00:00
00:00

Blogging Updated!

2,491 Views | 29 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Blogging Updated! 2019-02-04 14:14:06

We just upgraded user blogs! The blog posting page is now mobile friendly and has all the benefits of our new text editor, such as easier image uploading.

Tagging was added to blogs a few weeks ago and that got updated today with our new tagging system, which introduced auto-suggestions.

Next up will likely be full art pieces in your feed.

If you’ve been enjoying these updates, please consider becoming a supporter! You can browse NG ad-free and get lots of other perks, plus we get to keep improving NG.

@Eggy has released a collection of 22 of his Flash games on Steam, check it out!

Also check out Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage on Steam and enter the art contest here on NG!

Silverware Games are looking for an animator to help wrap up trailers for two upcoming Steam projects. It’s a paid gig!

I always plan to tidy these up and rearrange the songs but check out my January 2019 Mix for a selection of cool music from last month.

Pixel Day winners and Best of January are coming up next!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-04 14:53:16

@Eggy has released a collection of 22 of his Flash games on Steam, check it out!

Thanks for the shoutout Tom :) hope anyone that grabs it enjoys it! <3

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-04 15:05:48

More and more nice updates coming to improve the website recently. Newgrounds is getting better with time and that's thanks to the main staff.

Drink coffee,be coffee .

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-04 15:34:05

Sounds and looks great! Now if only I had stuff going on to blog about. XD

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-04 16:07:29

At 2/4/19 02:14 PM, TomFulp wrote: We just upgraded user blogs! The blog posting page is now mobile friendly

This is all I ever wanted.

Supporter for life yo.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-04 16:15:36

good dang update.

really looking forward to that in feed art ill rate and fav every single thing in my feed when that happens.

RIP STATICSKULL NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-04 18:14:21

At 2/4/19 02:14 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also check out Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage on Steam and enter the art contest here on NG!

Give my new game a play! It's on sale on steam for another 24 hours. Thanks for the shout out, Tom.

Definitely give the art contest a shot too if you're the creative type. Doesn't matter what your skill level is.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-04 20:33:27

YES YES UNF YES #ddy

Windmill Windmill for the land

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-04 23:47:35

Is there any way to get a "cast this to your tv" button on portal movie submissions? I want to be able to cast to my shared screen at work!

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-05 01:25:57

At 2/4/19 11:47 PM, BoMToons wrote: Is there any way to get a "cast this to your tv" button on portal movie submissions? I want to be able to cast to my shared screen at work!

Yes, this brings to mind an interesting suggestion. Tom, when you finish making the site mobile friendly, could you make it Smart Tv friendly? I don't know if you've ever tried accessing Newgrounds on a TV, but it sucks a bunch. Lots of buttons are layered on top od one another, so are featured submissions and submissions in search.

Lol, bit of a long-way-down-the-line suggestion, but that would seriously be cool.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-05 03:01:38

Looks like another great update.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-05 05:34:03

At 2/5/19 01:25 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote:
At 2/4/19 11:47 PM, BoMToons wrote: Is there any way to get a "cast this to your tv" button on portal movie submissions? I want to be able to cast to my shared screen at work!
Yes, this brings to mind an interesting suggestion. Tom, when you finish making the site mobile friendly, could you make it Smart Tv friendly? I don't know if you've ever tried accessing Newgrounds on a TV, but it sucks a bunch. Lots of buttons are layered on top od one another, so are featured submissions and submissions in search.
Lol, bit of a long-way-down-the-line suggestion, but that would seriously be cool.

I need to revisit what NG looks like on Smart TVs... Have always intended to have TV-specific apps but if the site itself could well that would be good, I didn't realize it wasn't rendering as expected in TV browsers.

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-05 05:36:28

Have to look into what functionality is necessary there! Are you familiar with what a website needs to add for that? It looks like there are some apps that might do it via their own integrated browsers, let me know if something like this might work for you: https://video-tv-cast.com/

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-05 08:29:15

At 2/5/19 08:25 AM, RightTime wrote: I went to edit a long form Blog post and noticed that there's a character limit now that I'm way, way over. It's showing Characters Remaining: -28,858 on this post at the moment, so I can't add anything new to it. I'm assuming this is part of the new Blogging update?

Whoops, making note now!

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-05 15:25:47

Thank you so much i can finally post news. Not trying to look a gift code in the port but can you do something about not beinv able to roteate your art when posting. I have to turn my phone or tge pic will upload side ways. Rotation would really be a pic help.

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-05 15:54:42

I noticed that the " you might also enjoy " art suggestions that pop up when looking at art kind of lack more randomness or variety and it pops up a lot of the same art or art already looked at. just saying if it generated more randomly then people might be inclined to keep clicking and browsing. instead of going back to the art section. although I Guess it's kind of a minor inconvenience

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-05 15:57:35

At 2/5/19 03:25 PM, Kpeterson88 wrote: Thank you so much i can finally post news. Not trying to look a gift code in the port but can you do something about not beinv able to roteate your art when posting. I have to turn my phone or tge pic will upload side ways. Rotation would really be a pic help.

Will be looking into this one.

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-05 16:45:01

bless u tom uwu

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-06 08:54:40

At 2/6/19 08:50 AM, RightTime wrote:
At 2/5/19 08:29 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/5/19 08:25 AM, RightTime wrote: I went to edit a long form Blog post and noticed that there's a character limit now that I'm way, way over. It's showing Characters Remaining: -28,858 on this post at the moment, so I can't add anything new to it. I'm assuming this is part of the new Blogging update?
Whoops, making note now!
I checked that blog post today and it says 421 characters remaining, so thank you. I also went to take a look at how many characters are allowed in a new blog post and the limit was 32,768. I'm guessing that is the new character limit for a blog post?

Yup that's the new limit. The old blogs didn't count link URLs towards the limit but those count now. It would probably be best to make an individual blog post for each year, vs one endless blog post that keeps growing. We also might make this a filter option on your user page forum post list, so you can filter by just new topics.

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-06 10:07:12

At 2/6/19 09:05 AM, RightTime wrote:
At 2/6/19 08:54 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/6/19 08:50 AM, RightTime wrote:
At 2/5/19 08:29 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Whoops, making note now!
I checked that blog post today and it says 421 characters remaining, so thank you. I also went to take a look at how many characters are allowed in a new blog post and the limit was 32,768. I'm guessing that is the new character limit for a blog post?
Yup that's the new limit. The old blogs didn't count link URLs towards the limit but those count now. It would probably be best to make an individual blog post for each year, vs one endless blog post that keeps growing. We also might make this a filter option on your user page forum post list, so you can filter by just new topics.
That's a very good idea. Thank you Tom. I'll do that.

Just out of curiosity, was my blog post used as the model for setting the length of how long a blog post could reasonably be? Its so close to the limit that I figured maybe it might be. Plus, I doubt there are many other people out there with a blog post that long.

Yeah it was basically updated to accommodate that post.

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-06 22:45:14

Good shit, Thomas.

Is it possible to edit our forum icons? I haven't seen the command anywhere since, I think, the first big site update one or two years ago

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-07 06:45:36 (edited 2019-02-07 06:47:15)

Blogging experience getting better and better! Good stuff. A little personal tag cloud or custom categories and this'd be pretty much perfect. Oh, and some stats on how many people view your posts, public or no.

Check out the NRC / Hexa #54 (Jun)

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-07 09:11:20

At 2/6/19 10:45 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote: Good shit, Thomas.

Is it possible to edit our forum icons? I haven't seen the command anywhere since, I think, the first big site update one or two years ago

Are you referring to your level icon? If you go to your user page and click the "Edit Profile" link, down the left side you'll see a link to edit your level icon (supporters only).

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-07 09:40:52

Right cool news, and that audio mix page is fuckin awesome

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-07 14:07:46

At 2/7/19 09:11 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Are you referring to your level icon? If you go to your user page and click the "Edit Profile" link, down the left side you'll see a link to edit your level icon (supporters only).

No, I mean the avatar thing where it's my face looking smug. On my profile I can change the profile avatar, but I can't change the forum avatar.

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-07 14:32:26

At 2/7/19 02:07 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote:
At 2/7/19 09:11 AM, TomFulp wrote:

No, I mean the avatar thing where it's my face looking smug. On my profile I can change the profile avatar, but I can't change the forum avatar.

Oh strange, that was all merged so when you update your profile avatar, it should be updating it everywhere. I'll check with the guys on that. To confirm, you've updating the profile picture on your user page since user pages got updated around 10-11 months ago?

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-07 17:29:02

At 2/7/19 02:32 PM, TomFulp wrote: Oh strange, that was all merged so when you update your profile avatar, it should be updating it everywhere. I'll check with the guys on that. To confirm, you've updating the profile picture on your user page since user pages got updated around 10-11 months ago?

Just hope y'all don't fix this in a way that somehow removes avatars users have intentionally not changed since that merge. :|

Check out the NRC / Hexa #54 (Jun)

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-07 23:46:55

At 2/7/19 02:32 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/7/19 02:07 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote:
At 2/7/19 09:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Are you referring to your level icon? If you go to your user page and click the "Edit Profile" link, down the left side you'll see a link to edit your level icon (supporters only).
Oh strange, that was all merged so when you update your profile avatar, it should be updating it everywhere. I'll check with the guys on that. To confirm, you've updating the profile picture on your user page since user pages got updated around 10-11 months ago?

I'm... not entirely sure, but I feel like I have. I'll change it right now and see if it affects the forum one.

Ah, it does change them all. I just assumed you could still have separate avatars like before. Thanks, Tom.

BBS Signature

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-09 01:04:49

At 2/5/19 05:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Have to look into what functionality is necessary there! Are you familiar with what a website needs to add for that? It looks like there are some apps that might do it via their own integrated browsers, let me know if something like this might work for you: https://video-tv-cast.com/

You're right, there's probably a plugin for my browser that I can use to do it. It'd be really handy if it was inside the video player though... this was the best lead I could find for doing it (Google Cast SDK). They're marketing it for mobile devices, but I bet they use something similar for within their own YouTube video player:

https://developers.google.com/cast/

Response to Blogging Updated! 2019-02-09 01:06:08

At 2/5/19 05:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Looks like this is it!

https://github.com/googlecast/CastVideos-chrome