00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Xin's "artwork" Thread

1,878 Views | 77 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Oh, I can start an artwork thread ? Ohkay.

I like to draw anime and comics. Practicing "people" is my go-to and I mainly draw with other people. Because of my job, taking breaks from drawing is essential, but I pick it up from time to time. An hour or two is about as much as I spend on a drawing, and I never color. I very much prefer traditional art, although I do own a tablet.

I guess the point of this thread is for me to practice and grow. So, as much as I'd like to, I'm going to refrain from posting any past drawings, and I'm going to try using references and colors to entice some criticism or feedback or useful tips.

In terms of requests (should I be so lucky) I'm willing to draw anything that's a person.

Thanks for stopping by !

I get that I can YouTube or w/e in order to get tips but I'm very much prone to receiving advice from a passerby, rather than a recording. (Many tutorials have been stalked by me for hours, just for me to come to the conclusion that these days I'm better off drawing instead of watching someone draw)

I'm hoping if I draw enough, I'll become better at anatomy and quickness. (And then move onto things like perspective and objects and finer details)

Muder My Meat:

Flames are tricky to draw, because in order to be creative you have to stray from the usual. But the usual is just so easy; you take your pencil and make a bunch of lobster claws, and stray claws, and there you have it.

iu_18701_1901976.jpg

A big breath of fresh air.

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-12 22:36:55

I rarely ever color.

Murder My Meat (colored):

Took a while to get used to coloring, tbh. Going to move onto drawing a chick from an anime.

Will post results.

iu_18912_1901976.jpg

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-13 00:14:50

Very interesting. You make use of a few simple perspectives and the characters seem well placed. Overall I like it. I have to say the human character's limbs seem a bit broken (most notably the shoulders, the legs and his left hand(our right) being reversed.) I feel like mostly everything else I could nitpick is just a matter of you just needing more practice.

As for the colored one, I would say try a different color for melt-face's face. That and fire is never really pure red. More of an orange hue with a white center. Typically anyway.

At 4/11/19 11:40 PM, Xinxinix wrote:

In terms of requests (should I be so lucky) I'm willing to draw anything that's a person.

Well, if you're asking here you go

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-13 09:41:53

At 4/13/19 12:14 AM, Spedmallet wrote: I have to say the human character's limbs seem a bit broken

As for the colored one, I would say try a different color for melt-face's face. That and fire is never really pure red. More of an orange hue with a white center. Typically anyway.

Awesome! Yeah, his right hand is backwards and limbs can be troubling for me.

I really, really do want to draw more fire and become much better with the colors and actual appearances.

As for your request-- how awesome! Yeah! Let me try. I'm going to get to work right away.

I seriously appreciate the feedback !

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-13 11:42:59

At 4/13/19 12:14 AM, Spedmallet wrote: Well, if you're asking here you go

Done! Just the concept art, and obviously her right arm isn't my fav.

Lmk what sticks out most ! I'll try fixing some smaller things while I'm hard-lining and coloring (because I love the color scheme, and need the practice, I'm definitely going to color it.)

iu_18994_1901976.jpg

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-13 20:29:37

At 4/13/19 11:42 AM, Xinxinix wrote:
At 4/13/19 12:14 AM, Spedmallet wrote: Well, if you're asking here you go
Done! Just the concept art, and obviously her right arm isn't my fav.

Lmk what sticks out most ! I'll try fixing some smaller things while I'm hard-lining and coloring (because I love the color scheme, and need the practice, I'm definitely going to color it.)

Hey, not bad. Dig the pose. My biggest observation is the torso could be less long and the legs a bit longer. Overall I really like it.

I wouldn't mind checking out some more of your characters. Keep it flowing fam.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-13 23:38:57

At 4/13/19 08:29 PM, Spedmallet wrote: Hey, not bad. Dig the pose. My biggest observation is the torso could be less long and the legs a bit longer. Overall I really like it.

I wouldn't mind checking out some more of your characters. Keep it flowing fam.

"My biggest observation is the torso could be less long and the legs a bit longer." <--- MY BIGGEST PROBLEM

I really need to let the torso be and allow the legs to be naturally long. I focus on the body so much that it ends up being too long and everything else too short-- it's such a big hurdle for me. Placing the location of hips and buttocks and then getting them to connect to the thighs is always difficult for me, too. Thanks for reminding me ! I never notice these things until I give it a day or two.

And totally ! I really just like drawing characters. It's something I never get bored of *shrug.* I'm going to attempt to fix it a tiny bit by finalizing the lines. Going to start coloring it and also working on Zero-Two from Darling in the Franxx.

Check back in with me once in a while ! Hopefully I show improvement in a few months. Your feedback has been more than helpful, man. I truly appreciate it.

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-14 14:55:32

I've had the same OC since I was 12. He original was a stick figure for many, many years lol.

And I'm still trying to get it right !

Xin:

I attempted to leave his legs longer and his torso shorter... which worked! But then his head is too big. So there are definitely some difficuties because of my previous proportions being off-- I have to remember to leave the head a tad smaller.

He's supposed to appear 5'7"ish... *shrug*

iu_19245_1901976.jpg

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-14 17:25:33 (edited 2019-04-14 17:29:47)

At 4/14/19 02:55 PM, Xinxinix wrote: I've had the same OC since I was 12. He original was a stick figure for many, many years lol.

And I'm still trying to get it right !

Xin:
I attempted to leave his legs longer and his torso shorter... which worked! But then his head is too big. So there are definitely some difficuties because of my previous proportions being off-- I have to remember to leave the head a tad smaller.

He's supposed to appear 5'7"ish... *shrug*

I'd say change his outfit. I'm not big on the onesie. Even if that's a deliberate thing you ought to give it some manner of detail. Even if it's as simple as adding seams, lose sections where the cloth folds, or some sort of emblem. Maybe even a peripheral like a belt or jacket or something.

Try to give yourself some more drawing room and illustrate arms in a less scrunched up way as well. I feel like a lot of times you draw the hands too close to the body.

I do definitely want to prop you on consistently drawing new and different poses though. When I started out I had a real problem with defaulting to a 3/4ths view on the same forward pose. I'd say keep up the varied figure drawing.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-14 21:06:23

At 4/14/19 05:25 PM, Spedmallet wrote: I'd say change his outfit. I'm not big on the onesie. Even if that's a deliberate thing you ought to give it some manner of detail. Even if it's as simple as adding seams, lose sections where the cloth folds, or some sort of emblem. Maybe even a peripheral like a belt or jacket or something.

Yeah, he's literally never worn a onesie during any occasion. I'm normally drawing him with others in comics and his go to is a t-shirt and pants lol. So I wanted to switch it up. I was ok with it, but you're right. This is more like a template, if you put it that way. I'm not very good at clothing concepts (which is why I prefer to draw others characters.) So, I'm going to toy with it a bit. I honestly don't know what to dress him in.

I wish I could print out this onesie and just play around with different clothing options.

The onesie was supposed to give him a "thief" feel, but instead you're making me feel like it's a unitard (rightfully so.) Maybe I should just look up some thief concepts. Rags, hoodie, and cargo pants, right ?

At 4/14/19 05:25 PM, Spedmallet wrote: Try to give yourself some more drawing room and illustrate arms in a less scrunched up way as well. I feel like a lot of times you draw the hands too close to the body.

Roger that. I do tend to draw the arms and hands really close to the body. I'll try something different to make my drawings feel like they're "fuller" and not so scrunchy.

At 4/14/19 05:25 PM, Spedmallet wrote: I do definitely want to prop you on consistently drawing new and different poses though. When I started out I had a real problem with defaulting to a 3/4ths view on the same forward pose. I'd say keep up the varied figure drawing.

Yeah, I hope to touch on all the variations humanly possible. My goal is to mix it up and challenge myself to the point where concept art is easier and more intriguing for me to draw. To where I can take someone's character, or my own, and display their personality in an interesting way.

I drew this over a year ago. If I could put it in a "spoiler" I would. It's about the only thief concept I have beyond drawing Xin over and over in a t-shirt and pants lol.

iu_19334_1901976.png

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-15 20:30:09 (edited 2019-04-15 20:31:49)

At 4/14/19 05:25 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
This is more like a template, if you put it that way. I'm not very good at clothing concepts (which is why I prefer to draw others characters.) So, I'm going to toy with it a bit. I honestly don't know what to dress him in.

What I find works the best for me is finding two or more outfits I really like and combining bits of them together.

Here's an example you might recognise:

(A healer outfit from ff14)

iu_19507_4266790.jpg

(The villian from ff9.)

iu_19508_4266790.jpg

You can get a lot of inspiration by just really thinking of what parts of an outfit you like.

I wish I could print out this onesie and just play around with different clothing options.

You know I was actually messing with a concept of that guy. And hey, what do you know, that's exactly what I had in mind too.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-16 18:32:56

At 4/15/19 08:30 PM, Spedmallet wrote: What I find works the best for me is finding two or more outfits I really like and combining bits of them together.

You can get a lot of inspiration by just really thinking of what parts of an outfit you like.

I do have some outfits from video games that I quite enjoy, too... I like the way you think.

I'm gonna be working on Xin for the rest of the day.

All it needs is color:

(and possibly figernails lol, but I gotta move onto coloring)

iu_19705_1901976.jpg

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-17 00:00:27

You've clearly got a lot of confidence in your linework, which is great.

honestly all you need to work on is refining anatomy, don't shy away from refs and life drawing.

Oh cool, I can add a signature!? Guess this'll have to do.

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-17 00:18:58

At 4/17/19 12:00 AM, Ploobul wrote: honestly all you need to work on is refining anatomy, don't shy away from refs and life drawing.

It's funny that you say that because I hate using references and doing life drawings.

I don't think I've used a reference in 5 or 6 years.

I definitely would like to try using them again, though !

I think I'll make it point to find some good ones and do some figure drawings. (do you have any suggestions on where I could find some beyond google or youtube ?)

Thanks !

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-17 00:31:31

At 4/17/19 12:18 AM, Xinxinix wrote:
At 4/17/19 12:00 AM, Ploobul wrote: honestly all you need to work on is refining anatomy, don't shy away from refs and life drawing.
It's funny that you say that because I hate using references and doing life drawings.

I don't think I've used a reference in 5 or 6 years.

I definitely would like to try using them again, though !

I think I'll make it point to find some good ones and do some figure drawings. (do you have any suggestions on where I could find some beyond google or youtube ?)

Thanks !

------------------

I mean, life drawing is just going outside and drawing the people you see, or going to a class or something.

If you find that to be too much of a pain, I usually go and watch olympic sports or wushu, honestly nothing better to practice movement and interesting poses, especially if you want cool action shots, simply just randomly pause the video and draw the poses you see.

For real though, wushu is awesome if you're looking for good fighting references.

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-17 01:57:03

Decent stuff, better than I could draw, certainly.

BBS Signature

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-17 14:58:12

At 4/17/19 12:31 AM, Ploobul wrote: I mean, life drawing is just going outside and drawing the people you see, or going to a class or something.

I can do that. There are tons of local coffee shops that I can spy on people with lol. I'm just afraid of anybody actually asking to see them.

I can save up money to take a class, too !

At 4/17/19 12:31 AM, Ploobul wrote: If you find that to be too much of a pain, I usually go and watch olympic sports or wushu, honestly nothing better to practice movement and interesting poses, especially if you want cool action shots, simply just randomly pause the video and draw the poses you see.

For real though, wushu is awesome if you're looking for good fighting references.

Wow. What an awesome suggestion !! That's like, perfect !

I'll let you know how it goes !

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-17 19:19:51

At 4/17/19 02:58 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
At 4/17/19 12:31 AM, Ploobul wrote: I mean, life drawing is just going outside and drawing the people you see, or going to a class or something.
I can do that. There are tons of local coffee shops that I can spy on people with lol. I'm just afraid of anybody actually asking to see them.

I can save up money to take a class, too !

At 4/17/19 12:31 AM, Ploobul wrote: If you find that to be too much of a pain, I usually go and watch olympic sports or wushu, honestly nothing better to practice movement and interesting poses, especially if you want cool action shots, simply just randomly pause the video and draw the poses you see.

Wow. What an awesome suggestion !! That's like, perfect !

I'll let you know how it goes !

eye please do, I'm curious to see the results! A lot of people practive in a fairly brute force way by drawing 100 small figures as a kind of challange, setting themselves fairly short time limits for each figure and pose, and the improvement from that method is honestly wild good.

I will say this though, the 100 figure method is pure pain and suffering for the first few figures, but if you do all right, I can say with a comfortable level of certainty that you'll notice a pretty damn good leap in your line confidence and figure drawing.

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-20 12:48:05 (edited 2019-04-20 12:51:05)

At 4/17/19 01:57 AM, Kehmicle wrote: Decent stuff, better than I could draw, certainly.

Just keep up the good work, man. Your games will get better in time just like my art will.

At 4/15/19 08:30 PM, Spedmallet wrote: You know I was actually messing with a concept of that guy.

You have an art thread, right?

You'll have to forgive me for the different coloring techniques I tried which turned out to look like shit. Turns out these color pencils don't blend the way I want to lol. (my bad.)

(Nothing is ever as vivid as I want it to be, so I might actually try using ink or marker or whatever the fuck.)

btw, going over a character in colored pencil shows me how off the anatomy is or what I would've done differently.

It's super fun.

iu_20462_1901976.jpg

oh, btw, you chose a color between blue and purple so I really couldn't have been tested more.

I knew I liked her color scheme for a reason.

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-20 13:37:18

Here's a version where I don't mess with the contrast so much.

iu_20470_1901976.jpg

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-20 13:46:52

At 4/20/19 12:48 PM, Xinxinix wrote: You have an art thread, right?

Naw. My biggest problem with that would be that 95% of all things I draw remain unfinished. Take this for example, I've been working on that for 6 months.

You'll have to forgive me for the different coloring techniques I tried which turned out to look like shit. Turns out these color pencils don't blend the way I want to lol. (my bad.)

I wouldn't have even noticed if you didn't say anything. I always found that colored pencils and markers never felt comfortable for me when coloring or shading. It's why I never really used them. I'm sure there's techniques out there that work but it's really hard to get the exact color you want unless you somehow amass a collection of 200-1000 markers/pencils. You can't blend them without putting them on the page first after all.

(Nothing is ever as vivid as I want it to be, so I might actually try using ink or marker or whatever the fuck.)

I would keep experimenting. The sky is the limit when it comes to different mediums. Have you ever thought about getting a tablet?

btw, going over a character in colored pencil shows me how off the anatomy is or what I would've done differently.

I actually gleamed this from writing advice, but it's practically universal. Always sleep on everything you make. When you come back a few days later you lose any biases you have.

oh, btw, you chose a color between blue and purple so I really couldn't have been tested more.
I knew I liked her color scheme for a reason.

I purposely chose colder colors for her color palette.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-20 14:23:31

At 4/20/19 01:46 PM, Spedmallet wrote: Naw. My biggest problem with that would be that 95% of all things I draw remain unfinished. Take this for example, I've been working on that for 6 months.

You bastard. Share you creativity and stop hording it.

At 4/20/19 01:46 PM, Spedmallet wrote: I would keep experimenting. The sky is the limit when it comes to different mediums. Have you ever thought about getting a tablet?

Here, it turns out I have a really comfortable ink pen that I've never used before.

This looks a tad better.

iu_20475_1901976.jpg

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-21 12:38:04 (edited 2019-04-21 12:38:51)

Xin lineart update.

iu_20646_1901976.jpg

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-22 04:03:25

loving the traditional!! thank you for sharing your step by step process. love it yo

[-----free like clouds-----]

My art thread <3

BBS Signature

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-04-23 01:00:48

oh shit, thanks dood. Yeah I just need to dedicate some more time..

BBS Signature

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-07-04 11:38:00

Been a while, right?

Well, I did this for the My Friend Pedro contest:

iu_37608_1901976.jpg

I have pictures of the pencil work and line work, but they're probably not too informational.

COLORING. OH. MY. GOSH. SOMEONE END COLORING W/ COLORED PENCILS

(make it illegal, idc)

I had to learn so much. I was constantly battling not screwing this up or that up (I even changed the whole sky from being light-blue to orange.) In the end I had to realize that drawing is supposed to be fun. It stopped mattering how shaky my line-work was, or the minor mistakes. I had to stop worrying so much and do what I thought was fun.

I learned a lot.

Ok, onto the next one:

iu_37607_1901976.jpg

Drew this like 3 months ago and didn't make time to upload it. Just some concept art.

I hope to keep drawing over this 4th of July break from work, and even still do so when work begins picking back up.

Thanks guys!

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-07-05 11:30:31 (edited 2019-07-05 11:30:58)

Thought of something fun, so I drew it this morning.

iu_37842_1901976.jpg

I had new markers so I decided to try them out. Turns out they're the bee's knees :b

Also! Editing photos that I scan is easy peasy. Any minor mistakes I make can be corrected digitally.

Who knew?

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2019-09-29 20:42:38

Trying different clothing.

iu_58431_1901976.jpg

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2020-01-23 14:25:46

Welp, back to the 'ol grind.

Just wanted to test out my tablet, and I expect to draw more anime.

Higurashi When They Cry announced a new anime and Ishuzoku Reviewers is hilarious.

iu_87703_1901976.jpg

That is all.

Response to Xin's "artwork" Thread 2020-01-24 21:34:00

Bofuri is really entertaining to watch.

iu_88051_1901976.png

>>><<<

iu_88050_1901976.png

Meanwhile, I have to start actually practicing the fundamentals.