00:00
00:00

MWC19 - February - Discussion

776 Views | 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-29 14:17:11

Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the January Writing Competition in this thread.

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-29 22:32:56

I have a question about the poetry bit: style. Depending on what I'm up for the poem will either rhyme or be in haiku form. For the Hallow Eve's writing challenge I tried free verse poetry (if it counts as such) - hoped it linked. Does the style matter?

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-29 22:44:14

At 1/29/19 10:32 PM, TopazAzul wrote: I have a question about the poetry bit: style. Depending on what I'm up for the poem will either rhyme or be in haiku form. For the Hallow Eve's writing challenge I tried free verse poetry (if it counts as such) - hoped it linked. Does the style matter?

Absolutely, no limitation of the poem itself.

I should have been more clear on that. Good question.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-30 10:52:34

Can the entire entry be a poem?

Can it be a little NSFW? Pg13?

Can it end with someone dying? Love always ends badly for me. I probably need my entry to include death.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-30 11:10:26

At 1/30/19 10:52 AM, SevenSeize wrote: Can the entire entry be a poem?

Yes it can, but it doesn't have to be.

Absolutely, it could be rated whatever.

It took me awhile, I kept thinking to myself.. what the hell is page 13?

Can it end with someone dying? Love always ends badly for me. I probably need my entry to include death.

Whatever and however love may be represented is up to you. Love can come in many forms for different people.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-30 15:25:32

At 1/30/19 11:10 AM, Fro wrote:

Whatever and however love may be represented is up to you. Love can come in many forms for different people.

You don't know what "Page 13" is ? It is the unwritten rule that all smutty stuff should not be included in the first twelve pages, you know, like the 9pm Watershed on British T.V. The idea being, that most children wouldn't read that far into a "boring adult book" You know, like how we don't put Hentai on the Front Page of Newgrounds...

... Oh, sorry, I forget, we DO :(

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-30 15:31:28

OK, so I now feel REALLY stupid. Poor Fro really could not have made it any clearer about how there is a separate Discussion thread, but I read his post and in my enthusiasm, just clicked reply without thinking ! So, before it gets deleted, I have copied and pasted...

I always feel averse to poetry from the outside, although I sometimes enjoy reading it when I actually do ( a bit like a child in a bath !) . I used to feel that I could not write poetry, until I realised that lyrics are just poetry with a theme tune :)

Thanks for creating a different and imaginative challenge. It is a sunny day, even though it is January, so I will get out into the sunshine now and write something tonight.

Yes, do write. Yes do come on NG - Yes, do get out and do things as well !- :)

I DID go outside and I DID get quite a bit of garden work done for our charity and I am here in front of my screen on Wednesday/Writing Night, so here goes...

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-30 15:55:55

At 1/30/19 03:25 PM, IceDragon64 wrote:
At 1/30/19 11:10 AM, Fro wrote:

You don't know what "Page 13" is ? It is the unwritten rule that all smutty stuff should not be included in the first twelve pages, you know, like the 9pm Watershed on British T.V. The idea being, that most children wouldn't read that far into a "boring adult book" You know, like how we don't put Hentai on the Front Page of Newgrounds...

... Oh, sorry, I forget, we DO :(

So I can't write about Hentai???

I'm not planning any literotica or anything I just didn't know how much language/ sex I could get away with.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-30 17:39:52

At 1/30/19 03:55 PM, SevenSeize wrote:

So I can't write about Hentai???

I'm not planning any literotica or anything I just didn't know how much language/ sex I could get away with.

As much as you want as long as everything is legal.

I'll read it with a glass of wine in a bubble bath when nobody is home.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-30 19:04:39

Last month is still up right?

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-30 19:07:25

At 1/30/19 07:04 PM, TheAstra wrote: Last month is still up right?

Correct.

I'm not going to have it locked up until Feb. 2 around midnight eastern time.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-30 22:45:59

First draft done. It is now nearly four am; I couldn't stop until it was done. It will take me the rest of Feb to make it what I want the World to see, but you have an entry. With a poem.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-31 11:11:57

Sorry i dont mean to keep posting where the story goes. All kinds of love acceptable fpr the story

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-01-31 11:14:07

At 1/31/19 11:11 AM, Kpeterson88 wrote: Sorry i dont mean to keep posting where the story goes. All kinds of love acceptable fpr the story

Don't worry, they'll get deleted at a later time.

Can the love be brotherly love. I have a story idea its meant to be part of the story im writting. I plan on using you lr monthly challenges part pf the epic. Id either have to jump around in the story. Actually ill just write ot has a stand alone story. Then ill adapt into the epic when i convert it to graphoc novel

Yes, that's perfectly fine.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-04 15:34:04

Please take into consideration the formatting and spacing you're using. Some entries from last month's competition make me go cross eyed when I try to read them.

Try to avoid walls of texts. :P

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-05 18:56:35

At 2/4/19 03:34 PM, Fro wrote: Please take into consideration the formatting and spacing you're using. Some entries from last month's competition make me go cross eyed when I try to read them.

Try to avoid walls of texts. :P

Sorry if mine was one of them. I write elsewhere and copy/paste it in. Perhaps you might do the same in reverse to read it. How would you like it written? Double Spaced or something?

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-06 13:09:33

At 2/5/19 06:56 PM, IceDragon64 wrote:

Sorry if mine was one of them. I write elsewhere and copy/paste it in. Perhaps you might do the same in reverse to read it. How would you like it written? Double Spaced or something?

I'm referencing to some that hadn't discovered their enter button on their keyboard yet. There were no separation between paragraphs or main ideas on a select few and that always makes for a interesting read. Everything runs together.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-06 20:34:19

Hi I was just wondering if the MWC is English only?

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-06 22:00:43

At 2/6/19 08:34 PM, man-cruss wrote: Hi I was just wondering if the MWC is English only?

I believe we only have judges who are English speaking as of right now. If it was in Spanish I could accommodate personally because there's a Spanish speaker in my household, but any other language would be too difficult for translation.

So yes, as of right now probably just English.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-06 22:27:39

At 2/6/19 10:00 PM, Fro wrote:
At 2/6/19 08:34 PM, man-cruss wrote: Hi I was just wondering if the MWC is English only?
I believe we only have judges who are English speaking as of right now. If it was in Spanish I could accommodate personally because there's a Spanish speaker in my household, but any other language would be too difficult for translation.

So yes, as of right now probably just English.

Okay,thanks that's all I needed to know

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-07 18:56:48

Ooooooh shit I have a good one for this. I can't wait to get started.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-12 13:15:50

At 1/29/19 02:17 PM, Fro wrote: Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the January Writing Competition in this thread.

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD.

I was wondering. Could i do an illustrated story. By that i mean adding a series of uploaded artworks with a bit of the story in the auther comments. Each would have the same title 1 2 3 ext. And post a link to each. This woulx let me tell stories the way i do best. It would also let me upload sectipns week by week making it feel more like a series.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-12 16:43:43

At 2/12/19 01:15 PM, Kpeterson88 wrote:

I was wondering. Could i do an illustrated story. By that i mean adding a series of uploaded artworks with a bit of the story in the auther comments. Each would have the same title 1 2 3 ext. And post a link to each. This woulx let me tell stories the way i do best. It would also let me upload sectipns week by week making it feel more like a series.

While I like to keep things open so people can perform in the best way that they can I don't know if this would work for me.

If you wanted to create original art to go along with your story you could do that for sure, but I still want the finished project to be submitted all at once. So I'd be ok with you doing what you said, but instead of posting it in the thread week by week you should only post in the competition thread once.

So yeah, feel free to make the art and put the story together section by section, but you'll have to come up with a way to format that all into one posting for the competition.

I could see that happening in multiple ways.

1) Copy and paste all of the stories from your author comments into the post and put links to the pictures. Remember, I'm reading on a phone most of the time so the less back and forth I have to do the better.

2) The other way could be to just link to all of your pictures in order once they're done and I can read them in order. The only thing is I don't like this because those can be edited at anytime and I want to have a final product that can't be edited.

So if you can do option 1, I'd be ok with it.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-20 11:57:33

As of right now you have a 75% chance of getting into the top 3 and a 25% of winning the competition.

We need a few more entries.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-27 07:00:12

Just wanted to say that even though I'm giving this one a miss (because of college work and my own laziness) I still have interest in entering the competitions and I'll do my best to enter March's.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-02-27 22:12:40

A general note towards everyone:

I'm going to be a day or two late on March's prompt. It's all written and ready, but it's saved on my work computer and I've been ill. If I can get to sleep at a decent time tonight I may attempt work tomorrow, but probably won't.

At 2/27/19 07:00 AM, LiamRomK wrote: Just wanted to say that even though I'm giving this one a miss (because of college work and my own laziness) I still have interest in entering the competitions and I'll do my best to enter March's.

That's good to hear. I think it's hard for people to write back to back competitions. We saw a considerable decrease in entries this time around.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-03-01 10:41:54

At 2/27/19 10:12 PM, Fro wrote: A general note towards everyone:

I'm going to be a day or two late on March's prompt. It's all written and ready, but it's saved on my work computer and I've been ill. If I can get to sleep at a decent time tonight I may attempt work tomorrow, but probably won't.

At 2/27/19 07:00 AM, LiamRomK wrote: Just wanted to say that even though I'm giving this one a miss (because of college work and my own laziness) I still have interest in entering the competitions and I'll do my best to enter March's.
That's good to hear. I think it's hard for people to write back to back competitions. We saw a considerable decrease in entries this time around.

Thanks for taking the time to set these up - just got my submission in!

Hope you feel better man!

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-03-01 12:06:02

I have to say I'm pretty excited to see some quality submissions here.

At 3/1/19 10:41 AM, RainyG wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to set these up - just got my submission in!

Great!

Hope you feel better man!

Still not feeling very good, but I came into work so I could post this today. :P

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-03-03 12:56:56

I've finished my judging. Just waiting for another judge to finish his then we will discuss anything that we disagree on. I wouldn't imagine you'll have to wait too long for the results.

Feel free to check out the other contestants submissions and tell them what you think about them. Also, get started on the March prompt!

I'm going to take my eyes away from the screen for a bit, get some rest, and go back through and finally respond to the people who asked me what I thought about their January submissions.

Response to MWC19 - February - Discussion 2019-03-06 15:09:57

Here are your results for February. I know I still haven't gotten back on personal reviews to those of you that asked in January, but I took better notes this time around.

1st Place - @SevenSeize (Winner of a supporter status..., which she'll have to gift to someone else)

I think I would be good friends with these characters. SevenSeize did an amazing job bringing these characters to life. I felt like I was watching a movie as I could picture how they looked, sounded, and acted. The writing was extremely creative and natural. Very good character development, story telling, and a good ending... something that can be hard to accomplish in a short story.

2nd Place - @123survesh (Winner of a supporter status)

Extremely creative and well written. This was one of the most imaginative stories I've seen in a newgrounds competition. Taking the point of view of the world and love from a small child like this was really fun and well thought out.

3rd Place - @Seth-Kinstle (Winner of a supporter status)

This one was hard for us, we found quite a few submissions that could have taken 3rd. A very relatable and personal story that I can say is very true of my life as well. Seth-Kinstle managed to take a feeling of love that some of us are very fortunate to be able to experience and manages a way to put it into words.

Honorable mention rewards:

You got me to cry award - @NyanaCreation

You got me. I cried. I put myself in the same situation of having to put my daughter through this situation. It hit hard to home and I let it out. Great job putting so much emotion and feeling into your work.

You got me to laugh award - @EntertheJebus

You got me. I laughed. I really needed this after crying from NyanaCreation's submission.

@Zelazon @IceDragon64 @AndrewPixel @RainyG

There wasn't as many submissions this time around, but boy the ones that submitted were really well written. All of the names that didn't get placed were in contention conversations to get placed. That's how well everyone did this time around. I hope nobody thinks they wasted their time with this competition, because even though we didn't have as many submissions they were one of the highest quality batch I've seen.

Thank you to @TheInnerScience for helping me work through the judging process.

Any of the winners this time around can feel free to message me if they want to help judge the March competition. Don't feel obligated though if you were hoping to submit.