00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Censorship

359 Views | 0 Replies

Censorship 2019-01-28 16:27:18

cen·sorship

Dictionary result for censorship

/ˈsensərSHip/

noun

1. 1.
  2. the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security."the regulation imposes censorship on all media"

So as of late I have been going off about the use of censorship and it's regulative way of silencing views and opinions that would not have been discussed in everyday conversation. Why?

Why should I care what a server says about my work or the work of others and their use of cutting the feed to written productions, blogs, and so on?

Because though there may seem to be credible reasons for the broad stroke tool of censorship, there is not a standard for what is obscene and what is not. An artist can display a woman's nude body, to the point most would want to do offensive things in public from viewing the image, and run around naked in celebration of that image and another artist can devise some horrible rendition of a naked woman and it is fine. It is a naked woman, it is not offensive. Everyone loves a naked woman.

Yet the moment that naked woman is interacting with a naked man, or there is some sense of balance in the content of the image. Say that naked woman is pasty white and the man she is with is not pasty white and there is some sense of interracial suggestion in the photo. The board of some online server is not going to be offended that the woman is naked, they are offended that she is naked with a dark-skinned man, and is depicted enjoying herself. That is the image that is censored and then we are told there are not enough, written literature, films, news, etc featuring a diverse balance our the global culture.

It is not that there is not enough. The issue is that there are too many servers willing to censor and shut down an image that allows the thought to exist.

I added a discussion on our foundations twitter account @Scope2Mars a retaliatory rebuttal to Deviant's Art's insistence that a sea-weeded covered sexual image was too explicit, compared to that of a blatantly naked woman.

Listen I can't stand censorship, of any kind. In no way, with my rebuttal was I suggesting that because they have naked women, they should censor that instead of my work. I was suggesting that since I went out of my to cover the image with sea-weed and edit the image as cleanly as I could without marring the actual work, cause I can't stand that black-bar-code none-sense on top of a clearly explicit image of a man half-way between sessions with a woman and it passes inspection as if no one knows what is going on, that because I am not willing to mar the piss out of my work to please a censor-board that is willing to pass a shaved vulva and not call it explicit, then when I go out of my way to cover an image with ridiculous bubbles and sea-weed for the sake of argument, then we should let it go.

What do you get out of lying to yourselves and those that view your servers but suggesting something is too obscene compared to blatant nudity.

Some have said, "They don't care about Tumblr, and Deviant Art and other servers and their censorship policies." They say this until they are told, the mere fact that they mentioned a love affair with a man and woman, through text and script writing is enough to have them reviewed and barred from online publications. We say we don't care and server directors have a right to censor what they want, but do they? How can we say we have a free internet and things are kosher, when the moment we draw a line in the shape of a human, our images are flagged, our sites are blocked, and we are asked to curb our imaginations? How can we say we are ok with censorship for the sake of peace and quite regard, when there is no peace for the artist or storyteller, or game developer that wanted to showcase a love scene between the hero and heroine, but is told that is too offensive and you need not add that to the story line. We are not even going to presume it realistic that man and woman, or woman and woman, or man and man have desires and it is considered offensive to have the conversation.

We should all be made to draw pretty flowers, roses, and animals, right? That is all an artist is good for, painting pretty pictures for restaurants and wall art for homeowners too cheap the pay the price it costs to produce a digital masterpiece worth drooling over.

Well feel free to share your thoughts on censorship: I plan on writing a blog on this issue soon: We would love to hear from you: https://twitter.com/Scope2Mars

Or just PM me, Ill get back to you.

ADVENT VOICE!! HERE TO SERVE!!

BBS Signature