00:00
00:00

Resident Evil 2 remake

507 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Who's getting it? Thoughts on the demo? For me the demo raised it from "I'll play it eventually" to an instant pre-order.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-22 14:07:07

Counting down the hours at this point.

Crossing my fingers that the screenshot of "hardcore" difficulty with ink ribbons back in is real.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-22 14:15:04 (edited 2019-01-22 14:16:07)

At 1/22/19 02:07 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Crossing my fingers that the screenshot of "hardcore" difficulty with ink ribbons back in is real.

It's more than likely real. In RE7's Madhouse mode you had to use cassettes to save & that seemed to be well received.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-22 14:23:39

At 1/22/19 02:15 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 1/22/19 02:07 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Crossing my fingers that the screenshot of "hardcore" difficulty with ink ribbons back in is real.
It's more than likely real. In RE7's Madhouse mode you had to use cassettes to save & that seemed to be well received.

Tempted to go for it first time, although in an ideal world I'd prefer normal strength enemies with ink ribbons rather than only being able to have them if you also take the stronger enemies too.

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-22 14:32:59 (edited 2019-01-22 14:33:14)

Zapping system got confirmed!

There's now a "B" scenario now.

iu_3723_4724625.png

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-22 14:54:30

At 1/22/19 02:32 PM, solitonmedic wrote: Zapping system got confirmed!

There's now a "B" scenario now.

From what I've read the changes are relatively minor between A and B compared to the original, though.

Ghost Survivors sounds more interesting. Random element to it, with multiple playable characters, makes it sound like a rogue-like Mercenaries mode, which I'm absolutely all for.

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-22 15:23:27

Wasn't interested in at first compared to Resi 7, but the reviews are definitely convincing me to play it. Really I'm just impressed by how gory the remake is.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-22 15:39:43

At 1/22/19 12:26 PM, Jackho wrote: For me the demo raised it from "I'll play it eventually" to an instant pre-order.

Yeah same here holmes. RE4 is my favorite game of all time and Dead Space couldn't fill the void that the demo did.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-22 18:11:46

So now that zapping is confirmed, the big question.

Claire A Leon B, or Leon A Claire B?

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-22 19:27:59

The demo was pretty fun. I'm holding out for a big price drop first though.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-23 09:54:38

At 1/22/19 02:15 PM, Jackho wrote:

Capcom confirmed that Hardcore mode with Ink Ribbons WILL be coming back, nothing to worry about there. :)

I am super glad that Tofu / The Tofu Survivor is coming back, that mode was incredibly hard but also hilarious.

Some of the changes made such as finding Lickers later and Mr. X having his fedora like he did in beta concept art from the early 1997 time period are also nice changes.

At 1/22/19 06:11 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: So now that zapping is confirmed, the big question.

Claire A Leon B, or Leon A Claire B?

From what I have read, seems Leon A / Claire B is the canon scenario but.... both of them are being hybridized and streamlined into one scenario for the main game. So events that would have occurred in one scenario or the other now occurs in one story.

Request Reviews // #7 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer

Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-23 11:55:40

Not gonna be getting it yet since I don't any system to play it on but I look forward to playing it on PC.

A lot of people were complaining it wouldn't be a tank control game but I think the problem was expecting it to be one in the first place. Of course Capcom would want to sell it to as many people as possible and that's not a bad thing.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-24 16:35:17

Looks like it unlocks on Steam at midnight, rather than 6PM on release day like most games, which means I am not sleeping tonight.

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-24 19:18:16

There's already full playthroughs on Youtube.. damn.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-24 21:31:58

Oh man it's goooood.

No spoilers, but there's been at least two pants shitting scares so far. Just got into the basement as Claire.

Only let down so far was the licker intro. Not as good as the original.

Glad I didn't go for Hardcore. There's been several times I've NOPE'd out of a room and ran back to a save room before even attempting it.

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-24 23:34:28

At 1/24/19 09:31 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Oh man it's goooood.

A few more thoughts before bed.

Mr. X is a game changer. Suddenly the game is Alien: Isolation. Maybe my favourite moment so far was coming out of the STARS office, seeing him in the hallway with his back to me, and promptly skulking away in the other direction. I've only been dealing with him for about 20 minutes, but it's the tensest the game has been so far. The prospect of a whole game of this in a Nemesis remake might give me a heart attack, though.

One balance thing to comment on, it does a good job of keeping you constantly light on ammo (although I am sat on a ton of gunpowder, I've only touched it to make some acid rounds before the first Birkin fight), but it leaves you absolutely swimming in health items. I'm sat on like 4 R+G+B herbs, 4 R+Gs, 3 first aid sprays and a couple of greens. Maybe Mr. X is here to drain that.

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-25 18:47:49

Finished Claire A. Just over 7 hours, so if B is a similar length that'll be about the perfect length for this sort of game.

Very good, although I do vastly prefer the police station to the more linear areas you go to once you leave it. Could have used one or two more enemy types, or even just more encounters with the ones you do run into. The dogs show up once and it's in an area designed to be sprinted through so I never shot a single one.

Ths section where Mr. X pursues you is absolutely the highlight. Very much looking forward getting my revenge on him in Leon B.

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-26 01:09:12

At 1/25/19 06:47 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Ths section where Mr. X pursues you is absolutely the highlight. Very much looking forward getting my revenge on him in Leon B.

I love what the sound team did for his footsteps.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-26 11:29:14

it's pretty cool that RE2 is getting a remake. i enjoyed the original.

it will be pretty awesome to see the tofu survivor in HD.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-26 13:08:50

At 1/26/19 11:29 AM, siddikinz wrote: it's pretty cool that RE2 is getting a remake. i enjoyed the original.

GETTING...?

It was released last day.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-26 15:42:30

At 1/26/19 01:08 PM, neurolich wrote:
At 1/26/19 11:29 AM, siddikinz wrote: it's pretty cool that RE2 is getting a remake. i enjoyed the original.
GETTING...?

It was released last day.

oh, thanks for correcting me!

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-26 19:19:34

Man, Leon B is kicking my ass.

Hallway with 3 lickers, two zombies, and Mr. X in pursuit so as soon as you fire anything, or even alert the zombies, he'll be on his way.

Died more there than I did in all of Claire A.

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-27 16:28:03

So... has anybody played it yet? If so, beaten it?

I thought it was pretty damn good, and I got pretty much what I expected out of it. The nostalgic element was nice, and apart from that it was still objectively a great game. Newcomers to the series should feel the same way as well. I don't wanna say too much for those who haven't played / want to / are going to, so there ya go.

A-

Would pre-order again.

domestic violence can be funny too!

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-27 23:10:28 (edited 2019-01-27 23:10:34)

I'll get it eventually.

I really liked Resident Evil 2 back in the day.

I used to have a Mr. X action figure and it was sweet.

iu_4480_6599896.jpg

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-28 10:54:45

Now that we've beaten it in every story mode the only thing left to do is to try and unlock everything and get through it on some speed runs. Not worth the money with how short of a game it is, but it's definitely what I wanted the Resident Evil games of old to feel like back when I was a kid.

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-01-28 11:44:07

iu_4527_4724625.jpg

I'm so sorry

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-02-04 12:39:07 (edited 2019-02-04 12:41:02)

So I got the game Tuesday, went for Leon A hardcore and just beat Claire B (also hardcore) last night. I'm convinced Leon A on hardcore is one of the best horror games ever made and one of my top games of this gen, it's relentlessly stressful. Would highly recommend starting on that route.

I got a bit dismayed at first with the 2nd run and how it kinda throws you in at the deep end, so I turned it down to standard for a bit. Switched back to hardcore within about 20 minutes, standard is absolutely neutered in comparison. The amount of damage you can take, enemy health, ammo, inventory space, knife durability, auto saves, infinite typewriter saves, I'm actually blown away how big the difference is.

Here's my absolutely pro results:

iu_5569_2680232.png

At 1/24/19 09:31 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Only let down so far was the licker intro. Not as good as the original.

Damn, completely disagree. The dread I felt here walking through the original licker hallway and the 'oh fuck' when it moves past the window on the third floor (along with the window breaking) got more out of me than any licker encounter in the original games. When it finally shows up on the 2F hallway I completely froze.

When I came back out of the Stars office I assumed it was still on the ceiling. I walk south, turn the corner, come face to face with the fucking thing and end up very slowly backing up the hallway as it walks toward me, it gets alerted before I reach the office and have to make a break for it. The whole thing was absolute pant shittery.

At 1/24/19 11:34 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Mr. X is a game changer.

Mr X absolutely steals the show and it's genius how the game ups the tension so much just when you get confident. Another highlight is in getting the level III wrist band in the plant 43 area, you expect the dead bodies around the band to get up but instead Mr X fucking busts through the window and now you're stuck between him and the ivy monsters.

One balance thing to comment on, it does a good job of keeping you constantly light on ammo but it leaves you absolutely swimming in health items

I had a good stockpile of both on Claire B, but Leon A was a constant shortage of all supplies. I spent the entire lab section limping around on danger health and the only recovery item is one green herb. Almost every new situation had me looking at my inventory and wondering 'how the fuck am I going to do this?' It's such a constant up hill battle, it's great.

At 1/25/19 06:47 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Very good, although I do vastly prefer the police station to the more linear areas you go to once you leave it.

Agree on this, the police station is definitely the best area, but I do like the lab and the sewers are good enough.

Could have used one or two more enemy types, or even just more encounters with the ones you do run into. The dogs show up once and it's in an area designed to be sprinted through so I never shot a single one.

The dogs show up twice, the kennels and then the streets as Claire. I wouldn't say no to more enemies but there were enough encounters for me.

At 1/26/19 07:19 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Man, Leon B is kicking my ass.

I honestly think Claire's weapons are way out of wack and a bit game breaking. Leon's weapons are far more challenging, better balanced and (esp on bosses) more rewarding to use, imo.

Every boss killed me a few times as Leon but Claire's SMG absolutely tore through them. Lickers, G mutants and Plantboys were nowhere near as threatening either. I didn't kill *any* lickers as Leon because they were so threatening, but Claire can just hit them with an acid round and keep walking.

Same with the plants, super threatening as Leon where you have to waste ammo hitting the bulbs each time or try to sustain flamethrower fire, but Claire can just wack them anywhere on the body with either an acid or flame round, if it's a flame round you can even down multiple in one.

I was sitting on an ammo stockpile by the end of Claire B and yet I think I killed more enemies, at least more non-zombie BOWs, I think it's much easier to get a definite kill as Claire. Even using the shotgun as Leon is a bit of a crapshoot trying to use it effectively and a really good balance of risk/reward trying to get close enough for a critical headshot on a zombie. It's very easy to end up wasting a lot of shells on just one zombie.

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-02-05 10:58:21

God damn, 4th Survivor is absolute banana bread

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-02-05 15:29:38

At 2/5/19 10:58 AM, Jackho wrote: God damn, 4th Survivor is absolute banana bread

I was on for sub-12 minute run and got insta-killed by an ivy in the alley outside.

Turned the game off.

BBS Signature

Response to Resident Evil 2 remake 2019-02-05 16:10:36

At 2/5/19 03:29 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote:
At 2/5/19 10:58 AM, Jackho wrote: God damn, 4th Survivor is absolute banana bread
I was on for sub-12 minute run and got insta-killed by an ivy in the alley outside.

My finish time was 11:24. There's a big element of luck but I think it definitely helps to save a grenade for the alley, if you're down to your last grenade just let yourself get chomped instead of counter attacking.

Turned the game off.

Lol. I've been trying to speedrun for the S rank trophies (alternating between standard and hardcore) and I've had enough moments like this.

The worst part is how disorienting it can be after you take a hit. Earlier today I was on my way out of RPD and hadn't used a save yet, Mr X punches me but for some reason I get pushed *past* him rather than falling backwards. I end up running in the wrong direction and cornering myself before realizing, whole run out the window.