00:00
00:00

Obscure game not many have heard of

905 Views | 60 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Suggest a diamond in the rough. Doesn't need to be new. It can be an oldie but goodie. Post a video of the game play or image of the game.

Haunting starring Polterguy. This game was hilariously fun. If I kick the bucket then this is the kind of thing I want to do in the afterlife.

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-07 19:34:14

At 1/6/19 05:13 PM, Abbyka wrote: Suggest a diamond in the rough. Doesn't need to be new. It can be an oldie but goodie. Post a video of the game play or image of the game.

the deadly mission is a great indie action game, but not many people know about it.

you can download it here: http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f2497.html

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-07 21:31:18

At 1/7/19 06:35 PM, ChoasStar wrote:

I've been meaning to get to this, horror games on Nintendo consoles are a rarity. But when they happen, they happen pretty good.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ Outer Space Rave Music ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-07 23:24:36

At 1/7/19 09:31 PM, Gameplay34 wrote:
I've been meaning to get to this, horror games on Nintendo consoles are a rarity. But when they happen, they happen pretty good.

I can't remember if this was horror or not since it's been so long. But it gave my lil brother nightmares and my mom took away all of our games so he would stop wetting the bed. Fucking wimp. :/ He's 33 and I still tell him he's a pussy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QooekXgf1s4

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-08 15:17:42

iu_1515_3347235.jpg

You thought F-Zero GX is hard? Look again. This game makes Dark Souls look like a kids game.

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-08 18:43:04

iu_1528_4244295.jpg

BB Ball on GBA. There's hardly anything on it online, it's obscure even in Japan. It's basically a robo Pokémon sports game from what I can tell. Not even Japanese ppl know or care about what this shit is.

I had it as a kid so that's why I care, my dad got it for me when he was in China. He was duped though - the box said it was Crazy Frog Racer. Last year I bought a legit copy from Japan, beating it is on my bucket list (:

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 00:20:50

iu_1660_1539187.png

Oldschool survival horror fan.

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 06:56:35

Freedom Force is one of my favorite games.

Here's a recent review:

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 08:03:15

At 1/7/19 09:31 PM, Gameplay34 wrote:

We'll never get a sequel or another game designed like Sanity's Requiem, because they copyrighted it, and then the developers went under.

I'm the guy with the funny name.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 09:14:19

iu_1671_2802361.jpgGemfire for the NES, apparently the SNES as well. Really awesome turn based Risk style strategy game. Plus dragons and wizards. Super fun. Incredibly detailed and thought out for an NES title. You battle kingdoms to gather gems containing legendary wizards and a red dragon (that the wizards sacrificed themselves to imprison. The gems can summon them to your cause. All the gems form the crown Gemfire making you the ruler of the world. And there are so many secrets.

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 11:19:54

Here's some Gems and some criminally underrated games here on NG

Bim: (found it strolling the game, really fun and cool mechanics, went under radar, only got 2k views)

Fathom: (really cool puzzle game only 90k views)

Adventure plane:

Drop up:

Puzzle freak: (got a quarter of a mil views but I still think it desrves more props, been enjoying it for years)

Boss rush: ( got frontpaged and 45k plays but this game is evergreen, I play it once a month at least)

Klocki (amazing puzzle game, incredibly addicting, consider throwing the 1 buck to get the full game)

Rullo

You are here (brilliant puzzle game, minimalist, Game is relatively short, only 30 minutes. Don't look up the manuals.)

Gravity white ball (simple but messes with your head. hard and addicting)

Traffic collision 2 (insanely fun)

S.M.O.L (how the hell does this only have 32k plays?! Short but sweet)

Tiny Heist (Hands down one of the best games on NG. brilliant stealth game)

Big Tower Tiny Square (Please don't let the PPAP meme in there turn you off, the whole game is really fun )

Tomb Explorer Arcade(Sub 20k, this game could be in a damn archade)

Cancelled Refuge

This bunny kills 4:Fun (classic beat em up, really damn fun, childhood game)

Sky Chasers (breathtaking game, seriously, it shouldn't have only 60k plays)

Z3lda: Mini Game (A really fun deathink game that deserves more love)

Surplus snake (addicting as hell, can get really hard)

Tako Bubble

R-Type (I know it's an arcade game but even as an arcade game it's not that well known)

Waiting system

The Most Wonderful Game (NSFW, this is one of my favorite games on newgrounds, it's such a good shooter)

Ultimate warrior (quicktime game, really crazy, really fun, really hard)

Demolo

Mochi Mochi (was on front page a week ago but only has 5k plays, really good, deserves all the love)

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 11:41:42

The .hack saga it's so underrated it hurts

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 15:23:47

For the Sega Genesis...

Ristar and Dynamite Heady are both great and difficult platforming games. Both of them felt like they were trying to be mascots in the same way Sonic was.

Gunstar Heros is an excellent run and gun action game. Fast paced and you had different options in how you chose to play.

For the PS1...

Legend of Legaia is one of my all time favorite JRPGs. Excellent battle system and a great story.

Raiden 1 and 2 are great top down bullet hell games. Fun game you can pick up and drop easily.

For the PS2...

The Legend of Alondar is one of those action RPGs that's really bad, but also good at the same time. And it does get a little better the further along you go. It's a game not a lot of people would enjoy, but I did.

Jade Cocoon 2 was a fun game that seemed like it tried to ride off of the popularity of Pokemon. Team building RPG with a strange battle system. Never played the first one, but I've heard that a lot of people liked it for the large amount of customization it had. The two are very different games.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 16:05:48

Anyone remember Starfy?

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 16:10:56

With the exception of Border Down these aren't super obscure but I wish there were modern releases available:

Einhander - PS1

iu_1712_1.jpg

Radient Silvergun - Saturn. Might come to Switch. I somehow missed it on XBLA.

iu_1711_1.png

Border Down - Dreamcast. I never actually got to play this one.

iu_1713_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 16:17:02

At 1/10/19 03:23 PM, LeopoldAlcock wrote:
For the PS1...
Legend of Legaia is one of my all time favorite JRPGs. Excellent battle system and a great story.
Raiden 1 and 2 are great top down bullet hell games. Fun game you can pick up and drop easily.

OMFG YES! I loved that one! Have you played Wild ARMS? I got into that game after beating Legaia.

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 16:17:46

Here's one that really is obscure... Shubibinman 3 aka Overhauled Man 3. This was a PC Engine CD release I imported back in the day and despite its flaws it was super inspiring to me.

iu_1714_1.png iu_1715_1.gifiu_1716_1.gif iu_1717_1.png

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 18:36:53

iu_1731_4724625.jpg

This game.

It was sadly overtaken when Mother 3 got release around the same time.

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 18:50:15

Darkwood

Sunless sea

Lobotomy corporation

Postal (original)

shitposting stops the pain

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 21:07:33

Not sure if this counts but Beyond Good & Evil (early 2000s) wasn't known by many till the recent release during last years E3 (pic from imbd dot com).

iu_1743_6134623.jpg

Maybe Legend of Dragoon (I played on the PlayStation). Played the demo on a JamPak CD then got the game during summer break. Still haven't finished as I'm stuck in Mayfil (pic from game booklet - from cutscene featured on Disc 2).

iu_1744_6134623.jpg

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 21:51:35

Battle of the Youstrass

Infestation (the Frontier Entertainment space game, not the zombie one)

Sammy Suricate

and a few others, but I'm not sure how obscure they are

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 22:28:21

iu_1749_7199334.jpg

Not super obscure, but I think anyone who is a fan of action games needs to play Platinum's The Wonderful 101 since it didn't so hot from being on the Wii U. The gameplay is pretty unconventional because you recruit and lead a group of around 100 people in each stage you explore, but they group together and form different weapons based on which color coded character you're using. It takes getting used to since switching to a weapon literally involves drawing it (either with the touch screen or right control stick), but there's depth to the combat and can be pretty fun when you get the hang of it. Once you do get the combat down, I will say you'll be mowing down hordes of giant alien robots using a giant fist you literally made from the bodies of random civilians you call.

I think the visuals are nice and cartoonish, the OST is bombastic and adds to the "epic" nature of the game, & the story did manage to charm and move me near the end.

Let's hope the game sees a release on Nintendo Switch since the Wii U didn't move many units. This game deserves another chance.

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 22:42:56

At 1/10/19 04:17 PM, Abbyka wrote:
OMFG YES! I loved that one! Have you played Wild ARMS? I got into that game after beating Legaia.

Never heard of it before now. What's it like?

At 1/10/19 04:41 PM, Abbyka wrote: Anyone ever play Bubsy?

Unfortunately 😥

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-10 23:29:31

At 1/10/19 11:41 AM, Sometipo wrote: The .hack saga it's so underrated it hurts

I did not get much of a chance to play them years ago but nice to see the first three and an additional game are now on PC. The dungeon system was interesting since you had to string together two to three words and hope they would send you to the right place.

Request Reviews // #7 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer

Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-11 00:20:42

At 1/10/19 10:42 PM, LeopoldAlcock wrote:
At 1/10/19 04:17 PM, Abbyka wrote:
Never heard of it before now. What's it like?

At 1/10/19 04:41 PM, Abbyka wrote: Anyone ever play Bubsy?
Unfortunately 😥

It's kind of like a western, I guess though it'd be steam punk? 1 and 3 are the best in my opinion. Alter code F was also good, but really just a rehash.

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-11 06:39:43

At 1/6/19 05:13 PM, Abbyka wrote: Suggest a diamond in the rough. Doesn't need to be new. It can be an oldie but goodie. Post a video of the game play or image of the game.

Haunting starring Polterguy. This game was hilariously fun. If I kick the bucket then this is the kind of thing I want to do in the afterlife.

Unlimited Saga (SQUARE ENIX, PS2, 2002): Received lukewarm reception in the West but it has an unbelievably remarkable soundtrack by Masashi Hamauzu.

iu_1767_7205044.jpg

Susu <3

Response to Obscure game not many have heard of 2019-01-11 06:42:11

At 1/10/19 12:20 AM, VooDooDollMaster wrote:

Oh gosh, creepy box cover art. I've never seen this game before.

Susu <3