00:00
00:00

MWC19 - March - Discussion

630 Views | 30 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-01 11:13:46


Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the March Writing Competition in this thread.


DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD.

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-03 18:53:30


At 3/1/19 11:13 AM, Fro wrote: Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the March Writing Competition in this thread.

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD.


This is definitely a tougher one, to encompass all the different things into the story, but I am sure I can do it and I will have something for you before the deadline.


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-03 19:05:36


At 3/1/19 11:13 AM, Fro wrote: Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the March Writing Competition in this thread.

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD.


Entry thread:


https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1439670

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-17 19:34:45


Yep, got one to the first draft. Following advice, I have made it more Newgrounds in style. I will read it through over the next few days before posting.


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-17 19:50:27


COMPETITION

Mini competition within a competition: Write a sixty word story using the word "Simaliar", as popularised by our great leader - "(I know the last one is simaliar to our January prompt... "


Simaliar can mean whatever . Exactly 60 words inc title. Deadline end of March- 1st prize one hug- if you can get to me in London, or something simaliar.


The above is my entry to itself.


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-18 10:30:45


At 3/17/19 07:50 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: COMPETITION
Mini competition within a competition: Write a sixty word story using the word "Simaliar", as popularised by our great leader - "(I know the last one is simaliar to our January prompt... "

Simaliar can mean whatever . Exactly 60 words inc title. Deadline end of March- 1st prize one hug- if you can get to me in London, or something simaliar.

The above is my entry to itself.


I blame my spelling mistakes on having to post the majority of my stuff from my mobile device.... when in reality I'm actually really bad with grammar and spelling. Something maybe I should admit as a writing judge, but I'm more story driven when judging anyway. I often have an editor go over anything that I write for competitions.

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-19 11:20:04


Hi, so what have you all been upto, I so want to read all your stories. I recently submitted a very depressing story for the March forward theme :) So what are your characters doing this March?

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 02:02:20


At 3/18/19 10:30 AM, Fro wrote:
At 3/17/19 07:50 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: COMPETITION
Mini competition within a competition: Write a sixty word story using the word "Simaliar", as popularised by our great leader - "(I know the last one is simaliar to our January prompt... "

Simaliar can mean whatever . Exactly 60 words inc title. Deadline end of March- 1st prize one hug- if you can get to me in London, or something simaliar.

The above is my entry to itself.
I blame my spelling mistakes on having to post the majority of my stuff from my mobile device.... when in reality I'm actually really bad with grammar and spelling. Something maybe I should admit as a writing judge, but I'm more story driven when judging anyway. I often have an editor go over anything that I write for competitions.


Just a question, are IceDragon64 and Fro the same people.....?

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 10:17:37


At 3/20/19 02:02 AM, 123survesh wrote:


Just a question, are IceDragon64 and Fro the same people.....?


Perhaps.


What makes you think that?

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 10:52:27


At 3/20/19 02:02 AM, 123survesh wrote:
At 3/18/19 10:30 AM, Fro wrote:
At 3/17/19 07:50 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: COMPETITION
Mini competition within a competition: Write a sixty word story using the word "Simaliar", as popularised by our great leader - "(I know the last one is simaliar to our January prompt... "

Simaliar can mean whatever . Exactly 60 words inc title. Deadline end of March- 1st prize one hug- if you can get to me in London, or something simaliar.

The above is my entry to itself.
I blame my spelling mistakes on having to post the majority of my stuff from my mobile device.... when in reality I'm actually really bad with grammar and spelling. Something maybe I should admit as a writing judge, but I'm more story driven when judging anyway. I often have an editor go over anything that I write for competitions.
Just a question, are IceDragon64 and Fro the same people.....?


Hahahahaha! No, I can see a few similarities, we are both writers, we have both been around NG for a long time. We have both worked on wiki's for Newgrounds. We both write a lot of reviews here and we have both made games and movies here. In fact, you might say we are quite Simaliar!


However, he is allegedly a handsome young man from California, whereas I am allegedly a 55 year old from London UK :)


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 11:56:38


At 3/20/19 10:17 AM, Fro wrote:
At 3/20/19 02:02 AM, 123survesh wrote:
Just a question, are IceDragon64 and Fro the same people.....?
Perhaps.

What makes you think that?


Well the post made by IceDragon64 had some typos and your reply to his post was an apology on typos. I just guessed....

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 11:59:55


At 3/20/19 10:52 AM, IceDragon64 wrote:
Hahahahaha! No, I can see a few similarities, we are both writers, we have both been around NG for a long time. We have both worked on wiki's for Newgrounds. We both write a lot of reviews here and we have both made games and movies here. In fact, you might say we are quite Simaliar!

However, he is allegedly a handsome young man from California, whereas I am allegedly a 55 year old from London UK :)


Hmmm... ok I believe you. I just got confused based on his reply to your mini competition post.

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 12:14:23


At 3/20/19 11:56 AM, 123survesh wrote:
At 3/20/19 10:17 AM, Fro wrote:
At 3/20/19 02:02 AM, 123survesh wrote:
Just a question, are IceDragon64 and Fro the same people.....?
Perhaps.

What makes you think that?
Well the post made by IceDragon64 had some typos and your reply to his post was an apology on typos. I just guessed....


He was picking on me for a typo that I had originally made in the competition post and I was defending my honor with excuses like a stubborn young handsome lad from California would normally do when called out by an elderly man from London.


Was that all a run on sentence?

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 12:38:07


Also, I'll be judging a voice acting competition coming up fairly shortly as well. You guys should check it out. It involves some script writing so if you want to take a shot at some cool prizes show off your writing skills and your voice at the same time.


https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440052

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 13:53:02


At 3/20/19 12:14 PM, Fro wrote:
He was picking on me for a typo that I had originally made in the competition post and I was defending my honor with excuses like a stubborn young handsome lad from California would normally do when called out by an elderly man from London.

Was that all a run on sentence?


Oh, silly me :)

Yep it is a run on sentence.

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 15:44:36


At 3/20/19 11:59 AM, 123survesh wrote:
At 3/20/19 10:52 AM, IceDragon64 wrote:
Hahahahaha! No, I can see a few similarities, we are both writers, we have both been around NG for a long time. We have both worked on wiki's for Newgrounds. We both write a lot of reviews here and we have both made games and movies here. In fact, you might say we are quite Simaliar!

However, he is allegedly a handsome young man from California, whereas I am allegedly a 55 year old from London UK :)
Hmmm... ok I believe you. I just got confused based on his reply to your mini competition post.


  • His reply is not like me. I'm an old dinosaur who doesn't use a phone at all with the internet and writes everything on a sensible screen at home.
  • The question now is- are you going to enter the Simaliar competition? We would have to figure out who can judge it, being as my competition description more or less accidentally became an entry in itself.

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-20 21:36:43


At 3/20/19 12:38 PM, Fro wrote: Also, I'll be judging a voice acting competition coming up fairly shortly as well. You guys should check it out. It involves some script writing so if you want to take a shot at some cool prizes show off your writing skills and your voice at the same time.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440052


OK- if you say so... Been there; done that. All knocked up in an evening- my first Audio!


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-25 08:56:10


At 3/17/19 07:50 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: COMPETITION
Mini competition within a competition: Write a sixty word story using the word "Simaliar", as popularised by our great leader - "(I know the last one is simaliar to our January prompt... "

Simaliar can mean whatever . Exactly 60 words inc title. Deadline end of March- 1st prize one hug- if you can get to me in London, or something simaliar.

The above is my entry to itself.


"He is leaning to the left, a right hook is going to be a risk. I move forward, suddenly there was Simaliar. The whole world, went off crazy. I was seeing weird colors on everybody, like how petrol reflected light when it spread on water. My opponent had broken off the display screen in my eyes. Then I knew Simaliar."


My submission for the contest - Simaliar

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-25 13:14:19


At 3/25/19 08:56 AM, 123survesh wrote:
At 3/17/19 07:50 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: COMPETITION
Mini competition within a competition: Write a sixty word story using the word "Simaliar", as popularised by our great leader - "(I know the last one is simaliar to our January prompt... "

Simaliar can mean whatever . Exactly 60 words inc title. Deadline end of March- 1st prize one hug- if you can get to me in London, or something simaliar.

The above is my entry to itself.
"He is leaning to the left, a right hook is going to be a risk. I move forward, suddenly there was Simaliar. The whole world, went off crazy. I was seeing weird colors on everybody, like how petrol reflected light when it spread on water. My opponent had broken off the display screen in my eyes. Then I knew Simaliar."

My submission for the contest - Simaliar


  • oh THAT's what you call it. The display screen in my left eye broke when I sneezed last year and God, is it weird. It was only a crack in the hypoid conduit, but yeah, the colours were like I was on drugs, weird, interesting and very pretty. it was just SO incredibly simaliar I almost didn't want the eye fixed!

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-25 13:16:43


At 3/20/19 12:38 PM, Fro wrote: Also, I'll be judging a voice acting competition coming up fairly shortly as well. You guys should check it out. It involves some script writing so if you want to take a shot at some cool prizes show off your writing skills and your voice at the same time.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440052


Go hear, everyone! I have entered with my very first Audio submission :)


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-25 13:23:06


At 3/19/19 11:20 AM, 123survesh wrote: Hi, so what have you all been upto, I so want to read all your stories. I recently submitted a very depressing story for the March forward theme :) So what are your characters doing this March?


Well Fro tells me I needed to change my stories, so I have with this one. It is still stewing- I write them early, then aim to submit only when I can read it without making changes, which takes all month, so my characters are in suspended animation waiting for me to release them on the world. I must go and read it again- they are getting restless and complaining that they want to be let out.


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-25 14:02:16


At 3/25/19 01:23 PM, IceDragon64 wrote:
At 3/19/19 11:20 AM, 123survesh wrote: Hi, so what have you all been upto, I so want to read all your stories. I recently submitted a very depressing story for the March forward theme :) So what are your characters doing this March?
Well Fro tells me I needed to change my stories, so I have with this one. It is still stewing- I write them early, then aim to submit only when I can read it without making changes, which takes all month, so my characters are in suspended animation waiting for me to release them on the world. I must go and read it again- they are getting restless and complaining that they want to be let out.


Oh, that's a cool practice, I will try that next time.

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-25 18:40:13


Nope. Can't submit the story yet; still making changes. At the time I wrote it, describing the heartbeat as the "ebb and flow" seemed very poetic, but it is NOT an ebb and flow as such- the blood flows all one way round the body, as William Harvey proved in his great experiment, it does NOT ebb and flow. One could sort of say it ebbs out in the arteries and flows back in the veins, but really, that is silly. Not tomorrow either, because I had Dungeons and Dragons after work until bed time.


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-27 11:28:31


Maybe an unpopular opinion, but if I don't get enough entries for the March competition I think it'll be the last monthly I attempt. We'll just do the annual Halloween competition and focus hard on it instead. I can't afford to give prize money to the winners like we use to do and I don't think there's any incentives.


I do have a few ideas for collaborations though so there's still something for writers to do outside of the Halloween competition.

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-03-31 18:14:08


At 3/27/19 11:28 AM, Fro wrote: Maybe an unpopular opinion, but if I don't get enough entries for the March competition I think it'll be the last monthly I attempt. We'll just do the annual Halloween competition and focus hard on it instead. I can't afford to give prize money to the winners like we use to do and I don't think there's any incentives.

I do have a few ideas for collaborations though so there's still something for writers to do outside of the Halloween competition.


Have you considered treating it like Inktober? In place of daily themes we have monthly themes as a way of challenging ourselves to break out of comfort zones. Just a thought as a lot of us get into creative ruts in some form or other.

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-04-02 17:01:30


At 3/31/19 06:14 PM, TopazAzul wrote:


Have you considered treating it like Inktober? In place of daily themes we have monthly themes as a way of challenging ourselves to break out of comfort zones. Just a thought as a lot of us get into creative ruts in some form or other.


Not going to lie.. I've been kind of out of it on how most of newgrounds has been doing things for quite awhile. I can look into it myself, but I really don't know anything about inktober. How is it handled?

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-04-02 19:11:48


At 4/2/19 05:01 PM, Fro wrote:
At 3/31/19 06:14 PM, TopazAzul wrote:
Have you considered treating it like Inktober? In place of daily themes we have monthly themes as a way of challenging ourselves to break out of comfort zones. Just a thought as a lot of us get into creative ruts in some form or other.
Not going to lie.. I've been kind of out of it on how most of newgrounds has been doing things for quite awhile. I can look into it myself, but I really don't know anything about inktober. How is it handled?


Haven't been on the site long but did participate fully in 2018. Instead of each day being dedicated to a prompt, we have a year of writing prompts. Every once in a while a writer(s) will get highlighted for doing interesting work and are gifted a prize as a result (prize is totally up to you). This can be monthly, every other month or which ever time frame is workable.


You can ask Tom for his input since he was the one that did the Inktober 2018 reward thing.

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-04-04 13:45:38


At 4/2/19 07:11 PM, TopazAzul wrote:


Haven't been on the site long but did participate fully in 2018. Instead of each day being dedicated to a prompt, we have a year of writing prompts. Every once in a while a writer(s) will get highlighted for doing interesting work and are gifted a prize as a result (prize is totally up to you). This can be monthly, every other month or which ever time frame is workable.

You can ask Tom for his input since he was the one that did the Inktober 2018 reward thing.


I may be confused a little, bit isn't this kind of what we are doing now? I'll take some time to look at the Inktober threads to better understand.


At 4/4/19 01:45 PM, Fro wrote:
At 4/2/19 07:11 PM, TopazAzul wrote:
Haven't been on the site long but did participate fully in 2018. Instead of each day being dedicated to a prompt, we have a year of writing prompts. Every once in a while a writer(s) will get highlighted for doing interesting work and are gifted a prize as a result (prize is totally up to you). This can be monthly, every other month or which ever time frame is workable.

You can ask Tom for his input since he was the one that did the Inktober 2018 reward thing.
I may be confused a little, bit isn't this kind of what we are doing now? I'll take some time to look at the Inktober threads to better understand.


Sorry about that; I was responding to you not being sure you wanted to continue if the participation was low and the expense. Was trying to suggest the approach of Inktober where you experiment with drawing different themes you normally wouldn't draw and if you manage to draw something new daily it's like a big accomplishment. Was thinking MWC could have similar approach (prizes optional) if things get a bit much.

Response to MWC19 - March - Discussion 2019-04-16 14:23:33


At 3/27/19 11:28 AM, Fro wrote: Maybe an unpopular opinion, but if I don't get enough entries for the March competition I think it'll be the last monthly I attempt. We'll just do the annual Halloween competition and focus hard on it instead. I can't afford to give prize money to the winners like we use to do and I don't think there's any incentives.

I do have a few ideas for collaborations though so there's still something for writers to do outside of the Halloween competition.


Dang, I started doing these in Feb. I decided I would do every month to challenge myself. They've been fun so far I hope you keep doing these!