00:00
00:00

Gato Roboto Art Contest!

5,417 Views | 28 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Gato Robot Fan Art Contest

To celebrate the release of Gato Roboto on Steam and Switch, we’re hosting a Gato Roboto Fan Art contest!

In Gato Roboto you play as a cat with an armored mech suit, on a mission to save your stranded captain and his crashed spaceship. It was worked on by @Miroko and @josephbourgeois, who met here on NG!

To participate in this contest, simply create some Gato Roboto themed fan art (or share some you already made), upload it to the Art Portal and tag it with gato-roboto. Miroko and Joseph will be picking ten of their favorites, to be gifted Gato Roboto Steam keys!

The deadline for this contest is Sunday, June 16th at 11:59pm EST.

iu_30660_1.png

Tales of Alethrion

If you’re looking for other themes to create art around, we would love to feature some Tales of Alethrion fan art! If you make some, be sure to tag it with tales-of-alethrion.

Seven days remain to Kickstart Season Two of Tales of Alethrion and I think it’s important this project gets funded. Go have a look!

Other Art and Music Stuff

In addition to the above, we’ve also been enjoying a lot of Death Stranding art, if you’ve made any you’d like to share.

When it comes to featuring art on the front page, here are some things I personally like to feature:

Cool original works like and Cassette Girl, The Void, Patrol and acty.

Indie game fan art like Hollow Knight and Hotline Miami or actual art from games by the original artist, like these Katana Zero animations.

Weird and creepy stuff like Jon…, Tower of Fred and Dead Astronaut.

Fan art of characters here on NG, such as Starbarians and Mao Mao. You can get SUPER OBSCURE with this and it will be even more appreciated. Be sure to link to the content in your author commentary!

City skylines and buildings such as Highway City, Shibuya Train Station and Highway.

Pixel art like Early Summer and Unnamed Game. We have an annual Pixel Day on January 23rd but pixel art is extremely welcome year-round.

Film / anime / game pop culture such as Aboard the Nostromo, Spirited Away No Face, King K Rool and Metal Slug.

I’m a big sucker for obscure game characters in general. If you’re making art about something a lot of people don’t know about, consider giving everyone some history in the author commentary! It’s fun to learn more about what other people like around here. We can entertain each other while also teaching each other.

If your art doesn’t fit any of these descriptions, don’t let that discourage you! We love all sorts of art around here but I wanted to put this list out there to help anyone who might be wondering.

On the topic of letting people know what we like to see, here’s one of my regular reminders that we can’t host content that contains unlicensed commercial music and have compiled a list of royalty-free music resources to help you on your journey. Unlicensed music not only creates huge legal headaches for NG, it also goes against the independent spirit around here where you can talk to the people who make the things you enjoy.

The Audio Portal is a great place to find independent musicians who would often be thrilled to hear their music in your games and animation! Check their Creative Commons / licensing terms listed on each page and be sure to credit any music you use.

Also listen to my May Playlist of songs I enjoyed this month! Yesterday I caught @PhantomArcade dancing in front of the office and he was listening to something on NG, I wonder what it was?

Important Things to Also Read

If you missed it Wednesday, I made a post highlighting a lot of cool events and goings on around the site. A big one to check out is the Wick Game Jam and today the Mixed Perspectives Writing Contest was announced in the Writing Forum.

I’m also making a point to remind everyone to become NG supporters! It’s just $3 per month or $25 for the year and comes with a lot of perks. If you don’t like seeing ads, become a supporter and they’ll go away! If enough people become supporters, we eventually won’t need ads at all, which would make a better impression on both newcomers and regulars. We can’t get there without a lot of help; please consider joining up if you have the means!

We increased the capacity on our Elastic cluster this week, which powers search and art browsing. The big ongoing project is literally the Project System used for publishing content here on NG. There are a ton of moving parts in this one, we hope you like how it all turns out!

iu_30659_1.png

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 14:26:55

I will support this new game partially because I love seeing NewGrounds success stories, but mostly because meow

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 14:28:49

The list of games with Newgrounds origins keeps getting longer and longer, it's nice to see people blooming and stuff!

Good.

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 14:28:49

robo username.

next of klier osda

katana!

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 14:33:33 (edited 2019-05-31 14:34:07)

At 5/31/19 02:13 PM, TomFulp wrote: The big ongoing project is literally the Project System used for publishing content here on NG. There are a ton of moving parts in this one, we hope you like how it all turns out!

I am very excited for upload progress bars and anything else is just icing on the cake.

At 5/31/19 02:13 PM, TomFulp wrote: Yesterday I caught @PhantomArcade dancing in front of the office and he was listening to something on NG, I wonder what it was?

This got me grinnin good

and also CONGRATS TO GATO ROBOTO CREW

RIP STATICSKULL NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 15:12:50

Just played Gato Roboto. Looks cool. Hope the sequel is in development

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 15:39:33

Robots be taking over! Looks awesome though. Banner style had me thinking it might be a bit like Minit but it was more like... something totally different. Pretty cool how all the best platformers out there seem to have ties to this place. Looking forward to seeing some of that artistry.

And all that other stuff: there's too much stuff! Gotta catch up...

Hyped to see how the new Project System turns out too.

Check out the NRC / Hexa #53 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 16:07:51

It seems that the Newgrounds Robot takeover is still going as scheduled.

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 16:50:05 (edited 2019-05-31 16:53:42)

At 5/31/19 04:42 PM, RedeyestheSecound wrote:
At 5/31/19 02:13 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Looks like my re-edit was one of them? :/ Can confirm at least that one shouldn't have been taken down. I did give permission, and my work's all released under a CC license that allows modification with credit anyway.

Can't vouch for the rest of course, but seems like maybe some got dragged along that shouldn't have.

Hope you get them back Redeyes.

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 16:50:55

I feel like I have to do this, because I'm a robot.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 16:54:20

At 5/31/19 04:50 PM, RoboSeven wrote: I feel like I have to do this, because I'm a robot.

Participation is compulsory indeed. Looking forward to it!

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-05-31 17:01:25

At 5/31/19 04:54 PM, RedeyestheSecound wrote: dude i took advice from some one who told me to look at the side to see if it was ok to re edit and they all were like that except for one i got one off of google ... I AM TRYING TO CUT BACK ON SLEEPING PILLS LAST MONTH I ONLY HAD HALF A BOTTLE I GAVE OTHER HALF TO MY MOM SO I CAN NOT GET ALTIMERS WHEN IM 30 BUT AFTER THIS FUCK IT IM USING ALL 30 THIS MONTH CAUSE THAT WAS BULLSHIT AND THIS GUY EVEN BUMPED MY STATUS CAUSE HE KNEW I WAS DOING GOOD WORK
https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441837#bbspost26342347_post_text

I think I know that dude. P

Sounds like that Google one might've been the problem though. Better avoid stuff like that. I assume someone saw that and assumed the rest were the same.

Mistakes happen though! Hopefully someone can fix this. You can always reach out to one of these guys if staff are busy: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/site-moderation

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-01 01:13:02

It's like super metroid with cats on acid.

I fell down and hit my head on a rock. My Father asked, is the rock okay?

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-01 02:57:57

Gato Roboto is a great topic for an Art Contest. Looking forward to some awesome submissions.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-01 06:54:51

Not a fan of cats, but i might buy this anyways.

also first post

None

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-01 09:10:43 (edited 2019-06-01 09:12:07)

Ok i will take part in this

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-01 11:58:57

At 5/31/19 02:13 PM, TomFulp wrote:

I’m a big sucker for obscure game characters in general.

Alright, I should probably work my drawing skills to make some fanart of Sanguine's awesome protagonist: Eleanor.

If you guys don't know about Sanguine 2, it's an awesome flash game that's on NG.

Here's the link to the game: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/682128

ps: I'm just doing that because I think this game deserves much more attention.

Drink coffee,be coffee .

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-01 12:05:41

Tales of Alethrion has really blown me away. I havn't seen something of this high quality for a while since the yuyu. But blown away in a different way, the story is what makes it. Takes me back to my childhood days of watching cartoons.

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-02 04:26:46

At 5/31/19 02:13 PM, TomFulp wrote: Gato Robot Fan Art Contest

To celebrate the release of Gato Roboto on Steam and Switch, we’re hosting a Gato Roboto Fan Art contest!

In Gato Roboto you play as a cat with an armored mech suit, on a mission to save your stranded captain and his crashed spaceship. It was worked on by @Miroko and @josephbourgeois, who met here on NG!

To participate in this contest, simply create some Gato Roboto themed fan art (or share some you already made), upload it to the Art Portal and tag it with gato-roboto. Miroko and Joseph will be picking ten of their favorites, to be gifted Gato Roboto Steam keys!

Tales of Alethrion

If you’re looking for other themes to create art around, we would love to feature some Tales of Alethrion fan art! If you make some, be sure to tag it with tales-of-alethrion.

Seven days remain to Kickstart Season Two of Tales of Alethrion and I think it’s important this project gets funded. Go have a look!

In addition to the above, we’ve also been enjoying a lot of Death Stranding art, if you’ve made any you’d like to share.

When it comes to featuring art on the front page, here are some things I personally like to feature:

Indie game fan art like Hollow Knight and Hotline Miami or actual art from games by the original artist, like these Katana Zero animations.

Fan art of characters here on NG, such as Starbarians and Mao Mao. You can get SUPER OBSCURE with this and it will be even more appreciated. Be sure to link to the content in your author commentary!

City skylines and buildings such as Highway City, Shibuya Train Station and Highway.

Pixel art like Early Summer and Unnamed Game. We have an annual Pixel Day on January 23rd but pixel art is extremely welcome year-round.

Film / anime / game pop culture such as Aboard the Nostromo, Spirited Away No Face, King K Rool and Metal Slug.

I’m a big sucker for obscure game characters in general. If you’re making art about something a lot of people don’t know about, consider giving everyone some history in the author commentary! It’s fun to learn more about what other people like around here. We can entertain each other while also teaching each other.

If your art doesn’t fit any of these descriptions, don’t let that discourage you! We love all sorts of art around here but I wanted to put this list out there to help anyone who might be wondering.

On the topic of letting people know what we like to see, here’s one of my regular reminders that we can’t host content that contains unlicensed commercial music and have compiled a list of royalty-free music resources to help you on your journey. Unlicensed music not only creates huge legal headaches for NG, it also goes against the independent spirit around here where you can talk to the people who make the things you enjoy.

The Audio Portal is a great place to find independent musicians who would often be thrilled to hear their music in your games and animation! Check their Creative Commons / licensing terms listed on each page and be sure to credit any music you use.

Also listen to my May Playlist of songs I enjoyed this month! Yesterday I caught @PhantomArcade dancing in front of the office and he was listening to something on NG, I wonder what it was?

If you missed it Wednesday, I made a post highlighting a lot of cool events and goings on around the site. A big one to check out is the Wick Game Jam and today the Mixed Perspectives Writing Contest was announced in the Writing Forum.

I’m also making a point to remind everyone to become NG supporters! It’s just $3 per month or $25 for the year and comes with a lot of perks. If you don’t like seeing ads, become a supporter and they’ll go away! If enough people become supporters, we eventually won’t need ads at all, which would make a better impression on both newcomers and regulars. We can’t get there without a lot of help; please consider joining up if you have the means!

We increased the capacity on our Elastic cluster this week, which powers search and art browsing. The big ongoing project is literally the Project System used for publishing content here on NG. There are a ton of moving parts in this one, we hope you like how it all turns out!

Just wondering, what will the winner get? Or is this a contest, on artists imagination/ will power test? You know to see if they 'Still got it?'

Either way I'm in, don't matter to me much.

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-02 14:13:01

wow this looks like a amazing Metroidvania ,I got to add this to my wishlist

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-02 22:48:37

wait did the gato roboto team start on newgrounds or something? i am missing something here.....

a deep thinking fucko that thinks, known to try things but be too lazy to pursue them

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-04 20:15:34

At 5/31/19 05:01 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 5/31/19 04:54 PM, RedeyestheSecound wrote: dude i took advice from some one who told me to look at the side to see if it was ok to re edit and they all were like that except for one i got one off of google ... I AM TRYING TO CUT BACK ON SLEEPING PILLS LAST MONTH I ONLY HAD HALF A BOTTLE I GAVE OTHER HALF TO MY MOM SO I CAN NOT GET ALTIMERS WHEN IM 30 BUT AFTER THIS FUCK IT IM USING ALL 30 THIS MONTH CAUSE THAT WAS BULLSHIT AND THIS GUY EVEN BUMPED MY STATUS CAUSE HE KNEW I WAS DOING GOOD WORK
https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441837#bbspost26342347_post_text
I think I know that dude. P

Sounds like that Google one might've been the problem though. Better avoid stuff like that. I assume someone saw that and assumed the rest were the same.

Mistakes happen though! Hopefully someone can fix this. You can always reach out to one of these guys if staff are busy: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/site-moderation

look at my post HELP HELP HELP i found who removed my fuckign art or who had part of it a super lame excuse please defend me there saying based on ONE bad re draw i did just to save a OC picture they were allowed to take down the rest cause "all i did was add red eyes" you know i put work on others drawings to show i cared for them please go explain to those dumb fucks

From redeyes to you!

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-04 21:48:09

i made the octopus that is on the pic move

made it on wick editor :P

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-05 05:24:51 (edited 2019-06-05 05:25:49)

At 6/4/19 08:15 PM, RedeyestheSecound wrote: "all i did was add red eyes"

Can confirm it was more than just red eyes. But it doesn't really matter how extensive the modification was, or wasn't, if the work you modified was released under a license that allowed it, right? Then it should be OK. As far as I know there's no clause on either license nor submission guidelines with limitations in this regard. Correct me if I'm wrong.

you know i put work on others drawings to show i cared for them please go explain to those dumb fucks

Might not help with that kind of wording y'know. ;) But sure, I can reach out if I know who to reach out to. Would be nice to get the legit ones back.

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-05 08:41:31

At 6/4/19 09:48 PM, davidpuralocura wrote: i made the octopus that is on the pic move
//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/davidpuralocura/octo
made it on wick editor :P

Nice work!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-05 08:59:35

Great to see so much going on in creativity, competition and collaboration! As you say, the June writing competition is now up and running, but the MAY ONE STILL HASN'T CLOSED until the 10th of June- go and make a character for it, then we will animate it!

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-05 11:09:42

@TomFulp You Are A Good Officer

gooad!

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-09 03:18:43

At 6/5/19 08:59 AM, IceDragon64 wrote: Great to see so much going on in creativity, competition and collaboration!

That is so true. It all kind of came together.

As you say, the June writing competition is now up and running, but the MAY ONE STILL HASN'T CLOSED until the 10th of June- go and make a character for it, then we will animate it!

Make sure you enter it while you still can. Don't miss out on the deadline.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Gato Roboto Art Contest! 2019-06-17 21:58:40

At 5/31/19 02:13 PM, TomFulp wrote: Gato Robot Fan Art Contest

Tales of Alethrion

When would we receive notification of when the fan art is chosen?