00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dialusional just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜

33,237 Views | 694 Replies

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-07 08:28:59

At 1/7/19 06:56 AM, TheBoogyFlicker wrote: I don't know how many I wanna read. Probably won't have too much time for it but there will be mandatroy reading for school. I suppose I'll give myself a goal of 50 books, we'll see if I can do it.
Actually no, that's too ambitious. I'll try doing thirty. Mandatory stuff does count, right?

Oh I absolutely count mandatory stuff.

If I'm spending the next 5 months looking at these textbooks, I want credit damn it.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-07 17:09:51

Ok I went to the library.

If I tell you I am going to the book store, STOP ME.

Be like "no u have books to read already k???"

If I show up in here with books from the bookstore, I need you to publicly shame me, because I have something else to finish reading first.

iu_1463_1414829.jpg

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-07 20:09:24

Well, this year I'm setting my aim for 30 books this year and I'm already one down! La personne et le sacré by Simon Weil is an extremely good, short and straight to the point philosophy essay.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-07 23:55:16

At 1/7/19 06:41 PM, ThatOne05 wrote: I finished Sick Puppy a week ago, sorry if I hadn't been updating my reading path for a while.

I began reading The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw and Bad Monkey (again by Carl Hiaasen...)

The Greatest Generation profiles what Brokaw, as a journalist, received from interviewing other people that were living in the age of the Great Depression and World War II, included are details and information about his own personal life.

I saw this one at the library today

I'm just here to meme right now though

iu_1493_1414829.jpg

Who uses bookmarks?

I confess that I don't, if it's my book, I just dog ear the pages.

Library book, I'll just make a bookmark.

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 01:29:20

At 1/2/19 12:50 AM, msd8115 wrote: I got a few new books for christmas, one by del toro.

I'm still reading world war z, its pretty long. But after that I gotts read this tom clancy book, I am legend, bugles are silent, day by day Armageddon shattered hourglass and the entire H.P lovecraft collection

"The Alchemist"

My experience with the story came from an audible book

Let me tell you, the best way to take the suspense out of a dramatic moment is with awkward voice interpretation.

I busted my sides laughing so hard.

If you know the tale then let me say this about what I heard.

The guy sounded like Pepé Le Pew in a fit of rage delicing war on all cucks in the land.iu_1498_5250223.jpg

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 11:46:55

Same as last year, I'll go for 16 books.

... what do you mean its not the same?! I splurged on some 16-bit and this is gonna be a sweet 16! 16! 16 books this year and that's final!

Okay, maybe 16 isn't the same from last year. But hey, I'll go for it.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 15:47:14

At 1/5/19 06:33 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: 2. The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson
3. The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen

These two sound awesome, went ahead and got kindle editions of both. Cosmic horror is something I nominally love but haven't actually explored other than Bloodborne and a bit of Lovecraft, I'm partly afraid to go too deep in case the concepts lose their appeal by exposure.

At 1/7/19 11:55 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Who uses bookmarks?

I have a few bookmarks around, but they're never in arms reach when I need them so instead I use yugioh cards most of the time. That's how you know I'm cultured.

@Rigoesbueno @chainychainick @GallowJolt @man-cruss welcome aboard y'all

@ThatOne05, are you setting a goal or just reading as you go?

At 1/7/19 06:56 AM, TheBoogyFlicker wrote: Actually no, that's too ambitious. I'll try doing thirty. Mandatory stuff does count, right?

Still ambitious unless you're already in a consistent reading routine. And yeah, all of it counts if you want.

At 1/6/19 05:24 PM, argile wrote: Nah count me out of it , I'm thinking it would be a better investment for me to buy albums sporadically through out the year.

Not sure how much of an investment buying albums in 2019 is, but fair enough.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 15:57:56

At 1/8/19 03:47 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 1/7/19 06:56 AM, TheBoogyFlicker wrote: Actually no, that's too ambitious. I'll try doing thirty. Mandatory stuff does count, right?
Still ambitious unless you're already in a consistent reading routine. And yeah, all of it counts if you want.

Ok then, 20. I think I can manage that much. However many I read in the end, it'll be a nice experience to try doing some book reviews for a change. It'll be nice to share it with you too. Hopefully I'll be more educated or something by the end of it. I really do want to get into literature and when I start reading, I can read a lot, I'm just lazy.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 16:05:58

I have a few bookmarks around, but they're never in arms reach when I need them so instead I use yugioh cards most of the time. That's how you know I'm cultured.

Yugioh cards are quite cultured good sir

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 16:09:15

At 1/8/19 04:05 PM, SevenSeize wrote:

Someone just gifted me some magnetic book marks for my birthday. Love them.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 16:11:01

At 1/8/19 04:09 PM, Abbyka wrote:

I got a few cat ones for Christmas, suppose I'll use them!

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 16:14:30

At 1/8/19 04:11 PM, SevenSeize wrote:
At 1/8/19 04:09 PM, Abbyka wrote:
I got a few cat ones for Christmas, suppose I'll use them!

Mine are Harry Potter. :D

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 16:14:38

At 1/8/19 03:47 PM, Jackho wrote: These two sound awesome, went ahead and got kindle editions of both. Cosmic horror is something I nominally love but haven't actually explored other than Bloodborne and a bit of Lovecraft, I'm partly afraid to go too deep in case the concepts lose their appeal by exposure.

Of the Weird Fiction big hitters Lovecraft is pretty low down the list for me honestly. Full of great ideas but I find his writing itself relatively bland. M.R. James and Algernon Blackwood are my favourites, and I'll definitely be reading more Hodgson and Machen in the future.

If you are going to dive into just keep in mind that the stuff pop culture tends to draw from it (mostly big squids) is a relatively small part of the genre as a whole.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 16:47:29

At 1/8/19 04:14 PM, Abbyka wrote:

Did you get yours from wands too? I got a Harry, two Rons and a Luna before I decided to stop tempting fate. It's not my fault there aren't a lot of marketable Hufflepuffs. It could be argued Ron is Hufflepuff adjacent.

I picked up the Harry Potter books for the first time in forever a while back because I was going to a comic convention with my niece and there was an escape room we did not look to see you needed to pre-book. We still had a good time, despite the tension of her being a proud slytherin.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 16:51:08

At 1/8/19 04:47 PM, stafffighter wrote:

Did you get yours from wands too? I got a Harry, two Rons and a Luna before I decided to stop tempting fate. It's not my fault there aren't a lot of marketable Hufflepuffs. It could be argued Ron is Hufflepuff adjacent.

I picked up the Harry Potter books for the first time in forever a while back because I was going to a comic convention with my niece and there was an escape room we did not look to see you needed to pre-book. We still had a good time, despite the tension of her being a proud slytherin.

Huffllepuff here! Mine just look like house emblems.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 19:49:47

20% (82/444pg) through Typhoon Fury by Clive Cussler. Cussler's books have been a staple for me for a few years now since I was able to get a full set for about $30 at a Value Village. They're small and interesting enough to be manageable, but also disposable enough I can keep random copies in my car or at work.

So far, pretty good. Standard spy-thriller fare.

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 20:01:57

Why don't residents of Gotham City just expect ALL ground breaking ceremonies to be interrupted by villains.

Has there EVER been ANY public ceremony where someone doesn't show up and start shit?

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 20:34:30

At 1/8/19 04:51 PM, Abbyka wrote:
At 1/8/19 04:47 PM, stafffighter wrote:

Huffllepuff here! Mine just look like house emblems.

I thought for a while that I'd be a Slytherin but I ended up being a Ravenclaw, which is fine with me

"I'm not dabbing on my haters, I'm hiding my tears."

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 22:00:57

1) Birds & Bloom December 2018 Issue

Yup! My first reading item is a magazine. I have some books on hold that won't be available till Saturday and I'm excited to read them so be on the look out for Relic and The Ruins plus a third whose name escapes me but I got it to see if there's any mention of this book that was written in the 1920s that I've been hunting for since the Part 4 installment of my article series.

In regards to the bookmarks discussion, I haven't had one since the Summer Reading 2018 Challenge from the library. I mainly use the library book receipt, paper clips or a folded candy wrapper.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 22:02:02

This year I am going to try for five books.

I think it's pretty neat and fair that audio book counts as well. A good story can teach good storytelling no matter how the input was obtained. Beside, kinda hard to read and draw at the same time.

The Silmarillion

I heard this is where some of the deep lore lives so I plan on checking out what in so deep.

I am going to try to knock out The Stand

This one is heavy. That is all I know so far.

Loving it. I like Nick Andros. I can relate to him for some reason.Most of it is too unsettling for me to think too long about. I swear my heart ached knowing what Nick had to do to that dead woman. God, she must have been stunningly beautiful in that moment. Ugh...I made myself sad now.

Done with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Oh god, I could not stop laughing.

I don't wanna spoil anything, humor is as subjective as art so I don't wanna ruin the magic of a good joke.

I started on The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Kinda at odds with the crew in this one. To soon to tell what is going on. Still trying to make sense of how and why a two head person wants to pull some cloack and dagger over himself. Then again, great voice acting in this one. Nailed it, tops!

After which I wanna move on to Life, the Universe, and Everything

All books listed are can be found on Audible.com

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 22:14:32

At 1/2/19 11:40 AM, Fro wrote: I feel this is kind of a pathetic goal, but I want to read 3 books this year...

I read 2 books last year and started about 10 pages each of another 2 books. If I could finish the 2 that I started and read the new one I got for Christmas I'd be pretty excited.

I guess reading for myself can be hard after staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day and reading to the kiddo every night before bed.

My old man faked his dead once to get out of reading me bed time story when I was a kid.

Just saw the Lion King movie and was shaken up about the concept of death at the age of 5.

Don't know why I said that. Just thought it meant something.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-08 22:24:49

At 1/3/19 03:50 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Let's get on the board with my first one for the year.

1. Cat by Andrew Sinclair

A very by the numbers knockoff, "as gripping as Jaws" it ain't. The late 70s and early 80s saw a ton of killer animals books and films trying to cash in on the success of Benchley's novel, of varying quality, and Cat sits somewhere in the middle. Any scene with the titular beast in it is great, Sinclair doesn't do anything too remarkable but he ratchets up the tension nicely and some of the pictures he paints are pretty evocative; there's one scene in particular in which the master of a fox hunt confronts the cat with his whip while both are surrounded by the corpses of his hounds that the creature has just slaughtered that stuck with me.

Unfortunately whenever we cut away from the beast to focus on the human characters it stumbles somewhat. Our protagonist is a melodramatic toff and any time spent with him and his perfunctory love triangle and inheritance squabbles feels like it's only there to fill pages. It's a shame, as both the gamekeeper (obvious Quint stand in though he may be) and the policeman we follow in the early chapters would have made for more engaging leads.

On the whole it's not bad, it moves along at a brisk enough pace and for every chapter of this guy agonising over his bad back there's one of a panther fighting like 30 dogs at once or decapitating people with it's claws. You could certainly do better, but you could do worse too.

A wholly unremarkable start to 2019.

The concept sounds as trilling as

iu_1551_5250223.jpg

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-09 01:14:50

I intend to read 2 books a month. Mostly selections of Non fictions and fictions.

I'm currently reading Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-09 11:56:53

At 1/8/19 03:47 PM, Jackho wrote: Cosmic horror is something I nominally love but haven't actually explored other than Bloodborne and a bit of Lovecraft

Actually, speaking of Bloodborne, couldn't help but think of this while reading House on the Borderland. They're both not quite normal eclipses and the description in the book is very similar.

iu_1599_1212002.jpg

At 1/7/19 05:09 PM, SevenSeize wrote: If I tell you I am going to the book store, STOP ME.

If I show up in here with books from the bookstore, I need you to publicly shame me, because I have something else to finish reading first.

I did the same, except do not try to stop me. No one can stop me I am too powerful.

iu_1600_1212002.jpg

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-09 12:33:39

At 1/9/19 11:56 AM, Absurd-Ditties wrote:

At 1/7/19 05:09 PM, SevenSeize wrote: If I tell you I am going to the book store, STOP ME.

I did the same, except do not try to stop me. No one can stop me I am too powerful.

* bows to you*

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-09 14:56:08

At 1/6/19 05:24 PM, argile wrote: Nah count me out of it , I'm thinking it would be a better investment for me to buy albums sporadically through out the year.
Not sure how much of an investment buying albums in 2019 is, but fair enough.

You do possess a point , I mean Buying a album would been more feasible in other decades before even before Streaming services came more prominate in the late 2000s.I've been streaming music for a great deal since 2006 myself. I'm also using Audible as well so I'm thinking that might be more viable on my busy schedule.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-09 16:09:04

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-09 18:34:11

At 1/9/19 04:09 PM, Alias wrote: I'm here and I have a goal of 40 and...

January:

The Anarchist Cookbook

Oh the mischief people got into because of that.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-09 19:24:16

At 1/9/19 06:34 PM, animasouloss wrote:
At 1/9/19 04:09 PM, Alias wrote: I'm here and I have a goal of 40 and...

January:
The Anarchist Cookbook

Oh the mischief people got into because of that.

Right, lol! I really enjoyed it.

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-09 23:49:10

If yall are looking for something, I'm about 10 chapters in on this one, and it's excellent. Reminds me of Doctor Who a bit.

iu_1658_1414829.jpg

BBS Signature