00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Give me a theme

3,131 Views | 52 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Give me a theme 2019-01-22 22:23:20

So every Thursday there's a One Hour Compo I participate in whenever I can. In a nutshell, we're given a random theme, be it a picture, a description, whatever, and we are given an hour to compose something for it. It's a lot of fun for me, and I want to try to do more things like that. Plus, I'd like to try to build my audience while I'm at it.

So... give me a random theme and I'll try to compose a piece of music for it!

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-23 02:52:45 (edited 2019-01-23 02:53:52)

Coffee shop hipster with rainbow coloured hair has a freak out when they can’t post a flyer advertising their talents as a musician on the bulletin board. A mix of smooth jazz and happy hardcore.

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-23 08:54:39

Well, I just looked at your profile and it sounds like you've got a pretty interesting job, so how about something aquatic - maybe the search for and finding the most fantastic treasure.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-23 17:54:19

At 1/23/19 02:52 AM, Syntrus wrote: Coffee shop hipster with rainbow coloured hair has a freak out when they can’t post a flyer advertising their talents as a musician on the bulletin board. A mix of smooth jazz and happy hardcore.

Wow, this is very.... specific. Well, I asked for a theme and I got one XD

I'm not asking for genres though, so I can't guarantee that's what it will sound like. I don't even know what hardcore sounds like, happy or otherwise :P

We'll just have to wait and see where I go with this.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-23 17:58:25

At 1/23/19 08:54 AM, Possibly wrote: Well, I just looked at your profile and it sounds like you've got a pretty interesting job, so how about something aquatic - maybe the search for and finding the most fantastic treasure.

I've actually got a few song title ideas for something along those lines, so that definitely sounds doable. In fact, I already have a piece called "Pottery Shards" that somewhat fits into that category, if you want to check that out. In the meanwhile, I'll come up with something new for the theme ^^

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-23 20:19:49

At 1/23/19 05:54 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
At 1/23/19 02:52 AM, Syntrus wrote: Coffee shop hipster with rainbow coloured hair has a freak out when they can’t post a flyer advertising their talents as a musician on the bulletin board. A mix of smooth jazz and happy hardcore.
I'm not asking for genres though, so I can't guarantee that's what it will sound like. I don't even know what hardcore sounds like, happy or otherwise :P

If you do this and it has a “freak out at the coffee shop vibe” I will promote the hell out of it.

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-23 20:37:03

At 1/23/19 08:19 PM, Syntrus wrote:
At 1/23/19 05:54 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
If you do this and it has a “freak out at the coffee shop vibe” I will promote the hell out of it.

I can't say I'm familiar with coffee shops, so I'll have to use my imagination as to what it should sound like.

I must channel the espresso.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-27 14:22:29

This is what I came up with

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-28 09:02:16

At 1/22/19 10:23 PM, GreyHooves wrote: So every Thursday there's a One Hour Compo I participate in whenever I can. In a nutshell, we're given a random theme, be it a picture, a description, whatever, and we are given an hour to compose something for it. It's a lot of fun for me, and I want to try to do more things like that. Plus, I'd like to try to build my audience while I'm at it.

A walk in the park?

"If you don't stand up for yourself... everyone will walk all over you." -Donald Trump

BBS Signature

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-28 10:27:47

At 1/22/19 10:23 PM, GreyHooves wrote: So every Thursday there's a One Hour Compo I participate in whenever I can. In a nutshell, we're given a random theme, be it a picture, a description, whatever, and we are given an hour to compose something for it. It's a lot of fun for me, and I want to try to do more things like that. Plus, I'd like to try to build my audience while I'm at it.

A vending machine that sells individual emotions.

(Jolly) Roger Hanna

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-28 17:09:18

At 1/28/19 09:02 AM, belthagor wrote:

A walk in the park?

A park.... OF DOOM!?

...nah. I'll see what I can do :P

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-28 17:10:21

At 1/28/19 10:27 AM, RogerHanna wrote:

There's an interesting one. We'll have to see how I approach something like that

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-29 00:22:01

dreamy stupid

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-29 16:47:42

At 1/29/19 12:22 AM, golep wrote:

dreamy stupid

Alrighty. I feel the instrumentation will be key to this one :)

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-29 21:06:27

At 1/29/19 04:47 PM, GreyHooves wrote:

dreamy stupid
Alrighty. I feel the instrumentation will be key to this one :)

Thank you so much send me the theme when you are done.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-30 06:04:54

PICKLES!

I love listening to Van Halen, playing with kittens and drinking hard liquor.

BBS Signature

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-30 09:35:01

Spiderman

Want a review lemme know! Collab, remix, tips, whatever, just get in touch.

BBS Signature

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-30 17:26:59

At 1/30/19 06:04 AM, KrinnValKhristi wrote: PICKLES!

Pickles huh? I'lll... see what I can do ^^;

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-30 17:28:30

At 1/30/19 09:35 AM, Jewelz123 wrote: Spiderman

You know, I'm not really familiar with any Spiderman themes to start with, so it might be interesting to see how what I make compares.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-30 17:35:07

Thank you for all the suggestions, and keep them coming! I'll be attempting to finish these in the order I receive them, so look forward to it. Some pieces may take longer than others for various reasons, so I ask for your patience as well.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-31 02:18:57

At 1/30/19 05:28 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
You know, I'm not really familiar with any Spiderman themes to start with, so it might be interesting to see how what I make compares.

Theres a broad stroke tbh. The cartoon has a faster paced theme with those 90s vibes, whereas the 2002 film had a more orchestral bit with long strings, the recent game has a similar score to the Maguire films, whereas the recent spiderman film has nothing memorable tbh xD

If you do go for it, would love to hear! Did you say the challenge is max 1 hour of composition? :O

Want a review lemme know! Collab, remix, tips, whatever, just get in touch.

BBS Signature

Response to Give me a theme 2019-01-31 17:57:29

At 1/31/19 02:18 AM, Jewelz123 wrote:
At 1/30/19 05:28 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
Theres a broad stroke tbh. The cartoon has a faster paced theme with those 90s vibes, whereas the 2002 film had a more orchestral bit with long strings, the recent game has a similar score to the Maguire films, whereas the recent spiderman film has nothing memorable tbh xD

If you do go for it, would love to hear! Did you say the challenge is max 1 hour of composition? :O

I'll probably just look at some images of Spiderman and come up with something on the spot rather than listen to Spiderman themes in the past for a reference. I think it'd be more fun and interesting that way.

The One Hour Compos is something I do every Thursday, but I was just wanting to get random themes without the one hour restriction. That being said, when I make music like I normally do, I tend to make it piecemeal over several days. For the themes I'm getting from here, I'll probably attempt to finish them in one sitting each, so I'll probably do them in the order I receive them, and whenever I have a few hours or more of free time. So likely on the weekends or on my days off.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-02-03 15:55:39

At 1/23/19 08:54 AM, Possibly wrote: Well, I just looked at your profile and it sounds like you've got a pretty interesting job, so how about something aquatic - maybe the search for and finding the most fantastic treasure.

Here ya go.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-02-10 17:07:37

At 1/28/19 09:02 AM, belthagor wrote:

A walk in the park?

Aaaand done.

I just returned from being out to sea not too long ago, and I was wanting to finish this up as soon as I could. Hope you like it!

Response to Give me a theme 2019-02-27 22:17:59

So, just letting everyone know I haven't forgotten about this, I've just been out at sea for almost 2 weeks with no internet or anything. Not a guarantee, but I'm gonna try to have the next one finished by the end of the week

Response to Give me a theme 2019-03-03 19:43:47

At 1/28/19 10:27 AM, RogerHanna wrote:

Here's my attempt. This was definitely one of the harder themes to compose to, but is a really cool concept.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-03-21 23:15:35

Alrighty, so I've got the next one just about done, and will likely upload it tomorrow. In the meanwhile, I'll only have 2 themes left at that point, so submit more themes please! It may take a while between uploads but at least they can be happy little surprises at that point! :D

Response to Give me a theme 2019-03-22 16:14:17

At 3/22/19 10:29 AM, IoTheEternal wrote: Make a song about household appliances.

Alrighty. You know, I can already think of at least two very different ways to approach this one.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-03-22 19:26:13

dreamy stupid

Here's what I got. It ended out a lot more intense and dark for the theme than I initially intended, but I think it turned out pretty good overall.

Response to Give me a theme 2019-03-22 23:14:49

At 3/22/19 09:56 PM, Chron-amut wrote:
At 3/22/19 04:14 PM, GreyHooves wrote:
At 3/22/19 10:29 AM, IoTheEternal wrote: Make a song about household appliances.
Alrighty. You know, I can already think of at least two very different ways to approach this one.
well let me give you an example..

ODE TO STOVE!

//www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/355734

Not really what I was thinking of. Besides, I don't do vocals in my music. I have something much different in mind...