00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 3 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Best of April & New Content Filters

5,322 Views | 40 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Best of April & New Content Filters 2019-05-10 09:46:54

At 5/10/19 09:30 AM, liljim wrote:
At 5/9/19 09:40 PM, MarckEllo wrote: Whenever I change the settings to only Feed and Portal, their content still shows up.
Can I ask where this shows up? A URL would be handy.

It shows up in the art portal. I did the setup in https://www.newgrounds.com/account/content-settings I only want to block them in the art portal but it turns out (as I checked just now), turning off any of the options in the popup from clicking the pencil button (e.g. I turned off just chat) immediately puts the posts back in the art portal. Only by having them blocked completely without editing anything removes the post as intended.

peskytarian

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April & New Content Filters 2019-05-10 10:42:06

At 5/10/19 09:46 AM, MarckEllo wrote: It shows up in the art portal. I did the setup in https://www.newgrounds.com/account/content-settings I only want to block them in the art portal but it turns out (as I checked just now), turning off any of the options in the popup from clicking the pencil button (e.g. I turned off just chat) immediately puts the posts back in the art portal. Only by having them blocked completely without editing anything removes the post as intended.

Ahhh, whoops - could have sworn this was working properly at some point. Thanks for the detail, should be good now!

Response to Best of April & New Content Filters 2019-05-10 10:44:19

At 5/10/19 10:42 AM, liljim wrote:
At 5/10/19 09:46 AM, MarckEllo wrote: It shows up in the art portal. I did the setup in https://www.newgrounds.com/account/content-settings I only want to block them in the art portal but it turns out (as I checked just now), turning off any of the options in the popup from clicking the pencil button (e.g. I turned off just chat) immediately puts the posts back in the art portal. Only by having them blocked completely without editing anything removes the post as intended.
Ahhh, whoops - could have sworn this was working properly at some point. Thanks for the detail, should be good now!

Yep, it's working perfectly now. Thanks!

peskytarian

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April & New Content Filters 2019-05-12 03:22:43

At 5/7/19 05:52 PM, M0nk3m4n wrote: That was like newgroundsageddon for me. I sure made some disliked comments on those animations. lol

Just be lucky that nobody noticed. That would of been a thing.

At 5/7/19 06:07 PM, SolarFoxProductions wrote: Also congrats to this month's winners! Lots of interesting and unique stuff that was submitted in April.

You know it. That is how we do it.

It's great that you can filter content in art submissions, too. Now we don't have to keep hearing people complain about seeing fetish art they don't like in the forums. Which I sure most of us are getting tired of by now. ;)

It can be very useful at times. Maybe not all of us. lol

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April & New Content Filters 2019-05-12 04:22:34

At 5/12/19 03:22 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Just be lucky that nobody noticed. That would of been a thing.

Absolutely. The less bad press NG gets, the better. It is SO hard to turn people on/back on to this place! aahh

Just some dork who's loved NG since 2004, yet isn't very artistic himself. You should check out my massive favorites lists.

Response to Best of April & New Content Filters 2019-05-12 15:46:11

Congrats to the winners! Is there any price for the winners?

Now that we have filtering options, there should be a way to block tags/user posts on the art page itself.

It's really time consuming and inefficient to copy/paste every tag and user you want to block, then go the the account settings page every time.

And maybe user suggested tags could be implemented since not every user posts tags with the pieces.

Sleep so many dream, sugar prince.

لن أريكم مكان صنع عصير الليمون. నిమ్మకాయ లేదు.

BBS Signature

At 5/12/19 04:33 PM, JosephStarr wrote: It's really time consuming and inefficient to copy/paste every tag and user you want to block, then go the the account settings page every time.

Best bookmark that page; keep it handy at all times!

Honestly though I'm surprised so many people really want to self-censor themselves. it's like Google over DuckDuckGo. You don't know what you might be missing when results are all tailored according to prior opinions and preferences, and with time the content tied to specific tags and users is likely to change, but unlikely to be given a second chance on that block list. All good with the freedom, just feels like it's finna lead to a pretty biased browsing experience for all, and a conflict of freedom with regards to who you can reach out to and who you reach, as both creator and consumer.

Check out the NRC / Hexa #58 (Mar)

BBS Signature

At 5/14/19 06:05 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 5/12/19 04:33 PM, JosephStarr wrote: It's really time consuming and inefficient to copy/paste every tag and user you want to block, then go the the account settings page every time.
Best bookmark that page; keep it handy at all times!

Honestly though I'm surprised so many people really want to self-censor themselves. it's like Google over DuckDuckGo. You don't know what you might be missing when results are all tailored according to prior opinions and preferences, and with time the content tied to specific tags and users is likely to change, but unlikely to be given a second chance on that block list. All good with the freedom, just feels like it's finna lead to a pretty biased browsing experience for all, and a conflict of freedom with regards to who you can reach out to and who you reach, as both creator and consumer.

Well Cyber, there is a difference between certain companies/corporate giants and/or governments blocking some certain 'content' and users blocking the content themselves. Well that depends on what the user is blocking. If the user hates adult content, blocks it, then I don't blame them for that, besides not everyone likes adult content and it's still considered taboo with new comers coming in today, some old users are starting to notice it for the first time, or for people that never explored the internet long enough to know. Well you're right Cyber, that everything changes over time for the tagging system. Especially if the new users don't know a thing or two about the history of Adult content.

Unless the Newgrounds Wiki, makes the official tagging page dedicated to tags and users who posted art. That could help other new comers, other users to block certain content.

If I didn't like someone's content, I would rather block the user, but instead I don't care anymore, due to having less time on the internet and exploring less of the art pages.

I cared less about this stuff in general around late 2018/early 2019, but I’m aware that there was adult content on the internet before 2010.

Some people don't care about biased browsing because it happened since 2012 or earlier, not everyone comes in the internet to research certain stuff and tutorials that they need for daily use or to repair something, something.

Well some people have freedom to post content, other users are free to block the content as well. (For now) Well only the minority of users of the internet care about biased browsing (it's small and in vain).

Starr made it very clear that he hates adult-submitted art since last late September (a warning, a link into the thread below is the link to the art submission [probably NSFW] is what he called it a 'abomination' (I could be wrong on the date, so he's free to correct me on for the date, that the first time he noticed on NG), from time to time on the forums. I think that some other users (look at the middle of the thread) in there didn't know about his posts... Especially on one of the BBS posts, he mention the 'blacklist' tagging system to Tom...

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

At 5/14/19 03:05 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: Well Cyber, there is a difference between certain companies/corporate giants and/or governments blocking some certain 'content' and users blocking the content themselves. Well that depends on what the user is blocking. If the user hates adult content, blocks it, then I don't blame them for that, besides not everyone likes adult content and it's still considered taboo with new comers coming in today, some old users are starting to notice it for the first time, or for people that never explored the internet long enough to know. Well you're right Cyber, that everything changes over time for the tagging system. Especially if the new users don't know a thing or two about the history of Adult content.

If I didn't like someone's content, I would rather block the user, but instead I don't care anymore, due to having less time on the internet and exploring less of the art pages.

Some people don't care about biased browsing because it happened since 2012 or earlier, not everyone comes in the internet to research certain stuff and tutorials that they need for daily use or to repair something, something.
Well some people have freedom to post content, other users are free to block the content as well. (For now) Well only the minority of users of the internet care about biased browsing (it's small and in vain).

You're right that things have changed a lot the past few years, that this isn't the same as bigger companies controlling what we have access to - or personalizing content as per our consumption/browsing history (which I really don't like), that it's definitely become a more accepted practice, and that it is in part great that the users have this freedom. It's definitely better that someone be able to block a certain form of content or user, than constantly be aggravated when they see it, and maybe post some nasty reviews in response. I've always liked the age ratings too, and how easy they make it to filter content that's simply not proper depending on what place you might be browsing the site in. It's easy to toggle on and off, and doesn't feel so much as a form of blocking as a filter. Like searching for a specific form of content, rather than selectively choosing what you want to hide.

I guess what I'm saying here is I wish users would be a bit more open-minded, that they'd want to see content they're not necessarily interested in, and accept everything for what it is, choosing to focus on what they like within that stream rather than block what they don't. Some of the content's prone to be controversial or unlikable, but that's just the nature of art sometimes. Of course some topics or styles just might not be appealing to you no matter how much you're exposed to them either, but you'll know they're there. It'd be like touring the worn down parts of a city you visit rather than just the tourist area. You won't just get to see what you know you want to, but your experience will be all the richer, and maybe you'll stumble upon something you really love. The real culture of the place, unfiltered and wholesome. Good and bad.

In a way it's great if different content forms all get their own fanbase this way and keep thriving, if people divide themselves, but at the same time this want to get rid of certain content goes against the openness I'd like to see in the world overall. Understanding's the root to learning, and if people just block whatever they don't like they'll never understand it, or grow to appreciate it, or at the least: experience it. I draw a parallel to society as a whole here, but at the same time I do understand the need to filter the content you want to see when you only have so much time and effort to spend here. It's all priorities after all. Ease of consumption comes over personal development and broadening perspectives, and especially if you're here more to consume than explore, which is totally OK too.

As long as it's optional it's great. More power to the user. Personally I'd just really rather see everything, than fine tune it as I believe it might be best for me. Those preferences probably won't be the same tomorrow unless I intentionally make them stick, by staying away from content I still hadn't grown to appreciate.

Btw just noticed your quoted bits didn't carry across in the quote above, seems like NG cuts out nested quotes automatically now... did read those too, though! Good info.

BBS Signature

Accidentally responded to my post instead of editing it. :7 Feel free to delete this.

BBS Signature