00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Way to turn off pic ratings?

631 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey, all -- I'm brand new here, just figuring all this stuff out -- but I was wondering if there was some way to turn off the star ratings on pix? Thing is, some douche has gone through my gallery, giving everything 1 star -- so, for me, the whole rating system is now skewed & useless -- I'm much more interested in "faves" anyway, so I wouldn't miss the stars if I could turn them off -- so...is there any way to do that? Thx!

Oh -- & also, is there any way to find out who is giving my work bogus ratings, & block them or something? Thx again!

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-25 06:58:05

No and no, in both cases for fear of abuse.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-25 07:05:18

At 1/25/19 06:58 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: No and no, in both cases for fear of abuse.

So...people can abuse the system by going through a gallery & trashing everything...& that kind of abuse is ok...but having a mechanism to stop that...is not ok...hmmmmm...well, alrighty then...

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-25 07:07:41

At 1/25/19 07:05 AM, reuterworld wrote:
At 1/25/19 06:58 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: No and no, in both cases for fear of abuse.
So...people can abuse the system by going through a gallery & trashing everything...& that kind of abuse is ok...but having a mechanism to stop that...is not ok...hmmmmm...well, alrighty then...

No one can vote more than once on a piece. If enough people vote fairly, this wank goblin will be forgotten.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-25 07:13:43

At 1/25/19 07:07 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 1/25/19 07:05 AM, reuterworld wrote:
No one can vote more than once on a piece. If enough people vote fairly, this wank goblin will be forgotten.

Well, I think it's someone w/ multiple profiles, either that or they've got a little hate club -- because most of my pix have 5-7 votes, & they're pretty consistently low -- so there's at least 3 or 4 hate-voters on each piece -- but, ok fine, if there's nothing to be done about it, there's nothing to be done about it -- I'll just have to hope that eventually things level out -- it just gives my gallery a really bad look, for someone who's just starting out here -- leaves a bad taste, y'know? FFS...

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-25 07:30:22

At 1/25/19 07:13 AM, reuterworld wrote: Well, I think it's someone w/ multiple profiles

If this is true, you might want to bring it to the attention of the staff, as that can actually be dealt with.

@TomFulp

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-25 10:32:14

We all have a personal opinion about what things are worth in the terms of a score. Unless you've gone out of your way to make someone upset the voting system here is pretty accurate. If I were to go through your art and vote I'd probably vote mostly 2's across the board. (Which is around where your score is on the couple that I looked at) I don't think this is a case of abuse.

Wouldn't all of our scores be great if we could go around blocking people who gave us bad scores? The current system allows viewers to show artists that they need improvement. It's not really there to pat them on the back and tell them everything will be ok, but instead how to improve. Sorry if you didn't get constructive reviews to go along with those scores and I can review them for you if you'd like.

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-26 17:21:24

At 1/25/19 07:30 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 1/25/19 07:13 AM, reuterworld wrote: Well, I think it's someone w/ multiple profiles
If this is true, you might want to bring it to the attention of the staff, as that can actually be dealt with.

@TomFulp

Well, except I have no way to know if it's true -- but, hey, the guy below said that he'd give my stuff 2 stars, so if there are lots of people like him around here then, k, I'm gonna get a lot of low ratings -- I honestly don't see what makes my work 2-star worthy [or less], but what the hell -- everybody gonna have their own opinion -- thx for your replies -- I'm going to have to rethink whether I want to be on this site, I guess...

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-26 17:32:36

If you mark it as a sketch, and keep it out of the art portal, it won’t have a score.

At 1/26/19 05:21 PM, reuterworld wrote: Well, except I have no way to know if it's true -- but, hey, the guy below said that he'd give my stuff 2 stars, so if there are lots of people like him around here then, k, I'm gonna get a lot of low ratings

If that’s how you see the situation, I think you’d be happier marking the pics as a sketch.

BBS Signature

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-26 17:40:10

At 1/25/19 10:32 AM, Fro wrote: We all have a personal opinion about what things are worth in the terms of a score. Unless you've gone out of your way to make someone upset the voting system here is pretty accurate. If I were to go through your art and vote I'd probably vote mostly 2's across the board. (Which is around where your score is on the couple that I looked at) I don't think this is a case of abuse.

Wouldn't all of our scores be great if we could go around blocking people who gave us bad scores? The current system allows viewers to show artists that they need improvement. It's not really there to pat them on the back and tell them everything will be ok, but instead how to improve. Sorry if you didn't get constructive reviews to go along with those scores and I can review them for you if you'd like.

Frankly, I don't see the point of the scores -- that's why I was asking if it could be turned off -- me, personally, I wouldn't ever give someone a low score -- if I don't like the stuff, I just pass it by, I don't need to crap on someone else's work -- it seems really petty & pathetic to go through someone's gallery & just downvote it because, well, just because you can -- if people are just going to swing by my page & just drop low ratings on my work, then the whole rating system is pretty useless to me, & I'd rather not give the haters a platform, y'know?

& do you realize you just contradicted yourself? First you say that we all have a "personal opinion", then you say that the voting system is "pretty accurate" -- but, if the system is all just personal opinions, then there is no objective standard, & there's no way for the scores to be "accurate" -- just because a bunch of people give something a lot of stars doesn't make it objectively "good", that just makes it "popular" -- & having some people just tell me that my work isn't popular is not in any way going to help me "improve" -- bottom line, I'm not here to put up "popular" art, I'm just here to put up what I do, for the however many or few that appreciate it -- but, hey, if jokers like you want to drop 2 stars on my work, so be it -- y'all can go get effed...

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-26 17:44:05

At 1/26/19 05:32 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: If you mark it as a sketch, and keep it out of the art portal, it won’t have a score.

At 1/26/19 05:21 PM, reuterworld wrote: Well, except I have no way to know if it's true -- but, hey, the guy below said that he'd give my stuff 2 stars, so if there are lots of people like him around here then, k, I'm gonna get a lot of low ratings
If that’s how you see the situation, I think you’d be happier marking the pics as a sketch.

Yeah, I noticed that -- but, thing is, I still want exposure, just like any other artist -- what's the point of putting stuff up, if it doesn't get seen? I think it's pretty lame that that's the trade-off, tbh -- but, whatevs -- I'll either just put up w/ the haters, or I'll find some other site to put my work on -- thx for the reply

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-27 05:44:29

At 1/26/19 05:21 PM, reuterworld wrote: Well, except I have no way to know if it's true

The staff would.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Way to turn off pic ratings? 2019-01-27 08:01:54

At 1/27/19 05:44 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 1/26/19 05:21 PM, reuterworld wrote: Well, except I have no way to know if it's true
The staff would.

I’d be careful about involving the staff.

Either it confirms there’s some arsehole stalking reuterworld and zero bombing his work ... or it doesn’t. Both cases don’t lead to a happy conclusion.

Reuterworld values people who fan and fave his submissions, and enjoys making his pics.

BBS Signature