00:00
00:00

Anyone here play chess?

249 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

...and have a friend who is near you who also plays it? (Alternatively play chess and have skype?)

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-09 16:24:06

At 2/9/19 04:18 PM, belthagor wrote: ...and have a friend who is near you who also plays it? (Alternatively play chess and have skype?)

i used to be very good at chess, but then I realized it was just memorizing what moves go with what, which DOES take brains, but it becomes less about abstract strategic thought and more about memorization, which is just terribly tedious.

to answer your question, no, i did have a friend who went to thailand, and he got all gungho about chess and we used to play on some site, but after i beat him like 5 times in a row he abandoned it.

Life, is only heavy and none else; there is only the one trip, all heavy. Heavy that leads to the grave. For everyone and everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-09 16:26:53

At 2/9/19 04:24 PM, FredArctor wrote:
At 2/9/19 04:18 PM, belthagor wrote: ...and have a friend who is near you who also plays it? (Alternatively play chess and have skype?)
i used to be very good at chess, but then I realized it was just memorizing what moves go with what, which DOES take brains, but it becomes less about abstract strategic thought and more about memorization, which is just terribly tedious.

to answer your question, no, i did have a friend who went to thailand, and he got all gungho about chess and we used to play on some site, but after i beat him like 5 times in a row he abandoned it.

What if I told you I am planning to revolutionize chess, after I find a programmer that can help me do it?

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-09 16:29:18 (edited 2019-02-09 16:30:10)

I learned how to play chess at a very young age but then when I played an online game the rules were different. Understandably, I was confused, then I realised I was taught wrong. Never really had the opportunity to play it again afterwards but then again it wasn't really my thing anyways

This revolutionisation of chess sounds interesting though. I'm no programmer, but if you're looking for any kind of pixel art hmu

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-09 16:31:16

At 2/9/19 04:26 PM, belthagor wrote:

What if I told you I am planning to revolutionize chess, after I find a programmer that can help me do it?

id say im not very interested, and then id tell you 3d chess isnt new, but go on

Life, is only heavy and none else; there is only the one trip, all heavy. Heavy that leads to the grave. For everyone and everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-09 18:17:25

I played a lot of chess in the hospital and jail. I used to play it a lot more in my teens, I was good but to me the game is boring now. It's like what @FredArctor said, once you know the right moves it becomes tedious. I get no fun from it, even winning isn't that gratifying. It is way better then checkers though. If you do revolutionize chess definitely make a bigger board with way more moves/options and new types of pieces maybe. Also you could make the player play with different designs, like a ww2 set of pieces or pirates or something.

Is the rock ok?

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-09 18:31:13

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-09 23:02:32 (edited 2019-02-09 23:05:37)

At 2/9/19 06:17 PM, WaffleCrisp wrote: I played a lot of chess in the hospital and jail. I used to play it a lot more in my teens, I was good but to me the game is boring now. It's like what @FredArctor said, once you know the right moves it becomes tedious. I get no fun from it, even winning isn't that gratifying. It is way better then checkers though. If you do revolutionize chess definitely make a bigger board with way more moves/options and new types of pieces maybe. Also you could make the player play with different designs, like a ww2 set of pieces or pirates or something.

Go

was a game the japanese considered to be a microcosm for the universe, and they say no two games are ever the same. like chess it too has some memorization but is much more open ended and strategic, easy to learn, almost impossible to master...

" Despite its relatively simple rules, Go is very complex. Compared to chess, Go has both a larger board with more scope for play and longer games, and, on average, many more alternatives to consider per move "

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-10 01:13:20

At 2/9/19 11:02 PM, FredArctor wrote:
Go
was a game the japanese considered to be a microcosm for the universe, and they say no two games are ever the same. like chess it too has some memorization but is much more open ended and strategic, easy to learn, almost impossible to master...

" Despite its relatively simple rules, Go is very complex. Compared to chess, Go has both a larger board with more scope for play and longer games, and, on average, many more alternatives to consider per move "

I definitely want to play this. I first heard of it from the movie Pi, and wanted to play it.

Is the rock ok?

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-10 07:43:41 (edited 2019-02-10 07:44:10)

Not in a while now. Used to play with an old neighbor, but then he died. :/

I had a wave where I played a ton of this too: https://www.instantchess.com/

Check out the New Review Crew / Hexalist #50 (Feb)

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-10 15:36:31

At 2/10/19 01:13 AM, WaffleCrisp wrote:
At 2/9/19 11:02 PM, FredArctor wrote:
Go

I definitely want to play this. I first heard of it from the movie Pi, and wanted to play it.

dude pi is SUCH an underrated movie, just, terrific all around...

iu_6893_6838324.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-10 19:37:17

I apologize in advance

iu_6924_1414829.jpg

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-10 21:54:00 (edited 2019-02-10 21:54:41)

At 2/10/19 07:37 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I apologize in advance

You know, human chess would be fun. If I was a King I'd make people play real life Chess to the death with real weapons. Lol, can you imagine the fun in that? Pawn hesitates to move forward because the knight will stab him in the face. And if they don't play they get slowly tortured to death so they'd play giving that they might have a chance to live.

Is the rock ok?

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-10 22:11:53

I've been wanting to play chess lately for some reason. I haven't played it in years.

I remember learning it on the first computer I had. It had a chess game that was already installed on the computer. I would play it all the time.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-11 09:32:18

There was a period where I'd play online vs a friend.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-11 14:32:36

I'm curious what this plan is

"I'm not dabbing on my haters, I'm hiding my tears."

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-11 14:56:56

At 2/11/19 02:32 PM, Dancing-Ducki wrote:

I'm curious what this plan is

adding more spaces and pieces id guess, which is, 3d chess basically, but lets see if he ever answers

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-11 15:31:36

Instead of just revolutionizing the game of chess we all know too well, try create 4D chess as it adds an extra 2 dimensions to the game.

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-11 17:20:08

i play chess im not that good but i and a modest

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-11 18:15:48

At 2/11/19 03:31 PM, Overshot1506 wrote:

Instead of just revolutionizing the game of chess we all know too well, try create 4D chess as it adds an extra 2 dimensions to the game.

just punch yourself in the balls and call it creativity while ya at it...

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-12 08:20:55

i have a chess game on my phone i play it all the time when i'm bored.

my brain is litreally throbbing with all the IQ points I have

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-13 06:22:11

At 2/9/19 04:26 PM, belthagor wrote: What if I told you I am planning to revolutionize chess, after I find a programmer that can help me do it?

I would assume and without a doubt be right that you had some idea you thought was grand and wonderful but in fact wasn't.

I play chess. A lot more than anyone else here or you or anyone you know. I'm also a chess programmer and have written some engines. And I also went through the childish phase when I first got into it that I could write an engine that thought more humanly. And realized all the pitfalls and problems involved in that approach.

Or you want to expand the board and add pieces. Or add a few rpg'ish mechanics. Or add a dimension or two. Make the board a torus. Whatever.

Whatever you're thinking, it's nothing new. Nor is it feasible or interesting.

So in short, I'd suggest you grow up.

Message me privately if you want to go over it. You won't encounter a harder intersection between programmer and chess player here. That's for sure.

= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-13 08:38:11

Sure. I learned the peasant tactics first when I realized I have potential for Chess.

I'm Monstercat..

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-13 11:34:22

At 2/10/19 07:37 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I apologize in advance

That was the first genuine laugh I've had in a while now. :D No need to apologize.

Sure the queen would've laughed at that too. Seems like humorable royalty.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-13 11:38:38

At 2/10/19 03:36 PM, FredArctor wrote: dude pi is SUCH an underrated movie, just, terrific all around...

That (I assume) footage makes me both want to see what horrors might hide within this potential mastery of the macabre and... not really. Seems potentially disturbing.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-13 11:57:42

All my chess games have been 3 or 5 moves before I realize I don't know what the fuck I'm doing and wait for someone to take over for me.

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-13 12:48:16

At 2/13/19 11:38 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/10/19 03:36 PM, FredArctor wrote: dude pi is SUCH an underrated movie, just, terrific all around...
That (I assume) footage makes me both want to see what horrors might hide within this potential mastery of the macabre and... not really. Seems potentially disturbing.

It's like a paranoia movie about kaballah, and has alot of interesting shit in it.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-13 12:54:43

At 2/13/19 12:48 PM, FredArctor wrote:
It's like a paranoia movie about kaballah, and has alot of interesting shit in it.

What did you call PI?

It's a movie about mathematics and the stock market, not kaballah.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-13 13:04:36

I started chess at a very young age.....and I still play chess everyday, I do not think I will ever stop playing!... Chess will always remain interesting ...the amount of possibilities is infinite (almost)

Response to Anyone here play chess? 2019-02-13 13:31:39 (edited 2019-02-13 13:32:57)

At 2/13/19 12:54 PM, belthagor wrote:
At 2/13/19 12:48 PM, FredArctor wrote:
What did you call PI?

It's a movie about mathematics and the stock market, not kaballah.

This further strengthens my conflicting wants of watching this movie and just letting it be.

BBS Signature