00:00
00:00

MWC19 - May- Discussion

1,331 Views | 73 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-08 18:57:32

At 6/8/19 04:04 PM, 123survesh wrote: Any new script writers in the mix? How was your experience writing scripts instead of just writing stories? I found writing scripts a bit different from writing stories. Like it took too long to make a point. As you have to make the characters actually act out the scenes. There were moments where I just wanted to write that, "the main character did this and the others reacted in a certain way", and just finish the script there.
How did you guys feel?

This is my second-ish one in a long while. In comparison, this is shorter as the other one was long and written to past the time during summer break from school.

--

@Fro I know you said it wouldn't be fair to have participants be judges and all but what if participants judge all entries except their own? That can help take the load off a single person.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-09 16:18:19

I have officially submitted my entry. This time I didn't give up (well, not for long). It's probably pretty crappy, but hopefully it'll bring those who read it a little enjoyment. Point is, I did something, and that's progress. I saw this through. I'm satisfied no matter the results. Speaking of, did you ever find those other judges?

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-09 16:20:19

At 6/8/19 04:04 PM, 123survesh wrote: Any new script writers in the mix? How was your experience writing scripts instead of just writing stories? I found writing scripts a bit different from writing stories. Like it took too long to make a point. As you have to make the characters actually act out the scenes. There were moments where I just wanted to write that, "the main character did this and the others reacted in a certain way", and just finish the script there.
How did you guys feel?

Oh, dude, same! I tried to do it more through dialogue, though. But yeah, using an objective perspective for storytelling is hard af. I may have gone a tad too wordy, but time will tell. Good luck!

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-10 16:05:30

Really glad to be taking part in these competitions again. I haven't submitted anything since January's one. I really enjoyed writing this piece, I've never written a 'script' before instead of just prose. Hopefully from now on I'll start writing earlier on from now on instead of leaving everything till the last two or three days before the deadline. Enjoyed reading the submissions by you guys, they're all so varied and original.

Hope my submission isn't too short. I was going to write a stand alone piece but it sort of ballooned into a bigger story so I had to chop it up into smaller parts, so I just wrote a pilot episode instead. I have a vague idea of where the other episodes might go but I probably won’t get the chance to actually write them. I’m going to start writing for next month’s competition as soon as I can. Good luck to you guys!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-10 21:27:12

Finally.

FINE. UH. LEEEEEEEEEEEEE. (I finished)

Oh my god. That took forever. I was working for what felt like forever. I've been busy and then not-so-busy and still procrastinating. I worked weekends and 12 hour shifts and got moved around where I work and this and that and depression and downhill battles and galactic car rides.

Everyday stuff.

I present to you: The City.

I hope everyone enjoys it ! Let me know what you think !

The Problems of the Future, Today!

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-10 21:50:50 (edited 2019-06-10 21:50:59)

At 6/8/19 04:04 PM, 123survesh wrote: Any new script writers in the mix? How was your experience writing scripts instead of just writing stories? I found writing scripts a bit different from writing stories.

First one I ever wrote, and gosh darn it was difficult.

I remembered back to when I was in the school play and how that script was written. That's pretty much my premise for the script itself.

How did you guys feel?

It's totally difficult trying to juggle camera views and dialogue and settings and scenes and blah blah blah.

It's like you're actually directing something, instead of just telling a story. You have to be sure to get your point across without being too lengthy with the script, whereas with writing you can pretty much do anything you want. So, basically, instead of writing that there's something of significance, you have to direct that there's something of significance.

writing: There was a plain-looking vase on the table, but its significance is that of a family heirloom to the main character. He bumped into it and sent it sprawling across the floor by accident, and, in a crazy twist of fate, the vase contained a map that his father had left behind.

scripting: there's a vase on the table, slightly near the edge

the Main Character absentmindedly bumps into the table and sends the vase flying towards the middle of the floor where it shatters

[overhead camera view of the casualty]

Main Character: "Noooooo!!!! My father's prized vase!" runs over to the vase, sobbing, picking up the pieces

[camera closes in on the shattered pieces]

the Main Character notices that there's a map inside the remnants of his father's once prized possession

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-10 22:14:50

Did I win yet?

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-10 23:12:15

At 6/10/19 10:14 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Did I win yet?

Who knows, I haven't read a single word yet.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-12 17:56:55

At 6/10/19 11:12 PM, Fro wrote:

And to be more specific I'm not going to read these for about a week. My spouse is leaving in a week to do research in another country for the summer and my daughter is heading out to the grandparents so I'm going to be spending all of my spare time with them.

Then I'll binge read these fairly quickly after that.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-12 23:41:08

At 6/12/19 05:56 PM, Fro wrote:
And to be more specific I'm not going to read these for about a week. My spouse is leaving in a week to do research in another country for the summer and my daughter is heading out to the grandparents so I'm going to be spending all of my spare time with them.

Take your time, dude.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-13 02:54:38

At 6/12/19 11:41 PM, TheVanillaLog wrote:
At 6/12/19 05:56 PM, Fro wrote:

Take your time, dude.

Yeah I was just being a smart ass. Take your time and do your thing.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-17 18:20:22

This really was a badass contest, so I bet all us contestants are pumped as fuck :b

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-24 11:27:29

Alright, I'm thinking I'll get them finished by tomorrow night and have the results posted by Wednesday. Then I'll try and set up the next step of the contest.

Just trying to think of what the next step should be. There's a big audio competition going on right now so perhaps we should go to voice acting section?

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-24 11:33:29

I think Voice Acting would be a good idea to have next. Having the VA could help shape the character designs

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-27 22:07:24

At 6/24/19 11:27 AM, Fro wrote:
Just trying to think of what the next step should be. There's a big audio competition going on right now so perhaps we should go to voice acting section?

Definitely character art.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-28 02:46:51

At 6/27/19 10:07 PM, Xinxinix wrote:

Yeah I also feel like that'd be the way to go.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-28 08:10:29

These are taking a lot longer than usual for some reason. I'm over half way through them.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-28 10:11:03

At 6/28/19 02:46 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote:
At 6/27/19 10:07 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
Yeah I also feel like that'd be the way to go.

That makes sense.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-01 00:36:34

I did it, made the final standings. I will post them tomorrow from my work computer.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-01 03:02:28

At 7/1/19 12:36 AM, Fro wrote: I did it, made the final standings. I will post them tomorrow from my work computer.

Yay!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-01 19:30:58

So possibly an unpopular opinion on my voting coming up, but my choices are made.

I don't think my top three winners were necessarily the best written scripts, but I do think my top three winners truly captured the essence of newgrounds. And well, this competition was to create an original script for a short pilot episode of an animation of new character in hopes of it becoming a newgrounds original.

I had a hard time reading some of the scripts, but all in all most of everyone created very good scripts with descriptive scenes that were all around very well written. That's enough talking, on to the winners.

1) @Unabated

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26342302_post_text

I mean, does this not scream newgrounds to you? Funny and random nonsense paired with immature, but humorous jokes. The style represented something you would see along side animations such as South Park or other comedy central toons. Not necessarily the best script out of the batch, but all in all I think this truly captured what it means to be a Newgrounder.

2) @TheWhaleAnimation

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26344432_post_text

This one left me saying, "I want to see how this turns out." That's exactly what I think a pilot episode should do. Interesting concept, good writing skills, and some good humor sprinkled in. This has a lot of potential to tell a very interesting story.

3) @Phobotech

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26340425_post_text

Another one that I just need to see how it's continued. I'd love to see this made into a series and all around great stuff. Neutered sex slaves, aliens, and an unknown world of possible danger. One of the better script writings out of the bunch, but as a part of the Cyanide and Happiness team I wouldn't expect any less!

----------

So yeah, like I said. If this were to be just a script writing competition I think the results would have been much different. Many entries were interesting and extremely well written. These to me stuck out as the most newgroundish ones of the batch.

Please don't hurt me if you disagree. I had a difficult time judging this one. :P

In fact, other than the Halloween and June competition I'm not interested in running anymore competitions this year. I've become burned out. Instead I would like to work on a writing project with some interested parties and work on getting it published. I think we've started a nice little writing community and I want us to produce something that shows all of the hard work everyone has put into their writing abilities this year.

----------

Most people think the next step of this competition should be the concept art. If anyone wants to put in their input please let me know. I'm going to attempt to have all three places go through the entire process. I'm hoping that way at least one of them ends up as an animation! I'll take a few days off to collect myself on how it should be done.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-01 23:44:31

Yeah but what did you think of mine?

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-02 03:33:12

At 7/1/19 07:30 PM, Fro wrote: So possibly an unpopular opinion on my voting coming up, but my choices are made.

I don't think my top three winners were necessarily the best written scripts, but I do think my top three winners truly captured the essence of newgrounds. And well, this competition was to create an original script for a short pilot episode of an animation of new character in hopes of it becoming a newgrounds original.

I had a hard time reading some of the scripts, but all in all most of everyone created very good scripts with descriptive scenes that were all around very well written. That's enough talking, on to the winners.

1) @Unabated

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26342302_post_text

I mean, does this not scream newgrounds to you? Funny and random nonsense paired with immature, but humorous jokes. The style represented something you would see along side animations such as South Park or other comedy central toons. Not necessarily the best script out of the batch, but all in all I think this truly captured what it means to be a Newgrounder.

2) @TheWhaleAnimation

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26344432_post_text

This one left me saying, "I want to see how this turns out." That's exactly what I think a pilot episode should do. Interesting concept, good writing skills, and some good humor sprinkled in. This has a lot of potential to tell a very interesting story.

3) @Phobotech

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26340425_post_text

Another one that I just need to see how it's continued. I'd love to see this made into a series and all around great stuff. Neutered sex slaves, aliens, and an unknown world of possible danger. One of the better script writings out of the bunch, but as a part of the Cyanide and Happiness team I wouldn't expect any less!

Absolutely congratulations to all the winners, very well deserved! I doing think anyone's mad at you. I mean, I, personally, knew my script was garbage from the moment I started writing it. Uninspired plot, flat character, shortage of descriptiveness. Honestly I'm just wishing now that I'd made something more interesting, not even to win, just because I wish I'd gone all out and made something to be proud of. But, hey, I participated this time, so that's a start I guess. Next up is learning to write gud. Thanks for hosting the competition!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-02 07:22:23

At 7/1/19 07:30 PM, Fro wrote: Winners.

I dont have time to comment on the winners right now-- I'll read them later.

Please don't hurt me if you disagree. I had a difficult time judging this one. :P

This competition was SO useful.

I wouldnt have written a script otherwise-- Im just happy I was forced to use my creative juices because now I can use my script for whatever. I like to draw comics so Im seriously thinking about just drawing mine and making it a series.

In fact, other than the Halloween and June competition I'm not interested in running anymore competitions this year. I've become burned out. Instead I would like to work on a writing project with some interested parties and work on getting it published.

Ok ! Really depressed about hearing there's no more competitions until halloween, but ok ! Let me know if youre interested in working with me :-)

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-02 10:13:28

Yaay! Happy you liked my script!

Feels all good and fuzzy to get anywhere in a Newgrounds competition. Chilling around this website in the late 2000s is the most dominant influence on any of the creative work I do.

Looking forward to taking a peek at some of the other winners, I'll snag a peek at some point this week when work isn't crazy hectic.

On the note of the script I have the full thing up and running, it's four episodes in total each going around 8 pages or so, the locations are pretty limited and only an additional character or two are introduced after the first episode. If you fancy a read, here's episode 2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kaId3YKHRv1NpSl0Sn7r_c--FaWPphZJ/view?usp=sharing

As for the next step I reckon art is a pretty good direction. Can't help much with that since I have the hand-eye coordination of a toddler but looking forward to what the NG hive-mind can create!

Also, thanks for organising these competitions Fro! This is the first one I ever took part in, but I've been lurking around for a while. Awesome to see there's still people in the NG community encouraging people to make stuff. Hope the burnout cools off.

((Shameless plug: if you enjoyed the script there's a good chance you might enjoy Dinosaur Boy, a webseries that I wrote and produced about a crimefighting dinosaur, all the eps are on NG))

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-02 16:05:16 (edited 2019-07-02 16:06:18)

At 7/1/19 07:30 PM, Fro wrote:

In fact, other than the Halloween and June competition I'm not interested in running anymore competitions this year. I've become burned out. Instead I would like to work on a writing project with some interested parties and work on getting it published. I think we've started a nice little writing community and I want us to produce something that shows all of the hard work everyone has put into their writing abilities this year.

Sorry to hear there'll only be two more competitions. I know its hard on you but couldn't you make it every second month instead of every month, or get some more judges to help you grade the entries? In any case thanks for running these competitions, they're great encouragement to write.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-05 11:33:49

I've been so tired and sick as of recent that I'm having a hard time putting coherent sentences together. This is ever so evident after reading over the winners post that I made a few days ago. Forgive me, I'm just not in the write mind. Grammar mistakes galore.

At 7/1/19 11:44 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Yeah but what did you think of mine?

I was slightly confused when the bird was scuffling with the man in the bathroom, vanished, and then was dead in his pocket again later. I don't know if I read it wrong or if it was suppose to mean that the bird somehow died for real this time while he was fighting with it and somehow ended back up in his pocket without him noticing.

At 7/2/19 03:33 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote:

Absolutely congratulations to all the winners, very well deserved! I doing think anyone's mad at you. I mean, I, personally, knew my script was garbage from the moment I started writing it. Uninspired plot, flat character, shortage of descriptiveness. Honestly I'm just wishing now that I'd made something more interesting, not even to win, just because I wish I'd gone all out and made something to be proud of. But, hey, I participated this time, so that's a start I guess. Next up is learning to write gud. Thanks for hosting the competition!

I don't think yours or anyone else's script was garbage. I think it was well done, but I just had a hard time envisioning it in a pilot episode on newgrounds. A lot of times I have very good pieces that don't quite fit the theme.

Sometimes I wonder if people already had something in their mind that they wanted to write and try to match it with the theme of the month instead of creating something completely original in their mind. Not saying that's what you did though.

At 7/2/19 07:22 AM, Xinxinix wrote:
At 7/1/19 07:30 PM, Fro wrote: Winners.
I dont have time to comment on the winners right now-- I'll read them later.

This competition was SO useful.

I wouldnt have written a script otherwise-- Im just happy I was forced to use my creative juices because now I can use my script for whatever. I like to draw comics so Im seriously thinking about just drawing mine and making it a series.

These comments were very encouraging throughout the competition. I keep trying to throw in different themes and prompts that get people out of their comfort zone.

Ok ! Really depressed about hearing there's no more competitions until halloween, but ok ! Let me know if youre interested in working with me :-)

Yes, I want to work with everyone who's been participating. This weekend if I have the motivation I'll make a post about it.

At 7/2/19 10:13 AM, TheWhaleAnimation wrote: Yaay! Happy you liked my script!
Feels all good and fuzzy to get anywhere in a Newgrounds competition. Chilling around this website in the late 2000s is the most dominant influence on any of the creative work I do.
Looking forward to taking a peek at some of the other winners, I'll snag a peek at some point this week when work isn't crazy hectic.

On the note of the script I have the full thing up and running, it's four episodes in total each going around 8 pages or so, the locations are pretty limited and only an additional character or two are introduced after the first episode. If you fancy a read, here's episode 2.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kaId3YKHRv1NpSl0Sn7r_c--FaWPphZJ/view?usp=sharing

I'll try and read it a bit later. I really wanted to know where you were going with this.

As for the next step I reckon art is a pretty good direction. Can't help much with that since I have the hand-eye coordination of a toddler but looking forward to what the NG hive-mind can create!

But you can help by judging the art!

Also, thanks for organising these competitions Fro! This is the first one I ever took part in, but I've been lurking around for a while. Awesome to see there's still people in the NG community encouraging people to make stuff. Hope the burnout cools off.

And hopefully you participate in some other newgrounds activities as well.

((Shameless plug: if you enjoyed the script there's a good chance you might enjoy Dinosaur Boy, a webseries that I wrote and produced about a crimefighting dinosaur, all the eps are on NG))

I'll also check these out later.

At 7/2/19 04:05 PM, LiamRomK wrote:

Sorry to hear there'll only be two more competitions. I know its hard on you but couldn't you make it every second month instead of every month, or get some more judges to help you grade the entries? In any case thanks for running these competitions, they're great encouragement to write.

I could, but maybe again next year. If someone else wants to run the competitions they can, but at the moment I think I want to do a project or two with everyone instead.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-05 18:20:41

You're a good bro Fro. I'm glad you didnt die that one time everyone thought you died.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-05 19:58:16

Thank you so much for the good words. I appreciate the opportunity. I am so stoked I am at a massive loss of words.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-07-05 20:07:30

Thank you so much for all the kind words. I am really excited for the opportunity and I am excited to start taking the next steps.