00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

orafice13 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Automate game to deployment

319 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Automate game to deployment 2019-06-02 11:03:58

I just wanted to ask if there is anyway I can automate uploading my games to Newgrounds? Itch.io has something called butler that will auto upload my games to it when I update them on my workstation https://itch.io/docs/butler/

Response to Automate game to deployment 2019-06-02 12:51:24

At 6/2/19 11:03 AM, Jamessimo wrote: I just wanted to ask if there is anyway I can automate uploading my games to Newgrounds? Itch.io has something called butler that will auto upload my games to it when I update them on my workstation https://itch.io/docs/butler/

hmm, not as far as I can imagine. Sounds like an interesting idea nonetheless, probably worth tagging @TomFulp in this.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Automate game to deployment 2019-06-02 19:02:28

At 6/2/19 12:51 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 6/2/19 11:03 AM, Jamessimo wrote: I just wanted to ask if there is anyway I can automate uploading my games to Newgrounds? Itch.io has something called butler that will auto upload my games to it when I update them on my workstation https://itch.io/docs/butler/
hmm, not as far as I can imagine. Sounds like an interesting idea nonetheless, probably worth tagging @TomFulp in this.

If @TomFulp descends from mount Olympus to look at this thread then I would also like to add

If my game is tagged as “touch screen friendly” then you can assume that my game will always be touch friendly. No need to uncheck that option every time I publish a new build.

At 6/2/19 11:03 AM, Jamessimo wrote: I just wanted to ask if there is anyway I can automate uploading my games to Newgrounds?

That's a good idea. In Unity, it's simple to write a script to post-process the game build. I already have it zipped for Newgrounds, it'd be cool if we were able to upload it via code, too.

At 6/2/19 07:02 PM, Jamessimo wrote: If my game is tagged as “touch screen friendly” then you can assume that my game will always be touch friendly. No need to uncheck that option every time I publish a new build.

Yeah, and the game resolution, too.

And perhaps go one step further and try to auto-detect it, if possible. I don't know about the structure of builds in other game engines, but the Unity build looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en-us">
  <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <title>Unity WebGL Player | Dirk Woodchip</title>
    <script src="Build/UnityLoader.js"></script>
    <script>
      var gameInstance = UnityLoader.instantiate("gameContainer", "Build/Dirk Woodchip.json");
    </script>
  </head>
  <body>
    <div id="gameContainer" style="width: 848px; height: 480px; margin: auto"></div>
  </body>
</html>

Making it pretty clear that the game resolution is 848×480.

Yet I constantly see people publish games with the wrong resolution. Like this one. Or, even more common mistake, is forgetting to add the fixed height "38" of the footer (if it's enabled in Unity); which cuts the total height slightly – see here.

And some people seem to think setting a huge resolution will magically make their game “fullscreen”. Instead they end up with a giant black box and a tiny game window in the middle.

It's people's own fault for not checking the preview before publishing their project but I stumble upon games like these somewhat frequently.

Response to Automate game to deployment 2019-06-03 08:51:10

At 6/2/19 07:02 PM, Jamessimo wrote:
If @TomFulp descends from mount Olympus to look at this thread then I would also like to add

If my game is tagged as “touch screen friendly” then you can assume that my game will always be touch friendly. No need to uncheck that option every time I publish a new build.

That's a long-time bug that is getting addressed in the project system update. As far as having a tool to auto-update games, we don't have anything like that in the works at the moment but it would be handy. I imagine someone could even make a third party tool to auto-update files on multiple sites all at once.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Automate game to deployment 2019-06-03 15:08:29

At 6/3/19 08:51 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/2/19 07:02 PM, Jamessimo wrote:

That's a long-time bug that is getting addressed in the project system update. As far as having a tool to auto-update games, we don't have anything like that in the works at the moment but it would be handy. I imagine someone could even make a third party tool to auto-update files on multiple sites all at once.

Having a direct upload from a command line tool would be an absolute blessing. The closest I've gotten is where I write a small little .bat script that builds the game, then ZIPs it, and then it opens the file browser to that directory, and opens the link to the project manager to the current project in the web browser. All I have to do is drag the .zip into the updater thing. I had to upload Monster Mashing to Steam through CMD shit and that changed my life I can't go back.

also that mobile checkbox vry good thanke thanke I'm very excited for this new update

sicko mode

BBS Signature