00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Threads About Studios and Software

195 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi. I want to post a thread inquiring about what 2D animation software the major animation studios use- I am interested in learning how to use it. Should I post the thread in the General forum, or would that be better suited for the Animation or Art forums?

Please let me know- thank you.

Response to Threads About Studios and Software 2019-04-18 06:29:12

At 4/18/19 04:09 AM, ngman7 wrote: Hi. I want to post a thread inquiring about what 2D animation software the major animation studios use-

Toon Boom would be the majority answer.

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

2D animation industry standard is Toonboom currently. There are some that still use Flash for Pre-production, and fewer still that hold on to Flash/Adobe Animate, but it's being phased out.

Having said that, it's still a good program to practice the fundamentals of animation, because it is quick. Even though it does have its problems, and gets a little crash-happy.

Additionally, I did hear about a prominently 3D animation software company, possibly Blender (I'm not 100% certain), is rolling out with a 2D competitor in the field. Last I heard it was still in beta, but keep your eyes peeled for murmurs about studios using that.

A good way to double check to stay updated on the industry demand for software experience is to browse through Artstation

https://www.artstation.com/jobs

These companies will tell you what they're looking for in experience when they post job listings.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Threads About Studios and Software 2019-04-18 12:56:56

At 4/18/19 06:29 AM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 4/18/19 04:09 AM, ngman7 wrote: Hi. I want to post a thread inquiring about what 2D animation software the major animation studios use-

This was the question I was going to post in a thread:

"Besides Flash and Toon Boom, what 2D animation software do most major animation studios use? Which ones should I learn?

According to what I read, a majority of the studios out there use either Toon Boom or Flash. 

What other software do the major studios use? 

I would like to learn how to use Flash, despite the fact online support for it is coming to an end next year. 

Toon Boom is rather expensive. 

I have heard of a program called OpenToonz but there's only one I have heard of that uses it: 

https://lifehacker.com/opentoonz-the-2d-animation-software-used-by-studio-ghi-1767833445 

I don't know of any others. 

Please help- thank you."

I went elsewhere and posed it and I was told:

"Some studios use the Maya software and the various Adobe software. Web browsers now use HTML5."

Response to Threads About Studios and Software 2019-04-18 18:02:12

Aren't a large number of studios still using Flash?

Response to Threads About Studios and Software 2019-04-18 19:01:38

Can you please just answer the question? Which forum should I post the thread in?

Response to Threads About Studios and Software 2019-04-18 19:17:02

At 4/18/19 07:01 PM, ngman7 wrote:
Can you please just answer the question? Which forum should I post the thread in?

I can’t answer the question about whether companies still use flash. As for which forum, probably the Animation one.

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Threads About Studios and Software 2019-04-18 21:59:00

At 4/18/19 07:17 PM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 4/18/19 07:01 PM, ngman7 wrote:
I can’t answer the question about whether companies still use flash. As for which forum, probably the Animation one.

Thank you.