00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JamesChrist just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG OC Art Contest Discussion

1,611 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-09 18:19:56

Please post all submissions in the entry thread located here.

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-09 19:27:39

i wish i was good enough at art and imagination to make character designe for this i can't wait to see what everyone comes up with tho

I'm the funniest guy around yeha

BBS Signature

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-11 14:49:47

At 8/9/19 07:27 PM, koupip wrote: i wish i was good enough at art and imagination to make character designe for this i can't wait to see what everyone comes up with tho

Don't underestimate yourself. You never know what you're capable of. Whats the worst that could happen?

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-11 15:15:25

At 8/11/19 02:49 PM, Fro wrote:
At 8/9/19 07:27 PM, koupip wrote: i wish i was good enough at art and imagination to make character designe for this i can't wait to see what everyone comes up with tho
Don't underestimate yourself. You never know what you're capable of. Whats the worst that could happen?

yeah you are right what's the worst that could happen ill give it a shot

I'm the funniest guy around yeha

BBS Signature

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-12 11:22:43

I have a question about creating concept art for the Chief. What exactly makes him a gay character while avoiding stereotypes?

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-12 11:32:25

At 8/12/19 11:22 AM, ArtbyHart wrote: I have a question about creating concept art for the Chief. What exactly makes him a gay character while avoiding stereotypes?

I'm going to redirect this question to the author, @Unabated.

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-12 12:03:13

This seems like a really fun contest! Might have to enter, even if I don't win.

BBS Signature

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-12 15:57:17

At 8/12/19 11:32 AM, Fro wrote:
At 8/12/19 11:22 AM, ArtbyHart wrote: I have a question about creating concept art for the Chief. What exactly makes him a gay character while avoiding stereotypes?

Even though his personality in my head is very loud. I modeled him in my head a lot like Captain Holt from Brooklyn 99. So things in order. Clean. But his personality in my head is way more flirty and fun than Holt. Since the position of this character is in a world that it is more okay to be gay. While the Holt character had to pretend to be straight and keeps things very under wraps. I don't want to limit the creative potential by giving you a box but I feel this should head things in the right direction.

If any of that didn't make any sense or if you feel you need a little more what's okay or not okay I can say this. The chief can have an in uniform and out of uniform look. With uniform to be creative you can do things like replace the American flag patch with the rainbow flag and little things like that. Or just have him dress casual since he doesn't have to leave the building often and it doesn't matter that he is in uniform since he won't be out making arrests. Maybe do something flippy with his hair that normally wouldn't be seen on a cop. There is so much you can do with some creativity. If you have any real concerns that it is to far then ask someone their honest opinion.

Before I make this a preachy essay the point is to ultimately have fun with it. It is a comedy. The envelope can be pushed a little. But keep in mind we are not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or ostracize anyone for who they are. I hope this helps.

Writer, Unabated

BBS Signature

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-12 18:44:25

At 8/12/19 03:57 PM, Unabated wrote:
At 8/12/19 11:32 AM, Fro wrote:
Even though his personality in my head is very loud. I modeled him in my head a lot like Captain Holt from Brooklyn 99. So things in order. Clean. But his personality in my head is way more flirty and fun than Holt. Since the position of this character is in a world that it is more okay to be gay. While the Holt character had to pretend to be straight and keeps things very under wraps. I don't want to limit the creative potential by giving you a box but I feel this should head things in the right direction.

If any of that didn't make any sense or if you feel you need a little more what's okay or not okay I can say this. The chief can have an in uniform and out of uniform look. With uniform to be creative you can do things like replace the American flag patch with the rainbow flag and little things like that. Or just have him dress casual since he doesn't have to leave the building often and it doesn't matter that he is in uniform since he won't be out making arrests. Maybe do something flippy with his hair that normally wouldn't be seen on a cop. There is so much you can do with some creativity. If you have any real concerns that it is to far then ask someone their honest opinion.

Before I make this a preachy essay the point is to ultimately have fun with it. It is a comedy. The envelope can be pushed a little. But keep in mind we are not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or ostracize anyone for who they are. I hope this helps.

Thank you. I will look into that.

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-28 22:21:26

We have just about three weeks left for the art competition. So far we have two submitters so the chance of winning is still pretty high.

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-08-28 23:26:47

At 8/28/19 10:21 PM, Fro wrote: We have just about three weeks left for the art competition. So far we have two submitters so the chance of winning is still pretty high.

I will probably submit something in three weeks.

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-09-13 12:26:43

Approximately 7 days until the end of the competition. :)

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-09-30 18:59:38

@Unabated made his choices as soon as the competition was over, but I've been slightly busy. If this product does get completed I believe we will coauthor all of the winners. Or even all of the entries. We'll figure that out when the time comes. They were all great in their own way. For now, we would like it if 1st place would join us in the next judging process as part of the team. So... on to the winners...

Complementary supporter statuses via our lord and savor @TomFulp

1st Place:

@MrShmoods

2nd Place:

@Bouru

3rd Place:

@ArtbyHart

4th Place:

@MugenELSalvador

----------

Comments from the author: "I also liked @Bouro 's child thief and the Stephanie by @Arzonout , but it wasn't what I was looking forward for that character. But I would love to use it at some point. For maybe a victim or something if we do an episode two or something else."

Comments from Fro: The next competitions that will be held will be the theme song and voice acting section. They will be two separate competitions, but to keep things rolling we will hold them at the same time. Look out for them to be posted within the next week or so.

To view the entire playlist of submissions please check this out.

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-09-30 19:03:02

I also think I should be able to find the time to leave a review on all of the entries. Thank you so much for making this part of the competition happen. I was always so excited to see new entries appear in the art portal.

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-10-01 08:27:47

At 9/30/19 06:59 PM, Fro wrote: @Unabated made his choices as soon as the competition was over, but I've been slightly busy. If this product does get completed I believe we will coauthor all of the winners. Or even all of the entries. We'll figure that out when the time comes. They were all great in their own way. For now, we would like it if 1st place would join us in the next judging process as part of the team. So... on to the winners...

Complementary supporter statuses via our lord and savor @TomFulp

Thank you everyone who participated in this contest!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to NG OC Art Contest Discussion 2019-10-01 12:06:55

It was a complete pleasure and honor to be part of your contest. Congratulations to Mrshmoods, Bouru and ArtbyHart. You deserve it guys. Good Job.