00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Snooze34 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MWC19 - May- Discussion

4,140 Views | 73 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-01 14:34:36

Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the March Writing Competition in this thread.

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-02 05:54:21

Hello! I think I shall partake in this. My character's probably gonna be derivative af, I'm almost certainly gonna draw at least aesthetic inspiration from my favorite NG toons, but we'll see.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-02 12:01:27

At 5/2/19 05:54 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: Hello! I think I shall partake in this. My character's probably gonna be derivative af, I'm almost certainly gonna draw at least aesthetic inspiration from my favorite NG toons, but we'll see.

I can't wait to read it. I think this is going to be the most interesting competition this year and if it works out well I'm going to repeat it every year.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-02 18:15:24

Sorry Fro, I had said I would do this month, but my Mum is in Hospital so time is short. I had the idea planned and I had just actually created the Discussion thread - and was about to create the Entry thread, when I discovered you had kindly beaten me to it! I will do next month if you want :)

I thought Feb is Love, March is Marching April is fool, so May can be about Permission.... Never mind, next year !

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-02 18:23:28

I've just read the Entry thread. You're a bit nuts, aren't you? If you want to get a job done, give it to a busy person ! It looks like a good idea, but complicated and ambitious. I will try to come up with something new and original. I have to get back to trying to write poetry- the deadline for the local competition is SOON !

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-03 09:34:52

You saw that you won the last competition right? Nobody responded to the thread that I made so I was unsure. Since nobody responds to them in the general forum I'll keep them posted in the writing forum. I thought maybe in the general forum we would bring more attention to the competitions.

At 5/2/19 06:15 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Sorry Fro, I had said I would do this month, but my Mum is in Hospital so time is short. I had the idea planned and I had just actually created the Discussion thread - and was about to create the Entry thread, when I discovered you had kindly beaten me to it! I will do next month if you want :)

I thought Feb is Love, March is Marching April is fool, so May can be about Permission.... Never mind, next year !

Yes, please feel free to do the next one. That will give me a much needed breather. I usually just copy/paste the old one into an old news post and make appropriate adjustments. There I can preview it a couple of times and make sure that there's no glaring mistakes like an incorrect month or due date.

At 5/2/19 06:23 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: I've just read the Entry thread. You're a bit nuts, aren't you? If you want to get a job done, give it to a busy person ! It looks like a good idea, but complicated and ambitious. I will try to come up with something new and original. I have to get back to trying to write poetry- the deadline for the local competition is SOON !

I figured at the pace I'm going I'll be dead within the year so might as well go out with a big one. :)

Good luck on the local competition. Please let us know how it goes.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-03 20:12:49

At 5/3/19 09:34 AM, RoboFrobo wrote: You saw that you won the last competition right? Nobody responded to the thread that I made so I was unsure. Since nobody responds to them in the general forum I'll keep them posted in the writing forum. I thought maybe in the general forum we would bring more attention to the competitions.

At 5/2/19 06:15 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Sorry Fro, I had said I would do this month, but my Mum is in Hospital so time is short. I had the idea planned and I had just actually created the Discussion thread - and was about to create the Entry thread, when I discovered you had kindly beaten me to it! I will do next month if you want :)

Yes, please feel free to do the next one. That will give me a much needed breather. I usually just copy/paste the old one into an old news post and make appropriate adjustments. There I can preview it a couple of times and make sure that there's no glaring mistakes like an incorrect month or due date.

At 5/2/19 06:23 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: I've just read the Entry thread. You're a bit nuts, aren't you? If you want to get a job done, give it to a busy person ! It looks like a good idea, but complicated and ambitious. I will try to come up with something new and original. I have to get back to trying to write poetry- the deadline for the local competition is SOON !
I figured at the pace I'm going I'll be dead within the year so might as well go out with a big one. :)

Yes I did, but I am so bogged down with Mum and stuff I just Liked it. I have told EVERYBODY !

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-03 20:15:11

At 5/3/19 09:34 AM, RoboFrobo wrote: You saw that you won the last competition right? Nobody responded to the thread that I made so I was unsure. Since nobody responds to them in the general forum I'll keep them posted in the writing forum. I thought maybe in the general forum we would bring more attention to the competitions.

--- Will do.

--- You have to look after yourself for your whole family's sake.

--- Too late :(

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-04 17:58:26

This is a cool idea. Does it have to be a pilot or can it be a short story? Also, will there be a separate contest for who animates it? How does that get determined?

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-04 18:44:56

At 5/1/19 02:34 PM, RoboFrobo wrote: Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the March Writing Competition in this thread.

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD.

Oh jeez, how "original" are you talking about?

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-05 21:55:27

I didn't participate last time because life and whatnot, but I have a good idea for a cartoon. I like drawing, so I'm hoping I can at least do some concept art and storyboarding for the cartoon if I win a place.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-06 09:56:39

At 5/4/19 05:58 PM, MOC-Productions wrote: This is a cool idea. Does it have to be a pilot or can it be a short story? Also, will there be a separate contest for who animates it? How does that get determined?

It can be either a pilot or a stand alone short story.

The idea is to make the contest up as I go. :P I'm hoping to run the additional competitions like I do this one. Once the winners are chosen we'd go to the art contest and the winner of the writing competition would join the judging panel for the art, the winner of the art panel would join the judging panel, etc... etc...

Chances are I'd have to come up with money by the time that we get to the animation part though. Maybe I'll be able to, maybe Tom can help me with that. We'll do that when it comes time because there's no reason to plan out money if we don't gather interest from across the website.

At 5/4/19 06:44 PM, akoronthebastard wrote:
At 5/1/19 02:34 PM, RoboFrobo wrote: Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the March Writing Competition in this thread.

Oh jeez, how "original" are you talking about?

Like a character that you made up and isn't already created like Sonic, Pico, Madness, Pikachu, etc... Just someone that really only exists in your mind or maybe in some of your writings.

At 5/5/19 09:55 PM, ZetoSoul wrote: I didn't participate last time because life and whatnot, but I have a good idea for a cartoon. I like drawing, so I'm hoping I can at least do some concept art and storyboarding for the cartoon if I win a place.

Even if you don't win in the writing section you can participate in the art section of the competition.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-08 12:32:21

You think that a short story would still help for an outline of an animated short?

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-08 12:37:16

At 5/8/19 12:32 PM, TheInnerScience wrote: You think that a short story would still help for an outline of an animated short?

I think so.

As long as the dialogue and description is there.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-10 02:27:41

At 5/8/19 12:37 PM, RoboFrobo wrote:
At 5/8/19 12:32 PM, TheInnerScience wrote: You think that a short story would still help for an outline of an animated short?
I think so.

As long as the dialogue and description is there.

Gotcha. Still gonna shoot for a manuscript format, as I've never written one. My tendencies when writing short stories might bleed over a little bit.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-10 17:31:46

--- Too late :(

NO. It was NOT too late. The deadline was this evening and because it was poetry, I couldn't be bothered. I MADE myself have a go because entries are important. If I don't expect to win with the entry I knocked together in half an hour, at least someone else can win. People- enter stuff, especially if its FREE- its all good experience. !!

I entered with a whole two hours to spare! I'm not even sure if it is what I would call poetry, but who knows? It might still win!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-12 14:48:15

I posted a thing in the other thread

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-15 19:00:35

Is it okay to write a parody of something specific? Or even a genre parody/satire? The characters would be original.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-15 19:12:32

At 5/15/19 07:00 PM, EntertheJebus wrote: Is it okay to write a parody of something specific? Or even a genre parody/satire? The characters would be original.

That sounds fine! Just looking for the original character really.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-23 10:22:16

Im excited.

Ive been cooking this one in my head for a minute (and also procrastinating as all hell) but Im mostly excited to read everyone else's ideas.

17 days(ish?)

I'll be there. (hopefully.)

*xin laugh*

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-24 20:34:54

I here a lot of talk about an art section thread for the competition, any idea where that is at, or is it just not up at this time?

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-24 20:41:47 (edited 2019-05-24 20:42:13)

At 5/24/19 08:34 PM, zachselsior wrote: I here a lot of talk about an art section thread for the competition, any idea where that is at, or is it just not up at this time?

I'm not going to create that thread until the winner of this competition is announced.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-26 22:40:56

I was wondering how detailed should our scripts be? For some places in my script I merely describe what is being said. This is only do to me wanting to get the story down first and I plan to go back and add in these changes/touch ups.

Here is a small example of what I mean.

iu_29724_7468550.png

Once I get my pilot done should I still enter if I don't exactly have the full details for some parts like in the picture? Or should I wait until I can get all those parts filled in.

I feel like maybe I should wait till I have all the parts filled in but I still wanted to ask just in case.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-27 15:54:36

At 5/26/19 10:40 PM, HickoryCross wrote: I was wondering how detailed should our scripts be? For some places in my script I merely describe what is being said. This is only do to me wanting to get the story down first and I plan to go back and add in these changes/touch ups.

Once I get my pilot done should I still enter if I don't exactly have the full details for some parts like in the picture? Or should I wait until I can get all those parts filled in.

I feel like maybe I should wait till I have all the parts filled in but I still wanted to ask just in case.

Make it as complete as possible and if your submission is picked as the winner you can finish it up after the fact for the next steps.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-27 23:32:58

At 5/27/19 03:54 PM, RoboFrobo wrote:
At 5/26/19 10:40 PM, HickoryCross wrote: I was wondering how detailed should our scripts be? For some places in my script I merely describe what is being said. This is only do to me wanting to get the story down first and I plan to go back and add in these changes/touch ups.

Make it as complete as possible and if your submission is picked as the winner you can finish it up after the fact for the next steps.

Ooooh I see thank you!

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-31 10:36:10

Question: Who has legal ownership of the characters and the animation? Since it becomes a team of people working on the project, I'm thinking about the legality of the whole thing.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-31 10:54:35

At 5/31/19 10:36 AM, ZetoSoul wrote: Question: Who has legal ownership of the characters and the animation? Since it becomes a team of people working on the project, I'm thinking about the legality of the whole thing.

You know, I didn't think about that. Technically nobody has any legal rights unless they went through a copyright registration. Also, copyright is created upon creation of said work... so I guess the character is technically the writers? Technically the teams all together? I really don't know...

It's probably something I want to stay out of and let up for the group who ends up working together decide, but I will try and do some research on it so I can at least provide some feedback and information to those before the end of this process.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-05-31 12:19:17

Looking at the original post in the Entry Thread I probably misspoke when I said that all 3 places would get a chance at having their submission animated. That would be a bit ambitious to try and organize.

So sorry in advance, but the prizes will be supporter status for all and the 1st place moves on to the next steps.

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-07 12:08:22

Since the winning script will be made into an animation, do you think we should take it easy on 'action' scenes and focus as much as possible just on characters talking? I'd imagine that too much movement and action would be difficult and lengthy to animate.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May- Discussion 2019-06-08 16:04:16

Any new script writers in the mix? How was your experience writing scripts instead of just writing stories? I found writing scripts a bit different from writing stories. Like it took too long to make a point. As you have to make the characters actually act out the scenes. There were moments where I just wanted to write that, "the main character did this and the others reacted in a certain way", and just finish the script there.

How did you guys feel?