00:00
00:00

Can you be 'un-scouted'?

193 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-13 18:54:39

Soon after I joined & put up some work, I got scouted by someone called MageRabbit -- which meant my art was showing up in the portal, which is a good thing -- but recently I happened to notice on my homepage that it no longer says I've been scouted -- it says 'This artist has not been scouted yet.' -- so, wtf? Did I get un-scouted somehow? Or is this a glitch of some sort? & does this mean that my art isn't showing up in the portal anymore? Any info on this would be much appreciated -- thx!

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-13 22:56:09

At 5/13/19 06:54 PM, reuterworld wrote: Soon after I joined & put up some work, I got scouted by someone called MageRabbit -- which meant my art was showing up in the portal, which is a good thing -- but recently I happened to notice on my homepage that it no longer says I've been scouted -- it says 'This artist has not been scouted yet.' -- so, wtf? Did I get un-scouted somehow? Or is this a glitch of some sort? & does this mean that my art isn't showing up in the portal anymore? Any info on this would be much appreciated -- thx!

Yes, you can. It's possible that you got pruned, which means that whoever scouted you, which was MageRabbit, also got unscouted from the Art Portal, meaning that you also got unscouted.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-14 02:35:02 (edited 2019-05-14 02:40:19)

At 5/13/19 10:56 PM, Big-Boss wrote: Yes, you can. It's possible that you got pruned, which means that whoever scouted you, which was MageRabbit, also got unscouted from the Art Portal, meaning that you also got unscouted.

Let me complicate the situation: I don’t think that’s the reason, as Magerabbit hasn’t been pruned since they were scouted. I’m not even sure they scouted the OP.

Unless reuterworld got a PM, I think the person who scouted them deleted their account.

BBS Signature

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-14 02:42:37

At 5/14/19 02:35 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 5/13/19 10:56 PM, Big-Boss wrote: Yes, you can. It's possible that you got pruned, which means that whoever scouted you, which was MageRabbit, also got unscouted from the Art Portal, meaning that you also got unscouted.
Let me complicate the situation: I don’t think that’s the reason, as Magerabbit hasn’t been pruned since they were scouted. I’m not even sure they scouted the OP.

Yes, MageRabbit scouted me -- I even sent him an email to thank him for scouting me, & asking him what that meant -- but is there any explanation for why people get "pruned"? Is it because of content, or lack of activity or something? & do I need someone else to scout me now? Thx!

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-14 02:50:58

At 5/13/19 10:56 PM, Big-Boss wrote:
At 5/13/19 06:54 PM, reuterworld wrote: Soon after I joined & put up some work, I got scouted by someone called MageRabbit -- which meant my art was showing up in the portal, which is a good thing -- but recently I happened to notice on my homepage that it no longer says I've been scouted -- it says 'This artist has not been scouted yet.' -- so, wtf? Did I get un-scouted somehow? Or is this a glitch of some sort? & does this mean that my art isn't showing up in the portal anymore? Any info on this would be much appreciated -- thx!
Yes, you can. It's possible that you got pruned, which means that whoever scouted you, which was MageRabbit, also got unscouted from the Art Portal, meaning that you also got unscouted.

K, well it just got a lot weirder -- right after I made a reply to this thread, I got a message from M-Bot, telling me that I'd been rescouted & my art would show up the portal...& then, a minute after that, I got another message from M-Bot, telling me I'd been unscouted -- any idea wtf is going on here?! Thx!

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-14 02:53:40

At 5/14/19 02:42 AM, reuterworld wrote:
Yes, MageRabbit scouted me -- I even sent him an email to thank him for scouting me, & asking him what that meant

Hm, ok. Doesn’t make sense on the site records (when I unpruned you temporarily, you were scouted by “Newgrounds Staff”, which usually happens when it doesn’t know who to associate with your original scout).

but is there any explanation for why people get "pruned"? Is it because of content, or lack of activity or something? & do I need someone else to scout me now? Thx!

Simply their content. Scouting is for quality control of the art portal.

Someone needs to scout you again.

If Magerabbit scouted you, I would send them a PM. I’m confused what’s happened there, as it makes no sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-14 02:57:56

At 5/14/19 02:53 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Yes, MageRabbit scouted me -- I even sent him an email to thank him for scouting me, & asking him what that meant
Hm, ok. Doesn’t make sense on the site records (when I unpruned you temporarily, you were scouted by “Newgrounds Staff”, which usually happens when it doesn’t know who to associate with your original scout).
but is there any explanation for why people get "pruned"? Is it because of content, or lack of activity or something? & do I need someone else to scout me now? Thx!

If Magerabbit scouted you, I would send them a PM. I’m confused what’s happened there, as it makes no sense.

Ah, so that's why I got those messages from M-Bot, telling me I was rescouted, then telling me I was unscouted again -- well, this is all a big pain -- so I just have to sit here & wait for someone else to scout me, even though I've been having my stuff show up in the portal for months -- really sucks -- k, thx for the info -- maybe things aren't working out here so well for me, after all -- might have to find another site for my art... :(

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-17 20:33:58

At 5/14/19 02:57 AM, reuterworld wrote:

Ah, so that's why I got those messages from M-Bot, telling me I was rescouted, then telling me I was unscouted again -- well, this is all a big pain -- so I just have to sit here & wait for someone else to scout me, even though I've been having my stuff show up in the portal for months -- really sucks -- k, thx for the info -- maybe things aren't working out here so well for me, after all -- might have to find another site for my art... :(

An issue JUST like this happened to me.

I can't recall whom it was that scouted me in here , it was back when Tumblr was dieing overall.

But this whole time I've been scouted... just got online moments ago , and now I'm not?

This has to be the strangest system I've seen in years... but at least reading this post helped somewhat.

Guess there's nothing to do but keep posting my work... and hope someone scouts me again ?

I suppose.

X _X''

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-17 21:10:59

At 5/17/19 08:33 PM, Tyme-Valentine wrote:
At 5/14/19 02:57 AM, reuterworld wrote:

An issue JUST like this happened to me.
I can't recall whom it was that scouted me in here , it was back when Tumblr was dieing overall.
But this whole time I've been scouted... just got online moments ago , and now I'm not?

This has to be the strangest system I've seen in years... but at least reading this post helped somewhat.
Guess there's nothing to do but keep posting my work... and hope someone scouts me again ?
I suppose.
X _X''

I just thought I would post as a counter-example. I remain scouted at the moment and have not had an issue, so whatever is going on I would guess is only happening to some and not all users. Glad to be of help.

BBS Signature

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-17 21:36:26

At 5/14/19 02:42 AM, reuterworld wrote: Yes, MageRabbit scouted me -- I even sent him an email to thank him for scouting me, & asking him what that meant -- but is there any explanation for why people get "pruned"? Is it because of content, or lack of activity or something? & do I need someone else to scout me now? Thx!

Ya know, this exact same thing happened to me a while ago, but I never said anything about it 'cause I figured my art probably wasn't good enough for the portal anyways, but I've seen worse from scouted artists. Now that I'm seeing others sharing the EXACT SAME experience, I might as well share mine too.

On June 7, 2018 I got a message from M-bot saying that XwaynecoltX scouted me, and I went and did some research because I wanted to make sure it was legit, 'cause I know there's countless times when people who are obviously going to get unscouted go and scout people, but I recognized the name, since he reviewed several of my submissions rather favorably, and his own art was decent, plus he had a ton of scouts, and he had a ton of reviews, so I figured it was a safe bet and accepted the scout. I wasn't actively making art at the time though, so a month had passed without me submitting anything, and when I went to go check, because I had thought about making some art again, it turns out I was unscouted, and I was confused because I was sure XwaynecoltX would be a safe bet, and when I went to his profile, he was still scouted, but all of his scouts were gone, so I assumed that someone he scouted fucked up so everyone else he scouted got pruned, but iirc that's not how that works so I don't know. I even sent him a message thanking him for the scout, like you did. I never sent him a message asking what happened, why I was unscouted, because he probably wouldn't know, and at that point I didn't really care, 'cause I didn't think my art was that great anyways, and I wasn't actively uploading art so what's the point of being scouted.

If multiple people are having the same experience though, it may be a bug, so it's worth bringing up. Or maybe it's just a coincidence, I don't know lol

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-18 04:47:11

At 5/17/19 09:36 PM, artistunknown wrote: On June 7, 2018 I got a message from M-bot saying that XwaynecoltX scouted me

That’s ages ago.

and I went and did some research because I wanted to make sure it was legit

Yup, that’s a good idea.

Let’s go to the breakdown, though:

I recognized the name, since he reviewed several of my submissions rather favorably

There are a few users who are known by forum posts / reviews, but that doesn’t factor into whether they should be scouted.

Wayne is positive in all of his reviews, anyway.

he had a ton of scouts

Yessssssssssss I see the logic, but some people will scout anybody. It’s why mods are able to “castrate” because some users will just go crazy. They think they’re being nice but it wrecks quality control and we have to put up with people complaining about the quality of submissions.

he had a ton of reviews

This doesn’t factor into whether someone should be scouted, it just shows that you’re a good user.

What does factor in is:

and his own art was decent

I don’t think it’s the right quality for the portal, which is why I pruned him last year.

If multiple people are having the same experience though, it may be a bug, so it's worth bringing up. Or maybe it's just a coincidence, I don't know lol

I’m fairly sure the two above me are a consequence of a deleted account. People’s ability to delete accounts has gotten easier because there’s buttons on their profiles, and the scouting tree is larger and more developed. I don’t think it’s a bug, but it’s a problem with the system that needs fixing.

BBS Signature

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-18 05:46:43

At 5/18/19 04:47 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I’m fairly sure the two above me are a consequence of a deleted account. People’s ability to delete accounts has gotten easier because there’s buttons on their profiles, and the scouting tree is larger and more developed. I don’t think it’s a bug, but it’s a problem with the system that needs fixing.

I was just thinking, the way this system is currently setup makes pruning really strong, as pruning one user gets rid of their whole branch in the scouting tree. For the branch, deleting the account is pretty much the same as pruning, so is there really a way to make the deleting account less detrimental to the branch without making pruning weaker. In my opinion pruning should stay quite strong.

I remember the discussion about possibility of needing multiple scouts, but that could have issues depending how it is implemented. If anyone can scout anyone that could make the scouting net super stable. That would also create the possibility that stable blobs are formed that are wholly disconnected from the main net. As an example, let's say there are 50 or so bad, normally scouted, users that start to scout each other to keep their required amonut of scouts up. Let's say that their quality goes down so the rest of the users stop scouting them, so they get disconnected from the scouting net, but they stay scouted by keeping each other up. The real problem would come with pruning, because pruning one or two of those users would do absolutely nothing to break the web, so most of those users would have to be pruned by hand, because the web has to get really small until it breaks.

Better solution would be that you can't scout people that are you ancestors, preserving the tree aspect, preventing "scouting loops", but that would probably make scouting somewhat confusing, because it's not clear who you can scout and who you can't. This would still somewhat weaken pruning, but not as much.

Just quick thoughts from system building perspective.

I have a art thread here

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-18 08:41:49

At 5/18/19 04:47 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: That’s ages ago.

Yeah, I didn't realize how long ago it was, I could've sworn it happened this year but I guess my perception of time is that fucked lol

Yessssssssssss I see the logic, but some people will scout anybody. It’s why mods are able to “castrate” because some users will just go crazy. They think they’re being nice but it wrecks quality control and we have to put up with people complaining about the quality of submissions.

Yeah, I should've been more wary of that, I really should've checked the quality of the art of his scouts too.

This doesn’t factor into whether someone should be scouted, it just shows that you’re a good user.

I will keep this in mind next time someone tries to scout me (if that ever happens lol). His reviews are rather iffy too, so I don't know why I was so trusting, maybe it was just 'cause he reviewed so many of my things at the time, and still continues to.

I don’t think it’s the right quality for the portal, which is why I pruned him last year.

Well that would explain what happened then. He must've been rescouted pretty fast then 'cause he was still scouted when I checked, and he's currently still scouted, with 9 scouts.

I’m fairly sure the two above me are a consequence of a deleted account. People’s ability to delete accounts has gotten easier because there’s buttons on their profiles, and the scouting tree is larger and more developed. I don’t think it’s a bug, but it’s a problem with the system that needs fixing.

Ah, yeah that's probably why their scout lead back to "newgrounds staff", I didn't consider that.

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-21 17:40:14

So, yeah -- talked to MageRabbit, who said they'd been unscouted -- they didn't say why, but apparently that unscouted everyone that MageRabbit had scouted -- this really seems like a ridiculous system -- I mean, I understand the desire for some sort of quality control, but the current setup seems to assume that, if MageRabbit isn't worthy of scouting, then nobody MageRabbit scouted is worthy of scouting either -- & that's just absurd -- I honestly do not see how this system is any sort of guarantee of content quality, if perfectly good artists can get thrown out just because they got scouted by the "wrong" person...

Response to Can you be 'un-scouted'? 2019-05-21 18:08:32

At 5/21/19 05:40 PM, reuterworld wrote: I honestly do not see how this system is any sort of guarantee of content quality, if perfectly good artists can get thrown out just because they got scouted by the "wrong" person...

Those “perfectly good” artists would be snapped up by another person, as other people can see their ability.

BBS Signature