00:00
00:00

MWC19 - May- Discussion

1,287 Views | 72 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-09 12:46:57

At 7/5/19 06:20 PM, ForNoReason wrote: You're a good bro Fro. I'm glad you didnt die that one time everyone thought you died.

What....? Fro was assumed to be dead one time? When did this happen?

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-09 12:52:00

At 7/9/19 12:46 PM, 123survesh wrote:
At 7/5/19 06:20 PM, ForNoReason wrote: You're a good bro Fro. I'm glad you didnt die that one time everyone thought you died.

Oh god I forgot about that... someone made me a god damn audio submission mourning my death at one point.

Hey, @ForNoReason did you once send me something in the mail one time? For some reason I'm thinking of some sort of action figure or something that I won from you. Could be someone else though.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-09 12:58:39

At 7/9/19 12:52 PM, Fro wrote:
Oh god I forgot about that... someone made me a god damn audio submission mourning my death at one point.

Wow epic....! Sorry Fro, it should have been disturbing. But if it was a friend, that's a cool way to prank someone.

iu_38566_5352694.gif

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-09 12:59:22

Hey, @ForNoReason did you once send me something in the mail one time? For some reason I'm thinking of some sort of action figure or something that I won from you. Could be someone else though.

I forget exactly the scenario, but I had left my laptop open and a bunch of tabs open back in college. 2008 or 2009 or something like that. My roommate made a whole punch of random facebook posts and did little pranks such as faking my death and posting about it on a newspost on my newgrounds account. I was on a spring break and they had stayed back at the college where I had went home for break.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-09 13:01:46

At 7/9/19 12:59 PM, Fro wrote:

I forget exactly the scenario, but I had left my laptop open and a bunch of tabs open back in college. 2008 or 2009 or something like that. My roommate made a whole punch of random facebook posts and did little pranks such as faking my death and posting about it on a newspost on my newgrounds account. I was on a spring break and they had stayed back at the college where I had went home for break.

Hahaha, you have epic friends !!!!

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-13 12:00:19

It was Chun Li right? I dont remember what it was for... but I'm sure I remember sending that to you.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-17 11:17:05

At 7/13/19 12:00 PM, ForNoReason wrote:

It was Chun Li right? I dont remember what it was for... but I'm sure I remember sending that to you.

Yeah that's it. I'm pretty sure that I got rid of it recently when I moved. I had that along with a bunch of other newgrounds figurines that I bought, but they got crushed one day. (I had everything in the original package) So whatever wasn't broken I gave to my daughter to play with and whatever broke I tossed in the garbage.

My poor knights, tankman, and penicorn. :(

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-21 05:56:50

Penicorn, what a blast from the past :D

So, any plans on the art competition?

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-23 15:54:50

At 7/21/19 05:56 AM, DeSaGames wrote: Penicorn, what a blast from the past :D

So, any plans on the art competition?

Very soon, sorry I've been backed up, but I'm working on it!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-26 19:27:21

At 6/8/19 04:04 PM, 123survesh wrote: Any new script writers in the mix? How was your experience writing scripts instead of just writing stories? I found writing scripts a bit different from writing stories. Like it took too long to make a point. As you have to make the characters actually act out the scenes. There were moments where I just wanted to write that, "the main character did this and the others reacted in a certain way", and just finish the script there.
How did you guys feel?

I found myself imagining how the animation would work; what it would look like etc as I went along. I found myself creating a story that could be animated reasonably easily, as if I were planning to animate it. Regardless of whether I win, I would LOVE to see mine animated. The idea of the loong morphing into an actual loong, etc ; the idea of making an actual animated character out of the chinese written character appeals to me. I wish I had the skills and the time and I WOULD do it myself!

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-26 23:53:24

At 7/26/19 07:27 PM, IceDragon64 wrote:

I found myself imagining how the animation would work; what it would look like etc as I went along. I found myself creating a story that could be animated reasonably easily, as if I were planning to animate it.

That is just awesome I would say. You know why, because thats the basic criteria the stories for this topic should satisfy. I did not stop to think much about that, as I was just so stuck with getting the story out in a script format and completely missed it 😅. Thanks for sharing IceDragon64.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-30 12:18:36

At 6/8/19 04:04 PM, 123survesh wrote: Any new script writers in the mix? How was your experience writing scripts instead of just writing stories? I found writing scripts a bit different from writing stories. Like it took too long to make a point. As you have to make the characters actually act out the scenes. There were moments where I just wanted to write that, "the main character did this and the others reacted in a certain way", and just finish the script there.
How did you guys feel?

Been script writing for a while, but I get the instinct of just feeling like writing out a description of the scene instead of going through the scene bit by bit. What I find helpful is to break down the writing process into a couple of steps. I start off with just free associating stuff to figure out which story I want to tell, after I figure out the general beats of the narrative then I write out the story in the "Main character does this and everyone reacts this way" fashion, occasionally taking notes on small details I'd like to have in the scene.

After I have the skeleton I write a Dogshit draft, something that no one will ever see, something that I probably won't reread, just something to get a test run through the narrative. Scenes drag on for too long, strong emotional beats flop, but after the DS draft is finished I at least have something to criticise with a handful of new ideas popping up during writing.

After the DS draft I take a quick stab at another project to clear my head and after a week or two I rewrite the whole thing from scratch keeping the stuff that I remember liking and changing the stuff that didn't work. Then rewrite, rewrite, rewrite.

I reckon there's a bit less leeway on thematic focus when it comes to scripts. With prose you can write a weak story, but if your ideas are strong, if you provoke the reader into thinking about stuff, then people will still read it. Scripts need a narrative through-line to keep the audience going.

Was a blast making something for this contest! Writing with a concrete timeline but without too much pressure is my go to path to actually getting stuff written :'D

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-08-09 18:21:38

BBS Signature