00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted GeoTheCAt supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

(Suggestion?)Sort/Filter by Licence

204 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello

Im a Game Artist/Designer/Developer and I've been using and enjoying Newgrounds for quite some time to gather inspiration (mostly browsing Audio for RPG/Classical/Cinematic)

So I was wondering what you guys would think of an optional feature that allowed to filter content by the type of Licence provided when uploaded (anything really, but probably mostly Visual Art and Audio)

I'm sure it would attract a broader audience of developers that are looking for specific types assets (mostly CC-BY-SA-X/CC0 I guess)

Newgrounds has a huge amount of very talented artists in every field, and for beginners it might be hard to earn a certain amount of spotlight.

Contacting every single composer or artist about the usage of works and the conditions can end up being tedious which could be relieved by implementing such a feature.

Pros:

• More potential spotlight and economical entry for individuals
  • More potential subscribers/donators
  • More ad revenue for the website/higher ranking

Cons:

• Respective increase in bandwidth and following costs

Thats what I could think of from the top of my head

I catch myself browsing the web entirely very often for resources and inspiration, and the features of the available sites is limited to my taste.

The idea behind this is not to turn it into an asset store by all means, but I admire the professionality and integrity of the artists here very much, it has something very personal to it.

Maybe some content creators would think that this would be a handy addition to the site, or if the ones responsible for the website or veteran creators can share their thoughts on this.

-Regards

Elk

Response to (Suggestion?)Sort/Filter by Licence 2019-02-21 07:38:24

I was just thinking about how difficult it is to find audio released under CC these days, if you want to get something for your work but not necessarily contact the author about it (since often they're inactive and impossible to reach). It used to be so simple. Something like this would really be useful for audio in particular! But yes, all kinds of content. Seconding this idea.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature