games like the original final fantasy or illusion of gaia to the stage-based gaming of the era, there was a clear night-and-day different between completion times.

So with that, here are my pros and cons:

Pros:

Gameplay that will last for a long time.

Character development.

Encouraging player exploration.

Clear understanding on monster expectation (what levels the monsters are).

Challenging boss fights.

World elements to expand the scope of the game.

Easiest experience for immersion.

(MMORPG) Connecting with users with a shared experience.

(MMORPG) Able to establish leveling goal in a competitive fashion against other players.

Cons:

Really hard to start if there is no interest.

Really easy to kill an experience with bad storyline.

Take an extremely long time to produce (see kingdom hearts 3 for an example).

Easy to get bored quickly.

Easy to be out-leveled by enemies if you dont spend time leveling.

Hard to commit if you have any outside commitments or do not have a stable foundation.

Easy for favorite rpg company to die due to lack of interest in the genre.

These are some of the elements that are pros and cons to the genre, however, since there are so many intepretations of rpgs, I'd recommend against lumping them altogether.

BBS Signature