00:00
00:00

What artists inspire you?

281 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What artists inspire you? 2019-01-04 16:19:08

As the topic states, which artists inspire you the most? And if not artists, what other media?

For me the likes of Richard Corben, Pascal Blanché and Simon Bisley give me a great source of inspiration. In terms of media, growing up with Bakshi movies like Wizards and Fire & Ice also stoked the fires of my imagination.

I'm curious to see your inspirations.

-SNF

from a storytelling perspective ONE (the creator of one punch man) and stan lee, they both created worlds full of live that are enjoyed by millions all around the world

from an drawing perspective kohei horikoshi, yuki tabata and yusuke murata are my inpirations, i love battles and for me they are the best at their craft

also the crew at rooster teeth, they just create some awesome stuff and are an inspiration for this little idiot right here

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-04 23:07:12

The artists that have most influenced my current style are Chalo-Dillo and C.Z.Hwang

iu_1269_3167862.jpg

iu_1270_3167862.pngiu_1273_3167862.png

iu_1271_3167862.jpg

iu_1272_3167862.jpg

iu_1274_3167862.jpg

Chalo-dillo does a lot of fantastic personality and emotional work. CZHwang is the kind of artist that I probably shouldn't like, but I just do. There's something magical about it.

There's probably other artists that I like better, but these are the two that make me think, "I want to do what they do".

I've heard from several people that 3D art is automatically less expressive than 2D art, especially in video games. And I can agree that a lot of 3D isn't very expressive, but I don't believe that this is a limitation of the medium, and it's sort of my life's mission to prove it. When I make 3D art, I want my characters to be as alive and vibrant as the 2D works of CZHwang and Chalo-dillo.

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-05 16:57:25

My main boy Frizzy

I'm not sure if Frank Frazetta 's works are inspiring to me or resonate with me (or both) but either way I love his work and he's currently one of the benchmarks I hold for quality and artistic excellence. I love looking at his works and I have printed out on my crappy black&white printer one of his works and I have it hanging in my room. (pic related)

A few more would be Hajime sorayama, Hiroyuki imaishi, yoh yoshinari, sushio, jim lee, kim jung gi...

I'm also pretty found of this kid called deathink. He's pretty cool, I guess.

iu_1317_5518054.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-06 06:30:16

At 1/4/19 11:07 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: The artists that have most influenced my current style are Chalo-Dillo and C.Z.Hwang

-

They seem to have very vibrant styles!

As for 3D art being less expressive, 3D has the added trouble of a technical layer on top of an artistic one that can initially result in less expressive gestures or facial expression, but as with anything enough experience will overcome the difficulty. Just check the top 3D posts over on artstation. Absolute masters and I hope to one day join them!

-

At 1/5/19 04:57 PM, EiGiBeast wrote: I'm not sure if Frank Frazetta 's works are inspiring to me or resonate with me (or both) but either way I love his work and he's currently one of the benchmarks I hold for quality and artistic excellence. I love looking at his works and I have printed out on my crappy black&white printer one of his works and I have it hanging in my room. (pic related)

-

Frazetta is excellent! He does some truly badass barbarians. Fire & Ice really got me into his works when I was a kid. When I think barbarians, Frazetta's Darkwolf is the first thing to pop into my mind.

-SNF

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-06 07:58:19

At 1/6/19 06:30 AM, SiakNoFethk wrote: They seem to have very vibrant styles!
As for 3D art being less expressive, 3D has the added trouble of a technical layer on top of an artistic one that can initially result in less expressive gestures or facial expression, but as with anything enough experience will overcome the difficulty. Just check the top 3D posts over on artstation. Absolute masters and I hope to one day join them!

I'I'm not sure how 3d got in here but since you brought it up my favorite 3d artist is Obstetrician M. Obstetrician M is easily my favorite sculptor of all time their work is ascension level good.

( https://twitter.com/obstetrician_M )

iu_1370_5518054.jpgiu_1369_5518054.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-06 08:07:51

At 1/6/19 07:58 AM, EiGiBeast wrote:
At 1/6/19 06:30 AM, SiakNoFethk wrote: They seem to have very vibrant styles!
I'I'm not sure how 3d got in here but since you brought it up my favorite 3d artist is Obstetrician M. Obstetrician M is easily my favorite sculptor of all time their work is ascension level good.
( https://twitter.com/obstetrician_M )

My apologies, I was attempting to respond to multiple posts at once and am still somewhat unsure of how of how the forums function in regards to replies and notifications. I believe I have a grasp on it now though.

As for the artist, the sculpts are great though content wise are a touch overly erotic for my tastes. I quite like the way they do the characters legs with the extra high heels.

-SNF

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-06 08:22:14

At 1/6/19 08:07 AM, SiakNoFethk wrote: My apologies, I was attempting to respond to multiple posts at once and am still somewhat unsure of how of how the forums function in regards to replies and notifications. I believe I have a grasp on it now though.

Oh I see

By the way, there's a forum signature function on NG so it can put your initials or whatever you like down at the bottom of your post instead of having to type em every time yourself. You can also couple an image with it if you want.

This is the link to edit it https://www.newgrounds.com/account/signature you can also get to it through account settings

(example the image you see at the bottom of my posts)

BBS Signature

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-06 19:50:29

Gustave Moreau

This guy ^ Stunning work. synonymous with dedication. Just like Leonardo da Vinci

The study on form alone is what got me into

[NSFW]

Alberto Vargas

This man knows form and body very well. Then again you run into people you don't see eye to eye with. The number of arguments I had to endure because of issues of sexuality, morals, ethics and so forth.

[NSFW]

R. Crumb

Read up on this guy if you feel bad about yourself and remember it's sometime better on paper so you can toss it away. Or it turns to shit and you throw that.

iu_1408_5250223.gif

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-08 08:56:21

Junji Ito

iu_1504_5920428.jpg

John Kenn Mortensen

iu_1505_5920428.jpg

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-09 02:37:33

There's a few folks I follow here on NG that I admire a lot for their skill but I won't mention for fear of seeming like a creeper.

Amanda LaFrenais

She does a lot of fun/funny largely sex positive smut and I respect the shit out of her for it. Her SFW work is a lot of fun to read too.

Ovens

Everything I said above can be applied here as well.

Chris "Coop" Cooper

As a fan of Psychobilly and pinup art this dude's work is so far up my alley I should make him buy me dinner.

Gil Elvgren

"Good Girl" art is not usually my cup of tea but Gil Elvgren's pinup work is a notable exception

Crystal Wall Lancaster

Her pinup work is much more my usual style (not to make undue comparisons to her work and mine) Her work has a much more animated look to it that I really dig.

Joanna Davidovich

You're probably noticing a pattern in my predilection for vintage styles. Joanna Davidovich produces some of the best classic animation styled work I've seen.

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-09 02:50:07

Steve ditko, Jack Kirby, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Akira Toriyama, Hirohiko Araki . For comic/manga artists

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-09 03:16:17

At 1/8/19 08:56 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Junji Ito

John Kenn Mortensen

Magnificence, yet unsettling. I shutter as I find myself wanting more.

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-09 03:18:34

At 1/9/19 03:16 AM, animasouloss wrote:

John Kenn Mortensen

Someone compiled his works here:

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-09 03:20:43

At 1/9/19 02:50 AM, Forgetme000 wrote: Steve ditko, Jack Kirby, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Akira Toriyama, Hirohiko Araki . For comic/manga artists

Other stuff artist DaVinci Raphael Michelangelo Rembrandt Salvador Dali, monet, Alphonse Mucha, and goya. Im a terrible painter but I've always wanted to emulate there work in pencil if i was a better artist

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-09 03:35:35

At 1/9/19 02:37 AM, DrBoots wrote: There's a few folks I follow here on NG that I admire a lot for their skill but I won't mention for fear of seeming like a creeper.

Amanda LaFrenais
She does a lot of fun/funny largely sex positive smut and I respect the shit out of her for it. Her SFW work is a lot of fun to read too.

Ovens
Everything I said above can be applied here as well.

Chris "Coop" Cooper
As a fan of Psychobilly and pinup art this dude's work is so far up my alley I should make him buy me dinner.

Gil Elvgren
"Good Girl" art is not usually my cup of tea but Gil Elvgren's pinup work is a notable exception

Crystal Wall Lancaster
Her pinup work is much more my usual style (not to make undue comparisons to her work and mine) Her work has a much more animated look to it that I really dig.

Joanna Davidovich
You're probably noticing a pattern in my predilection for vintage styles. Joanna Davidovich produces some of the best classic animation styled work I've seen.

Oh hot damn you got fine taste. The last 3 links got some spicy kicks i say.Gil Elvgren! That who i was looking. Funny how names can escape you sometime you know?

Kinda Like H.R. Giger

When I think the word alien I see but I sometimes forget who made that, you know?

iu_1565_5250223.jpg

Who would what thougth the same person made the two?iu_1566_5250223.jpg

Sensually brutal is what i think.

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-09 03:42:59

At 1/9/19 03:18 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 1/9/19 03:16 AM, animasouloss wrote:

John Kenn Mortensen
Someone compiled his works here:

THAT MUSIC DOES NOT HELP!

I love it yet hate myself for doing it, thank you.

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-09 15:43:36

call it nostalgia, But i really love the art in pokemon adventures from book 1 to book 13 I like its familiar yet unique look, I also love scratchy looking noir-esque sketches

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-09 20:45:07

2814 is a huge influence on my ambient projects

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-10 00:26:20

Floating in space

BBS Signature

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-10 01:55:46

There are many artists that inspire me and want to continue pursuing animation. Some of them are: Hayao Miyazaki, Chuck Jones, Ryan Larkin.

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-10 02:07:53

Yoji Shinkawa, this guy did concept artwork for the entire Metal Gear Solid series, what else? I love how dramatic his drawings look, especially with his coloring that gives a huge impact to them.

Hisashi Eguchi, simply soft and elegant, his drawings are really comfy to look at, especially his coloring.

Animation wise, it's probably Studio Trigger, especially when Hiroyuki Imaishi or Yoh Yoshinari is involved in the projects.

And who would forget James Baxter? And Roger Williams? Those 2 are legends to my eyes.

Woah, damn, shit, FUCK

I am greatly inspired by Gashi-Gashi and Gullacass, and sometimes even inspired by SeelMaru.

-

I linked their galleries below. :p

I highly suggest checking them out if you're into cartoony art and dark but cute theming!

I find myself zooming into their drawings to see what they did to make them.

Some are just super creative and I aspire for a similar level of creativity.

-

Gashi-Gashi

I love how they draw such huge complex drawings,

and how expressive their art is.

Gullacass

Their shading is so detailed, and I love how they

draw gore and other horror in such a cute way!

SeelMaru (GroundLion)

They make really great animations, as well as,

have a creative way of maintaining and entertaining a fanbase.

Sleepykinq

Also makes amazing animations, and I love how

creative yet simplistic their art is. Think like a modern version

of cartoon art. Ahead of their time. I can't explain it.

It's just really fun to look at and study.

--

Another inspiration I take from is Slugbox, they draw mainly nsfw, but their art is so detailed and smooth

that I can't help but admire and inspire to reach it's level of perfection.

Slugbox

~Love Baki(Dynocation)

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-11 01:53:52

At 1/4/19 04:19 PM, SiakNoFethk wrote: As the topic states, which artists inspire you the most? And if not artists, what other media?
For me the likes of Richard Corben, Pascal Blanché and Simon Bisley give me a great source of inspiration. In terms of media, growing up with Bakshi movies like Wizards and Fire & Ice also stoked the fires of my imagination.
I'm curious to see your inspirations.
-SNF

Takehito Harada (Disgaea)

Yoshinari Yoh (Little Witch Academia)

Soejima Shigenori (Persona)

Albert Bierstadt (19th century painter)

Sushio (Kill la Kill)

Tanaka Masayoshi (Your Name)

Zankuro (Hentai artist)

and others...

Susu <3

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-11 02:56:24

Hmmmm, I'm personally very fond of, how do I put it... you, there's a certain kind of asian artists who have a style you might call "angular" or something like that. Koreans and japanese mostly - they're a little bit different though, with koreans having somewhat more "geometrical" approach so to say, but you can still say they have something in common in terms of style.

Perhaps the first coming to mind are Kubo Tite in his better days and maybe Hiroyuki Takei's late works (somewhere from kanzenban edition of "Shaman King" and on). The best example though is this cool dude Tomio Ogata drawing real cool dudes I'm just dying literally it looks too damn good.

Speaking of korean artist, I'd mention 22o22 with their awesome Undertale fanart. Also these IHNMAIMS sketches by some korean artist with unpronouncable username are another one nice example of such artstyle.

First pic is Ogata's, second is 22o22.

iu_1761_7116825.jpg

iu_1762_7116825.jpg

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-11 03:00:35

Usually I'm inspired by the ones I don't like. My creative process mostly comes as a result of me looking at things and asking myself, "Why don't I like this? What would make it better?" and either combining elements I do like or subverting ones I don't.

I consider my short story Tar to be a good example of this. Although a lot of the imagery is based on my personal experiences with depression, there's also inspiration from a LOT of other works. For instance, the idea of characterizing mental illness or emotion as a monster came from The Babadook (which is grief.) The tar itself is loosely based on the gel that climbs up Neo's body in The Matrix, right before he exits it for the first time. However, a lot of the tone is also borrowed from the scene in The Neverending Story where Artax dies in the swamp (this is probably my heaviest inspiration, though subconsciously; I completely forgot about this until months after I finished the story.) One other slightly less obvious inspiration is the style of the story, with everything zooming into one scene in exquisite detail to make the action seem to last forever. This is actually inspired from the scene in Funny Games (the original 1997 version) where the husband is killed and there's a long take (~10 minutes) of the wife just laying there. The artistic message seems a lot like "she endures it, so the audience has to endure it," and that's what I wanted to try and capture in the story, making the whole ordeal feel almost endless.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-11 03:59:39

At 1/5/19 04:57 PM, EiGiBeast wrote: My main boy Frizzy
I'm not sure if Frank Frazetta 's works are inspiring to me or resonate with me (or both) but either way I love his work and he's currently one of the benchmarks I hold for quality and artistic excellence. I love looking at his works and I have printed out on my crappy black&white printer one of his works and I have it hanging in my room. (pic related)

A few more would be Hajime sorayama, Hiroyuki imaishi, yoh yoshinari, sushio, jim lee, kim jung gi...
I'm also pretty found of this kid called deathink. He's pretty cool, I guess.

Gee, when you put it that way for Frazetta, I guess I should have a benchmark artist as well. There are many artists I look up to but for stylistic reasons, I do admire the environmental paintings of Albert Bierstadt, the best environmental painter I've ever seen.

Susu <3

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-11 16:12:48

When I was a kid, my parents were musicians. They taught me to play music, and exposed me to lots of it. From the oldies, to punk, to grunge rock. I really have to thank them for inserting these cultural influences into my life. Because of it, I grew up listening to the messages of generations before me, more so than my own generation.

My generation is lazy, and makes lazy computer music, without lyrics. When their are lyrics, they are seriously fucking retarded, like they're as rude as Eminem without any of the talent, or the humor.

Besides, I play guitar, drums, bass, and I sing. I have no place in this day and age of Fruity Loops music studio and mumble rap. This music has no soul. You can't love the instruments, because no one is playing them. It's a sample, of a cookie cutter copy of another sample. It sucks. Then the message is usually something along the lines of "my dick and my gun, and a bitch, and the club. I'm the greatest, I demand respect without earning it, and if I ever did earn it, it would be by ripping other people off, and beating up someone smaller than me."

The worst part? The phenomenon that is asshole, ignorant, arrogant, piece of shit drug addicted "musicians" is fucking global. Nobody disagrees. Everyone likes it. So it really goes to show how much of a tool mentality most people are on, all the time.

Music doesn't mean shit. If it ever did, it was for kids and teenagers, and grown man children trying to talk tough.

It's a slap in the face of our entire species that we could have ever gone from classical music, and pianos, and strings instruments, and even a fucking old western bar with a player piano.. That we could ever go from that, to the decay and destruction of the human spirit that music is today.

Who let the dogs out?

Minorities.

Goodbye real music.

Hello songs about butts.

No one has any depth anymore. What they say is exactly what they mean. And what they mean to say is that they don't give a fuck, they're just here on this planet for a couple foolish, shallow reasons, and that's that.

I swear to god, every single woman from my generation got pregnant to songs like, "If you wanna come and take a ride with me, smoke an L... etc..." Fucking clowns. The rest? Mimes.

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-11 16:59:13

John Kenn Mortensen

Yes!!!!

Response to What artists inspire you? 2019-01-11 18:05:34

At 1/11/19 03:59 AM, Susu2 wrote: Gee, when you put it that way for Frazetta, I guess I should have a benchmark artist as well. There are many artists I look up to but for stylistic reasons, I do admire the environmental paintings of Albert Bierstadt, the best environmental painter I've ever seen.

I don't think you need to have only 1 benchmark artist but I think it's super good for an artist to look around him and ask what's the best of the best and work hard to reach above and beyond that. You can also just look at things you really like from different artists and ask " how do I do that but even cooler or better"

That aside I looked up Albert Bierstadt. This is breathtaking. These are some landscapes.

BBS Signature