00:00
00:00

Pico Day 2019 is May 11th!

5,933 Views | 60 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Heads up, Pico Day will be on May 11th this year!

What’s Pico Day?

Pico Day is an annual celebration of all the cool stuff on Newgrounds. It was originally organized in the forums and started with Pico Day 2006; we’ve since kept the tradition going.

There is one big change this year, which came up last year. It has become increasingly awkward to encourage people to make animation and games each year when characters like Pico and the Tank Men are so old. In more recent years we’ve tried to broaden the themes but overall these categories weren’t getting a lot of traction.

The art category has had a great turnout each year, however, so this year we are encouraging everyone to upload fan-art of their favorite characters and people here on NG!

To participate, upload your entry on May 11th and include the “picoday2019” tag.

There will be prizes for the best art!

1st - $200

2nd - $150

3rd - $100

4th - $100

5th - $100

If you’re looking for themes, try browsing areas like the Top-Rated Original Comedy for the year.

Games, animation and music are all still welcome despite not having prizes this year. It would still be a total treat to see something special!

Update: @Comick has additional prizes for the best Skitzo the 1920's Killer Bear fan art!

Pico Day Party

Thanks to the efforts of @IvanAlmighty, the irl Pico Day party is making a return this year! It will be happening at a venue downtown and capacity is much more limited, so if you haven’t already accepted an invite, there aren’t any openings left this year. To be clear: We are at capacity and if you aren't on the list, the doorman can't let you in.

The invite list largely grew from the recent animation collabs so please don’t take it personal if you had been invited previous years and weren’t invited this year; hundreds of people are in that boat! Pico Day was getting bigger and crazier each year and it’s tough to know where to go with that other than an all-out NG Con.

Newgrounds Player

Our desktop Flash player is in really good shape and we’re confident you will be able to keep playing new and old Flash content, earning medals and logging high scores long after Flash is removed from browsers. We’re exploring some other ideas at the moment but the base system all works, which is a good feeling.

Devil May Cry Art Contest

Winners of the DMC Art Contest are coming up next!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

I love Pico and co, especially Darnell

Heck yeah, Pico Day! I can wait for Newgrounds Player.

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 14:53:26

I'll save the date! Would love to make some artwork for Pico Day, maybe a brief animation.

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 16:13:33

We need a new original newgrounds character. It's been a long time that an iconic newgrounds character has been created. (That I can remember)

Maybe there needs to be a writing competition where the prompt is to come up with a pilot episode to an original newgrounds character and the winner can be teamed up with an animator to bring it to life.

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 16:15:54

Interesting. :) I hope everyone will have a good time there.

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 16:41:55

What a coincidence, the next chapter of Potatoman Ignited arrives on the same day...

...all the more NG goodyness I guess!

You've happened upon a BBS post by ChazDude! Respond with a smiley face for infinite good luck!!! (Terms and conditions apply, only valid on the website of Newgrounds dot com)

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 17:07:10

Man your birthday just keeps getting later and later every year

Good.

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 17:19:21

At 3/22/19 05:07 PM, squidly wrote: Man your birthday just keeps getting later and later every year

That's because I don't want it to be related to my birthday :P

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 18:54:40

Yeet, I'm doing an art of that. Right now. But I won't being doing that for the money. Just doing it for fun.

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 19:06:49

It's already Pico Day soon !? Damn, It felt so short !

Drink coffee,be coffee .

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 19:30:49

At 3/22/19 01:59 PM, TomFulp wrote: Heads up, Pico Day will be on May 11th this year!

What’s Pico Day?

Pico Day is an annual celebration of all the cool stuff on Newgrounds. It was originally organized in the forums and started with Pico Day 2006; we’ve since kept the tradition going.

There is one big change this year, which came up last year. It has become increasingly awkward to encourage people to make animation and games each year when characters like Pico and the Tank Men are so old. In more recent years we’ve tried to broaden the themes but overall these categories weren’t getting a lot of traction.

The art category has had a great turnout each year, however, so this year we are encouraging everyone to upload fan-art of their favorite characters and people here on NG!

To participate, upload your entry on May 11th and include the “picoday2019” tag.

1st - $200
2nd - $150
3rd - $100
4th - $100
5th - $100

If you’re looking for themes, try browsing areas like the Top-Rated Original Comedy for the year.

Games, animation and music are all still welcome despite not having prizes this year. It would still be a total treat to see something special!

Pico Day Party

Thanks to the efforts of @IvanAlmighty, the irl Pico Day party is making a return this year! It will be happening at a venue downtown and capacity is much more limited, so if you haven’t already accepted an invite, there aren’t any openings left this year. To be clear: We are at capacity and if you aren't on the list, the doorman can't let you in.

The invite list largely grew from the recent animation collabs so please don’t take it personal if you had been invited previous years and weren’t invited this year; hundreds of people are in that boat! Pico Day was getting bigger and crazier each year and it’s tough to know where to go with that other than an all-out NG Con.

Newgrounds Player

Our desktop Flash player is in really good shape and we’re confident you will be able to keep playing new and old Flash content, earning medals and logging high scores long after Flash is removed from browsers. We’re exploring some other ideas at the moment but the base system all works, which is a good feeling.

DANG IT! I wish that I could go, but sadly I’m not old enough, better luck next time I guess. What’s the age limit for these meet-up anyway, @TomFulp?

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 19:49:43

Love hearing about the flash player, Pico day should be really fun! I hope there's a stream for those not in attendance

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-22 23:58:57

Very awesome, I'll try to make the time to submit an entry! I also plan on making my own character, Stanley Crowe, a staple here on NG as well, since he gets WAY more attention here than anywhere else.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-23 00:45:23

At 3/22/19 01:59 PM, TomFulp wrote: other than an all-out NG Con.

Hmmmmmmm?

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!" we would cry. Thousands were killed.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-23 01:31:28

At 3/22/19 04:13 PM, Fro wrote: We need a new original newgrounds character. It's been a long time that an iconic newgrounds character has been created. (That I can remember)

Maybe there needs to be a writing competition where the prompt is to come up with a pilot episode to an original newgrounds character and the winner can be teamed up with an animator to bring it to life.

Can we just agree that Sublo and Tangy Mustard are "Newgrounds characters" now? They're beloved on here and get a ton of attention.

You'd be fine with that, right @aalong64?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-23 03:16:27

At 3/23/19 01:31 AM, ZJ wrote:
At 3/22/19 04:13 PM, Fro wrote: We need a new original newgrounds character. It's been a long time that an iconic newgrounds character has been created. (That I can remember)

Can we just agree that Sublo and Tangy Mustard are "Newgrounds characters" now? They're beloved on here and get a ton of attention.

I think we've all agreed to that. They've been in many a wall art piece. And I'm glad we have characters like them.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-23 03:26:07

Of course! Newgrounds has been very generous and supportive to the series, and they do an amazing job of showcasing new episodes on here. Also the community here is really great. I'm happy to consider Sublo and Tangy Mustard a Newgrounds series (even though not exclusive to NG, I would say this is its home). It meant a lot to me when I saw that it had been added on the Series page -- I've been visiting the site since I was in elementary school!

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-23 03:34:01

At 3/22/19 01:59 PM, TomFulp wrote: Heads up, Pico Day will be on May 11th this year!

What’s Pico Day?

1st - $200
2nd - $150
3rd - $100
4th - $100
5th - $100

Pico Day Party

Newgrounds Player

SO FABUOLES I CANT EVEN SPELL

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-23 13:48:48

So aaannnnyyyy comedy art is allowed? And are memes fair game?

Also, do you think all contests would transform into all purpose contests? (For example: Madness day becomes "All action works are allowed?"

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-23 17:00:32

Do you know anything about Webrecorder?

https://twitter.com/webrecorder_io

I just stumbled on it recently. It seems to be trying to do the same thing the Wayback machine does, but for all interactive media on the internet. They do even Flash, and that it's open source. I'm curious if a collaboration there would make sense.

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-23 18:38:19

Hot damn, I can't wait to see the art that will be contributed this year!

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-24 02:53:52

Mostly unrelated to Pico Day (although I'm hyped for it), but

Can we get the avatars (or usernames) in the Feed hyperlinked to the userpages? sometimes I want to see the full profile of someone I follow but currently I gotta open up the art in a new tab, then click the avatar in the submission itself. Here's what I mean:

iu_15128_5483581.jpg

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-24 05:12:24

here is mine.

.iu_15137_6862514.png

My banner, looks like the adult swim logo.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-24 12:36:59

At 3/23/19 03:26 AM, aalong64 wrote:

Of course! Newgrounds has been very generous and supportive to the series, and they do an amazing job of showcasing new episodes on here. Also the community here is really great. I'm happy to consider Sublo and Tangy Mustard a Newgrounds series (even though not exclusive to NG, I would say this is its home). It meant a lot to me when I saw that it had been added on the Series page -- I've been visiting the site since I was in elementary school!

I'm not going to lie, I've never noticed these characters in the wall art or watched the series until just yesterday.

Ive ignored basically anything that wasnt by someone I followed for so many years now that I'm probably missing out on quite a few good series like this.

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-24 13:30:46

What’s Pico Day?

1st - $200
2nd - $150
3rd - $100
4th - $100
5th - $100

Pico Day Party

Newgrounds Player

Its ON

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-24 15:17:38

Goddamn, Ivan's really killing it with keeping the Newgrounds spirit alive. First the return of the mega-collabs, and now the Pico Day Party! Legend

Also this is an interesting twist on Pico Day. I've had an idea for a Pico Day art piece for a while, so I guess now would be an appropriate time to actually go and do it lol

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-24 19:54:21

At 3/23/19 01:48 PM, Magotrap wrote: So aaannnnyyyy comedy art is allowed? And are memes fair game?
Also, do you think all contests would transform into all purpose contests? (For example: Madness day becomes "All action works are allowed?"

Not sure if the theme was made clear... You can make fan art for any original characters you've seen here on Newgrounds. They don't have to belong to Newgrounds the way Pico and Tankmen do - for example Starbarians and Sublo & Tangy Mustard are original characters you can find on Newgrounds. It also doesn't have to by comedy characters, I linked to comedy as a good category to find stuff though.

BBS Signature

At 3/24/19 12:36 PM, Fro wrote:
At 3/23/19 03:26 AM, aalong64 wrote:

I'm not going to lie, I've never noticed these characters in the wall art or watched the series until just yesterday.

Ive ignored basically anything that wasnt by someone I followed for so many years now that I'm probably missing out on quite a few good series like this.

I saw your name on Wacko Watt Mazes scoreboard and I don’t see you following me ;)

Luc Richard

Response to Pico Day 2019 is May 11th! 2019-03-25 15:52:08

I have a post about Pico day and some prizes I'm including to get some of my fans from Twitter and Deviantart to post on Newgrounds for Pico Day :) https://comick.newgrounds.com/news/post/1046791