00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of February we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 218 people to reach our goal of 3,100 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in March!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11!

4,052 Views | 34 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The art upload form just got a tagging update; there is now just one text field for entering tags and it will auto-suggest tags based on popularity! Use the arrow keys or mouse to select recommended tags and hit ENTER or click to finalize your selection. If you use commas, the field will wait for you to hit enter and then add all your tags at once. You can click the red “x” next to any tag to remove it.

iu_4927_1.gif

This is a good time to let us know if you think anything should work different functionality-wise. We’ll be tuning things to improve recommendation results as time goes on.

This tag update will next come to the blog posting form, which is updating early next week to use the new text editor and work on mobile. This will be a huge improvement to blogging on NG.

Most important of all, Salad Fingers 11 released yesterday!

Salad Fingers made his NG debut back in 2004 and has since become one of the most legendary Internet animations of all time. You should already be following David Firth aka @doki here on Newgrounds but I would highly recommend also supporting him on Patreon.

While you’re there, also consider supporting HappyHarry. David and Harry are two artists who have pretty much dedicated their lives to making the web more fun and interesting for everyone. If we can’t give these two enough support to pursue their craft full-time, we don’t deserve good things.

If you manage to support both David and Harry and still have money to spare, you’re always welcome to support Newgrounds, too! Keeping a site like this going is not easy nor cheap and every dollar from a fan is a dollar we don’t need to chase from elsewhere.

In other news, I updated our old 2007-era Bytesize archive to video format:

Bytesize was a series of short cartoons that ran on the NG front page in 2007. An even older version existed in the late 90s, if your memory is that good. The archived SWF player wasn’t working anymore and rather than sort that out, I converted the individual entries to video with Swivel and merged them into one big collab. Added bonus: I found a bunch of files that were missing from the original archive and co-authored all the artists; we couldn’t co-author that many people a decade ago.

I hope everyone is enjoying the ongoing updates and all the cool stuff people share here! We’re always working to make Newgrounds a place full of joy and wonder. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out the Pixel Day and Global Game Jam entries. Pixel Day winners will be announced soon.

Also don't miss the Tales of Enki Art Contest or the Monthly Writing Contest!

I’ll leave you with one last link, to this Salad Fingers 11 fan art by @cecameron:

Stay warm out there!

iu_4928_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 12:31:09

I was so excited when I pulled up newgrounds on my phone last night and I saw a new Salad Fingers submission. I texted my friend, who was a fan, and he responded with... Whaaaaat?? 1. David Firth is still doing shit? 2. Newgrounds is still around??

I watched it in the moment, he told me he's going to watch it during his lunch today. I'm going to check in and make sure he remembers haha.

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 12:56:38

Well that's great for artwork with tags and that's great for Salad Fingers. Well I hope you should code in different color headings, outside of the userpage as well. Because everywhere it has blue headings right now. It would be great to change it back to black because I'm used to that color heading for a long time now. Well you and the other admins enjoy the rest of your day!

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 13:15:52

At 1/31/19 12:56 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: Well that's great for artwork with tags and that's great for Salad Fingers. Well I hope you should code in different color headings, outside of the userpage as well. Because everywhere it has blue headings right now. It would be great to change it back to black because I'm used to that color heading for a long time now. Well you and the other admins enjoy the rest of your day!

We did make some changes that bring us closer to letting people set their own themes for browsing the site. The current header color is set to compliment the site skin.

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 14:03:39

Very nice! Tagging stuff would be much more painless now.

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 14:33:38

Seeing a new Salad Fingers come out, and so soon after Starbarians 3, both on Newgrounds feels like... Feels like the timeline is finally coming back together. The continuum is being restored to the way it was supposed to be, before LHC messed up the direction of causality and sent us into the bizarro dimension. Soon, everything will be alright again.

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 16:53:40

Starbarians and Salad Fingers coming back in the same month is insane.

While I've known about SF for quite a while, I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of it.

Yeah, that needs to change.

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 17:03:32

At 1/31/19 04:53 PM, PilotSpikey wrote: Starbarians and Salad Fingers coming back in the same month is insane.

While I've known about SF for quite a while, I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of it.

Not to mention Madness 11! January has been an OG's dream month. Now we just need Ego to stop by with a new Awesome movie.

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 18:45:17

At 1/31/19 05:03 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/31/19 04:53 PM, PilotSpikey wrote: Starbarians and Salad Fingers coming back in the same month is insane.

Not to mention Madness 11! January has been an OG's dream month. Now we just need Ego to stop by with a new Awesome movie.

It would be just like that sunuvabitch to show up and steal all the spotlight, wouldn't it? I highly doubt I'd complain, though.

Just some dork who's loved NG since 2004, yet isn't very artistic himself. You should check out my massive favorites lists.

Regarding tags, I think there's one big feature that NG could benefit from copying:

auto-correcting similar tags

When two different artists want to tag their Street Fighter V fanart, one may go with "Street Fighter V" and the other with "Street Fighter 5". This creates a problem for viewers since they have to comb the system with multiple tags, and a problem for artists since they need to think of all sorts of variations to make their content as visible as possible.

This problem can be solved by making variants auto-correct to one main tag. So if artists tag their work with "Street Fighter V", "Street Fighter 5", "StreetFighterV", "Street_Fighter_5", etc, all these tags will be changed into "Street Fighter V" upon submission.

This auto-correct may still include all the original tags "under the hood", so that if the main tag ever needs to be renamed or its contents revised, there's no data loss.

caveats:

• Usually each website will come to gravitate towards a main tag anyway. However, finding out which one that is by doing sample searches and looking at how much content they catch is not exactly a fun task for both viewers and artists. There's also no telling by how much a "main tag" will edge out its competition: If the above example was weighted 70% in favor of "Street Fighter V" and 30% "Street Fighter 5", that's still a significant enough chunk of potential viewers you don't want to miss out on because of lazy tagging.

• An implementation hurdle is deciding on a main tag and collecting all the variant tags that should fall under its umbrella. Sometimes this is left up to crowdsourcing from regular users, sometimes to mods.

Aw gosh!! I'm loving all of this!

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 20:22:28

At 1/31/19 06:53 PM, MarikBentusi wrote: Regarding tags, I think there's one big feature that NG could benefit from copying:

auto-correcting similar tags

When two different artists want to tag their Street Fighter V fanart, one may go with "Street Fighter V" and the other with "Street Fighter 5". This creates a problem for viewers since they have to comb the system with multiple tags, and a problem for artists since they need to think of all sorts of variations to make their content as visible as possible.
This problem can be solved by making variants auto-correct to one main tag. So if artists tag their work with "Street Fighter V", "Street Fighter 5", "StreetFighterV", "Street_Fighter_5", etc, all these tags will be changed into "Street Fighter V" upon submission.

This auto-correct may still include all the original tags "under the hood", so that if the main tag ever needs to be renamed or its contents revised, there's no data loss.

caveats:

The tag suggestions are already weighted in terms of popularity, so one tag should start to become dominant early on, but we intend to add in some boosting features anyway. For example, picoday2019 is not yet a thing, but we'll have that ready prior to things kicking off there.

In short, good ideas, I'll bridge them into what I'm doing there.

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 21:09:49

It might be cool if once you have entered a few tags, it suggests tags that usually show up in posts along side the tags you have already entered. This might be a cool way of speeding up tagging or also showing what other tags are used with what ever tag you entered. All suggested tags can show up in like a side bar in the tag section and you can click on the ones you want to add, That said this does sound like a bit more of a resource intensive feature but who knows'

Thanks for the new tag update made the process faster and less tedious :D

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-01-31 22:06:28

this is really neat, thank you.

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-01 03:43:09

Nice seems like newgrounda gets better and better I could remember in my past 18 years here how the updates were very far from each other and they are flying by

Keep up the great work to allow us to enjoy all aspects of the grounds

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-01 04:29:22

Truly a month full of surprises.

First, the new Starbarians episode, which I've been waiting for years.

Then, a new Salad Fingers episode, which I've been waiting for years too.

January's been a great month for animation!

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-01 07:21:58

Good thing about the tags (I think, I'm no visual artist, but the auto-suggested tags I remember being a request)! And wow, Salad Fingers was great! January saw the return of three classic series, what a coincidence. Maybe it just shows that things are indeed picking up again!

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-01 07:22:34

At 2/1/19 04:29 AM, Nirag wrote: Truly a month full of surprises.

You forgot Madness Combat 11.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-01 09:04:06

It's great that in the time since I've joined Newgrounds there was a new Madness Combat, I took part in Pixel Day and it was great (also got frontpaged, yeeee), a new starbarians and a new salad fingers.

I remember back in the day having no account and watching some of the staple series on Newgrounds.

It's like I came full circle, it's great!

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-01 11:07:15

At 2/1/19 07:22 AM, TheBoogyFlicker wrote:
At 2/1/19 04:29 AM, Nirag wrote: Truly a month full of surprises.
You forgot Madness Combat 11.

Thanks, I totally forgot this!

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-01 11:55:38

just came here to say that Salad Fingers was real good

RIP NINJAMUFFIN COLLAB NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-01 13:21:08

At 2/1/19 12:35 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: lol def. devid's most disturbing salad fingers yet :P

also will the same tagging functionality be coming to the audio portal as well?

It will, when the project system migrates to the new layout.

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-01 20:16:59

Salad fingers is still on going!? This is most welcoming news.

'I'm an exothermic reaction devise!'

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-02 05:17:04

It's good to see Salad Fingers back and as creepy as ever. Now, when can we have a resurgence of the mighty Burnt Face Man?

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-02 07:41:18

Hey everyone i here to make my presence known on newgrounds that is all.

and here is a track i made https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/845767

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-02 09:22:53

it is!

can to speed run!

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-02 11:52:37

ZOMG, what a great (and still weird) return of Salad Fingers!

Also just rewatched some Bytesize. It's a pretty good time capsule of the style of NG's flash animation back then.

This one by @High-off-cheese is still among my favs:

iu_5244_1736035.jpg

If there's ever a Bytesize revisit, count me IN!!

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-02 12:05:51

At 1/31/19 12:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: The art upload form just got a tagging update; there is now just one text field for entering tags and it will auto-suggest tags based on popularity! Use the arrow keys or mouse to select recommended tags and hit ENTER or click to finalize your selection. If you use commas, the field will wait for you to hit enter and then add all your tags at once. You can click the red “x” next to any tag to remove it.

This is a good time to let us know if you think anything should work different functionality-wise. We’ll be tuning things to improve recommendation results as time goes on.

This tag update will next come to the blog posting form, which is updating early next week to use the new text editor and work on mobile. This will be a huge improvement to blogging on NG.

Most important of all, Salad Fingers 11 released yesterday!

//www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/725602

Salad Fingers made his NG debut back in 2004 and has since become one of the most legendary Internet animations of all time. You should already be following David Firth aka @doki here on Newgrounds but I would highly recommend also supporting him on Patreon.

While you’re there, also consider supporting HappyHarry. David and Harry are two artists who have pretty much dedicated their lives to making the web more fun and interesting for everyone. If we can’t give these two enough support to pursue their craft full-time, we don’t deserve good things.

//www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/724905

If you manage to support both David and Harry and still have money to spare, you’re always welcome to support Newgrounds, too! Keeping a site like this going is not easy nor cheap and every dollar from a fan is a dollar we don’t need to chase from elsewhere.

In other news, I updated our old 2007-era Bytesize archive to video format:

//www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/446961

Bytesize was a series of short cartoons that ran on the NG front page in 2007. An even older version existed in the late 90s, if your memory is that good. The archived SWF player wasn’t working anymore and rather than sort that out, I converted the individual entries to video with Swivel and merged them into one big collab. Added bonus: I found a bunch of files that were missing from the original archive and co-authored all the artists; we couldn’t co-author that many people a decade ago.

I hope everyone is enjoying the ongoing updates and all the cool stuff people share here! We’re always working to make Newgrounds a place full of joy and wonder. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out the Pixel Day and Global Game Jam entries. Pixel Day winners will be announced soon.

Also don't miss the Tales of Enki Art Contest or the Monthly Writing Contest!

I’ll leave you with one last link, to this Salad Fingers 11 fan art by @cecameron:

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cecameron/mr-fingers-and-his-dazzling-dreamboat

Stay warm out there!

I would like a way to react to an author's response to a review

a deep thinking fucko that thinks, known to try things but be too lazy to pursue them

BBS Signature

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-02 14:52:44

@TomFulp

>An even older version existed in the late 90s, if your memory is that good

A lot of my friends used to joke about the earlier bytesize; we'd replace each others names when quoting them.

That one about having sex with the english teacher got a lot of laughs oh my god.

Response to Tag Update and Salad Fingers 11! 2019-02-05 03:03:02

It is awesome to see a new episode of Salad Fingers.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature