00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LFCLIAM96 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Swivel Troubleshooting Thread

207 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Swivel Troubleshooting Thread 2019-05-03 20:40:52

I don't see any threads dedicated to just troubleshooting Swivel and found multiple ones talking about individual problems so I figured I'd go ahead and start one just for general troubleshooting. I know that when Swivel fails to render a video it'll display a screen with the bug report and instruct you to send it to Mike [I think, it's been so long since I've seen it I don't remember] but in my case, Swivel seizes up and freezes, refuses to respond & I'm forced to shut it down. The parameters I use are the following:

Render quality: High

Bitmap Smoothing: Yes

Video Size: 3840 x 2160

Scale mode: Stretch to Fit

Transparent Background: No

Video Codec: H.264 High

Video Bitrate: Lossless

Audio Source: Extract from SWF

Audio Channels: AAC

Audio Bitrate: 320 kbps

No overlays whatsoever.

Source file: https://uploads.ungrounded.net/665000/665465_ghostbusters-killed-god-2.swf?1446340855

Since 2016 I've always wanted to render that SWF to 2160p but Swivel would always crash somewhere in the middle like it did today. Back then I was running an i7 4771 and now I'm running a Ryzen. I always assumed it was a hardware issue since Intel is known for spreading toothpaste on their CPU dies and my fans would always scream like jet engines while under load. AMD's CPUs, however, come with solder on the die instead of thermal paste, and my temperatures never exceeded 66 degrees Celsius on this latest render attempt. Nevertheless, Swivel crashed anyway so I can only assume that it's the software's fault.

Probably doesn't help that your swf is 9 times the size of Waterlollies, or that you're doing the most taxing animation possible (moving bitmaps + blur).

Some unrelated but common Swivel issues:

Issue: Swivel Stops Recording Audio

Solution: Do not listen to any other audio or music while converting with swivel.

Issue: Pixelly Video File When Upscaling from a Lower Resolution .Swf

Solution: Your VCam should not be converting to bitmap. Here's an AS3 VCam (Flash CS3 to CC) I modded to upscale properly. @ me if you need an AS2 one.