00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

need help with age rating system

317 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

need help with age rating system 2019-04-22 11:19:02

i am new to this site and i am uploading bunch of my art here. i ran into trouble with a drawing depicting a pretty nasty looking zombie thing (not gory, just very disturbing looking thing), and i have no idea how i should go on about setting the ratings. i was unable to find any general guidelines for what each of the ratings covers

Response to need help with age rating system 2019-04-22 12:18:24

It's most likely fine for Teen or Everybody depending on the amount of "disturbing" features. Blood, etc..

When submitting just answer the Nudity, Violence, Explicit Text, Adult Themes and I'm sure it'll fall into the right category. If there's some blood and you think it's a little disturbing to younger viewers than maybe teen is the proper rating. There would be no harm in rating it teen when it's borderline between the two categories.

For example,

If you think that doesn't answer you're question then you can direct a question towards an art moderator.

https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/site-moderation#wiki_toc_6

Perhaps, @TurkeyOnAStick

At 4/22/19 12:18 PM, Fro wrote: It's most likely fine for Teen or Everybody depending on the amount of "disturbing" features. Blood, etc..

When submitting just answer the Nudity, Violence, Explicit Text, Adult Themes and I'm sure it'll fall into the right category. If there's some blood and you think it's a little disturbing to younger viewers than maybe teen is the proper rating. There would be no harm in rating it teen when it's borderline between the two categories.

In terms of “Everybody”, “Teen”, “Mature” or “Adult”, my rule of thumb is:

Would I be ok with letting a little kid see this pic?

If not, would I be ok with letting a teenager see this pic?

If not, would I feel comfortable showing this pic to my dad?

It’s not so clear with gore and the “None”, “Some” and “Lots” grading system under Adult Themes, which is associated with “Everybody” “Teen” and “Mature” accordingly.

I think bowels, bones and blood (like the zombie above) can be fine for a teen.

Anything beyond that would be Mature.

If you’re unsure, just be conservative and give it a Mature rating. Somebody may change the rating, but at least you won’t upset an unwilling audience.

(PS If it goes into serious nightmare fuel, like sadistic-sexual or boiled dead babies in graphic detail, it may be worthwhile to (mis)rate the Nudity rating to “Lots” so that it’s given an Adult rating. However, you’re more likely to upset people looking for a wank)

BBS Signature