00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wizard Fighting Styles ref help

270 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Wizard Fighting Styles ref help 2019-02-18 04:10:42

im making an attempt at animation and created a character who uses summoning magic. I having trouble finding some reliable reference for magical combat that isn't shot out of a wand. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated!

Response to Wizard Fighting Styles ref help 2019-02-18 22:14:20

At 2/18/19 04:10 AM, McCreeisBalanced wrote: im making an attempt at animation and created a character who uses summoning magic. I having trouble finding some reliable reference for magical combat that isn't shot out of a wand. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated!

The Final Fantasy games have all sorts of attack and summoning animations for when they use spells and start throwing stuff at people.

Final Fantasy 7 Summons

Jump down this rabbit hole and you'll find all kinds of game magic and extra. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Wizard Fighting Styles ref help 2019-02-19 09:12:34

At 2/18/19 04:10 AM, McCreeisBalanced wrote: im making an attempt at animation and created a character who uses summoning magic. I having trouble finding some reliable reference for magical combat that isn't shot out of a wand. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated!

From what I'm to understand is that summoning wizards use magic that requires alot of set up and protect. When making an on the run kind of character who can work in combat without hiding behind the group while charging a summon you can have the character bypass this many ways:

Change the summoning process by writing diffrent methods of summoning:

• A character has written all the runes required for a summon in a book and too keep things fair it takes a ridiculous long time to do this and after you summon something out of the book it burns away the page so you can't do the same summon very often.
  • A Garbage that can summon random junk for a dump for the price of something (blood, money, time, ect)
  • Literally anything can work as long and it takes something, You can't just summon something for nothing. Or you can but it would make for very boring story telling.

Animating the character who's summoning things:

• Get creative with what you summon things for. If the character is summoning things fast they will be able to whip out things quickly (IE bayonetta) so think about ways to have them use quick summons like in the case of the trash wizard I just made up, you can summon an old broken bike but becuase it's old and broken it only works for a little bit falling apart while riding to get further faster in a short distance.
  • Have them do the ritual. It can be a small thing like throwing some change into the trash can (once again trash wizard) to summon, So whenever the character wants to summon something have them do the little action that it takes or a big action if it's something big.
  • The thing being summoned needs to get there somehow, out of a book, out a garbage can, a portal anything but they must come through it. If they have to be created to come alive that's not summoning that's going to the full metal alchemist school or making things out of diffrent materials or fictions worlds depictions of summoning

Good luck and have fun, if you need anything just ding me @ my username or pm me.

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

Response to Wizard Fighting Styles ref help 2019-02-21 03:55:59

Jesus titty fuckin Christ! I cant thank you enough dude. this information is gonna do WONDERS for me!!!