00:00
00:00

Need Recording Equip. Suggestions

109 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Need Recording Equip. Suggestions 2019-02-07 13:50:02

(I don't usually post on forums, so I'm sorry if I'm doing anything wrong here.)

I've had enough of my horrible Blue Yeti microphone. It's got this little bit where the headphone jack is that keeps falling off and pretty faulty wiring issues (I've even ordered a new cable and was eventually met with the same fate). I don't know if Blue Yetis are just cheaply made or if I've got the anti-Midas touch where I everything I touch turns to trash rather than gold, but either way, I was looking to upgrade my equipment. Like, today. Or tomorrow. I dunno, soon.

So if anyone with more knowledge in audio workstations would like to help a fella out, that would be greatly appreciated! If not, that's okay.

I'm mainly looking for a new mic (preferably XLR since I've heard they sound better, but if I'm wrong on this, let me know!), possibly one of those adjustable/rotating arm-lookin' mic stands that attach to your desk that you see Twitch nerds use (this is optional, I just have a small desk and am tired of moving my mic around to accommodate for my keyboard, mouse, Cintiq, and pile of junk food, aka 'gamer fuel' 😎), and an Audio Interface.

I'd say my preferred total budget is $300 or less.

I use my mic for talking with friends and on games, and for recording vocal and acoustic/electric guitar tracks when I get around to actually being productive.

So far I've come across the Audio-Technica AT2020 XLR Microphone, which can be bundled with a filter and rotating stand, as well as a Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface, all for $273 on Amazon.

But before I went and ordered anything, I just wanted to see what people who are more familiar with this subject think. If this is the wrong place for that and/or if I sound like a total idiot right now, I apologize!

Thanks, and feel free to suggest or discuss any other useful equipment! Sorry this is so long! Thanks! Sorry! Thank you!

Response to Need Recording Equip. Suggestions 2019-02-10 12:17:44

I use the Rode NT1-A which works well for me! :) you can hear it in any of my recordings from the last few years on here.

BBS Signature

Response to Need Recording Equip. Suggestions 2019-02-10 19:56:13

Get the Audio Technica. It's really good.

Response to Need Recording Equip. Suggestions 2019-02-10 20:00:24

At 2/7/19 01:50 PM, StealthyNine wrote: (I don't usually post on forums, so I'm sorry if I'm doing anything wrong here.)

I've had enough of my horrible Blue Yeti microphone. It's got this little bit where the headphone jack is that keeps falling off and pretty faulty wiring issues (I've even ordered a new cable and was eventually met with the same fate). I don't know if Blue Yetis are just cheaply made or if I've got the anti-Midas touch where I everything I touch turns to trash rather than gold, but either way, I was looking to upgrade my equipment. Like, today. Or tomorrow. I dunno, soon.

So if anyone with more knowledge in audio workstations would like to help a fella out, that would be greatly appreciated! If not, that's okay.

I'm mainly looking for a new mic (preferably XLR since I've heard they sound better, but if I'm wrong on this, let me know!), possibly one of those adjustable/rotating arm-lookin' mic stands that attach to your desk that you see Twitch nerds use (this is optional, I just have a small desk and am tired of moving my mic around to accommodate for my keyboard, mouse, Cintiq, and pile of junk food, aka 'gamer fuel' 😎), and an Audio Interface.

I'd say my preferred total budget is $300 or less.

I use my mic for talking with friends and on games, and for recording vocal and acoustic/electric guitar tracks when I get around to actually being productive.

So far I've come across the Audio-Technica AT2020 XLR Microphone, which can be bundled with a filter and rotating stand, as well as a Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface, all for $273 on Amazon.

But before I went and ordered anything, I just wanted to see what people who are more familiar with this subject think. If this is the wrong place for that and/or if I sound like a total idiot right now, I apologize!

Thanks, and feel free to suggest or discuss any other useful equipment! Sorry this is so long! Thanks! Sorry! Thank you!

HEY! I know a guy that can REALLY REALLY help you. His name is Graham, and he is here:

www.recordingrevolution.com

As far as your mic, I know that Blue Spark is a GREAT BRAND that is really affordable, but Graham can help show you the rest.

He has so much to teach, and he does it sooooo handsomely. *ahem*

He helped me out so much in learning the recording process.

But anyway, there you go. Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to Need Recording Equip. Suggestions 2019-02-11 03:45:05

I'd recommend the step up from the Solo — the Scarlett 2i2 — doesn't matter which mark of it you get.

Being able to control the way your stereo mic recording is done is super helpful. Though something like this will require two mics, not one. It's still super useful for recording unjacked instruments, too.

Samson R21S is what I swear by. It's the poor man's Shure SM58, with just as much clarity. The only downside is the durability; handle with care.

Response to Need Recording Equip. Suggestions 2019-02-12 01:24:41

Shure SM58 is the go-to for a small studio set up. I use a Rode NT1-A same as @etherealwinds and you can hear that in my more metal oriented tracks if you like.

I use a scarlet 2i4 for recording vox. Comes with handy plugins too.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Veteran REAPER user. Production Director on NGAP15 - ask me for anything you need.

BBS Signature

Response to Need Recording Equip. Suggestions 2019-02-12 10:50:33

Thanks to everyone responding to this post, it means a lot!

I went ahead and ordered the Audio-Technica AT2020 and went with the Scarlett as well. As suggested, I am also considering buying another microphone eventually for better capturing stereo sound. For now, with my budget and living restraints, this will have to do.

However, if anyone still has any advice or any recommendations in general or equipment-wise (or even digital workstation-wise!), feel free to share! I am very amateur in the music and mixing scene and I appreciate every bit of advice or suggestions that may help indulge me in the subject. Thanks, again!!

Response to Need Recording Equip. Suggestions 2019-02-12 16:16:08

can't go wrong with a blue yeti

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson