00:00
00:00

Album of the Week ♫

1,666 Views | 131 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-10 19:43:36

Hey, do you listen to MUSIC? This might be the thread for you!!!!!!!!

HOW IT GOES:

1. We throw our names into a randomizer
  2. Whoever gets picked chooses an album for the following week
  3. You listen to the album either in your own time, or as part of a totally radical listen-along discord group so we can REACT together.
  4. Post your thoughts on the album and give it a rating, then gear up for the next album

To kick things off here's a perfectly balanced list developed by a team of scientists, if you're interested drop a post and vote on which album you want to kick off the thread with. Each person who votes will be added to the randomized pool, one of whom will pick the next album.

1. Madvillain - Madvillainy (Hip Hop / 2004)

Classic collaboration between hip hop titans MF Doom and Madlib. Complex lyrics over smooth old school

instrumentals. Commonly considered one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time.

2. Brockhampton - Saturation (Hip Hop / 2017)

Self professed best boyband since one direction and probably the most hyped rap group active today. Super catchy

songs with an infectious camaraderie and creative energy between the band's many members.

3. Andrew Jackson Jihad - Knife Man - (Folk Punk / 2011)

Upbeat folk aesthetics with punk sentiment, with memorable, comedic and sometimes bizarre yet always earnest lyrics.

4. Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance (Post-Punk / 2018)

Grand, intense british punk rock with a biting political edge. Probably the most notable and widely acclaimed rock

album of last year.

5. The Doors - The Doors (Classic Rock / 1967) -

Beloved 60's acid rock with legendary frontman / lyricist Jim Morrison. Dark, poetic, trippy and full of hard rock energy.

The 27th most ranked record on all-time lists according to AcclaimedMusic.

iu_1735_2680232.png

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-10 19:50:01

Rejoice, for it is the age of the second coming.

Throwing my vote in for Idles, I want to listen to some pop culture references angrily twisted with a political touch.

RYM

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-10 20:21:45

Oh wow, I love this! I'm in!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-10 20:23:24

At 1/10/19 07:50 PM, Oolaph wrote: Rejoice, for it is the age of the second coming.

Throwing my vote in for Idles, I want to listen to some pop culture references angrily twisted with a political touch.

I honestly cannot choose, so I'll jump on your bandwagon.

Let's do Idles

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-10 21:08:20

I'm kind of leaning towards Madvillainy for the track list alone

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-11 00:22:01

https://www.last.fm/user/kit4loose/library/albums

my top album for past 10 years LOL

one time i listened to rhubarb at my moms in the middle of the boreal forest in such a vivid state it was intense. i guess u need to be autistic or schizophrenic or something to perceive it that way. you probably have to avoid neurotoxins and excitotoxins like fluoride and MSG too and mercury laden high fructose corn syrup u fallen Pal LOL

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-11 00:48:28

At 1/11/19 12:22 AM, finicalpricklez wrote: https://www.last.fm/user/kit4loose/library/albums

my top album for past 10 years LOL

one time i listened to rhubarb at my moms in the middle of the boreal forest in such a vivid state it was intense. i guess u need to be autistic or schizophrenic or something to perceive it that way. you probably have to avoid neurotoxins and excitotoxins like fluoride and MSG too and mercury laden high fructose corn syrup u fallen Pal LOL

nice collection, I don't see any Darrell Fitton/Bola tho

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-11 01:01:19

ive got his albums but 2 lazy to fix the cue sheet so the stuff gets scrobbled LOL

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-11 08:20:18

No thanks I've been listening to Handheld & Rigidly Digital on loop for 15 years and don't plan to stop now.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-11 08:36:56

Seems like a fun way to find new musicians.

Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance

Will give the album a listen when I have time to.

Request Reviews // #7 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer

Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-12 12:58:38 (edited 2019-01-12 13:00:20)

Idles it is then,but when does the first week officially start of?

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-12 22:51:54 (edited 2019-01-12 22:52:23)

At 1/12/19 12:58 PM, argile wrote: Idles it is then,but when does the first week officially start of?

We were planning on having to take a little more time deciding on the first album, but since the choice has been pretty much unanimous we'll go ahead and get things started right away.

The official first NG BBS Album of the Week is IDLES - JOY AS AN ACT OF RESISTANCE. You've got until January 19th to give this little record a spin and type up your thoughts on it, but if you're a little late we'll probably forgive you.

Check back tomorrow and we'll give a super exclusive Discord invite to a totally cool live listening party as well as put everyone's names into a big ol' lottery rolling machine to see who'll choose the album for next week.

RYM

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 13:55:27 (edited 2019-01-13 13:59:27)

Okie Dokie everyone, at 6:00PM-ish EST tonight we'll have our first ever ALBUM OF THE WEEK LISTENING PARTY.

Super-mega-ultra-hyper-exclusive 24hr Discord Link: https://discord.gg/8YDk8n

Links for listening: Bandcamp | Spotify | Apple

iu_2007_3064767.png

After writing everyone's names on little lotto balls and rolling them all in a giant cage, the very first name we pulled out was @sevenseize! Congratulations!

To help keep future choices under control, we came up with a few loose rules to follow:

• Be sure to check that your choice is available to stream online, we don't want to force anyone to pay for an album they may not like and we would never ever encourage illegally downloading.
  • Compilations as a whole aren't banned, but try to avoid "Greatest Hits" and similar releases.
  • Keep the running time reasonable. Just because you love listening to a 6 hour collection of experimental ambient works doesn't mean everyone else does.
  • Bonus points if you can choose an album from a different genre and decade from the previous release.

With those little guidelines in mind, you've got until Friday to post your choice. We'll plan on having the next listening party this coming Saturday, so make it a good one or everyone will be yelling at you in REAL TIME!

@argile

@finicalpricklez

@jackho

@nekomika

@S3C

@sevenseize

@Zornuzkull

RYM

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 14:01:04

At 1/13/19 01:55 PM, Oolaph wrote: Okie Dokie everyone, at 6:00PM-ish EST tonight we'll have our first ever ALBUM OF THE WEEK LISTENING PARTY.

After writing everyone's names on little lotto balls and rolling them all in a giant cage, the very first name we pulled out was @sevenseize! Congratulations!

To help keep future choices under control, we came up with a few loose rules to follow:

With those little guidelines in mind, you've got until Friday to post your choice. We'll plan on having the next listening party this coming Saturday, so make it a good one or everyone will be yelling at you in REAL TIME!

@argile
@finicalpricklez
@jackho
@nekomika
@S3C
@sevenseize
@Zornuzkull

Oh snap!

Ok I'll pick us something good.

Gotta figure out discord again too, it's been like 2 years since I've been on there.

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 14:52:04

At 1/13/19 02:51 PM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 1/13/19 02:01 PM, SevenSeize wrote:
At 1/13/19 01:55 PM, Oolaph wrote: Okie Dokie everyone, at 6:00PM-ish EST tonight we'll have our first ever ALBUM OF THE WEEK LISTENING PARTY.

@argile
@finicalpricklez
@jackho
@nekomika
@S3C
@sevenseize
@Zornuzkull
Oh snap!

Ok I'll pick us something good.

Gotta figure out discord again too, it's been like 2 years since I've been on there.
ive already checked it out didnt last long... amateurs...

You can get on discord with us later just for morale support.

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 15:15:14

Man its crazy how in 2017 I LOVED brockhampton, fast forward to 2019 and I'm starting to think they're overrated as fuck.

Not a album but the ep Consolation by Protomartyr is so fucking good. They got kelley deal from The Breeders to do some guest vocals and it adds a sense of feminity but a tough/ vague kind of one. Fave track from it is You Always Win

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 15:27:10 (edited 2019-01-13 15:27:24)

At 1/13/19 03:15 PM, TheMajormel wrote: Man its crazy how in 2017 I LOVED brockhampton, fast forward to 2019 and I'm starting to think they're overrated as fuck.

Their energy was a huge breath of fresh air when they first got big, maybe now it just seems a bit less novel. I've enjoyed almost all of the Saturation material with a few exceptions, namely the "sweet quiet tracks" which i thought were p lazy. I don't come back to their stuff often, but whenever i hear them mentioned there's that spark of "oh right that shit is FUN"

Not a album but the ep Consolation by Protomartyr is so fucking good. They got kelley deal from The Breeders to do some guest vocals and it adds a sense of feminity but a tough/ vague kind of one. Fave track from it is You Always Win

I've heard their name tossed around a few times but never given them a spin, I'll put that on my to-listen list.

RYM

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 17:13:56

It's almost time, we're getting closer

hot action goin down in the discord right now

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 17:59:26

aight party is starting, we're going live, you're not cool if you're not there

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 19:52:24 (edited 2019-01-13 19:52:59)

That was a great first listening party, thanks to everyone for stopping by. If you're reading this right after i post it, you still have time to join the after party where everyone's the DJ! Despite our best judgement, we're even letting @Malachy spin some digital wax!

This was the second time I'd fully listened to Joy as an Act of Resistance, and I think I liked it even more the second time around. The lyrics definitely punch harder when you know they're coming and have time to digest them, and the band's got some ENERGY all the way through. Great stuff, will have to give their earlier album another listen sometime soon and see if that grows on me in the same way.

RYM

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 20:07:46

This is a fantastic list. I gotta vote for Madvillain. MF DOOM for life.

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 20:14:10

At 1/13/19 08:07 PM, BadHorse413 wrote: This is a fantastic list. I gotta vote for Madvillain. MF DOOM for life.

Sorry, but you missed the voting window for this week. From here on a random user from the thread will pick the album each week, but I can put you into the drawing pool for the week after SevenSeize chooses.

RYM

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 20:17:47

Dear Discord room people,

I know I said I'd be right back.

I decided to take a bubble bath.

My apologies.

I owe you each $3.50

Love,

I Hate Seven Seize

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 22:28:34

@argile
@finicalpricklez
@jackho
@nekomika
@S3C
@sevenseize
@Zornuzkull

Okay. I know you think I'm stalling

but I just realized--- I'll be on a business trip this weekend! I won't be able to make the discord party, most likely. I actually am working all day Saturday and then my bosses and I will go out for dinner.

Can I be the NEXT week, I wanna come to my discord party so I can hear everyone bitch about how horrible my choice was.

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-13 22:42:17 (edited 2019-01-13 22:45:32)

At 1/13/19 10:28 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Okay. I know you think I'm stalling

but I just realized--- I'll be on a business trip this weekend! I won't be able to make the discord party, most likely. I actually am working all day Saturday and then my bosses and I will go out for dinner.

Can I be the NEXT week, I wanna come to my discord party so I can hear everyone bitch about how horrible my choice was.

No problem, buddro. We'll miss you next week, but I'll hope that maybe you can convince your bosses to come over to your house and all huddle around your computer to listen to music with us instead.

After meticulously rewriting everyone's usernames (plus some more surprise users that joined the discord listening party without posting in the thread) on even smaller lotto balls and rolling them around, the Official Song Selector for next week is @Themajormel! Congratulations! You've got until Friday to give us some groovy tunes to dance to.

RYM

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-16 15:57:50

Hey guys, did any of you use your phones to do this discord party last week?

I'll be out of town on business, but I might put discord on my phone so that if I'm not with my bosses, I can listen in.

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-16 16:10:13

At 1/16/19 03:57 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Hey guys, did any of you use your phones to do this discord party last week?
I'll be out of town on business, but I might put discord on my phone so that if I'm not with my bosses, I can listen in.

I tested it on my phone when I was getting DJ Roboman ready and I didn't have any issues. I say give it a shot yo

RYM

BBS Signature

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-16 16:29:31

Didn't even see this thread and I'm ashamed of myself. Currently listening to Idles and this is some good stuff. Music reminds me of that kind of music that comes on during Colin Furze's montages on yt. Might not be able to make it to the discord listens but sign me up for the thread regardless please

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-18 16:46:29

At 1/16/19 03:57 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Hey guys, did any of you use your phones to do this discord party last week?

I switched to my phone late in the afterparty and it worked really well, other than my internet being garbage.

Also at this rate it looks like majormel isn't showing up, we're probably gonna fall back to Madvillainy instead if he doesn't

Response to Album of the Week ♫ 2019-01-18 22:57:05 (edited 2019-01-18 23:02:12)

At 1/18/19 04:46 PM, Jackho wrote: Also at this rate it looks like majormel isn't showing up, we're probably gonna fall back to Madvillainy instead if he doesn't

SPOKE TOO SOON, SUCKA.

Our boy @TheMajorMel has chosen "Split" by Lush as the album for Week 2. We'll be having another Discord listening party tomorrow evening, planning to start between 6-7PM EST. Time to get our reverb on!

Super-mega-hyper-exclusive Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/t6nfKr

Links for Listening: Spotify | Apple

iu_2925_3064767.png

@argile @BadHorse413 @BrenTheMan @finicalpricklez @GallowJolt @Jackho @KieranBurgen @Malachy

@NekoMika @Nova @S3C @SevenSeize @SukiWukiDookie @TheMajormel @Zornuzkull

RYM

BBS Signature